77. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I believe in God etc

17 22.08%
  • No - I'm an atheist

60 77.92%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are you religious?

Thanks
    I can see now that I should have put more option in the poll, like "don't know" and "bit of both".

I think I would class myself as an athiest, but I do believe in the morals of religon. I see this as being "a good person" and someone who has morals, not being religious. I think that all people (religious or not) should be like that. I do not believe that there is a god or that Jesus existed. This might be down to the fact that the bible can be proved wrong sometimes.

I see there being two types of peope - I may be wrong.

1. Those who are more scientific, and want facts.
    2. This who are open to suggestion, and might believe something until it is DISproved.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    OK, fair enough, my apologies for the misidentification; but there are a fair few million people who would classify their belief in exactly the same way - a belief in a higher force or power that doesn't conform to a specific faith. You wouldn't necessarily think exactly the same way as them, though, would you?

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun
    I can see now that I should have put more option in the poll, like "don't know" and "bit of both".

I think I would class myself as an athiest, but I do believe in the morals of religon. I see this as being "a good person" and someone who has morals, not being religious. I think that all people (religious or not) should be like that. I do not believe that there is a god or that Jesus existed. This might be down to the fact that the bible can be proved wrong sometimes.

I see there being two types of peope - I may be wrong.

1. Those who are more scientific, and want facts.
    2. This who are open to suggestion, and might believe something until it is DISproved.
    You are wrong.

Sorry, but it had to be said. All science, by its very nature, believes something until it is disproven. In science there are very few facts. gravity is not a fact. Neither is electricity.

CMC
    Thanks
    Im a christian, and its the only way like, im not gonna diss other peoples religions, but i mean, why would God send His only son to be brutally killed, if it wasnt true, just for the crack? i dont think so, im not being cheeky like, its jus what i believe

Thanks
    erm.... that doesnt make sense CMC....

if it wasnt true, it wouldnt have happened.... it would have been made up.... why would it be made up? i dunno, why do people write murder/rape stories into novels?

If you would like to believe that that's what happened then that's up to you. It wasnt just "jesus" who was "brutally murdered" in this way tho, if you're choosing to believe this, other "normal" people were too. "witches" were burned at the stake and drowned. People have been beheaded in the past and hung drawn and quartered. And many stories and myths and legends have been produced as a result of these brutal ways of killing.

You're chosing to base your life on something that revolves around some stories in a book that's been translated through hundreds of languages. Who's to say the same thing has happened as happens in a game of chinese whispers?

I took the road less traveled by Scientist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Im a scientist, Im also an athiest so very easy choice..
    Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
    Enwrought with golden and silver light,
    The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
    Of night and light and the half-light,
    I would spread the cloths under your feet:
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

IRN-BRU(tm)
    Thanks
    I used to know what i was, Roman Catholic, then i spent many years realising that IMO the RC way of doing things was not what the religion was about. I swayed toward C of E and went to an Ecumenical church. Since then i have become agnostic.

I believe that all religions are the same - in that they all preach love, honesty, tollerance, amongst other wishy washy but nonetheless important things. and also the mother of all scams, woot here comes the collection plate.

I challenge the atheists to explain what was before the big bang.
    Last edited by Purple; 17-09-2004 at 03:43 PM.

I took the road less traveled by Scientist's Avatar
    Thanks
    Purple - Trust me in terms of the theories that are currently available you dont even want to know what was before the big bang its that complicated - singularities etc...
    Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
    Enwrought with golden and silver light,
    The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
    Of night and light and the half-light,
    I would spread the cloths under your feet:
    But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
    I have spread my dreams under your feet;
    Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams.

IRN-BRU(tm)
    Thanks
    and where did that come from?

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    erm.... that doesnt make sense CMC....

if it wasnt true, it wouldnt have happened.... it would have been made up.... why would it be made up? i dunno, why do people write murder/rape stories into novels?

If you would like to believe that that's what happened then that's up to you. It wasnt just "jesus" who was "brutally murdered" in this way tho, if you're choosing to believe this, other "normal" people were too. "witches" were burned at the stake and drowned. People have been beheaded in the past and hung drawn and quartered. And many stories and myths and legends have been produced as a result of these brutal ways of killing.

You're chosing to base your life on something that revolves around some stories in a book that's been translated through hundreds of languages. Who's to say the same thing has happened as happens in a game of chinese whispers?
    I can see what you mean by all this, but the Bible, at least in general, is regarded as one of the most reliable historical documents we have, especially of Old Testament times. When people talk about how the Bible is 'just a load of stories', they (in general, you may well have researched this) have no basis for their statement of the hisotrical inaccuracy of the Bible, and most don't even know what these 'magical stories' are.

Besides, the Bible hasn't been translated through hundreds of languages, it's been translated into hundreds of languages. The New Testament was written in Greek, and this is still what we translate from. The Old Testament has the benefit of things like the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls to back up its historicity, or at least to back up the fact that it hasn't been tampered with.

As for the stories about Jesus, well, at the time, those who spread the stories were willing to die in horrific manners to spread the news, would you do that if you made it up?

If people decide to look at the Bible's accuracy and historicity in a completely unbiased way, and decide that it's bunk, then fair enough, but don't dismiss it out of hand at least.

Quote Originally Posted by purple
    I used to know what i was, Roman Catholic, then i spent many years realising that IMO the RC way of doing things was not what the religion was about. I swayed toward C of E and went to an Ecumenical church. Since then i have become agnostic.

I believe that all religions are the same - in that they all preach love, honesty, tollerance, amongst other wishy washy but nonetheless important things. and also the mother of all scams, woot here comes the collection plate.

I challenge the atheists to explain what was before the big bang.
    Read Steven Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" - it explains all that as far we can currently understand.

Also, where do you think the money from the collection plate goes? To the vicar's new Bachelor Pad? Or to keeping the church going, as well as paying to help out local charities, as well as international crises? It's no scam, and if you go to church you don't have to pay anything if you don't want to...

Thanks
    In short no.

I do not believe in the god spoken of in the bible, its just a story if ya ask me.

IRN-BRU(tm)
    Thanks
    Alex - Your point is well taken, but the pope does live it up a bit doesnt he? and does the church really need all those gold plated trinquets. How about give one of those to a starving family.

im affraid that Mr Hawkins' book is beyond me right now - maybe in a couple of years.

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    lol, well, Im not RC, so I wouldn't like to comment on catholic traditions of ornamenting the entire place with expensive stuff

IRN-BRU(tm)
    Thanks
    i think we should pledge our allegiance to the hypno-toad, wawawawawawawawawawawawawawawawawawaw

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    So in what way was religion trying to control you, other than trying to get you to live the morals of Christianity, which you still follow anyway?
    going to church - giving up each sunday morning/evening
    donations to the church
    wasting time talking to some1 who doesnt exist [praying]

these are just the few examples that i thought of in the past few seconds, i'm sure i could get more if i tried.

not meaning to offend anyones beliefs here, these are just my thoughts...

Spider pig, spider pig
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    going to church - giving up each sunday morning/evening
    donations to the church
    wasting time talking to some1 who doesnt exist [praying]

these are just the few examples that i thought of in the past few seconds, i'm sure i could get more if i tried.

not meaning to offend anyones beliefs here, these are just my thoughts...
    No offense taken.

But if you think about it, if the church was trying to control you, these would be control mechanisms rather than things they would be trying to get you to do. The money one aside (I've already dealt with that one in an earlier post), going to church and praying would be methods of controlling you to live the morals you said you already subscribe to...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information