Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: News - Apple denies smokers' warranties

Thanks

Re: News - Apple denies smokers' warranties

Quote Originally Posted by BobF64 View Post
    That only works on the "foolish purchase" users though, those that were persuaded by friends to buy one.

All the true Mac users would never do that, its like being on heroin for them.
    That'd be it then... Heroin and fags are known to be a dangerous combination... just look at all those junkies who smoke.

Still, I'd like to see someone melt a MacBook in a teaspoon and inject it between their toes... Would you have to drawback first or just punch through?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Nicotine is harmless in the minute quantities that'll be within a smoker's laptop. It IS addictive but you'd have to LICK a LOT of lappies to get anywhere and I think you'd have more to worry about than nicotine addiction if you did do that.

There's a load of voodoo mumbo jumbo about nicotine on the web, claiming it to be one of the most violent poisons known to man, kills in minutes etc etc...

All true, but in MASSIVE doses, but good lord, water is poisonous if taken in large enough quantities... and alcohol is a bigger and more easily obtainable in lethal dose killer.
    This isn't about the nicotine. This is about all the harmful carcinogenic chemicals that are inside cigarette smoke which is what is all throughout a computer that a smoker uses.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/f...acco/cessation

Read up. 250 known harmful chemicals inside cigarette smoke. I don't want to be exposed to any of those for even an instant.

So does that mean Apple won't service a laptop that has had a glass of wine spilt on it?
    Under warranty? Probably not. That would be self inflicted damage on the product and not due to manufacturer defect.

But let's just accept that Apple has the rule in force to protect its employees. So can I take it that NOT ONE Apple employee smokes?

I certainly hope so, after all, if we can contaminate them, they can contaminate me.

Just as me smoking makes my laptop unserviceable for Apple, an Apple technician working on my laptop after he has had a smoke has now rendered it unusable for me.

Obviously the safest option for me is to assume that the technician smokes and to demand a new laptop rather than a repair until Apple can conclusively prove that a smoker at not time touched my laptop.

Seems fair, no?
    I 110% doubt that AppleCare technicians are smoking inside a repair or assembly facility. They might have designated smoking facilities outside but should be washing their hands or using sanitizer before touching product after their 15 minute smoke break.

Thanks
    • mycarsavw's system
      • Motherboard:
      • P8H77-M Pro
      • CPU:
      • i5 3350P
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb
      • Storage:
      • Lots
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 285
      • PSU:
      • HX 620w
      • Case:
      • FD Define Mini
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2420HDBL + GL2450HT
      • Internet:
      • Sky

Quote Originally Posted by 12GaugeShotty View Post

Read up. 250 known harmful chemicals inside cigarette smoke. I don't want to be exposed to any of those for even an instant.
    Have you ever been to a pub / concert / train station/platform / etc - it may be too late already
    |Kata: "Read title as 'fisting'. Not sure why I clicked. Relieved, really."|
    |TAKTAK: "It was so small that mine wouldn't fit into it"|

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

I take it that you live on an island in the middle of nowhere, with no vehicles, or factories then, and you never sweat...
    What about the air in Scunthorpe (Steel works) or Immingham (Oil Refinerys) Or even my works yard when the new plans get actioned.
    (The workshop is 5 times above the pollution levels so they are having to fit huge-ass fans that blow it out into the yard...... Sure... that solves the problem... It just moves it all into the office...)
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

I'm ITX
    Thanks

Imagine is Microsoft done this!

Thanks
    • amjedm's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus A8N-Sli Premium
      • CPU:
      • Athlon X2 4200 S939 + Scythe Ninja rev A
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair DDR PC3200
      • Storage:
      • Samsung T 160GB Sata in Scythe Quiet Box
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 6600 256MB + Cooling Mod
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Noisetaker 485 (fanless) - lower chamber P180 fan doing the PSU cooling
      • Case:
      • P180 (modded - easier cable routing, front and rear grills cut)
      • Operating System:
      • XP Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22" WTQ?
      • Internet:
      • O2 8MB (Standard)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterStoba View Post
    Imagine is Microsoft done this!
    Service Pack/Updates cannot be installed as you're a smoker, lol

Thanks

I 110% doubt that AppleCare technicians are smoking inside a repair or assembly facility. They might have designated smoking facilities outside but should be washing their hands or using sanitizer before touching product after their 15 minute smoke break.
    Well you say that but why would anyone working on a laptop sanitize their hands after a smoke break?

I know there's the hand to mouth bacteria thing, but in the real world, people sanitizing their hands before handling stuff you put in your mouth doesn't happen. Check it out next time you're in a bar... the barman takes someone's money, hands then their change and then picks up a glass to pour the next pint... and that's somewhere you could reasonably expect there to be a demand for hygiene.

Soooo, given that it's not a reasonable expectations that you should have a need for sanitized, bacteria free hands working on your laptop, you're not going to get sanitized, bacteria free hands working on your laptop... which means the smoking Apple employee has just contaminated my lappy.

Of course, all this is pedantry compared with the fact that if Apple is so concerned over the health of its technicians, surely it should be banning smoking and hiring non-smokers?

After all, no amount of hand washing is going to rid their clothes and hair of residual smoke, which surely must be more prevalent after their smoke break than what is in a smoker's lappy?

