Thread: Is DVI really Plug and Play?

X10
    Registered+
    Thanks

Is DVI really Plug and Play?

Hi all, as the subject suggests, I thought I'd ask some of the experts here on Hexus.

The main reason refers back to my original problem (here: http://forums.hexus.net/help-technic...ktop-help.html) and a Live Chat I had with XFX's support members (copied below).
    What he ultimately said was that you can't disconnect a DVI Cable from a graphics card running nVIDIA drivers and plug it back in while the PC is on and have the signal come back to the monitor. Apparently it is a 'feature' of DVI and nVidia's drivers to disable the DVI signal.

Is this something that you guys have come across, this seems a little backwards as far as technology goes!?

All comments welcome.

X10

TICKET #:
    TONY-Hi. Welcome to XFX-Live. How can I help?
    X10-Hello, I am having an issue with the image from my graphics card, and I cannot ascertain if it is the monitor, the graphics card or some other problem, do you think you could help me?
    TONY-hi, sorry to hear you are having difficulties, please can you explain in more detail what is happening and any changes you made since it started?
    X10-If I disconnect the DVI cable from the graphics card, while the the computer is on, then reconnect the DVI cable back into the graphics card, the picture will not display. The monitor goes into Stanby, as if there was no signal coming into it. If I then reboot/shutdown and restart the PC, the monitor still gets no signal. I have to boot into Safe Mode, then re-install the Graphics Card Drivers to get the monitor to display an image again.
    TONY-HI, yes, you should keep the cable connected whilst the PC is on. If you have 2 monitors cennected, you should disable iin the nvidia panel before disconnecting
    X10-I only have 1 monitor connected. The monitor is plug and play and I do not see any reason why I would have to re-install the drivers just because I disconnected the monitor. Also, I have asked a numberof other people with this graphics card and monitor and they say they have not experienced the problem I am having, which is why I suspect a fault. But I was hoping you could shed some more light as to why this happens.
    TONY-digital connection is different, once disconnected, you have to re-enable in the nvidia panel
    X10-Okay, how do I re-enable in the nVidia panel?
    TONY-you need a monitor connected to re-enable the display in the nv panel
    X10-Okay, so let me see if I understand you correctly.
    X10-If I have just one monitor connected and I disconnect it, it is a *normal feature of DVI* to stop sending a signal to the monitor, even if you re-connect it back into the DVI port?
    X10-If I then want to re-enable that monitor, I would need a *second* monitor *already* plugged into the second DVI port to be able to access the nVidia control panel?
    TONY-issue is straigtforward, please do not disconnect monitor without either turning the PC off or disabling in the nv panel. Yes, with digital monitors, it will not automatically enable
    X10-And what about, if I shut down the PC, disconnect the DVI monitor, connect it to a TV, watch something on the TV, then shut down PC again, connect back to DVI Monitor, should the monitor work?
    TONY-do you mean TV from s-video socket? that will not work either, again, as you need to enable the TV in the nvpanel. Best way is to have both connected to start with, then switch between the 2 when required
    X10-Yes, TV from the S-Video socket, I find that I can disconnect DVI, reboot with TV working, but then when I shutdown and go back to Monitor it will not show an image.
    X10-So why does Safe Mode work with the monitor, but not booting up normally?
    TONY-in this case, solution is not to disconnect
    TONY-in safe mode, nvidia drivers are not governing the displays
    X10-So is the problem actually something to do with nVidia drivers, rather than the DVI technology itself?
    X10-Or is this a limitation of the DVI technology?
    TONY-down to both really, nv drivers designed this way to have best control over the displays
    X10-Is there anyway to re-enable a DVI monitor before it is connected?
    X10-The reason I am asking all this is because I like to disconnect my PC, take it to my living room and watch films etc. on my TV sometimes. This means I cannot have both connected at the same time. As I didn`t have any problems when using my old VGA connector on my old graphics card (this is my first DVI capable graphics card and monitor) I found it odd that I can`t just go from one to the other as I had done previously - It seems like a step backwards in technology!
    TONY-no way round this I`m afraid, unless you dont install the drivers
    TONY-possibly older drivers may not be so particular, why not try the driver archive at nvidia.com? but the fact is that with video drivers being programmed more to be in line with windows drivers architecture, this is the way forward
    X10-If I don`t install the drivers, will the monitor function properly?
    X10-Sorry, not the `monitor` the ` graphics card`
    TONY-it should stil function, but the display will not be so good and no nvpanel to adjust properties, configuation, etc. Also, performance will suffer
    TONY-but even if you wish to move the TV, still nota problem keeping monitor connected?
    X10-I only take the base unit to the living room. I don`t want to have to lug a 22` monitor as well. I see there is no option to re-connect besides what I have been doing which is re-installing the drivers from Safe Mode - If, as you say, this is the new `functionality` with DVI and nVidia drivers. This is a real shame and a step backwards in technology.
    TONY-sorry we cant hep you with this one, but anything else, please let us know
    X10-Thanks.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Is DVI really Plug and Play?

