Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Thread: Who's waiting for Nvidia Fermi

Banned
    Thanks
    • matty-hodgson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 4GHz (59'C Under a TRUE Black)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ DDR2 890MHz (5-4-4-15)
      • Storage:
      • Intel 80GB - Games. Intel 80GB - OS. 1TB Samsung - Storage.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA Zotac GTX 275: 728 Core, 1614 Shader, 1340 Memory
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU82+ 625w
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SM2343BW (2048x1152)
      • Internet:
      • Smallworld 4Mbps

Re: Who's waiting for Nvidia Fermi

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Eh? Sorry, lost you there mate :/
    You said you wouldn't blame NVIDIA if someone used a registry hack, you'd blame the user. but they wouldn't have used a registry hack. so what would you blame instead? (this is if they allowed ATI and NVIDIA to work with PhysX)

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by matty-hodgson View Post
    Well, no. that's not right, cos the registry hack wouldn't have to happen, it'd just work out the box, then what would you blame? the registry hack.. oh wait, it didn't need to happen. so null point!
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Eh? Sorry, lost you there mate :/
    I believe matty was pointing out that if NVidia enabled PhysX support as default with ATI cards in the system there wouldn't be a registry hack to blame.

But it wouldn't even take a registry hack.
    All it needs is a single boolean option in the graphics card properties: enable Hardware PhysX support. It's default is enabled when the card detects it's in an all NVidia system, and disabled when it detects the presence of other vendor's graphics card. Users can simply go into the card's properties dialogues (or whatever NVidia's catalyst control centre equivalent is (and would you believe I own 2 nvidia graphics cards? )) and simply tick the checkbox if they want PhysX support alongside their HD 5850. A warning box pops up saying "We have detected that you've made a pact with the devil and bought an ATI graphics card - if you use PhysX your computer is likely to explode and we won't take any respoinsibility for it! Are you sure you want to enable PhysX?"* and if the user clicks OK then it's reasonable to assume that they know what they're getting themselves into. NVidia are covered from a QA point of view, and I can buy a cheapy DDR2 GT220 to process all those pretty PhysX effects. It'd be pretty simple to implement and it would make a *lot* of people who currently dislike NVidia feel somewhat more inclined to buy their hardware. I don't get how they can think their current approach is good business practice...

*this is a suggested wording only, and may be changed in the final implementtion

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

It's all moot anyway. There is absolutely no reason for nvidia to disable it for QA reasons.

If there was ever an issue, it would be a core driver issue causing clashed which would have to be rectified anyway, Physx or no Physx.

Funny how they ONLY disable CUDA/Physx. They still let you use the nVidia card alongside your ATI card for other tasks......Why isn't that also disabled for "QA reasons"?

Answer: CUDA is not disabled for QA reasons.....what a shocker!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

4. Received thanks from:

Hicks12 (24-01-2010)

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    I believe matty was pointing out that if NVidia enabled PhysX support as default with ATI cards in the system there wouldn't be a registry hack to blame.

But it wouldn't even take a registry hack.
    All it needs is a single boolean option in the graphics card properties: enable Hardware PhysX support. It's default is enabled when the card detects it's in an all NVidia system, and disabled when it detects the presence of other vendor's graphics card. Users can simply go into the card's properties dialogues (or whatever NVidia's catalyst control centre equivalent is (and would you believe I own 2 nvidia graphics cards? )) and simply tick the checkbox if they want PhysX support alongside their HD 5850. A warning box pops up saying "We have detected that you've made a pact with the devil and bought an ATI graphics card - if you use PhysX your computer is likely to explode and we won't take any respoinsibility for it! Are you sure you want to enable PhysX?"* and if the user clicks OK then it's reasonable to assume that they know what they're getting themselves into. NVidia are covered from a QA point of view, and I can buy a cheapy DDR2 GT220 to process all those pretty PhysX effects. It'd be pretty simple to implement and it would make a *lot* of people who currently dislike NVidia feel somewhat more inclined to buy their hardware. I don't get how they can think their current approach is good business practice...

*this is a suggested wording only, and may be changed in the final implementtion
    Yeah, that's what I was implying.

nVidia could have used a registry setting instead, that was very easy to hack - so people can use it, but it's evidently unsupported. Or equally they could've had an "unsupported" tickbox as scaryjim suggested.

Instead they've been trying to prevent people from using ATI cards with the vigour of Securom preventing piracy, which implies to me that "unsupported" really isn't the crux of the issue here.

Thread Information