Basically, no matter how you look at this, unless there's been some sort of mis-communication from Apple, banning working on smokers' laptops akin to wearing nothing but a condom for a space walk... sure, you won't catch an STD but there's a load more to worry about than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Sippin40oz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte -p43-es3g
      • CPU:
      • intel e6750
      • Memory:
      • ocz reaper ddr2 9200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx gt7300gt
      • PSU:
      • winpower 600w (junk!)
      • Case:
      • trendsonic wizard
      • Operating System:
      • xp 32
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama
      • Internet:
      • virgin 10mb

your worried about tiny trace amounts of these chemicals? Surely if these chemicals were a serious health hazard then there wouldnt be any smokers left alive to bring in their computers in the first place! In all honesty normal pollution is probably more alot more dangerous to your health then fixing a smokers computer.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Sippin40oz View Post
    your worried about tiny trace amounts of these chemicals? Surely if these chemicals were a serious health hazard then there wouldnt be any smokers left alive to bring in their computers in the first place! In all honesty normal pollution is probably more alot more dangerous to your health then fixing a smokers computer.
    Bingo, the whole zomg2ndhandsmokeisaseriousthreattohealth crap is a nonsensical excuse made by the government to exert more control over the population.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Sippin40oz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte -p43-es3g
      • CPU:
      • intel e6750
      • Memory:
      • ocz reaper ddr2 9200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • xfx gt7300gt
      • PSU:
      • winpower 600w (junk!)
      • Case:
      • trendsonic wizard
      • Operating System:
      • xp 32
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama
      • Internet:
      • virgin 10mb

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    Bingo, the whole zomg2ndhandsmokeisaseriousthreattohealth crap is a nonsensical excuse made by the government to exert more control over the population.
    I kind of understand worrying about 2nd hand smoke in resturants etc. but it just seems like the whole world has gone mad with the whole anti smoking thing! People are not dropping dead in the road from fixing contaminated computers so whats the problem? In fact most computers contain lead, silcones and probably countless other toxins. The computer itself is probably more toxic then the smoking residue!

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

This isn't about the nicotine. This is about all the harmful carcinogenic chemicals that are inside cigarette smoke which is what is all throughout a computer that a smoker uses.

Would you care to wager on the half life of said chemicals? I doubt any chemical residue left by somebody having a fag at their desk lasts long enough inside a computer to even make it through shipping intact let alone into the factory.

Thanks

Well you say that but why would anyone working on a laptop sanitize their hands after a smoke break?
    1. You should sanitize your hands after touching someone elses laptop/keyboard.
    2. You should wash/sanitize your hands after smoking. Of course given the number of cigarette butts I always see on the streets I know how respectful smokers are of other people's property.

I know there's the hand to mouth bacteria thing, but in the real world, people sanitizing their hands before handling stuff you put in your mouth doesn't happen. Check it out next time you're in a bar... the barman takes someone's money, hands then their change and then picks up a glass to pour the next pint... and that's somewhere you could reasonably expect there to be a demand for hygiene.
    I don't go to bars. Why? Because they rip you off. I'd rather buy my own hard liquor knowing it isn't going to be watered down and 300% markup. I am well aware of how to mix my own drinks as well.

Soooo, given that it's not a reasonable expectations that you should have a need for sanitized, bacteria free hands working on your laptop, you're not going to get sanitized, bacteria free hands working on your laptop... which means the smoking Apple employee has just contaminated my lappy.
    Again, there is a difference with barely touching parts for repair and fumigating it by blowing smoke all over it as you use it. Take a look below...

Of course, all this is pedantry compared with the fact that if Apple is so concerned over the health of its technicians, surely it should be banning smoking and hiring non-smokers?

After all, no amount of hand washing is going to rid their clothes and hair of residual smoke, which surely must be more prevalent after their smoke break than what is in a smoker's lappy?
    Most large companies will indeed have smoking cessation classes due to life insurance and medical insurance reasons.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

LOL, that is *SUCH* a strawman. Most of that damage is clearly heat related, note the cigarette sitting *on* the keyboard, if that was left to burn down to the butt it would melt the plastic, and that keyboard is almost half my age.
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aidanjt View Post
    LOL, that is *SUCH* a strawman. Most of that damage is clearly heat related, note the cigarette sitting *on* the keyboard, if that was left to burn down to the butt it would melt the plastic, and that keyboard is almost half my age.
    It's just an example...although extreme. I have worked on PCs that the moment I turned them on they blew out a cloud of cigarette smelling smoke from the back of the PSU. Opening the case up I was exposed to serious disgusting stink of smoke. Computers use fans and have vents in the front. They will draw in that cigarette smoke and coat the internals with it.

Here, look at this: http://www.smokerslungs.com

That is the same disgusting garbage that is on the inside of a smoker's PC. Although those lungs are from YEARS of smoking it shows just how vile smoking is and what it does to EVERYTHING exposed to it.

It's disgusting and I refuse to ever be exposed to it if I can help it. I don't like Apple as a company but I completely support refusing to touch a PC that has been so smoke filled that it reeks of cigarettes.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

It's just an example...although extreme. I have worked on PCs that the moment I turned them on they blew out a cloud of cigarette smelling smoke from the back of the PSU. Opening the case up I was exposed to serious disgusting stink of smoke. Computers use fans and have vents in the front. They will draw in that cigarette smoke and coat the internals with it.

Here, look at this: http://www.smokerslungs.com

That is the same disgusting garbage that is on the inside of a smoker's PC. Although those lungs are from YEARS of smoking it shows just how vile smoking is and what it does to EVERYTHING exposed to it.

It's disgusting and I refuse to ever be exposed to it if I can help it. I don't like Apple as a company but I completely support refusing to touch a PC that has been so smoke filled that it reeks of cigarettes.
    And? How is that in any way related to supporting broken laptops? Nobody is saying smoking is cool and harmless. Simply that it's irrelevant when it comes to fixing machines. Are you going to get all 'icky' over the thought of dusting out a lint-clogged PC as well? After all, dust does far far far more damage to the lungs than a getting a whiff of nasty zero hand smoke.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sippin40oz View Post
    People are not dropping dead in the road from fixing contaminated computers so whats the problem?
    That's only because you get run over first. Who thought fixing computers in the road was a good idea?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information