• Yes - I believe in God etc

17 22.08%
  • No - I'm an atheist

60 77.92%
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you religious?

Thanks

Smile Are you religious?

I'm just curious to know if you're religious at all. I think in todays society (most people here are from the UK i think), there will be a lot more athiests than there might have been in the past.

Please don't say someone elses religion isn't as good as yours.

Do you think the results of the poll are a good/bad thing? Does it really matter? Why are the results as they are?

After thinking about it, should this have gone in question time?
    Last edited by ajbrun; 17-09-2004 at 01:27 AM.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Probably.

But anyway, your poll can't really match up all the different beliefs and opinions of various people. I'm not Religious, but i'm certainly not an Atheist. Belief in God dosn't mean you 'prescribe' to a religion, and Atheism dosn't make you a Nihilist.

Personally I proscribe all religion, clans and cults, but, because I can't be bothered to justify that, 'what're you gonna do'? eh?
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    Nope, I'm not..is there really anything to comment about? .
    Love, Peace and Linux

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Neither
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • Grouch's system
      • CPU:
      • QX6700
      • Memory:
      • 2gb
      • Storage:
      • 2 * 160gb (Raid 0)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800 GTX
      • PSU:
      • 750W
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsun 206BW
    Neither of the options really. I guess i'm agnostic. I don't believe in any god in particular but i'm curious and open to the possibilities.

Thanks
    I don't know.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Christian, specifically Anglican.

Thanks
    Nope, not at all religious.

Thanks
    erm, the poll is a bit clean cut is it not?

I dont believe in god, but i do believe there's something there... I dont believe in the creation theory, i believe in evolution, but i also believe there's some higher force that determines what happens in our lives. I believe we have souls, and i believe in a sort of reincarnation. It's no particular religion, it's bits of lots of religions.

So you cant say either "yes i believe in god" or "no i'm athiest" - it's not that clean cut.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Im a christian, so its an easy choice in the poll for me...

How do you guys all decide on your spirituality then? Just out of interest...

Thanks
    I'm agnostic - so I took athiest as the "least bad" choice

Thanks
    Its all down to personal belief. Everyone has some sort of idea about why things happen. Some choose the scientific route, some choose the safetynet religious route and others choose a mixture of both.

What i dont understand is why so many people follow each other in the way of a "religion" like sheep. Why not have your own ideas of what happens and why? Why do you feel compelled to follow the religion you choose? Because you do CHOOSE to follow it. In the 21st century, we all know about all the hundreds of different religions, so why do you assume that yours is the *right* one? What makes you believe in that one more than any other? Is it simply because your parents are also part of that religion and you've grown up with it? But surely you've questioned it at some point?

Maybe i'm just thinking that everyone's as inquisitive as i am, and actually like to know *WHY* things happen and *HOW* things happen... maybe some people are the opposite and would rather believe something in a book that cannot be proven? I dunno... Prove me wrong...

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    Its all down to personal belief. Everyone has some sort of idea about why things happen. Some choose the scientific route, some choose the safetynet religious route and others choose a mixture of both.

What i dont understand is why so many people follow each other in the way of a "religion" like sheep. Why not have your own ideas of what happens and why? Why do you feel compelled to follow the religion you choose? Because you do CHOOSE to follow it. In the 21st century, we all know about all the hundreds of different religions, so why do you assume that yours is the *right* one? What makes you believe in that one more than any other? Is it simply because your parents are also part of that religion and you've grown up with it? But surely you've questioned it at some point?
    Interestingly, I have no religious background whatsoever. I personally chose to believe (if you can choose to do such a thing) in christianity largely (thogh not entirely) on the historical evidence of Jesus, after reading around a bit about that, as well as other religions etc.

I think that largely people follow 'religions' because they are the products of milennia of thinking, in a similar way to the way that people base their scientific thinking on previous scientific thinking. The substance never changes, be it the Bible, the Quran, historical texts or the science of the natural world. The more we study it, the deeper the understanding of what its really all about.

I think that rather then being sheep, following a religion is just learning from what those who have gone before us have thought about and studied.

Maybe i'm just thinking that everyone's as inquisitive as i am, and actually like to know *WHY* things happen and *HOW* things happen... maybe some people are the opposite and would rather believe something in a book that cannot be proven? I dunno... Prove me wrong...
    I think to be honest, that if that's your viw of religion you'll never be satisfied by it. The Bible (and similarly the Quran, and most other religious texts) never really set out to tell us how things happen, but more about why.

Its not that I'd prefer to believe in a book that has no basis, as you put it, but that I believe that that is at least part of the answer of what this world is all about. Personally, I do find it hard as a christian at times, knowing so many christians who are basically sheep, and don't question things, and try and use th bible as the answer to everything, which even itself it does not claim to be.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    I used to be but since then i grew up and got my own brain, realised that religion is just a control measure that has been used as such for hundreds of years. The basic morals of christianity I still follow, but the idea that theres a god is just rediculous to me...I have my own brain, i dont need to be controled by some rediculous idea of a higher power

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    I used to be but since then i grew up and got my own brain, realised that religion is just a control measure that has been used as such for hundreds of years. The basic morals of christianity I still follow, but the idea that theres a god is just rediculous to me...I have my own brain, i dont need to be controled by some rediculous idea of a higher power
    So in what way was religion trying to control you, other than trying to get you to live the morals of Christianity, which you still follow anyway?

Thanks
    just for the record,i wasnt meaning to diss anyone who does follow a religion (if anyone has taken offence, i'm sorry). I was mearly trying to find out the reasoning behind your choice of religion since a lot of people just decide to follow it cos that's how they were brought up and thats all they know and dont think of questioning it.

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information