Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: MV Ixius 3.6 Laptop and NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Go 256MB

Zoom-Zoom
    Thanks
    Any chance of some screen specs? As in Response times please?

Also I assume this is the same company as was once multivision??? Website looks remarkably similar. I was happy with my last laptop, however they went belly up and alas I had no warranty. Luckily nothing went wrong!

Thanks

From MV...

Hi,

I am dissappointed to hear you've had a this experience with us. We are customer service focused and all of MV's machines are checked very thoroughly before they are dispatched.

I will speak to mobile support myself tomorrow and get this moving as quickly as possible. In this instance I am aware of the problem with your machine (I can assure you it is completed isolated) and will be in contact via email tomorrow (22nd Feb) to ensure you get a satisfactory solution to this as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Jon Kitchen
    MV

Quote Originally Posted by s0nix
    Hi lunarmys,

all I can say is Im glad thats all that is wrong with your MV.

Now I maybe VERY unlucky but I have not got off to the best start with MV, after small delays with getting the laptop I was so happy I went home and picked up the laptop and then when back to work, got it all setup and killed the power save options ran some 3d marks to show it off to the rest of my IT dept and then it happen.

Screen when blank as if it when into sleep mode, restarted - nothing, ran though all the other things and still a blank, 2 HOURS after use (works out about 18 pounds a minute)

contacted Mobile support and got ok replace or repair, Im sorry but when I pay over 2k for a laptop and it is DOA I dont want it repaired, so replace - begining to middle of MARCH for that....

ok I half accepted this and then later after looking around the net and some mag's I wanted to return the laptop and get my cash back so I could go to a different company and I have heared NOTHING back from MV or mobile support about this.. so at the moment I have over 2k paperweight/clock.

after checking out the laptop when I got home it looks as if none of the 4 fans at he bottom start up when turning it up, the DVD drive moves a good 3mm in all areas.

Regards.

Thanks
    what about some screen specs alisdair ?

any news whether your chassis supplier is gonna release an amd fx model ?

Thanks
    I have to admit that although Alasdair seems very helpful on here, I'm not getting much joy with the sales dept. I have been emailling since Xmas, with regard to a system, but as of yet, I haven't heard back. Not really a good initial impression, I'm afriad

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxile
    I have to admit that although Alasdair seems very helpful on here, I'm not getting much joy with the sales dept. I have been emailling since Xmas, with regard to a system, but as of yet, I haven't heard back. Not really a good initial impression, I'm afriad

im still haveing hope although when an amd fx verson gets released as im quite sure someone at some point will then i wont be a happy chappy if i couldnt get basic sales feedback when i was looking to buy

Thanks
    they suck at replying to emails :-/
    when i was in the process of buying my laptop, i had to call them up several times to get a reply (in a timely fashion)

give them a bell and i'm sure they'll answer you question(s)

Thanks
    nah , i think i will just hold off , this new dell laptop that has the 6800 ultra gpu in it seems very promising and it is a dothan chipset so built in wireless and better thermal management

god damnit if only someone would make a fx based dtr that was like the ixius and had cool n quiet id be a happy man

Thanks

Very contactable!

Hi again!

Bit behind on checking out the forum but just picked up on this so thought it would be worth a quick post...We do work hard to ensure that all emails are responded to the same day and usually within the hour where possible.

I'm sure this was a one off blip on our part but whenever you need us just email play@go-mv.com we will have a response for you very quickly.

We have 2 different numbers you can call and an email so we are very contactable I can assure you!

Alasdair (far more technical than me )and myself do check the forums regularly so will always aim to get back to you ASAP as well, if you have had any difficulties.

Great to see the interest so far!

Thanks,

JK

Quote Originally Posted by Foxile

Thanks
    il thank you when u wedge an fx 55 in that chassis

MV R&D
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by weebroonieuk
    il thank you when u wedge an fx 55 in that chassis
    Well, we hope that we'll be able to recieve that thanks soon!

