Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reactivating Vista after Mobo Change

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SHare View Post
    I'm of the belief that the fact the OEM exists and costs so much is outrageous. Who else could get away with selling software which can only be used once in effect. Reinstalls are now possible, the early reports were that they wouldnt be and MS had to backtrack.
    The very fact that you can use OEM at all should be seen as a perk. A cheap option. It's designed for System Builders...

Every single time MS release a new OS we have this very discussion...

If you don't like the OEM license, get Retail. It's obviously what suits most in this thread.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    Because a price increase of even £10 means that over 100 systems, that's £1,000, and that's just in a very small business
    So how does it make your life difficult, are you a business owner or an employee working as IT support.

Stop making such a fuss, get over it...

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    Don't use it if it costs so much, your old OS was perfectly fine.

Nox

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    How can a price rise not make things more difficult?? lol

Microsoft hit the nail on the head with a recent article, they were going on about piracy & getting people hooked on their products and making them want to buy them. Worked for me, though Vista I want, but cannot justify...

Nox

Ask me stuff
    Thanks
    • DecomposingStar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium Wifi
      • CPU:
      • E6400 C2D Intel @ OC'd to 2.91ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x 1GB OCZ Platinum Edition (800mhz - 4/4/12) (32bit Vista runs it at 3.3gb)
      • Storage:
      • 1 Maxtor DiamondMax 80gb HDD, 1x Western Caviar 250gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 2900XT HIS Oc'd 810/899
      • PSU:
      • 670W HiperPower
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 - Customised.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns.G 19" HW191D
      • Internet:
      • 2mb NTL/Virgin
    I still can't see how this is a problem. If MS thought this was such a massive problem, they would tighten up alot more on this, but from what i've heard its a case of call-->read out numbers-->get numbers back-->done.

Clearly gav isn't going to give me any information on what i want to know, for his fair opinion on the matter, and his beleifs about it. Therefore, does anyone else have any info.

By the way; if a moderator deems this topic to be piracy related, you can go ahead and delete, they weren't the intentions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by behappier View Post
    So how does it make your life difficult, are you a business owner or an employee working as IT support.

Stop making such a fuss, get over it...
    It has the potential to make my life difficult because if my boss decides that they want Vista, then it's my job to license it...?

Anyway, stop picking out bits of my comments that suit you. I cannot believe I'm being lambasted because I don't agree with the OP's intention of pirating some software.

Do you guys just not like the MS license system? There is Linux you know? That's pretty good value...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DecomposingStar View Post
    Clearly gav isn't going to give me any information on what i want to know, for his fair opinion on the matter, and his beleifs about it. Therefore, does anyone else have any info.
    As I've already said (and you apparently ignored), I don't know. I've not had Vista long enough to warrant changing a motherboard, let alone reactivate a license (which is Retail in my case, as that's the license that suited me).

Thanks
    The very fact that you can use OEM at all should be seen as a perk. A cheap option. It's designed for System Builders...
    Apart from its not exactly cheap. If it was £30-50 for OEM, I could almost justify its existence, but its not, not even close. There are few that can afford to pay the exorbitant costs of Microsofts operating systems, its doesnt justify piracy, but its certainly a huge factor of their problem.

Also, the disparity in pricing is unreal, its about $150 for home premium, its also about £150, almost double to account for the currency you pay by

UK
    USA

Nox
    Vorsprung durch Technik
    Thanks
    • Nox's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Yes
      • CPU:
      • Yes
      • Memory:
      • Yes
      • Storage:
      • Yes
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Yes
      • PSU:
      • Yes
      • Case:
      • Yes
      • Monitor(s):
      • Yes
      • Internet:
      • Yes
    That narks me, the cost of the retail license in USA vs UK, well europe as I understand.

Nox

Ask me stuff
    Thanks
    • DecomposingStar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Premium Wifi
      • CPU:
      • E6400 C2D Intel @ OC'd to 2.91ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4x 1GB OCZ Platinum Edition (800mhz - 4/4/12) (32bit Vista runs it at 3.3gb)
      • Storage:
      • 1 Maxtor DiamondMax 80gb HDD, 1x Western Caviar 250gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 2900XT HIS Oc'd 810/899
      • PSU:
      • 670W HiperPower
      • Case:
      • Antec 900 - Customised.
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns.G 19" HW191D
      • Internet:
      • 2mb NTL/Virgin
    As I've already said (and you apparently ignored), I don't know. I've not had Vista long enough to warrant changing a motherboard, let alone reactivate a license (which is Retail in my case, as that's the license that suited me).
    And back to what i said earlier, why did you post then?

