Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: HEXUS.reviews :: WORLD EXCLUSIVE! INTEL CONROE BENCHMARKED

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoo
    *cough*

Please split off the Windows/Mac, pronunciation, and political articles to new threads if you don't mind, so this thread doesn't go off on a complete tangent, never to return
    Oh, okay. Sorry about that.

I'll see if there are any other threads on these forums that address this issue and add to them.

If not, I'll start one and then...

LET THE FECES FLING-FEST BEGIN!!!
    Last edited by MacQuest; 26-05-2006 at 01:29 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Codfather
    Why would they release a chip on a Sunday?

Still, nice of them to announce an official date, now we've just got to wait for some official UK prices.
    That is odd. Maybe there's an expo or something that they're gonna be at to make the introduction.

Who knows? Who cares?!!!

CONROE IN LESS THAN 2 MONTHS!!!

Thanks
    Mate in all fairness you posts are long, ranting and at points quite misled. Also please refrain from double posting as I keep getting excited that someone else has replied other than you
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Large Member
    Thanks
    And everyone pinched from Xerox Parc blah blah which in turn pinched from babbage blah which in turn pinched from The Abacus. Civil cases don't make you a criminal. I guess COM, DCOM, .NET and all the rest of it were extremely un-innovative of Microsoft.

I would agree that Apple were of course the first to bring computers into peoples homes successfully. Why did these people want these computers? No one knows, these simple home machines were the mindless gadgets of their day. It was not Apple who introdcued the concept however, or even introduced the first examples of such machines.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    And Sony and Nintendo with their innovative new motion sensing controllers...?

Microsoft Sidewinder Freestyle Pro, anyone?

Registered+
    Thanks
    hey acrobat , umm ddr2 memeory is faster because it can transfer alot moer bandwith , i games it is like same performance as drr or maybe 1 fps slower becuse of latencys of 5 5 5 12

but tthat ram is cheap and if u buy corsair ram at those latencys u can bring them down to 4 4 4 12 without uping the voltage , but if u wnana spend abit more money u can buy a new corsair 1 gig kit , with 3 4 3 9 , which is insanely fast consider at 4 4 4 ddr2 800 ull be about 1 fps faster then ddr 400 , but at 3 4 3 9 ull b probly about 2 or 3 fps , which is a huge amount for ram cuse ram dosen't effect ur fps much only by like 1 or 2 fps at the most

the only thing that really effects u is the amount , with the way games r geting ur best off going for the 2 gig corsair 5 5 5 12 , down the latencys to 4 4 4 12 and that is good ram ,

now for ur cyrsis question , that game is more gfx intensive that processor intesive , and its also directx 10 but will run on dx9 as well , the conroe 6600 at 319 dollars is probly the better buy if ur wantin to save money cuse that processor beats a fx62 in all the things the 6700 one dose just not by as much of a margin soo save the money and spend hte extra on some gfx

like wait for a dx10 card or if u wnana buy a gfx card soon get a 7900 GT or a 7900 GTX or a x1900 XTX just depends on wat u wana spend , they r bringing out a 2.93 XE processor on july but there is no fsb change soo i aint gnana waste the extra 400 dollars when i can just over clock it to that on air cooling and im geting water cooling soo lol...

cuse as we all no intel processors overclock extremly well i just seen a conroe running at 4.53 ghz doing super pi at 10 seconds soo thats how good they overclock , and thats from 2.6 neways if yous wanna wait for a very nice extreme edition version u cud wait itll end of q3 and buy the 3.33 ghz 1333 fsb but i aint waitin that long im just gnana get my 6700 and overclock it to about 3.2

[Bob Crabtree adds - it's possible that people might want to read this posting but, I personally found it impossible to do. So, I've added in some paragraphs to help improve the readability but - most respectfully - would ask that keta and others try to discover the whereabouts on their keyboards of the Shift keys - so that capital letters can be used when and where appropriate, since that massively helps with readability, too.]
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 26-05-2006 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s
    Aaaargh, what the hell is that ^

Registered+
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by schmunk
    Aaaargh, what the hell is that ^

t4d
    Thanks
    My apologies in advance to the rest of the readers on this thread for the sidetrack, but I thought it only fair to respond to the posts here.

Quote Originally Posted by MacQuest
    I like Apple because they are an innovative company, and despise microsoft because they are an un-innovative company that tries to portray itself as one.
    ...and I never said Apple wasn't innovative, but just becuase you don't agree with a company's ethics/methods, doesn't necessarily make them bad. It's a dog eat dog world out there and for Microsoft it's business as usual.

You seem to completely overlook the benefits that Microsoft have brought to all the millions of home and business users that have benefitted from Microsoft's Products.

"They're" major innovations [with the exception of Office] were in large part invented by other, smaller companies that they bullied out of the market by be-friending them, bankrolling them, and then cutting them off financially once enough of that companies innovation had been learned and/or applied by microsoft so that they could then take that innovation and run with it themselves, leaving the smaller innovative company to die a sure death through bankruptcy.
    The only difference between the methods you highlight above and any other takeover is very little, companies still get absorbed, people still lose jobs and big companies take over the smaller ones, Dell + Alienware & Seagate + Maxtor to name a couple of recent ones.

I can't fault you for being a fan of innovation, but you really shouldn't look down on other companies that use other people's ideas. Afterall, EVERY company does it at some point, even a company like Apple.

Okay, just to clarify, the REAL fight that is going on here beyond the obvious Apple vs. microsoft and Macintosh vs. windows, is STEVE JOBS vs. bill gates.
    You make it sound like a personal vendetta between the two. I don't doubt that they have their differences, but they also both have their own ideas on how to run a business and how they see the future unfolding for their prospective company.

