Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Right everyone - need you all to read this please.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt D
    And to some of those who have pointed the finger, well all I will says is you are too.
    I am?

Homestarr Mod
    Thanks
    personnally threads that just have a link in them with no explaination of where it will take you or what it will show you are annoying. at least give some info on what the link is for....

Thanks
    To tell the truth, i spend little time in the General Discussion forums for the reasons Matt gave. I find it hard to believe to insane post counts of some people compared to mine when i spend a couple of hours here most days.

But i don't see the problem with a sub forum for general banter. Many people seem to enjoy it and have made good friends. It's a good place to hang out for some people and, just like the pub on a Friday night, it's fun to chat nonsense and make jokes. I don't see a problem because i spend most time in the 'proper' sub forums and it's easy to avoid. I save the messing around for my real life mates and girlfriend. I obviously don't have the spare time some people here seem to have But yeah, it's getting a bit OTT.

But Just look at any large internet forums and they are mostly all the same in their general discussion forums. It's just testament to how popular Hexus has become.

What i will say is that people need to take more time with grammar and spelling etc. That makes using the forums more of a chore than anything else (awaits the obligatory analysis of my post for any errors). But then I'm guilty of the above crimes on occasion.

Maybe what's need here is to do what KustomPC's did when it got out of control and split if down into a more serious 'Topical Discussion', Spamy 'General 'Chat'. They even have a 'Rant' forum. Afteral, you said yourselves that bandwidth/server load was not an issue for you guys.

The Hexus forums are still the best tech forums anyway.

Just an idea. Carry on
    Last edited by autopilot; 06-12-2005 at 12:15 AM.

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    I think maybe if people would like to chat they should head over to IRC, #hexus.net is a quality channel Im sure some of the chatty posters would like hanging out in there.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by G4Z
    I think maybe if people would like to chat they should head over to IRC, #hexus.net is a quality channel Im sure some of the chatty posters would like hanging out in there.
    ahh yes such an obvious idea, and its true! - all these treads that only contain a link and nothing else dont need to be posted, the can just be pasted into the hexus.irc rooms
    the trash can for hexus

irc.quakenet.org
    #hexus.net
    #hexus.cs
    and more ....

Thanks
    EDIT: Doh, my bad!
    Last edited by Kezzer; 06-12-2005 at 12:34 AM.

Thanks
    OH ffs people!
    Its only a forum...stop getting so bothered about people posting chitchat.
    CHILL PILLS THAT'A'WAY -->
    I feel that fact that the admins have pretty much singled one person out as a very harsh move.

ALso: My MSN is down, and can any one get to google.com?

i may well be your only fan lol.
    Nah me too!

Join the XA04 fan club here...membership: minimum 1p paypal to the man himself!

So how come XA04 is not allowed to post a thing saying watch channel 4 now for some comedy, but all the very similar Top gear threads are fine?

Also if you dont know what a thread is, if you mouse over it then it tells you the first line or two...so you dont even have to open it if you dont want to.

ahh yes such an obvious idea, and its true! - all these treads that only contain a link and nothing else dont need to be posted, the can just be pasted into the hexus.irc rooms
    tbh i count all the hexus news items, a few lines quoted, then a link to the article, under this catagory. Thats just my personal opinion though.
    Twigman

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigman
    OH ffs people!
    I feel that fact that the admins have pretty much singled one person out as a very harsh move.

Nah me too!

So how come XA04 is not allowed to post a thing saying watch channel 4 now for some comedy, but all the very similar Top gear threads are fine?

Also if you dont know what a thread is, if you mouse over it then it tells you the first line or two...so you dont even have to open it if you dont want to.

tbh i count all the hexus news items, a few lines quoted, then a link to the article, under this catagory. Thats just my personal opinion though.

A thread called "!!!!!!!!" Is a bit too far.

Thanks
    OH ffs people!

Nah me too!

If you're making such accusations that admins are going over the top about it then surely you're being hypocritical because you're making a big deal out of that? Yeh, I'm pretty sure you're doing exactly the same so you've just reduced yourself to a lower level. Well done by the way, what a way to make a post

Thanks
    Its called making a point?
    Twigman

Thanks
    Its called making a point?
    That's exactly what the admins were doing.

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    Thanks to the guys who are supporting me.

I do admit the ONE thread I made with a pointless title was a bit silly, but still, nobody died over it did they? No need to start all this crap because of one bad thread title, and if it was so bad rename it! That's what you mods are for, MODERATING!.

Thanks
    I totally agree with the admins on this one.

Off late there have been many random posts with random titles. Some of the posts are just plain stupid and the sort you would expect to see from someone who has joined to just build up their post count.

Other ones with totally uninformative titles are just as irritating. It doesnt take much to put in the title what the nature of the post is?

As it happens im pretty sure the admins arent singling people out at all - im sure if they were - it would have been dealt with outside of here, and in a locked thread. Most people know who the main offenders are and most people like those people dispite of it.

As for XA04's comment on Mods - Moderating - thats a little childish in my opinion. They shouldnt need to moderate titles of threads. This isnt primary school.

Thanks
    see this is the reason i dont like to start threads on here. I started the "whats on your mind" thread as a bit of a light hearted way to get things off your chest etc, but I wasnt sure if it would be classed as a crap thread or not. It hasn't been closed or deleted, and quite a few people have posted in it, but would it be classed as spam? I dunno.

I post on another forum also, which is a lot more laid back with it's rules, and yes, i guess there is a fair bit of utter rubbish posted on it, but it's mostly funny and yes it's spamtastic, but it's enjoyable. There's also a fair amount of interesting and useful posts on it and everyone would bend over backwards to help you. Because i tend to post on there more than i do on here (mainly because it's more active and moves at a faster pace) i tend to forget that posting on here isnt quite so lax and that some of the things posted on the other forum, however funny or amusing it might be, would be frowned upon on here.

I know that Hexus wants to be a respectible and high quality forum, but surely GD (or even a sub forum call junk or whatever) is there to post anything that amuses us or for general banter? That's what i've always thought anyway. GD used to be way more banterous than it is now and it was fun and lighthearted then. But "telling us off" for posting things that aren't "on topic" for the site or whatever is just going to stop people posting anything and it's just going to get even quieter.

dont get me wrong, i dont agree with really crap threads with just a link, or with subject lines that say nothing what so ever about the subject of the post within, i just think that if you want people to still chat and enjoy their stay, especially on GD, you have to allow some sort of amusing posts.

Thanks

Balance

Indeed, I believe it is about striking a balance here. It was this that Matt was indicating to me, that everybody think a little harder before creating a thread is all.
    Rhyth is selling:
    Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di ll LD Aspherical (IF) £230 +pp
    Canon 50mm 1.8 II £50 +pp
    Proven good copies.

Those who look out dream, those who look inward, awake. Jung

Thanks
    In the words of the song: "Get the balance right..."

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information