Quote Originally Posted by SHare View Post
    Apart from its not exactly cheap. If it was £30-50 for OEM, I could almost justify its existence, but its not, not even close. There are few that can afford to pay the exorbitant costs of Microsofts operating systems, its doesnt justify piracy, but its certainly a huge factor of their problem.

Also, the disparity in pricing is unreal, its about $150 for home premium, its also about £150, almost double to account for the currency you pay by

UK
    USA
    Yeah the exchange on US and UK is ridiculous...

Thanks
    Given just how indepth a modern OS is, I think it's exceptional value for money :O

If you take Linux out of the equation (as open source really doesn't have the same intentions), and compare it to equivalent products, then Windows OEM is a great option. OS X is relatively cheap, but in that instance the markup is on the hardware.

Won't argue with the price differences over the pond, but then, it's the same with most goods, software especially. Nothing to do with MS (not suggesting they couldn't actually do anything about it mind...)

Quote Originally Posted by DecomposingStar View Post
    And back to what i said earlier, why did you post then?
    Because it goes against forum policy, I'm bored of people complaining about the restrictions of the OEM license and wanted to give an opposing opinion to the seemingly over-riding view that 'MS SUCK AND I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO WHAT I WANT WHEN I BOUGHT A DVD!'.
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 16-03-2007 at 12:49 AM.

Vampire
    Thanks
    It has the potential to make my life difficult because if my boss decides that they want Vista, then it's my job to license it...?
    So how does it make any harder to "license it" as you put it ? You just have to pay a little more.

Like any business you will pass on your expenses to your customer.

And I am not going to go buy disposable OSs for couple of hundred pounds to make some random business' life "easier".

Thanks
    • acrobat's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS4 965p Revision 2
      • CPU:
      • E6600
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 4gig DDR 800 (C4)
      • Storage:
      • two 320gig Seagate Barracudas, and one 750 gig Seagate Barracuda (7200.10) and a 750gig same brand.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 620
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse 62
      • Monitor(s):
      • Apple Cinema Display 20"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media - Slow, expensive rip off, Indian customer service. Great choice eh? :C
    Do you even need to reactivate it? If the motherboard changes, the hard disk should still be the same and Vista should still be installed and working properly.

Unless Vista detects a new motherboard and then stops working, it should still work. Is that something that happens in Vista?

If so, Gav may be right. As balls as it may be, if the license only allows it to be installed onto one "motherboard" then you will need a new license if you change the mobo. I doubt that but I dont know much about Vista yet. Anyway, even if that is true, you should still be able to get a new license. If nobody here can give yoe a phone number to call, you should be able to find one on MS website, or by searching for it in google. Search for Microsoft UK or something, and call them and explain.

They may be more strict with Vista, but I called them recently when I installed WinXP on a new system and the key wasnt working because it was already installed on my old PC. The Microsoft lady on the phone didnt seem to care in the slightest... She didnt even ask me what my key is... where i bought it... how much I paid, or anything at all :O All she did was basically, "Errr hold on one sec. Ok try this key....". She told me a new key and off it went.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinizter View Post
    So how does it make any harder to "license it" as you put it ? You just have to pay a little more.

Like any business you will pass on your expenses to your customer.

And I am not going to go buy disposable OSs for couple of hundred pounds to make some random business' life "easier".

It's not a little more though. The example I gave would cover our printing costs for 1 and a half years... it would be a significant chunk of our budget. And our customer is the kid, so the expense would be your taxes. K?

I really can't understand the problem. You've got a choice. OEM or Retail. OEM you install it on one motherboard, and limit it at that other than for equivalent RMA replacements. Retail you buy if you can see yourself upgrading a system (motherboard) more than twice before you inevitably hop on the next bandwagon.

If you take the cheap option, why should us who did use some forethought and went the proper route sit back and nod along with you?

@acrobat: It's not unknown for a BIOS update, or even a settings change to trigger the reactivation, so if you can do a full motherboard change without it triggering, you've got some luck on your side!
    Last edited by this_is_gav; 16-03-2007 at 12:57 AM.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    the phone numbers aren't widely known, because they appear on the screen during the activation purpose - there is zero point to writing down or memorizing the number

and this_is_gav is absolutely correct - if you don't like the terms under which something is licensed, then don't use the product (that includes using OEM as retail)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by acrobat View Post
    Unless Vista detects a new motherboard and then stops working, it should still work. Is that something that happens in Vista?
    it happens in vista as it happened in XP - major hardware change == reactivation. the reactivation is meant to be a step to put enough fear into pirates so they don't try activating multiple times - lest the software get locked. it's not very good at blocking large-scale license violation as is being recommended in this thread. largely because the ballsy people who do it really couldn't care less about switching to pirate versions at the mildest inconvenience, and the call-center staff couldn't care less anyway

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information