Thread: Finalising Bits, still have a few questions...

Thanks

Question Finalising Bits, still have a few questions...

Hi

I have been confirming all my bits for a new PC, and will be ordering next Friday/Saturday. I still have a few questions for some bits:

1) My PSU CWT 450W supports "Active Fan Control". My Motherboard Abit IC7 - Max3 supports "Hardware monitoring: Including Fan speeds, Voltages, System environment temperature".

Does this mean that the motherboard will control the speed of the fan on the PSU...or the one on the motherboard itself...or one(if i get one) for over the CPU? Will i need to buy any extra cables for this "monitoring"?

-- On a side note for this will i need to buy a fan for the CPU if i am not thinking of overclocking at all? (i have been told that i will probably not need one)

2) I have a silver case Coolermaster Wavemaster , and have found silver Sony CDRW and Floppy Drive. But the DVD/RW i want from Sony is not out yet, and will probably be about £95, where i know you can get a cheaper one with the same specs.

Can anyone reccomend me a good one that will look OK on a silver case. (i am not too fussed on if the silver is different shades as the case has a door over these drives - but completely different colours will probably look crap ) -- although how would black look??

3) I will be using this PC for games and uni work...in that order and so want a good Keyboard / Mouse combo for it.

I dont really want cordless for either keyboard or mouse, and want it to be under £50 for the pair. I dont especially need a proper combo (just similar colours) but i have a silver case (probably under desk) and a beige/ivory Iiyama monitor.

I was looking at this Scan Keyboard but some people here put me off.

Thanks
    Black drives in a silver case will look better than beige or a different shade of silver.

And you will need a heatsink and fan on the CPU.

Thanks
    Thanks,

Just checked and the CPU comes with a fan. I have also found the following from the case manufacturer: Front Bezel

Should cover the other colours OK i hope...

[EDIT]

OK i have now decided to go for Black: CD RW/ DVD RW and Floppy Drives.

I hope to get all from the same make so that the fronts are similar.

Also i dont want to spend more than about £80 for the DVD Writer, can anyone suggest some?? I have been looking at the following:

NEC 2500 - Heard these arent that good with some formats, but the speeds are quite impressive

Sony 8X - Sony make all 3 items i need, but this is a bit expensive and some of the speeds are less than that of the £15 cheaper NEC 2500
    Last edited by matt_hobson; 21-03-2004 at 03:16 PM.

Thanks
    For a mouse, I'd recommend a Microsoft mouse. I would personally go for a simple optical one (3 buttons), but I'm still going strong with my wheely ball mouse.
    "Well, there was your Uncle Tiberius who died wrapped in cabbage leaves but we assumed that was a freak accident."

Thanks
    If you're buying a DVD-RW drive there's no other option worth considering than the NEC-2500, i haven't heard anything about problems with media or formats personally but i'm sure the problems are insignifant when compared to Sony's drives.

Mouse wise i'd definitely go with Logitech, they're easily the best when peripherals are concerned (mouse/keyboard). Dual Optical/MX300/MX500 are 3 of my favourites.

Wats ur tale mothergoose?
    Thanks
    • Korky's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35-Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 160GB WD RE2 RAID0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD 4870x2
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W
      • Case:
      • Cheapo
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista 32bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 18" Hanns.G / 42" Panasonic G20
      • Internet:
      • 10Mbit Cable
    hobson just make sure ur keyboard doesnt have the dreaded "Fn" key or say goodbye to your left pinkie finger when it comes to fps.
    3D Mark 2k1 - 20661

If you get a customer, or an employee, who thinks he's Charles Bronson, take the butt of your gun and smash their nose in.

Thanks
    for dvd writer try the liteon 8speed, down to £65 i think accoriding to another thread i saw, and i love them brilliant and will read any media, even stuff no other drive will.
    i5 | Antec Sonata 3 | 4 GB | OCZ Vertex | Spinpoint F3 | Windows 7

Thread Information