Mmm, I have a Radeon 4850 which is driving a Dell 30" panel at 2560x1600 i.e. dual link. I just pulled the DVI cable out running Vista desktop and the monitor started colour cycling.

When I plugged the cable back in, the display returned ? Slightly puzzled why Nvidia drivers would disable the output if signal was disrupted ? can't see the point, doesn't save any power and reduces the robustness of the DVI signal [cables fall out etc.].

Sorry, haven't an nVidia card to test here.

NOT Banned
    Thanks

Same here, I've pulled out the DVI cable on my monitor before and when I put it back in it continues like normal with the display.

Thanks

Got a 9800GTX+ at home, will happily test it out for you. But from memory, I've done this before and the display 'returned' fine.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

It should be PnP, although I have the odd glitch with my 8800GTX which got relegated to a spare PC 6 months ago.

Installing drivers was a matter of luck, half the time the screen went black and never came back although the PC was fine and I could finish the install off as long as I remembered the keystrokes to press the correct buttons!

Also, occasionally when resuming from powersaving the monitor display would go nuts as if the gfx card was faulty.....turning the monitor off and back on resolved it though.

Had no problems at all since switching to an AMD card....So there may be some mileage in what XFX say (at least to some degree)
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Gfinch's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Dimension 9200
      • CPU:
      • Intel Dual Core, Core 2 Duo E6320, 1866 MHz
      • Memory:
      • 4096MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM
      • Storage:
      • 320GB Serial ATA RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon™ HD 4670, 1GB GDDr3.
      • Case:
      • Dell Crap
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x86
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" (1680 *1050)
      • Internet:
      • BT

When I had my 8600 GTS, the picture didn't return and I had to reboot to get it back, no problems with my HD 4670 though

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

I've pulled mine out, changed the connector and everything, i was quite impressed that it kept everything correct when i switched the outputs around on the fly
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

X10
    Registered+
    Thanks

Well I am running a XFX8800 GTS so I'm in the same boat as Gfinch here.
    It would seem there is some BS as to the XFX tech guy but also seems to be a problem perhaps related to XFX boards and the 8800GTS in particular?

I have to say it is a very very annoying thing to have to reboot and reinstall drivers if I don't shutdown when disconnecting the monitor.

X10

Thanks
    • CrazyMonkey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M4N98TD Evo
      • CPU:
      • Phenom II X6 1055T @ 4.1ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 Dominator @ 1700mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120GB OCZ Vertex 2E - 1TB Hitatchi
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x 460 1GB
      • PSU:
      • 850W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02R-WRI Ltd.Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7, XP, Server2008 RC1, Gentoo
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer LED - 22" Belinea - 19" Samsung - 19" IIyama
      • Internet:
      • 50 MB Virgin Media Cable

Have never heard of or experienced an issue like yours. Only problems i have is when i pull out and switch to a different resolution monitor on-fly it skews, but then resets.

I'd say there is a problem with your card if you are having to re-install the drivers.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

My Quadro certainally doesn't do this. I've unplugged my monitor a few times to change cables about etc without a problem.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X10 View Post
    Apparently it is a 'feature' of DVI and nVidia's drivers to disable the DVI signal.
    DVI has a pin dedicated to hot swap detecting (pin 16), so the DVI interface fully supports it.
    As for nVidia - I can hotswap on my nVidia cards without issue.

I wouldn't take their comments too seriously.

Thanks

I have a 8800GT and have no problems here.

I have found XFX support to be poor in the past. Is there a particular requirement you have, where you need to unplug your monitor regularly?

Thread Information