Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Right everyone - need you all to read this please.

Thanks
    Anyone who would even think to call Hexus' rules strict quite obviously hasn't been to any of the other major UK boards. Hexus is on par with quite a few others, and considerably less strict(and more fair) then "that popular mafia themed forum" as cougho put it. There are quite a few of us here, who come originally from there, and every one of us will be laughing at anyone who says this place is strict. Its not.

If you can't handle a few signature rule changes get of the interweb, its not exactly the end of the world to have to shave 5 pixels of a picture that no-one actually wants to see or download anyway.

This is just the mods asking people to think before they post, and to not post crap, seems fair enough to me.

I must admit I LOL'd at the idea of any IRC channel being quality though, even the hexus one. IRC is where all the words that didn't make it into books,magazines, blogs, newspapers and forums go

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmo
    i dont really feel right starting threads incase they're viewed as unneeded or spam, and i try to post constructive posts when i do.

I say again....you are trusted, respected and let loose on the world

If anyone needs to reign you in, they will but I say to YOU.....make it all count as good stuff and you're fine

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    I didnt say the content was quality, the people certainly are tho.

HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Twigman
    QFT

Again i agree.
    Its a public forum, if you dont want members of the public posting stuff them dont allow any more sign ups...or make the admin approve every single one.

Oh teh noes!!!!111 not everyone is 100% serious on here...end of the world tbh.

do you want to be any more childish? Grow up. If you havent got anything worth saying or to add to the debate, then dont say anything. What you've posted above just makes you come across as a cheeky spoilt brat.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smtkr
    I just hover over some thread titled "OMG!!!!!!!!" to see if I want to read it.
    Normally if it has gibberish like "OMG111" "FTW" etc, I will simply ignore the thread.

Thanks
    I have an idea :

What smtkr said (about access to IRC at work) made me think, could you implement some kind of chat system for hexus. Yeah i know we have stuff like Mirc etc, but we can't all use it at work etc and some of the more newer people to all this would find it more accessable. Esspecially if it was just 'there', a quick click away when you guys get the 'spam horn' (can that be a new word please ). Could put a link on the main page etc.
    Before you dismiss it, I set one up a few years ago, just a simple (and fee) applet for connecting to IRC. Worth a quick look into, no?
    Last edited by autopilot; 06-12-2005 at 09:09 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mmh
    Since i have joined here, it seems its got more and more like a dictatorship...
    The sig sizes have changed 3 times, and the rules keep getting worse and worse...

it seems to me like "here is general discussion, but its not general at all, u can only talk about certain things"
    every forum that has general discussion, has the spam threads, its the way it is. its almost like ur scared of someone influencial coming on the forum seeing it and saying thats it, this site is no longer #1 for computer stuff... in reality, thats not gonna happen, if ur #1 now, someone seeing discussion forum isnt going to change that.
    agreed topic titles such as !!!!!!! are a little OTT, but if a topic is named right, it shouldnt matter what the topic is aslong as its family safe!

Ste
    You think HEXUS is a "dictatorship" ?. Firstly, go and visit other forums if you think our basic rules are bad. If you really think its a "dictatorship", why do you contiune to post here ?
    "the rules keep getting worse and worse" - like what ?

We have very few rules, and the ones we do have aren’t exactly the most hard to follow in the world.
    You obviously have no idea how much work goes on behind the scenes to make sure the forums are running smoothly. Its hard to find an hour in a 24 hour period where a mod is un-contactable should there be a problem. I know of nights when Matt has been up in the early hours fixing a forum problem so people can still post. I dread to think of the amount of hours a week that the Staff and Mods put into this place. I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people to follow a few basic rules so we don’t have to spend even more time sorting things out.
    You have to remember, HEXUS is a business. The rules are there for a reason. David provides these forums to us for free, he's not asking for your soul, kids and house, just a few, small basic things to make sure everything runs smoothly.
    Seems ridiculous that you want to compare that to a dictatorship, mmh.

I totally support everything Matt has said. The amount of non-sense posts floating around is just silly. I’m wondering how long it is before we have "how do I tie my shoelace".
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangerous_dom
    I have an idea :

What smtkr said (about access to IRC at work) made me think, could you implement some kind of chat system for hexus. Yeah i know we have stuff like Mirc etc, but we can't all use it at work etc and some of the more newer people to all this would find it more accessable. Esspecially if it was just 'there', a quick click away when you guys get the 'spam horn' (can that be a new work please ). Could put a link on the main page etc.
    Before you dismiss it, I set one up a few years ago, just a simple (and fee) applet for connecting to IRC. Worth a quick look into, no?
    I think maybe that wouldn't be such a great idea. I mean, kudos for thinking of it, but, knowing IRC, what was said wouldn't always be exactly inline with hexus rules, and if it were part of the site it would maybe feel more that hexus was responsible, another area to admin, but adminning it would take a lot of effort. It would just seem to me that making it that integral a part of the site might make a lot of work for the mods.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by XA04
    Thanks to the guys who are supporting me.
    Supporting you ? Where did anyone from HEXUS say anything against you ?