MV R&D
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lunarmys
    After spending almost £2k I expected a laptop with a DECENT soundcard at least.?
    I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the sound output. Personally, I find the Ixius to give good sound for a notebook. In fact I might go so far as to say it's the best notebook I've heard
    Besides that it runs very well, although it gets very very hot (helps keep the central heating bill down! ).
    you have to remember that this baby has an Intel 915P desktop chipset squeezed down into a portable chassis. so it has almost the same amount of heat energy to dispose of as your desktop would have.
    Recently I've also noticed that when using the laptop for long periods of time, or leaving it on while going out, it's very very slow when I come back.

Photoshop uses 100% of the CPU for a LONG time when resizing a 640x480 image, even uses 100% of the CPU when firing up the actual dialog box asking for the new size, and this firing up of the dialog box takes about 2-3 seconds.

A reboot fixes this, but it's a bit annoying. Feels almost like when it runs on battery.
    This machine doesn't use any type of speedstep technology; if you had a Centrino I'd suggest that your speedstep was going awry. In fact I don't believe there's any processor throttling going on at all. I know it sounds silly but perhaps try Photoshop's support to see if updates are available. As i mentioned earlier, the hardware here is basically an Intel 915P desktop board. Being such an industry standard board, I'd be surprised if something like Photoshop had such an unresolved issue with it. Worth also seeing if any of your task tray apps has a bug/memory leak. I once found that an antivirus program was slowly grabbing all my system memory and eventually crashing my machine! I thought my memory was faulty so replaced it twice with testing stuff from my old work but to no avail
    ps. anyone got the volume control buttons (on the front) working IN windows?
    I don't think that these are supported by Windows, we hope to get this fixed in future models, it would be sensible to have it working the way you describe.

Kind regards,
    Alasdair

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasdair @ MV
    I'm sorry to hear that you're not happy with the sound output. Personally, I find the Ixius to give good sound for a notebook. In fact I might go so far as to say it's the best notebook I've heard
    hm, i've emailed with mobile support, but they haven't been able to come up with a solution or any ideas of why this might be happening

could it be that i've received a faulty one?

as stated before, the actual speakers in the laptop is probably among the best i've heard, but not the sound output (for headphones/stereo/etc)

you have to remember that this baby has an Intel 915P desktop chipset squeezed down into a portable chassis. so it has almost the same amount of heat energy to dispose of as your desktop would have.
    yeah, don't have a problem with the heat, just thought i'd mention it

This machine doesn't use any type of speedstep technology; if you had a Centrino I'd suggest that your speedstep was going awry. In fact I don't believe there's any processor throttling going on at all. I know it sounds silly but perhaps try Photoshop's support to see if updates are available. As i mentioned earlier, the hardware here is basically an Intel 915P desktop board. Being such an industry standard board, I'd be surprised if something like Photoshop had such an unresolved issue with it. Worth also seeing if any of your task tray apps has a bug/memory leak. I once found that an antivirus program was slowly grabbing all my system memory and eventually crashing my machine! I thought my memory was faulty so replaced it twice with testing stuff from my old work but to no avail
    hm, so when the laptop is running on battery, the speed should be the same as when power is connected?

that is DEFINITELY NOT the case
    when running on battery it's slower than a p2-400 with a trident 2mb card, or something along those lines

and it's not just when using photoshop, but it becomes more obvious, since photoshop uses more cpu than for example total commander

and don't have anything running that would take up memory nor cpu
    and the task manager doesn't show anything odd (and yep, have scanned for both viruses and ad/spyware)

I don't think that these are supported by Windows, we hope to get this fixed in future models, it would be sensible to have it working the way you describe.
    cool
    at least i know i can't get them working

or are they connected in such a way that i could code up something that will take advantage of them? or does the motherboard not have a connection to these buttons in any way?

thanks again

/ d

Thanks
    i hate my laptops volume is windows controlled
    buttons should work outside of windows directly to a small pcb which works the volume of the speakers as windows buttons when pressed wont work all the time if your cpu is as full load
    or when you have hibernated the pc with loud music playing when u power up again u get the music blaring untill u type your password

MV R&D
    Thanks
    or are they connected in such a way that i could code up something that will take advantage of them? or does the motherboard not have a connection to these buttons in any way?

thanks again

/ d
    I doubt that the buttons directly talk to the motherboard at all. when i am next in touch with our supplier I will enquire about this for you just incase.

if you want to save power and play your music, why not put the tracks on CD/DVD as MP3s and play them using the controls on the front with the notebook itself shut down? then the front buttons work and the machine won't make any noise.

