Thread: EVGA motherboard -should I swap it?

Thanks

EVGA motherboard -should I swap it?

To cut a long story short. I ordered a MESH PC with the Asus p5n32sli 680i board in it but got the EVGA 122 dk nf68 ar board instead. It was faulty on arrival but have got it working today.

Now I was sort of happy with this until I discovered there was a problem with these boards and quad core chips running at above 1300Mhz. The EVGA board is now defunct having been replaced by the "A1" version that does not have a problem.

I have a 6600 core2duo in my board at the moment but am aware of the fact that "cheap" quad core chips are just around the corner. Indeed this is the reason I upgraded to a 680 board in the first place.

So is this quad core problem really a problem? Is it only a problem if I do upgrade anyway? Advice please

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    I wouldnt want a defective board in a new system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    • IAmATeaf's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600@3.25
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2GB Corsair 6400C5DHX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 0.5TB 7200.12, 2 x 1.5TB 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460 OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC6089B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung T240 24"
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL Max
    What was the original fault?

Also beware as I've heard stories of warranty problems if the invoice doesn't tally with what you have so I'd get that checked and agreed.

Thanks
    The original fault was that the 8800 GTS power connection didn't sit properly in the socket so although it appeared locked it was not powering the card. The machine would boot with VGA drivers but as soon as the nvidia drivers loaded it had a BSOD.
    In addition they "accidentally" sent a mirai monitor rather than the Illyama monitor I paid for (about £40 more expensive) and sent the kit over a week late. At various times they claimed they had no cpu's, no hard drives, no graphics cards and obviously no monitors or motherboards!
    I'm not sure of the significance of the EVGA board fault some people rate it very highly so obviously I'm keen to know if it really has a problem.

Thanks
    can't you get the whole system replaced since they gave you the wrong order, and a faulty order at that?

Thanks
    I could go for a refund or replacement. They are replacing the monitor but the question really is should I make them replace the motherboard? Is the EVGA problem or is it just a problem for extreme overclockers? Does anyone know?. I now have a system that is working reasonably well and I'm not sure if the fact that I've got the EVGA motherboard will stop me changing to a quad core processor in the future.

I would add that I've bought a pre built system because every piece of my current system would need replacing to produce a half decent system and the MESH system cost the same as the components would have cost from scan!

I think the answer is (thinks out loud) given that i will be replacing the 6600 with a quad core and I have never had a system run at stock speeds in my computing life then it seems sensible to get a motherboard swap-am I being reasonable?

Thanks
    It doesn't matter of its a problem for extreme overclockers only, the point is they sent you the wrong product.

if I were you I'd get the motherboard swapped to what you ordered, and that way can guarantee you that future proofing that you're looking for.

Thread Information