I do admit the ONE thread I made with a pointless title was a bit silly, but still, nobody died over it did they? No need to start all this crap because of one bad thread title,
    Who said 'all this crap' was started because of you ?

and if it was so bad rename it! That's what you mods are for, MODERATING!.
    Or you could spend the extra 5 seconds it would have taken you to write a more descriptive thread title

Thanks
    There are Web based IRC clients, I dont believe these eat up alot of bandwidth - Though the only Mods in #hexus.net is directhex and David but thats enough at the moment,
    Theres usally about 35-40 people in #hexus.net.
    its the most popular hexus channel - theres also #hexus.gaming but its empty, all gamers seem to hang out in #hexus.cs.

- I think a Web based IRC client may be the solution for HEXUS, dangerous_dom's idea is in my opinion the way to go.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by specofdust
    I think maybe that wouldn't be such a great idea. I mean, kudos for thinking of it, but, knowing IRC, what was said wouldn't always be exactly inline with hexus rules, and if it were part of the site it would maybe feel more that hexus was responsible, another area to admin, but adminning it would take a lot of effort. It would just seem to me that making it that integral a part of the site might make a lot of work for the mods.
    I dont think it would be that difficult. Maybe a trial could be run? Also, there are ways of automatically moderating stuff on IRC, like auto kicking people for constant spam/swearing and IP banning etc. Even vote kicking to allow the majority of decent users the ability to remove trouble makers without the need for an admin. And i few more trusted long time Hexus users could be given limit admin duties. You could even limit entry to registered Hexus users.
    It's very easy because it's such a well established technology. It's all ready to go; loads of free pre-writen Java applets and scripts around.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by specofdust

The IRC channel already exists with ops in it doing the jobs of mods essentially. All people are suggesting is to make it easier for people to access IRC via the hexus website, who maybe wouldnt know how to work IRC otherwise.

[edit] the only problem with having a JAVA IRC application is that quakenet tend to ban a lot of them for multiple joining. I found this was a problem when i had one on my old website and on my ex's old website.
    Last edited by Elmo; 06-12-2005 at 09:21 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PrivatePyle
    And businesses make money, and for a site to make money from advertising it needs users.
    It needs readers . But honestly, give me a figure..... No, just a percentage of the total amount of people, who you think visit the main site and see advertising, AND actively post on the forums.

And yes the rules aren’t hard to follow, just this one seems a bit vague to me, people seem confused as to what’s acceptable.
    This one ?, I don’t see no rule here, just Matt asking people to think about some of their posts a little bit more.

And as for staff staying up all night, aren’t staff paid, if I didn’t like the hours I was working I'd change job or have a word with my boss. Fair play for making sure the site runs smoothly though I'm not trying to downplay that at all.
    You totally missed the point I was making Pyle. What difference do you think it would make if the forum was down till 9am the next morning compared to stopping up and fixing it at 3am, for example?
    I didn’t (nor did any other HEXUS member) mention money here, just the large number non-thought out threads.

Thanks
    There is also an auction script (dont know where, but has seen it) for IRC. Live auctions for the Hexus Forsale forum... ok im going a bit overboard now... i will stop

Oh, and XA04; Stop flattering yourself mate

Thanks
    ... and wildmonkey had pulled some munter out clubbing and kept us updated
    Yeh he still keeps us updated..

i have to say - theres more going on #hexus.cs than in #hexus.net because the people in there actually talk.

Thanks
    • XA04's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570-A Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x 8gb DDR 4 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Serpent M.2 SSD & 4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit RTX 2060
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 650W
      • Case:
      • Fractcal Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama 34" Curved UWQHD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 100mb Fibre
    I'm not even going to bother argueing, this is getting pathetic.

If your going to ****ing cry over a thread title just ignore the thread. Moderators are there to help us lot, and if you have a problem with a thread title, just report the damn thread, ask for it to be renamed, I'm sure a mod would be happy to rename it, yes, that IS what moderators are for, they moderate the forum, it's not a matter of if they should have to or not, it's their job, their responsibility.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information