Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread: Ultra portable laptop £299 cont

Thanks
    You will see a big performance boost when you replace the Celeron M with a Pentium M. My 1.6 ghz Pentium M lappy boots into Windows in half the time taken by my 3.0 ghz P4 desktop.

I'm thinking about getting an internal WiFi card. Is that 2915 giving good performance?
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen
    Kitchen Table Browser: Dell XPS M1330 laptop
    On the Road: Alienware M14X laptop

Thanks
    I have only just installed mine. I will know over the next week or so whether its any better when I move around the house with the computer.

Got everything installed and running sweet Speedstep means it idles a lot cooler!

Thanks

Re: Ultra portable laptop £299 cont

Can anyone tell me if I can use a SL7EG or SL7EP CPU in a Medion SIM2000? Do they need to have the utility to stop them running at only 600MHz?

Many thanks

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

I have a SL7EP in my SIM2000 and I need to use Notebook Hardware Control to get it upto 1.7ghz. The newer BIOS revisions will recognise the CPU at full speed though!

Thanks

Hi Guys, I've just purchased a medion sim2000 with a celeron processor. I've read on here and a few other forums that you can replace it with a SL7EP, 479 socket, I found one on ebay for £15!. Will this increase the battery life of the notebook as I have heard that the Sim2000's got a crumby battery??
    also I haven't recieved it yet but was the SL7EP the right proccessor to buy, are all sim2000's a 479 socket??
    and one more thing do I need to replace the silicon compound on the CPU??

Thanks in Advance!

Thanks
    • Webby's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte G33M-DS2R, Swiftech MCW30 Northbridge Cooler
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5GHz, Cooling D-Tek Fuzion V2
      • Memory:
      • 2GB OCZ Flex DDR2 PC2-9200 5-5-5-15 @ 1000MHz 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2x 250GB WD SataII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD4870 512MB, Cooling Swiftech MCW60
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Tremjin TJ06 - Modded for Water Cooling Goodness
      • Operating System:
      • Windows XP Pro SP3
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22" Widescreen Cibox C2201 (with DVI input)
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb/s ADSL

No idea of which CPU you can replace it with a quick. I can confirm that you will need to reapply the thermal compound between the CPU and heatsink though after replacement.

As to battery life it will all depend if the power requirement of the new CPU is less than that of the old one do you know what the current CPU is (either the code like SL7EP or its full name and stepping use CPUZ to find out) then we can compare the TDP's of the two chips.

Thanks

My Medion Sim2000 (in which I replaced the 1.4 ghz Celeron cpu with a 1.6 mhz Pentium M) is now retired, but I can tell you that the battery life was terrible. Using Notebook Hardware Control I could get the laptop to automatically reduce the cpu speed to 600 mhz when mains power was disconnected and this would increase battery life to maybe 1.5 hours, depending on the operations.

Nice thread necromancy, by the way.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Socket 775 (3.0GHz), stock cooler, Gigabyte GA-EP43-S3L iP43 Socket 775, OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 Gold Memory, PowerColor HD 4870 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card, Seagate 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache, Arctic Power 500W PSU, Hann-G 19" widescreen

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by newcastlefc200 View Post
    Hi Guys, I've just purchased a medion sim2000 with a celeron processor. I've read on here and a few other forums that you can replace it with a SL7EP, 479 socket, I found one on ebay for £15!. Will this increase the battery life of the notebook as I have heard that the Sim2000's got a crumby battery??
    also I haven't recieved it yet but was the SL7EP the right proccessor to buy, are all sim2000's a 479 socket??
    and one more thing do I need to replace the silicon compound on the CPU??

Thanks in Advance!
    Sorry I did not answer earlier!! I have not logged in for a while!! I used some Zalman thermal grease to replace the thermal compound. You could also use a Akasa thermal pad too but the Zalman grease is better IMHO! You can remove the existing thermal pad using Akasa TIM Cleaner. The battery which came with the SIM2000 is a low capacity one. If you get the high capacity one you will get at least 2.5 to 3 hours of battery life at 600mhz and lower screen brightness. You can get the battery from Morgan Computers and it is worth the investment:

http://www.morgancomputers.biz/shop/...CategoryID=182

Thanks

Question Re: Ultra portable laptop £299 cont

Hi,
    I am looking to do the cpu upgrade on the Medion sim 2000, I have bought a SL7EP (yet to recieve it) but I am unsure if this is the correct one. I am confused about the socket type, wether it has 478 or 479 pins. CPU ID reports the processor as an Intel Celeron M330 and the socket as 479 FCBGA i.e. ball grid array which means permanently soldered to the motherboard with no hope of an upgrade. I hope I have not wasted my £8.99 for the cpu. However looking on the Intel website for this CPU indicates a socketed (changeable) one.
    Could someone confirm the socket type please, I am wondering if this laptop is a later version with the soldered procesor.
    This will be my first laptop CPU upgrade so although I done CPU changes dozens of times on a desktop pc, this is new territory for me.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by wilfy100 View Post
    Hi,
    I am looking to do the cpu upgrade on the Medion sim 2000, I have bought a SL7EP (yet to recieve it) but I am unsure if this is the correct one. I am confused about the socket type, wether it has 478 or 479 pins. CPU ID reports the processor as an Intel Celeron M330 and the socket as 479 FCBGA i.e. ball grid array which means permanently soldered to the motherboard with no hope of an upgrade. I hope I have not wasted my £8.99 for the cpu. However looking on the Intel website for this CPU indicates a socketed (changeable) one.
    Could someone confirm the socket type please, I am wondering if this laptop is a later version with the soldered procesor.
    This will be my first laptop CPU upgrade so although I done CPU changes dozens of times on a desktop pc, this is new territory for me.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    This is the processor I have in my SIM2000 currently. Depending on how old your SIM2000 is the BIOS will either correctly recognise it as a 1.7GHZ processor or a 600MHZ one. In the latter case use NHC and you can enable the full speed when required in Windows.

I have rebuilt a few SIM2000 and 7066M notebooks myself and they all have had socketed processors.

When lifting the heatsink be gentle as a thermal pad is used so the processor maybe stuck to the cooler.

Thanks

Somewhere in the Hexus forums (maybe in this thread?) there is a useful guide to changing out the processor in this laptop. Have a dig around and you should find it. THe only really tricky bit that I encountered was lifting the keyboard, as it is attached by a delicate ribbon cable underneath - just awkward for my big clumsy fingers.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by Ceefer View Post
    Somewhere in the Hexus forums (maybe in this thread?) there is a useful guide to changing out the processor in this laptop. Have a dig around and you should find it. THe only really tricky bit that I encountered was lifting the keyboard, as it is attached by a delicate ribbon cable underneath - just awkward for my big clumsy fingers.
    This guide is useful and has pictures too:

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=130139

Thanks

Success! I have installed a 1.7Ghz/2M/400 SL7EP, which is a Pentium M 735. The bios needs upgrading as it is recognised as a 600Mhz cpu, but notebook hardware control allows the full 1.7Ghz.
    It is quite a straightforward process and I would recommend it. The processor can be bought on ebay quite cheaply (mine ws £8.99 with free delivery). The vendor (parts_4_it_uk) has more available at this price. Just make sure you get a 400Mhz fsb one as the 533Mhz ones will not work.
    The next problem I am facing is the BIOS upgrade as I do not have the recovery cd to boot into DOS.
    I can boot to DOS with boot files on a cd but the proces stalls there because I cannot then access the new BIOS file. More work needed there.
    I have documented the installation with photos, I will try and post these.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456

Thread Information