• Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    Quote Originally Posted by MacQuest
    Back on topic now though. Conroe really does spank AMD's "botty"... I mean, "booty". [can someone please fix this?]
    Botty = Bottom = Buttocks

Booty = Bootom?

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Na, booty as in "shake that booty" = bottom..

Unless you're a pirate, then it's yer il gotten gains.. me hearty!

btw, we might want to restrict the OS X vs Windows stuff in this thread and concentrate more on the thread topic, although feel free to start a new thread if you want to go into more detail about the OS X vs Windows stuff
    Last edited by Stoo; 26-05-2006 at 10:12 AM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunk
    Botty = Bottom = Buttocks

Booty = Bootom?

It's a North American slang term for butt. It's booty and /or booti [as in booti call]. But there's never 2 "t's" and 1 "o". Although your example does make sense, it's not the case since this is slang. You need the elongated "oo" sound to say it properly, and don't need 2 t's.

I'm just pointing it out because a lot of people are laughing at it online, even calling it "unnerving" and wondering if it's somekind of new internet misspelling.

I'll try to find the link to a major article that I read yesterday where the writer points this out as well. He's the one that, in his article which references this one on Hexus, says something to the effect that "seriously, this is really getting on my nerves".

I almost choked on some crackers and cheese that I was eating when I read that because I was thinking the same exact thing just the night before when I was reading this article on Hexus and was thinking that it was just a typo that hadn't been caught yet.

BACK ON TOPIC!!!

CONROE KICKS AMD'S ... BOTTY!!!
    Last edited by MacQuest; 26-05-2006 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    It's booty. I'm just pointing it out because a lot of people are laughing at it online, even calling it "unnerving" and wondering if it's somekind of new internet misspelling.

I'll try to find the link to a major article that I read yesterday where the writer points this out as well. He's the one that, in his article which references this one on Hexus, says something to the effect that "seriously, this is really getting on my nerves".

I almost choked on some crackers and cheese that I was eating when I read that because I was thinking the same exact thing just the night before when I was reading this article on Hexus and was thinking that it was just a typo that hadn't been caught yet.

I think all the British people reading this article published on a British website understand the British colloquialism written in the post.

edit: p.s. I am sufficiently culturally aware to recognise that the collected peoples of North America use the word 'booty' to mean buttocks, but I'm unimpressed that 'a lot' of people are uninformed enough to find the equivalent (but TBH infrequently used) British term hilarious or unnerving enough to remark upon...

You know, he could have said 'bum' (which is far more commonly used) and then you'd be confused about why AMD own a homeless person and what Intel was doing kicking him...
    Last edited by schmunk; 26-05-2006 at 11:03 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunk
    I think all the British people reading this article published on a British website understand the British colloquialism written in the post.

edit: p.s. I am sufficiently culturally aware to recognise that the collected peoples of North America use the word 'booty' to mean buttocks, but I'm unimpressed that 'a lot' of people are uninformed enough to find the equivalent (but TBH infrequently used) British term hilarious or unnerving enough to remark upon...

You know, he could have said 'bum' (which is far more commonly used) and then you'd be confused about why AMD own a homeless person and what Intel was doing kicking him...
    Seriously?!

Do you guys pronounce it that way too? I'm just asking.

With all the british artists I've heard say booty/booti, I have never heard it pronounced botty.

Is it just spelled that way over there [UK] but still pronounced properly, the way it's spelled over here [US] with the elongated o's?

I really would like to know.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    It's a North American slang term for butt...
    And botty is British slang for bottom. As in "You'll get a smacked botty in a minute if you don't stop this cultural imperialism b*ll*cks!". As for the "lot of people laughing at it online", well, we don't take it personally. After all, if we want a shining example of the elegant wielding of the rapier of the language of Shakespeare, Keats, Shelley, Milton, Marlowe, Orwell et al., we need look no further than some of the more outlandish pronuncifications (sic) of your president...

OK, that was a low blow - it's not nice to mock the afflicted .

edit: The correct pronunciation is a short "o" as in "rock" or "lock".
    Last edited by nichomach; 26-05-2006 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    MacQuest,

Botty - pronouced Bot-T - is a very genteel way of saying it. It's how a parent would describe it to small children when training them in toilet functions.

"Now, don't forget to wipe your botty properly" - for instance.

Bob

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    like "dotty", but with a b!

t4d
    Thanks
    In response to MacQuest's first post above (as compared to the long winded waffle below it, lol)

You love Mac's and hate Microsoft, that's your choice, and I presume therefore that you are also an Intel fanboy compared to one of AMD's followers?

You hate Microsoft because they hold a monopoly, because Microsoft holds a position in the market that no one else truly fought for until Linux came along. The same hold's true of Intel and AMD. Intel have the majority of the market share, so they are therefore the monopoly. The same goes with Nvidia and ATI and numerous other non-computer related companies, yet we don't hear you talking them down.

