Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got £1000 to spend

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Trippledence
    Looks nice what make is it? I love the lan-li cases. But too expencive for meh.
    I noticed something. A couple years back, I remember the CM to be over £100, with a few over £200. Lian Li offering were generally at £20-30 cheaper, and often seen as the "poor man's CM".

I had a quick look at the new range of CMs (replacing oldies like the 101, 110, 200, 201(a/b/c/Black Widow/etc., 210 etc.), and they are all... comparatively affordable. Looking at Lian Li's end, I see case starting from ~£70, and going all the way up to £210 (close to what the CM 210 used to cost). What a turn of event eh?

Are CM the Lian Li wannabe's now?

Thanks
    • Nick F's system
      • CPU:
      • 2.4Ghz C2D
      • Memory:
      • 4GB
      • Storage:
      • 320Gb internal / 750Gb external
      • Case:
      • Apple iMac
      • Operating System:
      • Mac OSx
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24inch
      • Internet:
      • 8mb BE connection
    I think I am gonna stay with a single core CPU for the time being, are there going to be other versions on the 7800 gfx card out?

Thanks
    TooNice: CM arent even close to Lian Li anymore. CM are crap.
    Coolermaster cases used to be made by a company called ATCS - advanced thermal cooling solutions. Everything was aluminium, and yay it was good.
    One day CM thought they'd make more money making the cases themselves. Which was a good plan until they realised they didnt know crap all about making a decent case.

Lian Li is the only choice for an all aluminium case these days, and because theres no competition, the prices are silly. At the height of the CM v LL battle prices for 201 and PC60s were about £125 a throw.

Thanks
    im going to buy a new system based on similar4 specs, however ive got to buy the full works, operating system to a new monitor, however i got an extra hundred odd quid to spend. my future box:
    7800gtx
    thermaltake tsunami black (nifty and LIGHT)
    aerocool turbine power 550
    200 gb maxtor
    LG 16x DVD-ROM
    Abit AN8 Fatal1ty NF4 ultra
    2x512 corsair twinx ddr pc3200

i was going to spend on a nifty keyboard, mouse and headset unfortunately i aint got the extra £100 i wanted for it cuz im getting a nice monitor- ill get a £7 mouse keyboard and speaker bundle for now and buy the leet stuff in a month

hey guys whats the differance between the fatal1ty SLI and the non-SLI board? (apart from the bigger soundcard, extra 16x pci-e slot and the guru panel thingy)

Thanks
    You just basically answered your own question

The SLI capability is obviously what you are paying for with that particular version.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TooNice
    I noticed something. A couple years back, I remember the CM to be over £100, with a few over £200. Lian Li offering were generally at £20-30 cheaper, and often seen as the "poor man's CM".

I had a quick look at the new range of CMs (replacing oldies like the 101, 110, 200, 201(a/b/c/Black Widow/etc., 210 etc.), and they are all... comparatively affordable. Looking at Lian Li's end, I see case starting from ~£70, and going all the way up to £210 (close to what the CM 210 used to cost). What a turn of event eh?

Are CM the Lian Li wannabe's now?
    Yeah, those cases were, there crap now.

Lian Li are the king, i like my PC-65. Little bent on 1 place, and the side panel doesn't seem to fit 100%, but apart from that it's ace.

Silverstone also make some nice cases, some of the guys from CM moved to Silverstone.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishey
    TooNice: CM arent even close to Lian Li anymore. CM are crap.
    Coolermaster cases used to be made by a company called ATCS - advanced thermal cooling solutions. Everything was aluminium, and yay it was good.
    One day CM thought they'd make more money making the cases themselves. Which was a good plan until they realised they didnt know crap all about making a decent case.

Lian Li is the only choice for an all aluminium case these days, and because theres no competition, the prices are silly. At the height of the CM v LL battle prices for 201 and PC60s were about £125 a throw.
    Thanks for the history update. I built my PC towards the end of the CM reign I guess. The Wavemaster was just out then, but I decided to go for the 201 Black Widow as the concensus then was that it was still one of the better case for its price (I bought the 210 first, but the door fell - and after some issues with Scan eventually got a refund). After that, I disappeared from this place, as I did not want to know that whatever I bought just depreciated by half 2 weeks later or something, so I didn't know much about whatever happened between CM and Lian Li.

The one thing I would like from my Black Widow is front USB 2.0 port. They are 1.1, and I have no idea whether I can change that, or how to. At the time it was not a big deal, but I could find use for 2.0 now.

Thanks
    • BenW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Dual SATA2
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 3500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB Crucial DDR
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Samsung 8MB Cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon HD 3850
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ-04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 17" Ultrasharp
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 8Mb
    Would it not just be a case of putting them on a USB2 header on the mobo? I asume all usb ports are the same harware 1.1 or 2.0

Thanks
    I am under the impression its not (could be wrong though). I am pretty sure that my mobo is all USB 2.0 (Abit NF7-S V2). But the transfer speed is definitely USB 1.1 when I plug a USB 2.0 external HD on those ports o.O

Thread Information