Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: argh! am i going mad?

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    ....just been pondering my earlier post about how humans have evolved to be able to bear young pretty much anytime of the year as a result of the availability of food and shelter and all that. well, it struck me last night that the body must be going over drive with all these hormones, as its clear that women really don't need to ovulate etc. every month, apart from anything its one of those bizaare things that really defy the efficiency of nature. in the world, biological systems have evolved to be as efficient at what ever process they do as possible, take the cycle of ovulation and menstruation and you can see my thinking [I hope] - why on earth would it go and waste an egg and a fair bit of blood (i.e. resources) so often? there's no need to.
    this is evident when perhaps a woman gets sick, her cycle is interupted and no longer regular, it might skip a couple of weeks and then start up again once she's better. so clearly in a sickened state the body realises that there's no way its going to take a baby and this non-essential process is halted. similarly in accidents that are potentially life threatening the cycle is disrupted. so there in my mind the evidence suggests that the body, though sensing trauma, "knows" when conditions are acceptable enough to sustain a developing embryo...which it prepares for every month. this monthly process therefore is not essential by any stretch of the imagination - i'm aware there is an injection women can have that pretty much stops it in its tracks for about 3 months, and they are fine...i believe anyway.
    so, with reference to the thread title; are you going mad? no, but your body apparently is.
    ...hmm...got my mind pondering now, feel free anyone to add...
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    Maybe there should be a private forums for the women, I'm sure it'd give them a place to talk abotu stuff like this without ppl butting in, if they think its a GD discussion they can post it here or in BF if they wanna just ask the girlies....

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    well, if some blokes have something to add wont that exclude them a bit? and having a girlies forum sort of divides the whole of hexus down the middle.
    if girls get a forum then it stands to reason that blokes get one too - and i'm sure slanderous attacks against the other sex will occur in each; parking jokes a pleanty in the blokes one, severe ineptitude in the girlies one...[thats ineptitude towards blokes, just in case you thought i was being an *rse, or inept as I suspect]
    no, i don't think that would be wise. keep everyone together - more friendly that way.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Don't feed the trolls... tiggerai's Avatar
    Thanks
    • tiggerai's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD PhenomII 955BE
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb Corsair XMS DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire X1950XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 550w
      • Case:
      • Antec lovely black thing
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 20" widescreen
      • Internet:
      • Pipexpants

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig
    Maybe there should be a private forums for the women, I'm sure it'd give them a place to talk abotu stuff like this without ppl butting in, if they think its a GD discussion they can post it here or in BF if they wanna just ask the girlies....

Actually I feel that posting it here has proboly helped in a way, as some men are totally clueless about things like this. (Not intentionally...) It'll probably highlight some of the problems that do occur, and how to help! (Hint to all boyfriends and husbands... HUGS ARE GOOD)

Crying is also good for you. I always feel better after a good cry. Even if it's because my top is the wrong colour purple that day!

If we wanted a girly forum, we would go and post on Ivillage or something, not come here in the first instance!

Peace to the boys and Hugs for all the Hexus Girlys!

luv,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shiato storm
    p.s. subject to

ovulation is not the same as menstruation...just wanted to clear that up.

I didnt say it was... I was quoting one of the quotes cat woman was talking about from the always packets...

As for your argument about menstruation and the 28 day cycle not being essential, in our society i think it is. Imagine us women could only get pregnant during 3 months of the year... say, april, may and june... Then there'd be a HUGE number of pregnancies all at the same time, and maternity hospitals and midwives would have their work cut out. Also, apart from dolphins (and gorillas??) we're the only mammals (or so i've been told) that take part in sexual intercourse for pleasure. Maybe that's an argument for why we shouldnt ovulate every month, i'm not sure, but our bodies dont know that we are using contraception of any kind (except in the case of the injection) so the womb prepares itself for ovulation and then fertilisation and finally attatchment to the wall of the womb. If the egg then isnt fertilised, then the womb sheds it's lining it's prepared for the fertilised egg and that is what a period is. I wouldnt say it was a waste of blood, it's excess blood, and it's only about 3/4 table spoons at most (it seems more than that, yeah but it's not). The pains come from the contraction of the womb's muscles shedding the lining, causing cramp, so it makes sense that the pain comes DURING the period and NOT BEFORE. There really isnt a hell of a lot you can do about PMT i'm afraid.