Have you forgotten that it was IBM and Amstrad that brought PC's to the mainstream and that it was Microsoft and Microsoft alone that brought us ONE unified workspace where others had failed. There were early contenders like GEM and Framework that fell short. MAC's are good at what they do, but that does not make them the best suited computing appliance for everyone.

Macquest, you also seem blinded to the fact that EVERYTHING in Windows came from a Mac first. This is quite simply not the case. The same also applies with Intel and AMD. They both currently use RISC based chip variations, which the earliest use I can think of, was initially used by Acorn back in the 80's for their Archimedes, which was a beauty of a machine that could also run PC stuff.

Intel's initial processor design would have no doubt been based on the original IBM 8086 chips as much as their current 64 bit architecture is based upon AMD's work, but I guess Intel's monopoly is okay as it was okay when they introduced their P100 and P120 processor's within a short space of time so that they could profit from their monopolistic market position.

AMD give Intel competition the same way as Apple and Linus give some healthy competition to Microsoft. It's a good thing and both have brought us to where we are today with the benefits they each bring to us. There is a tug of war going on with all the major PC technology players and at the end of the day, that is good for consumers.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nichomach
    And botty is British slang for bottom. As in "You'll get a smacked botty in a minute if you don't stop this cultural imperialism b*ll*cks!". As for the "lot of people laughing at it online", well, we don't take it personally. After all, if we want a shining example of the elegant wielding of the rapier of the language of Shakespeare, Keats, Shelley, Milton, Marlowe, Orwell et al., we need look no further than some of the more outlandish pronuncifications (sic) of your president...

OK, that was a low blow - it's not nice to mock the afflicted .

edit: The correct pronunciation is a short "o" as in "rock" or "lock".
    Heh.

Bush is a moron and a shining example of why religion and politics don't mix. We're doing our best to get him impeached, as more and more members of his mis-administration get indicted over various issues. If we can't pluck him from the top, we'll just have to crumble the weak foundation below him.

I just saw his lap dog, Tony Blair, on TV because he's over here right now apparently trying to justify the war in Iraq again. Ever watch that movie, "Dumb And Dumber"? I just did on the news channel.

CONROE TO BE RELEASED ON JULY 23RD!!!
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2531

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Crabtree
    MacQuest,

Botty - pronouced Bot-T - is a very genteel way of saying it. It's how a parent would describe it to small children when training them in toilet functions.

"Now, don't forget to wipe your botty properly" - for instance.

Bob
    Thank you, now I know. If I find the article that was also assuming that it was just a typo that hadn't been noticed yet, then I'll be sure to relay the message on their forums [if they have any] as well.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex
    like "dotty", but with a b!
    Thank you for the insight as well.

I'll make sure to pass this info along.

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Cheers, MacQ; best of luck with the impeachment thing...

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    *cough*

Please split off the Windows/Mac, pronunciation, and political articles to new threads if you don't mind, so this thread doesn't go off on a complete tangent, never to return
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • The Codfather's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Striker II Formula
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo e8400@3.6GHz 1.136v (1.2v Bios)
      • Memory:
      • 4GB 2x2GB G.Skill DDR2 PC2-8000 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x500GB Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2x XFX 8800GT SLI
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX260W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li A71B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2007WFP
    CONROE TO BE RELEASED ON JULY 23RD!!!
    http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=2531
    Why would they release a chip on a Sunday?

Still, nice of them to announce an official date, now we've just got to wait for some official UK prices.

Registered+
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=t4d]In response to MacQuest's first post above (as compared to the long winded waffle below it, lol)

Mmmm... waffles. http://www.kelloggs.com/brand/eggo/home/

What do you call them over there? Something exotic like... waffles?

Quote Originally Posted by t4d
    You love Mac's and hate Microsoft, that's your choice,
    I like Apple because they are an innovative company, and despise microsoft because they are an un-innovative company that tries to portray itself as one.

"They're" major innovations [with the exception of Office] were in large part invented by other, smaller companies that they bullied out of the market by be-friending them, bankrolling them, and then cutting them off financially once enough of that companies innovation had been learned and/or applied by microsoft so that they could then take that innovation and run with it themselves, leaving the smaller innovative company to die a sure death through bankruptcy.

They did it to Apple. They did it to IBM. They did it to countless other unknowns.

Paybacks a bitch.

and I presume therefore that you are also an Intel fanboy compared to one of AMD's followers?
    You would be wrong in that presumption. When it comes to processors, I'm a fan of the most innovative company. Today's AMD is 2004's Intel. They're gonna have to learn the hard way the same way that Intel had to a couple of years back.

They got a big helping hand from IBM back in January of '04 when IBM gave them use of their brand new $2 billion fabrication facilities in East Fishkill, New York. That gave them the opportunity to yield more product, but they seem to have fallen behind in innovation and engineering.