Macs are better computers because the OS compliments the hardware, just like iPods are better digital music players because iTunes software compliments that hardware.
    I must disagree. Macs are more specific, refined if you like within their hardware selection, whereas PC's always have been and always will be more adaptable. This has nothing to do with a generic OS or apparent Random Hardware, it's about flexibility. Or would you have everyone running the same hardware and software for a more stable platform? Now that would be a monopoly and would certainly kill off innovation, let alone competition. Quite simply PC's offer people a greater degree of choice than ANY other platform out there at this time. Linux grows closer each year, but still has a long way to go.

All the people switching from PC's to Mac get it. Do you get it?
    As for ALL those people rushing out to buy a Mac, I don't know of anyone even considering buying a Mac.

Did you ever try to uninstall IE on a win '95/'98 system in favor of Netscape Navigator?
    lol, now that is funny! Replacing IE with a browser that at the time came with spyware! Thanks, but no thanks!

How are those illegal business practice lawsuits against Intel, Nvidia, and ATI coming along anyway? Oh wait, there aren't anyway.
    There aren't any you say? So quickly you seem to forget AMD's current lawsuit against Intel for anti-competitive behaviour to say the least, is that not the kind of practise you would expect to see of a monopoly?

If it weren't for Steve Job's vision to put computers in the hands of the common public, IBM would have kept them only available for the guys in white lab coats.
    ...and the B in IBM stands for what? Business! IBM, like most successful companies, there is more money in selling to businesses than the home user. IBM did it, Microsoft did it, Dell has done it, even your beloved Apple has done it.

IBM was forced into the home computer market because of Apple.
    Actually, if you truly knew your 'history' and 'facts' as well as you claim to, then you would have known that IBM suffered a fate worse than Microsoft is at the moment. IBM were seen as a monopoly and had their company crippled because of various lawsuits against them. The PC market place was opened up and it was in fact Amstrad that brought the PC to the home user.

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    This thread has gone waaaaay off topic and still my earlier questions didnt get answered, but oh well!

t4d
    Thanks
    Now would that be this one?

Quote Originally Posted by htid
    Im definitely going Conroe when they come out, but i did read somewhere (can't remember where) that when they first come out there may be some bugs and compatibility issues, so it would be better to wait a while after they came out until they are more stable. Is there any truth in that, because i dont want to be buying Conroe as soon as it comes out only for it not to work correctly...
    It is usually considered good practise to wait for the "enthusiast's" with their expendable income's to find all the early bugs/features for the rest of us so yes, I personally would recommend waiting a while to give reviewers a chance to give us a better picture and for mobo manufacturers time to fine tune the Bios and all the other drivers, software updates to be updated, lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    HEXUS.reviews :: WORLD EXCLUSIVE! Intel's Conroe spanks AMD FX-62's botty - for real

nuff said? oh, you actually want to know the numbers?... well after doing so, presumably you want to let us know your thoughts here in the HEXUS.community
    Benchnmark/System Intel Conroe E6700 system Intel Conroe E6600 system HEXUS FX-62 AM2 system HEXUS FX-60 S939 system HEXUS Intel Presler 965 system
    ScienceMark 2.0 memory bandwidth (MB/s) 5048.13 5058.14 8144.90 5721.22 5678.11

Just one thought. With the 1/3x more bandwidth. Would this come into play when AMD gets into the 65nm - 45nm technology?

Years past AMD has always been 1 step behind. Since they started development later than Intel "ie.DDR-DDR2". When they reach the same point in development, though. They amply improve upon the process that beats Intel.
    Courtesy of Intel 65nm web page:
    Our leading-edge transistor technologies include:

Second generation strained silicon with 10-15 percent improved drive current for improved performance

1.2nm gate oxide and 35nm gates for improved performance

NiSi for low resistance cap on gates and source-drains

Lower interconnect capacitance through low-k carbon doped oxide dielectric and 0.7x line length scaling providing increased performance and lower power

Any Thoughts?
    Last edited by Oxbow; 27-05-2006 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by t4d

Intel's initial processor design would have no doubt been based on the original IBM 8086 chips as much as their current 64 bit architecture is based upon AMD's work, but I guess Intel's monopoly is okay as it was okay when they introduced their P100 and P120 processor's within a short space of time so that they could profit from their monopolistic market position.

Some correction: 8086 has never been owned by IBM, it was Intel 8086 from very beginning, althought IBM used it (and other components) to construct so-called IBM PC

Thanks
    • htid's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B
      • CPU:
      • C2D E6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2gb Corsair XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 180gb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7900GTX
      • PSU:
      • 500W Seasonic S12
      • Case:
      • Akasa Mirage
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Dell
    thankyou t4d

Registered+
    Thanks
    no 65 nm will allow them to get higher clocks and lower power consumption , nothing else , soo ull have like a fx62 at 3 ghz with 120 power consumption instead of 125 watt at 2.8 ghz

thats all 65 nm will do , and 45 nm is agess away

intel is doing 45 nm jan 2008 , and amd will do it 6 months later ,

but yea amd moving to 65 nm wont give them really anymore performance it will just make them moer overclockable with air and water cooling cuse of less heat and watts

and it will allow them to finaly hit 3 ghz with there fx64 neways hope that clears it up for u.
    Last edited by Bob Crabtree; 28-05-2006 at 12:19 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    That is odd. Maybe there's an expo or something that they're gonna be at to make the introduction.

Who knows? Who cares?!!!

CONROE IN LESS THAN 2 MONTHS!!!
    Maybe it is a mis-direction ploy, perhaps they want the competition to believe it is two months out when it really is only a month out. A "surprise" pull-in with announcing "yields are much better than expected", reminds me of setting a stage like the Macworld announcement "We're slightly ahead of schedule".

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information