As keeps being said tho, please DONT confuse PMT with period pain, it's TOTALLY different! hot water bottles and pain killers and massages dont help PMT.

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Woman
    "Always" have interesting menstrual facts on their...packaging!....Makes the whole ordeal a little more amusing I find.
    Yeah ive noticed them, rather funny arent they?

South Barrule from Cringle Plantation (with a Landy )

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    thanks for all your help people im feeling better today, got some essays back this afternoon which has helped alot since ive spent the last 8 weeks worrying myself silly over my marks and im glad to say ive passed em both... and well above the pass rate too! so im a happy bunny

Yes, for my sins I'm offically Zak33's *better* half... Sair33's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai
    Crying is also good for you. I always feel better after a good cry. Even if it's because my top is the wrong colour purple that day!
    LOL!!! It's also good to know it's not just me!!! (and I should think its good for the blokes to know that it's not just their other halves!) I remember I cried once because I saw a dead rabbit at the side of the road on my way to work!! Whats that all about?!!

Quote Originally Posted by lynni
    im feeling better today
    Glad to hear it mrs!!! Hope it made you feel better knowing its not just you who gets like that too!

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.... It was them that started me drinking.

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sair
    LOL!!! It's also good to know it's not just me!!! (and I should think its good for the blokes to know that it's not just their other halves!) I remember I cried once because I saw a dead rabbit at the side of the road on my way to work!! Whats that all about?!!
    yeah i can relate to that, i can remember being due on and reading that book 'About a boy' anyone ever read it? well i was at probably the most horrific chapter and had been wanting to cry for 20 mins or so, and then tim gave me this cup, that he had hidden in his wardrobe and forgotten about (a xmas pressie ) OH MY GOD i cried for like half an hour when he gave it me the poor guy was like 'its a cup whats the matter with you?' was a tiny weeny bit about that!!
    Last edited by lynni; 29-04-2004 at 08:33 PM.

The Jelly made me do it! Honoop's Avatar
    Thanks
    You guys are wicked!
    Im actually having a bit of a downer because my body has freaked out this month and Im now on my second period in the space of two weeks!! Aaaaahhhhh!!
    I cant be assed to do anything, feel like the biggest, fattest, ugliest woman in the world and I have no-one to Hug!! (Ahh)

But reading this has made me smile..... we are not alone!

And tomorrow Im out getting drunk so all will be good with the world!

XxX
    If you're not living on the edge, you take up too much room

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Honoop
    You guys are wicked!
    Im actually having a bit of a downer because my body has freaked out this month and Im now on my second period in the space of two weeks!! Aaaaahhhhh!!
    I cant be assed to do anything, feel like the biggest, fattest, ugliest woman in the world and I have no-one to Hug!! (Ahh)

But reading this has made me smile..... we are not alone!

And tomorrow Im out getting drunk so all will be good with the world!

XxX
    yep i know that feeling as well.... what i dont get, is how i seem to have PMT two weeks before i come on, not a couple of days so then i forget about it and all of a sudden ive come on and im like 'ok where did this come from?' and then it occurs to me the pyscho bitch about a fortnight ago may have been PMT!!!

tumble is comeing to see me tm night, and he owes me five hugs on top of the ones i will be getting anyway (one for everyday of the week love )

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by [GSV]Trig
    Funny you should say that.....

Let's just say that Hexus evolves as people need it to.

The Jelly made me do it! Honoop's Avatar
    Thanks
    K - I now have Hug jealousy.......
    If you're not living on the edge, you take up too much room

Thanks
    Have an e-hug on me, with best wishes

Best I can do

Thanks
    hey lynni, thought u'd gone to bed... liar

Tumble's Rear Gunner
    Thanks
    ooops sorry didnt mean to upset you! go and get hold of deckard, im sure he wont mind

And debbie will understand, being a woman and all

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information