Thread: Automaticly change default audio device

handscombmp

Automaticly change default audio device

Is there a way to change the default audio output when i open up an application.

It's becuasce my PC will only output dts/Dolbydigital in Media Center and WMP if the default media device Optical whilst i normaly have it in speakers (which does go through optical due to my Xonar D1).

Thanks

Re: Automaticly change default audio device

Have a look for Vista Audio Changer - it's not gonna do it automatically, but will do it with a key combo. And if you use Event Ghost you could map that key combo to 1 key, or unused remote button.

I have mine set to Ctrl+Alt+comma which I've mapped to an unused button on my Gyration remote.

Event Ghost may even let you trigger the key press on launch of WMP/WMC - it's worth a look.

Both are free btw.

3. Received thanks from:

handscombmp

Looks like what i may be after.

I'll just map it to my sound button on my remote or see if evenghost can do it automaticly somehow (think it can)

Looks like this will do me but if anyone else comes up with what they think is a better idea i'll be happy to hear it.

Thanks

Event Ghost should - all I did was create a new event which was set to the key combo I set up in VAC. After that I just hit the remote button I wanted to assign it to, and viola they linked to each other.

I have a Xonar HDAV Slim so have pretty much the same issue as you, needing to switch between audio sources in order to get DD/DTS or uncompressed multichannel playback.

6. Received thanks from:

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Skinleech View Post
    I have a Xonar HDAV Slim so have pretty much the same issue as you, needing to switch between audio sources in order to get DD/DTS or uncompressed multichannel playback.
    Why can't you just always use multichannel over HDMI? It still works for DD/DTS (although your amp wil not tell you its DD/DTS), at least it works when using HDMI on my 4550.

It's just the digital equivilent of using the 3 seperate analog speaker ports.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

handscombmp

I've just installed it and hit some problems. (I'm running it in Win 7 so they could be it but the website say it should be fine)

When i right click on the icon in the notifications bar it works fine and will change the default device 100% of the time.

The problem comes when i try to auto change it as a program starts.

When i start the program it will change fine but when i close the program it will do one of three things.

1. It will either flash the box up like it's changed it but it wont have done it.

2. The box will appear and stay there 'pulsing' (if you see what i mean with the taskbar flashing) with the device need for the program set as default still

3. It will seem to open multiple box of the sound devices and all of them will 'pulse' like above

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Why can't you just always use multichannel over HDMI? It still works for DD/DTS (although your amp wil not tell you its DD/DTS), at least it works when using HDMI on my 4550.

It's just the digital equivilent of using the 3 seperate analog speaker ports.
    I could do that, but like having it bitstreamed. Also, I have AC3 filter set to sp/dif so I get no sound unless I have the Xonar set correctly. Like I say, daft maybe, I just prefer bitstreaming and seeing DD/DTS on the amp.

Quote Originally Posted by handscombmp View Post
    I've just installed it and hit some problems. (I'm running it in Win 7 so they could be it but the website say it should be fine)

When i right click on the icon in the notifications bar it works fine and will change the default device 100% of the time.

The problem comes when i try to auto change it as a program starts.

When i start the program it will change fine but when i close the program it will do one of three things.

1. It will either flash the box up like it's changed it but it wont have done it.

2. The box will appear and stay there 'pulsing' (if you see what i mean with the taskbar flashing) with the device need for the program set as default still

3. It will seem to open multiple box of the sound devices and all of them will 'pulse' like above
    Hmm, no idea I'm afraid: I'm on Vista and don't have it set to change on program launch I'm afraid. Does it happen with any progam you've set to auto-launch or just WMC?

Thread Information