Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Features - QOTW: First impressions - Xbox One or PlayStation 4?

Thanks

Re: Features - QOTW: First impressions - Xbox One or PlayStation 4?

No is the simple answer I almost definitely will not be buying one of these, my computer will do and I'll gladly cut out the cost of one of these things to spend elsewhere. I'll see where my 360 takes me before it bites the dust but it will probably be my last ever games console...

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

I don't see why people are kicking off you can only play a single copy of a game on one console at the same time, because before you disc magically split in 2 and let you play in 2 rooms from the same copy?

Sony's silence is deafening, they know they are doing all the same things yet microsoft are taking all the flack, next it will be we had to do because microsoft did it.

Thanks
    • Badbonji's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GIGABYTE G1.Sniper M3
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 3770k 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB TeamElite 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 256GB M4 SSD + 150GB Raptor
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850+ Rev. 2
      • Case:
      • Antec 1200
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" 1920x1200 + LG 32" 1080P TV
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 2 76/19Mbps

The PS4 definitely looks the most attractive, but not nearly attractive as just sticking with my PC for gaming. Rarely get to use my PS3 or Wii these days.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

I wouldn't consider either of the consoles, both seem to offer an even more restrictive experience than Steam, with none of the benefits.

I'll wait till they finish a Steam-box and use that instead

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Thanks

Neither, not until there is finally a console game I really want to play that does not have a PC port.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • EzioAs's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77A-GD65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (4x4GB) 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 320GB WD Black + 1TB Samsung F3 + 2TB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 660 Twin Frozr III
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 750D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VS228

With the way things are looking now, if I were to buy a console, I'd go with the PS4. Reasons:

1. Certain PlayStation exclusives titles always interest me more than Xbox exclusive titles (although if they were to remove exclusive titles and made all games available to the PC, I wouldn't even bother with consoles)

2. Rumored to be sold at a lower price at release (wouldn't want to spend too much on consoles since that's not my primary gaming machine)

3. Seems to be a lot less gimmicks and whatnot compared to the Xbox One (with it's 24/7 online and such)

4. I've used lots of Sony products in the past and they seem to be of very good quality (not the type you'd expect to fail after a year). On the other hand, I've seen lots of people complaining about the Xbox 360 in the past compared to the PS3.

5. Playstation seems to be easier to emulate (I'm guessing, since PS1 and PS2 emulators are out) and I do hope I can emulate PS4 for my PC because if I could play games I want at my PC, I wouldn't need the console itself.

Of course, this is my opinion and not everybody has to agree. However, I do like the Xbox 360 controller (I have one for my PC for action/adventure, hack and slash) and looking at the new ones that come with the Xbox One, I may buy another controller just because I like the looks and assumes it fits my hand really well.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Forgot to mention that the always on Kinnect camera and microphone make me feel really uneasy. Big Brother anyone?
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Most probably neither, nor a Wii U or any of these basic Android fad things.

I own a Vita, only really ever play it on the train because at home I have better things. I owned a Wii once, quickly got bored and sold it. PC games are much better and more involving, I have never found the TV a good place to game (it's all fun until the Mrs wants "her program" on) and I find the controllers are just frustrating for anything other than simple games which bore me.

PC+Mouse+Keyboard+Total War = Hours Happy!

If I were held at gunpoint and made to buy one it'd be the XBox One, the additional features, Kinect, Microsoft ecosystem and potential for things other than gaming are the most interesting. I couldn't give a rats ass about the need to call the mothership every 24 hours because like most people I have internet that's more than capable of that and as for the second hand game trading thing I think Microsoft have taken a very mature and sensible approach by aiming to creating a framework that prevents abuse and allowing the actual publisher's (i.e. the rights owner) of the games to choose whether to participate or not.

XBox One would probably have been a solid "sold" for me if I weren't such a nerd and didn't have many other things attached to my TV, media servers and PVRs everywhere already. For people who are less inclined to set up a whole media network at home they look pretty good to me. I hope the new Kinect finds it's way to Windows 8, it'd be quite handy to voice control the TV.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    Forgot to mention that the always on Kinnect camera and microphone make me feel really uneasy. Big Brother anyone?
    Don't do anything saucy in front of it then!

Or... maybe... shocking... unplug the Kinect if it bothers you? Or just pop it down behind the TV? The idea that of millions of customers Microsoft would actually care to snoop on YOU or anyone is just laughable - really, we aren't that interesting. The only thing they would even vaguely want is usage statistics like most common voice commands, duration used per day... and that kind of gathering isn't new.

If it does send any sensitive data back to the mothership then a day or two after release once someone has done a network packet capture and a few experiments it will be massive news all over the world... I don't think any company would be so stupid to think they could do that and not cause an outcry.

Less paranoia, more realism...
    Last edited by kingpotnoodle; 08-06-2013 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks
    • Gunbuster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus AX370 Gaming K7
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 1700x + Scythe Kotetsu MK I
      • Memory:
      • 32GB: 4x 8GB HyperX Fury 2400mhz CL15 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 2x Sandisk Ultra II 960GB, 1x Crucial MX100 512GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Gaming GTX970
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 750w
      • Case:
      • Cougar Panzer S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • DGM IPS-2701WPH 27" 1440p IPS Monitor
      • Internet:
      • Aquiss Fibre

Vaguely PS4.

But we haven't seen the console or the games. Asking this week is silly, unless this is to counterbalance the post e3 reaction.

That said the PS3 has delivered some of my favourite console gaming experiences. Valkyria Chronicles, Uncharted and Burnout: Paradise amongst them.

If Sony are just biting the tongue because their anti-second hand game system is as bad as MS's, well the PS4 will be off the list too then.

