Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: When a joke goes too far

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

When a joke goes too far

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20645838

Quote Originally Posted by beeb
    Scotland Yard says officers responded at 09:35 GMT on Friday to reports of a woman found unconscious at an address in Weymouth Street, central London.

It is understood the dead woman took a hoax call from an Australian radio station earlier this week.
    This nurse took a prank call, from an Auzzie radio station, and didn't appear to realise it was a joke. She disclosed personal information relating to the health of some lady who I don't give a toss about, but apparently most do.

As a result she ended up taking her own life.

The thing is, I will in no way condem the pranksters, they where just winging it and ultimately did nothing wrong. It was after all the hospitals lax rules and training on data security which resulted in the embarresment.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: When a joke goes too far

Copied from another thread I posted (now closed 'cos it crossed with this) ....

Reports are coming in that the nurse at the centre of the Kate Middleton hoax call by two Australian morons, sorry, "presenters" has been found dead, and reportedly, committed suicide.

Details are few, and circumstances sketchy, but you have to wonder if it's feasible for there to be no link between the two events?

I hope those two idiots that made this prank call are thoroughly ashamed of themselves. But somehow, I doubt it.

Link to BBC story

Thanks

See Saracen, I don't know if its my computer security background, that labels the radio presenters as just "penetration testers" *giggady* but they shouldn't have been able to do what they did. The system around the hospital information could do with a bit of fixing.

What I'd imagine is sadly likely however is that the hospital choose to blame the nurse.

If that is the case, I hold nothing against the radio DJs. Being a radio DJ is arguably a far harsher punishment than this crime deserves.

But I would like to know what training, what pratices and systems the hospital has in place for handling calls and confidential information.

I would also suggest anyone listens to the radio clip, before condeming them as been malicious.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Edit - Note - Animus, our posts crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post

The thing is, I will in no way condem the pranksters, they where just winging it and ultimately did nothing wrong. It was after all the hospitals lax rules and training on data security which resulted in the embarresment.
    I'll condemn them.

Like you, I have no brief, one way or the other, for Kate Middleton, but she deserves the same privacy from nosy and interfering morons seeking to gain private medical details that the rest of us do.

Yes, clearly, the hospital staff should have verified the source of the call before revealing ANYTHING, including that Kate was even there. But nonetheless, without idiots like these two pratts making hoax calls, there'd have been no need for that.

This is not dissimilar to the morons in our own press deciding it's okay to hack the phone voicemail of murdered children, with the single exception that that was criminal as well as disgraceful.

Why is it that a small but senseless section of the media think they any any justification in this sort of thing? Oh yeah, because they're morons.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

See Saracen, I don't know if its my computer security background, that labels the radio presenters as just "penetration testers" *giggady* but they shouldn't have been able to do what they did. The system around the hospital information could do with a bit of fixing.....
    Agreed on the culpability of the hospital and/or individual members of staff, and agreed about training.

But, in my lexicon, penetration testing is all about testing a site or facilities security with their knowledge, and at their request. The staff being tested do not need to know a test is being run, by management damn well have to have authorised it. Otherwise, in the computer context, it's very likely a criminal offence anyway. And unless the hospital authorised it, which I'm sure you'd agree is very doubtful, it's not an apt analogy. Though, for the sake of clarity, I'm sure that "penetration testing" comment wasn't exactly serious.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

I agree with you both. The presenters are morons (2Day FM is owned by Fox - enough said) as can be found out with a quick trawl through the web. However, what sort of pressure must the nurse have been under to commit suicide? Anyone want to bet that there would be the typical HR investigation, disciplinary procedures, etc, etc?
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks

See Saracen, I don't know if its my computer security background, that labels the radio presenters as just "penetration testers" *giggady* but they shouldn't have been able to do what they did. The system around the hospital information could do with a bit of fixing.

What I'd imagine is sadly likely however is that the hospital choose to blame the nurse.

If that is the case, I hold nothing against the radio DJs. Being a radio DJ is arguably a far harsher punishment than this crime deserves.

But I would like to know what training, what pratices and systems the hospital has in place for handling calls and confidential information.

I would also suggest anyone listens to the radio clip, before condeming them as been malicious.
    A prank call is fair enough..

But this wasn't just a prank call, they have committed a crime (kind of)

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by j1979 View Post
    A prank call is fair enough..

But this wasn't just a prank call, they have committed a crime (kind of)
    How?

I can't believe people (not just on here) are seriously suggesting they're at fault in any criminal sense.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

It's just awful for all involved really.

I sincerely doubt the DJs ever thought it would come to this, and if it doesn't stay with them for the rest of their lives, they would have to be incredibly cold individuals.

And whilst I really couldn't care less whether Kate is giving birth or not, this is a horrible thing to have to think about when you're going through pregnancy - can't help feeling sorry for her and William as well.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    How?

I can't believe people (not just on here) are seriously suggesting they're at fault in any criminal sense.
    I don't know the relevant legislation - impersonating a police officer is a crime, but what about Her Majesty?

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Impersonating anyone used to be a crime, but that would infringe free speech too much these days.

The crime would trying to get hold of information that is private.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    I don't know the relevant legislation - impersonating a police officer is a crime, but what about Her Majesty?
    I'll admit, i wasn't thinking it in those terms. However, has anyone ever been convicted of impersonating a police officer when the convicted had comedic intentions?

I've seen manslaughter suggested elsewhere for the radio hosts.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

But that is just absolving the presenters for any personal responsibility for their actions.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

If I'm honest I do not think that anything should happen to the radio presenters. What they did was stupid but then again it was meant to be. This falls on the hospital security. However, say what you will, this woman must have had more problems going on outside work. I find it hard to believe that only this caused her to take her own life.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But that is just absolving the presenters for any personal responsibility for their actions.
    What responsibility. Have you listened to the thing? Or read the transcript. There wasn't anything really 'juciy' gleamed, the palace made no complaints, the only people who looked stupid here where the hospital, not the royals.

Also, its now been disclosed it was in fact the first nurse who fwd'd the call. I seriously doubt the call can be considered responsible for a mother of two killing herself...

I'm not absolving them of any responsibility, they still miss represented themselves, but they didn't call in with the express idea of getting such information, I think it was more just a joke about royal sterotypes.

16. Received thanks from:

melon (07-12-2012)

Banned
    Thanks

Am I the only wondering what sort of implied threat happened to make someone do that ??

I wouldnt care who it was I wouldnt feel guilty about being setup to that extent - esp when far worse and important things are happening in the world. geeze

I gotta go with Animus on this .

radio station irresponsible but not responsible

m

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information