I have no doubt that AMD will bounce back, and I hope Intel stays on track as well. I've already stated that we need AMD to keep the fire lit under Intel's... botty... and vice versa, so that we, the end user, get the best products.

You hate Microsoft because they hold a monopoly, because Microsoft holds a position in the market that no one else truly fought for until Linux came along.
    Okay, just to clarify, the REAL fight that is going on here beyond the obvious Apple vs. microsoft and Macintosh vs. windows, is STEVE JOBS vs. bill gates.

As much of an Apple "fanboy" that you and others may think I am, Apple irritated the crap out of me for years until SJ's return as interim CEO in '97. So while Linux began it's rise in the early 90's, Apple wouldn't start making it's necessary moves until '98, with the introduction of the original iMac, but more importantly in '01 with the introduction of Mac OS X.

For the past 5 years since Mac OS X's introduction, Apple has since branched out and gotten a strong foothold in another market [digital music services AND devices] which is only the first of several other markets that you'll be seeing Apple go into with software AND hardware solutions.

Do you get the big picture yet? While Napster, Yahoo, Virgin, etc. each have focused on, tried and failed miserably to take down the SOFTWARE HALF of the iTunes + iPod equation, and the original mp3 player manufacturer Rio [now out of business], Creative, Sony, etc. each have focused on, tried and failed miserably to take down the HARDWARE HALF of the iPod + iTunes equation, they haven't figured out that they are only addressing HALF the issue.

Macs are better computers because the OS compliments the hardware, just like iPods are better digital music players because iTunes software compliments that hardware.

Quality Control = Reliability = Productivity = Loyalty.
    Apple gets it. All the people switching from PC's to Mac get it. Do you get it?

Addressing HALF the solution gives you HALF a$$ed results. Hence the problems with windows computers:
    Lack of Quality Control [generic OS + random hardware] = Unreliabilty = Loss of Productivity = User looks for better option = SWITCHER.

Never was I more irritated with Apple than during that year, when former CEO of National Semiconductor Gil Amelio was now Apple's CEO and all of a sudden Apple's Macintosh line started to head down the windows pc's lack of quality control route, because he allowed a handful of companies other than Apple [Motorola, Umax, Power Computing, etc.] to start making Mac clones.

As I said before, a superior level of quality control and seamless integration between an OS and it's hardware is the most important part of the "Mac Experience".

I know that. Veteran Mac users know that. Steve Jobs knows that. That's why those company's clone licenses were voided as soon as Steve Jobs came back onboard.

The same hold's true of Intel and AMD. Intel have the majority of the market share, so they are therefore the monopoly.
    There is a HUGE difference between a DOMINANT company like Intel, who rightfully holds it's title [although they could have almost lost it if they wouldn't have gotten off there botty] because it LEGALLY earned it's way to that DOMINANT position, and an ILLEGAL CRIMINAL MONOPOLY like microsoft [3 convictions by 3 countries in 5 years proves it... more on the way] who forces it's products on end users and even cripples it's own products if an end user tries to use a competetive alternative.

Did you ever try to uninstall IE on a win '95/'98 system in favor of Netscape Navigator? Lot's of people did. Lot's of people ended up having to re-install windows because of it. Hence, the 2001 antitrust conviction here in the US, followed by 2004's EU conviction and last years conviction by South Korea.

The same goes with Nvidia and ATI and numerous other non-computer related companies, yet we don't hear you talking them down.
    How are those illegal business practice lawsuits against Intel, Nvidia, and ATI coming along anyway? Oh wait, there aren't anyway.

You really may want to learn the meaning of "monopoly": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly

In microsoft's case, you may want to also learn the meaning of "antitrust": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antitrust

Have you forgotten that it was IBM and Amstrad that brought PC's to the mainstream

If it weren't for Steve Job's vision to put computers in the hands of the common public, IBM would have kept them only available for the guys in white lab coats.

Have you forgotten why it is that Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak founded Apple Computer on April 1st, 1976 [April Fools/All Fools Day]? It was a symbolic gesture directly to IBM who did not have any interest in providing computers to anyone other than their corporate customers; a] because they did not see the purpose of computers in a home environmentm and b] home users wouldn't have the kind of money that corporations had to justify a slimmer profit margin that would be the result of providing computers to those home users.

IBM was forced into the home computer market because of Apple. Get your facts straight either by researching, or if you want a fairly accurate [according to Steve Wozniak himself] filmed account of the occurences which we are discussing here, as well as the relationships between Steve Jobs and bill gates, Apple and microsoft, Apple and Xerox, microsoft and IBM, etc., then rent or buy "The Pirates of Silicon Valley".

I'll address the rest of your post tomorrow, as I once again find myself awake past 5am with only a few hours left to sleep before i have to go to work.

Last edited by MacQuest; 26-05-2006 at 01:36 PM.

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information