Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: World Cup Rules for wife/girl/partner etc.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    Please, please, please, please, please stop moaning about the wall-to-wall coverage the World Cup is going to get. It gets that sort of coverage because it is the biggest sporting event in the world, a large majority of the men, women and children who can will be watching Englands games with interest, and the TV audience for the final will exceed 1 billion.

This is not going to change because you say 'Does it really matter that much?'

I'm sure Cash In The Attic will be on the other channel, for those of us who can't appriciate sport to enjoy, while everyone else watches the football. Use the time to get some shelves put up. Get down the shops while the England game is on and enjoy the empty iles. Mow the lawn.

Take advantage. Just don't whinge and moan. The World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, its going to take over TV, Radio, Newspapers, and everywhere else.

If you can't beat us, join us. If you really don't want to join us - shush.

It shouldn't be EVERYWHERE though. It should be easily accessible for those who WANT to watch it. But not forced upon those of us who don't. They shouldn't reschedule every TV program just because of it.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Banned
    Thanks
    You've got Sky like the rest of us. 1943 channels. As I said, I'm sure there's a cracking episode of Homes Under the Hammer you could watch.

Let me know how it works out.

Thanks
    • Howard's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x1gb OCZ DDR2 6400
      • Storage:
      • 250GB & 500GB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Inno3d iChill 7900GS
      • PSU:
      • Antec SmartPower 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 330
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x AG Neovo F419
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mbit
    I don't have Sky. I have NTL and I don't have the full package, so it's only about 1643 channels. I'll watch what I want to watch. I shouldn't have to change this as per the rescheduling thanks to the football.
    Home cinema: Toshiba 42XV555DB Full HD LCD | Onkyo TX-SR705 | NAD C352 | Monitor Audio Bronze B2 | Monitor Audio Bronze C | Monitor Audio Bronze BFX | Yamaha NSC120 | BK Monolith sub | Toshiba HD-EP35 HD-DVD | Samsung BD-P1400 BluRay Player | Pioneer DV-575 | Squeezebox3 | Virgin Media V+ Box
    PC: Asus P5B | Core2duo 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 PC6400 | Inno3d iChill 7900GS | Auzentech X-Plosion 7.1 | 250GB | 500GB | NEC DVDRW | Dual AG Neovo 19"
    HTPC: | Core2Duo E6420 2.13GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 250GBx2 | Radeon X1300 | Terratec Aureon 7.1 | Windows MCE 2005
    Laptop: 1.5GHz Centrino | 512MB | 60GB | 15" Wide TFT | Wifi | DVDRW

Banned
    Thanks

Ah well, I tried.

Thanks
    ive booked off most of my holiday allowance for the world cup people can complain about it as much as they want but im completely ammune to it, once it starts im in my own little world. Got a nice beer stash growing as well

Any of you guys on hexus.active have any ideas for a diet afterwards
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    It shouldn't be EVERYWHERE though. It should be easily accessible for those who WANT to watch it. But not forced upon those of us who don't. They shouldn't reschedule every TV program just because of it.
    Oh please... Once every 4 years the world cup happens it's not as if it's every year is it?

The channels have to reschedule shows and things like that as they want to gain as many viewers as possible.

Now what's the best for a channel like ITV - Show England vs <insert team> and get above 11 million viewers and make a nice profit on the adverts during the half-time break, or resort to showing shows like "murder she wrote" and get about 4 million viewers.
    Last edited by Lee H; 25-04-2006 at 03:28 PM.

Tech-ignorant Factoid
    Thanks
    It's easy to find something else to do - most people have their 'toys' (other than the TV and remote!)(and car) eg, playstation, xbox, some other console (how about a mega drive? Go lemmings!), the internet...

So you'll maybe miss a couple of programmes. Big deal. Life's too short to worry about the small things. I'd happily go without the TV for however long the world cup is on. Unless there was some hilariously funny comedy programme on that i desperately wanted to watch.

Football is the worlds favourite sport (im guessing), so it's not that surprising that people are gonna want to watch it.

Anyway, it'll all be over soon (yeah yeah, rule 12), and everything'll be back to normal. Till next time.

Anyhow, why did a light hearted thread turn into a war? The world needs more comedic wisdom.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny02004976
    ive booked off most of my holiday allowance for the world cup
    Go on my son. My cousins booked time off as well.

As for Murder She Wrote... I prefer a nice bit of Rolf Watches Animals Die or whatever its called. And have you seen what delights ITV4 have lined up? Saved By The Bell: The Plain Girl Years, Dick Francies Sketches His Favorite Yorkshire Chimneys, and a double bill of... well, the Bill.

Quality! You none football watches have nothing to worry about!

The world needs more comedic wisdom.
    Indeed. The world needs another Bill Hicks.
    Last edited by Stewart; 25-04-2006 at 03:32 PM.

Thanks
    Actually the problem is that it isn't once every 4 years. The world cup is but in between that we have the euro cup as well. That causes just as much fuss in this country and gets the same coverage.