Thanks
    if you want to save power and play your music, why not put the tracks on CD/DVD as MP3s and play them using the controls on the front with the notebook itself shut down? then the front buttons work and the machine won't make any noise.
    it's more for when watching movies, instead of having to minimise the movie and bring up the volume control it would be nice to be able to just press the buttons on the front

the same goes for music, but not as big a problem

btw, got any answers to my problems with cpu speed and audio quality?

Thanks

My experiences with the Ixius, MV and Mobile Support

Quote Originally Posted by Kitch
    Hi,

I am dissappointed to hear you've had a this experience with us. We are customer service focused and all of MV's machines are checked very thoroughly before they are dispatched.

I will speak to mobile support myself tomorrow and get this moving as quickly as possible. In this instance I am aware of the problem with your machine (I can assure you it is completed isolated) and will be in contact via email tomorrow (22nd Feb) to ensure you get a satisfactory solution to this as quickly as possible.

Kind regards,

Jon Kitchen
    MV
    I thought you might be interested in my experiences with the Ixius, MV and Mobile Support. I placed an order for the Ixius (£2070 inc. delivery) on the 12th February and received my machine on the 21st February. On the evening of the 24th February the screen started flickering as I typed. This continued to get worse throughout the evening until the screen froze. I tried to reboot but Windows wouldn't start. While this is unfortunate I understand that occasionally you will get faulty components and just presumed that I had been unlucky. I contacted Mobile Support (I find it really frustrating having to deal with a third party when I purchased the laptop off MV) and they told me I could have a replacement but I would have to wait at least 4 weeks (if I placed a new order would I have to wait 4 weeks - I don't think so) but they would repair my machine in 5 working days (I was told it would probably be a faulty screen cable). Fair enough I thought so I arranged for the courier to pick my machine up on the 28th February expecting to have it back by the weekend or by the beginning of the next week at the latest.

It is now the 13th March and I don't have my machine back. I have spent hours on the phone to Mobile Support over the last two weeks - most of this time has been spent waiting for them to answer the phone. Each time I spoke to a guy called Satpal (is there only one person answering the phones?) who managed to give me a different story depending on the day of the week. He told me that the screen cable had broke, the video card had broke, the operating system needed reinstalling, the laptop would be ready by Friday, Thursday, Monday or any other random day. On Friday I spoke to Satpal's colleague Sanj who said he had arranged for an engineer to come in at the weekend to work on my laptop (which he had bumped up the queue) - in other words, it hadn't even been looked at - and Satpal (whether wittingly or not) had been lying to me the whole time.

I have basically had enough of the whole debacle and asked for a refund - only to be told that I would have to wait for a courier to come and pick up the case, power supply etc. and only then would Mobile Support process the refund which would take about 10 working days. I also pointed out that I had paid £20 interest on a loan for the laptop and that I should be entitled to this money back - but I was told by Sanj that they would normally charge £20 for carriage when dealing with refunds so he would waive this fee. The guy actually thought he was doing me a favour.

I have been nothing but reasonable and polite with all my dealings with both MV and Mobile Support only to be treated like a fool. I have spent hours chasing this up and have not been contacted once by anyone - even though Satpal, Sanj and the MV sales guy have all promised on more than one occasion.

In the end I will lose out financially and will still not have a laptop. The only laptops I have seen with this sort of spec are the Ixius and the Rock XTI but looking back at my bank statement the company that charged me was the Rock Group so I'm presuming they are the same company.

I have sent a mail detailing my experiences to MV, Mobile Support and PC Pro (it was their recommendation that led me to my purchase).

If this matter is resolved fairly, timely and amicably then I will be more than happy to report this in a future post.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information