Thanks
    • ajax2061's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus max hero 8
      • CPU:
      • 6700k @4.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 ssd and a 4TB mech
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 Fury
      • PSU:
      • corsair rm1000x
      • Case:
      • nzxt 440 red and black
      • Operating System:
      • 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 3007WFP-HC
      • Internet:
      • bt fttc @76 down and 15-16 up

not a console gamer so wont be getting either, but what I am happy about these consoles is how close to pc hardware they are using. Hopefully we will see more games using multicore cpu's better now. Writers will try to push these consoles as much as possable so they 'should' be pushing all the cores and with the hardware being very very close to standard pc hardware ports should also use the extra cores more.

This and only this is what excites me about the new consoles.

Registered+
    Thanks

Microsoft is really kicking themselves hard here. Sony, they're doing ok. But the fact that these consoles are PC's in a small box with a brand on them just makes PC so much more better. Also, we do everything XBOX ONE and PS4 do, and have been for a very long time (except for the Kinects but who cares). Can't believe that 8GB of GDDr5 is actually getting people sold on the idea of PS4.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by mcmiller View Post
    The WII U doesnt look so bad now..
    Doesn't do anything for me that the cheaper Wii doesn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecube View Post
    You know that you can unplug the Kinect? Although, the gen in the gamer press is that the XBone titles are going to have Kinect "leveraged" in as a mandatory part.

PS4 or XBone?
    No PS4 - don't like the controller - since it's a PS3 one enhanced. And the hardware lead that the PS3 had over the XBox 360 isn't there this time - they're evenly matched.
    XBone could have been in with a shout, but for all the nonsense around it - like the need to have a certain level of internet capability, mandatory Kinect in games, no compatibility with earlier titles. And it's not exactly a feast for the eyes either!
    Switching to PC gaming is a possible, but all that "wait for windows to get it's s**t together", then umpteen different support tools that are "needed" - DirectX, PunkBuster, etc puts me off.
    Steam box is very appealing, IF they can get the software support needed from the major studios. Strikes me as a lot less hassle than either of the new consoles.

So no, at the moment, I'm thinking to just hold onto the old XBox360 and perhaps move to PC gaming in due course. Of course, if Sony or Microsoft want to offer a decent trade-in deal then I might be persuaded.
    Last edited by crossy; 09-06-2013 at 11:08 AM.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Since I've not really heard anything about the PS4, I don't have a first impression to form. I'll wait a while (at least a year if not two+) before making a decision. That decision is largely going to be based on the exclusive games of each platform.

Dark side super agent
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    You know that you can unplug the Kinect? Although, the gen in the gamer press is that the XBone titles are going to have Kinect "leveraged" in as a mandatory part.
    From what I've read you won't be able to unplug the Kinect. Or that you can but the console won't work. Either way, the Kinect will always need to be on supposedly to pick up voice commands and gestures.
    An Atlantean Triumvirate, Ghosts of the Past, The Centre Cannot Hold
    The Pillars of Britain, Foundations of the Reich, Cracks in the Pillars.

My books are available here for Amazon Kindle. Feedback always welcome!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Neither, for me.

PS4 is just vaguely possible, but I'm not a Sony fan, and haven't really bother to even look at what the PS4 offers, so I guess I wouldn't rule it out entirely, without doing that.

XB One is dead, as far as I'm concerned, unless it changes substantially from what's been announced, And I'm not holding my breath.
    You've never struck me before as someone who'd dismiss something because "I'm not a Sony fan"
    That being said there will be some sort of DRM or online component to the PS4 I'd imagine, that's a legitimate reason

Currently for me it's PS4, this is based on:

- The gaming credentials that have been shown so far
    - I have a Vita so crossplay is awesome
    - The awesomeness that is PS+
    - The XB:One kinect/pre owned/online issues are NOT acceptable to me.

Of course I await the negatives being announced by Sony to make a final decision although I wouldn't be buying one as soon as they're released anyway.

16. Received thanks from:

Scribe (08-06-2013)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rob_B View Post
    You've never struck me before as someone who'd dismiss something because "I'm not a Sony fan"

Well, "not a Sony fan" was a kind-of short-hand.

First, I've had an experience or two with Sony that does not endear them to me. Not quite bad enough to say "no way in hell", but adequate to be a large tick in the negative column when it comes to selection criteria for a new product. Put it this way, two products, identically appealing to me in every other regard, and I go for the non-Sony one.

Second, and I have to be a bit guarded in this, a friend is a Sony dealer (among dealerships for many others), and his comments are that, in relation to customer service, Sony have been .... erm .... far from ideal to deal with.

I absolutely am someone that would dismiss a company or product based on negative experience though. For instance, I got jerked about by a Tesco branch some years back. I complained to a "manager", but didn't get far, complained to head office, who promised to "look into it, and get back to me". I'm still waiting for them to get back to me .... and I haven't bought a thing in Tesco since. Nor do I plan on it. And I get petrol elsewhere now, too, even if it means going out of my way, and paying more. Tesco are blacklisted.

Sony aren't on my blacklist. But they aren't my first, or tenth, choice. I'm about to buy (probably) a new TV. I know I can get something suitable from several companies, including Panasonic, Samsung, LG, etc, so frankly, I haven't, and won't, even bother to look at Sony offerings, because given6n a choice, I'll go elsewhere.

If, repeat IF, a PS4 was otherwise suitable, didn't have the negatives I object to on the Xbox, and was at a decent price, I'd consider it. But based on experience, I can't quite see the PS4 being substantially cheaper than the XBox and I'm not paying anything like the predicted £400 for a games console, by anyone, regardless of features or power. I don't want a games console that badly, unless it's also a freezer, and tumble dryer.

So "dismiss" it. Not quite, no. But buy one? As I said, just barely possible.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information