As I said I am not adverse to watching the odd game, in fact I quite enjoy nipping to the pub for a few pints and watching it. All I am saying is that we should not be saturated with it as is the case. It is not just the re-scheduling, but the fact that every where you look you cannot escape it bugs me. It is every shop window, every pub, even Wetherspoons now! Everyone is trying to make a quick buck out of it and there is no escape bar locking yourself away for the entirity of the four weeks and not ever turning on the radio or TV. If it was anyother sport people would be up in arms. Not even the 2003 rugby world cup got the same coverage until it looked like England were heading somewhere.

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    I can't see us lasting that long in the tournament in all honesty anyway

Quarter-finals at a push really before England gets knocked out and all those dreaming of us winning return back to work slightly disheartened.

Thanks
    I'll be in some Bar in Greece forcing the missus to watch Engerland play

The n I've got the other week off too
    Last edited by kempez; 25-04-2006 at 03:40 PM.
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    T'will be a very good 4 weeks

Plus we have the Champions League and FA Cup Final to help the build up!

Thanks
    • shelley bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Pro 875B
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.2
      • Memory:
      • 2 gig Geil
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 320 gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 9600XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580w
      • Case:
      • Beantech BT84B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 2meg Nildram ADSL
    I'm looking forward to all the fantastic footy ads they bring out

Give me footy over cricket and snooker anyday ( progs get rescheduled for that and no one complains )

Better still! give me more Superbikes ( roll on July, we'll be at Oulton park ) or Moto Gp mmmmm

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    I never understand why people bitch and moan about the WC and it's coverage. I think it's sad that people are so absorbed with the TV that they have to watch it all the time and therefore complain when the biggest most watched sporting event is on once every 4 years. These are the same people that complain when the snooker is on or the Olympics. Instead of moaning why not pick a small underdog team and support them.

Personally I can't wait, there's going to be loads of talent to watch and England have got a good chance to win it (although we won't)
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

Mike Fishcake
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewart
    Woolworths have a 50% discount on a sense of perspective at the moment. Why not get one?
    I would, but they moved them to make room for all the world cup merchandise

Thanks

Women's Response To World Cup Rules

Subject: World Cup Rules

The time has come to lay down the law.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extremely important advice and recommendations to be passed on to husbands, boyfriends fathers, sons, etc. (to all men in general) These rules are to be communicated prior to the World Cup in June/July this year...
    List Of Rules.

1. From 9 June to 9 July 2006, you should read the sports section of the newspaper so that you are aware of what is going on regarding the World Cup, and that way you will be able to join in the conversations. If you fail to do this, then you will be looked at in a bad way, or you will be totally ignored. DO NOT complain about not receiving any attention.
    If I am recording a game while watching another, do not discuss anything you heard and read before I have a chance to see it. In fact don't even know anything, because I will read it in your face and then you are dead.

2. During the World Cup, the television is mine, at all times, without any exceptions. In fact there may be both TVs in the same room on at the same time. Do not touch!!!

3. If you have to pass by in front of the TV during a game, I don't mind, as long as you do it crawling on the floor and without distracting me. If you decide to stand nude in front of the TV, forget it. Those guys in their tight shorts behind you are much much better to look at.

4. During the games I will be blind, deaf and mute, don't expect me to do laundry, prepare meals, answer the phone or clean ....it wont happen.

5. DO NOT touch the Chablis or Margarita mix in the refrigerator. Please do not make any funny noises when I have my soccer girl pals over to watch the games. Do not expect to partake in the potlucks we have during these sessions. It would be risky time for you to say the wrong thing. As well, you can expect at lease 3 slumber parties, during which I expect you to eat out and stay at a friend's place. During any marathon TV sessions with a room full of women, it is probably best for your own safety to stay away, to avoid the flags, bangers, shrieks and your temptation to make a foolish remark about our appearance or the game.

6. Please, please, please!! if you hear me screaming don't pat me on the head and say its OK. It is not OK or I wouldn't be screaming

7. You are welcome to sit with me to watch one game and you can talk to me during halftime but only when the commercials are on, and only if the halftime score is pleasing me. In addition, please note I am saying "one" game, hence do not use this one game as an excuse to earn points.

8. The replays of the goals are very important. I don't care if I have seen them or I haven't seen them, I want to see them again. Many times. If you don't understand offsides, than don't wonder why I need to rewind the tape multiple times to review the call.

9. Tell your friends NOT to plan on doing anything to at this house. Absolutely NO distractions, belches, questions about how to do the laundry, cook or change diapers are allowed. You are permitted to mow the lawn after the Championship Game.

10. Be prepared for me to leave in a flash if a friend invites me over to watch a game. You are welcome to come along as long as you refer to the game as football and not complain about how boring and low scoring it is. Sometimes arrangements are made for the men to have a separate room to themselves.

11. The daily World Cup highlights show on TV every night is just as important as the games themselves. Do not even think about saying "but you have already seen this...why don't you change the channel to something we can all watch??", the reply will be: "Refer to Rule #2 of this list".

12. And finally, please save your expressions such as "Thank God the World Cup is only every 4 years". I am immune to these words, because after this comes the Champions League, Italian League, Spanish League, Premier League, etc etc.

Thank you for your cooperation.
    Regards,

Women Who Truly Understand the Beautiful Game

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information