Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Political Compass - where do you sit?

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Re: Political Compass - where do you sit?

Welll...im not far from Stalin
    Im not suprised of this outcome tbh......i had to look up from my Morning Star to do this quiz.

Your political compass
    Economic Left/Right: -6.00
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.87

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fraz View Post
    No think about it, taxes constrain people.

Take my pet peeve this month.

My student loan was dedutced against my Gross not net income. Utter c*nts. My total tax last month because of jan bonuses was 47.5% as a result. How is there any liberty in that. Shouldn't i get to opt out of certain useless schemes?

Last time i had to have surgery on the NHS, they botched it after a 18 month wait. When fixing it, they noticed an infection, which caused major scaring, and pain i can only describe as the most intense i've ever known (it caused me to pass out). So, i'm not a hudge fan of the NHS for planned operations. Not too mention my work would laugh if i said its going to be 18 months until i can work again. So i have private health insurance, and i like to keep some money saved just in case, the result i'm less of a burnden on the NHS, but i'd like too use it more, i'd happily pay an extra £5k a year if it ment i got priority treatment for minor ailments, got to see a doctor at my convience (when i was working at a certain IB last year, i wasn't seeing daylight with my hours, so had to go private for simple things like GP for my asthma medication (again, drug not available on NHS) at a cost of £250 a whack, then £95 for a perscription. Instead i'm co-orced into throwing money into a ludicrusly inefficent machine known as the NHS. But what really grinds my gears, as i don't mind the notion of providing health care for all, the fact i have to pay even more because i'm earning. Example dentistry, if i was a bum, wouldn't cost me a penny, as i work hard, have paid increible amounts of tax, i have to pay for a denist appoitnment that requires me to take time off work. How is that liberation, i'm forced to pay for something, that is of horrifically limited use to me. With no freedom to vote with my money and say "this isn't working, i'm opting all my money out of the NHS denistry scheme, i'm forced to make the situation get worse, by saying nuts to it, i'll go fully private, whilst still paying this tax. This is VERY bad, because i'm signaling to the government its okay to have a fully two teer society, the haves and the have nots. Granted, thats fine for say teeth whitening, but for root canal surgery, its makes me shudder to think this is england, that some student will have to wait longer for their oepration, because their parents earn over 18k, are excluded from free NHS dentistry because they had a summer job to pay some of their tutition fees. Where as i might have a slight twinge, will see someone that afternoon, afterwork, at my leasure. Hardly right, hardly what i pay tax for, and with no option to vote with my wallet, will always be indoresed in a mixed society, enless the option for private is removed.

not all liberties we lose are civil ones.

Then take socail support. My share of the mortgage is £1208 a month. My income and national insurance contributions reflect this. Its ~33% of my net income, the perfect amount (granted over an insaine 25 years!). What happens if i loose my job for 3 months, will i get ANY help, regardless of the fact my NI contributions and income tax will of been more than enough. No.

So the social supprot is useless for me, but again i have no choice, i vote with my wallet and save money myself to protect me and my flatmate from this happening.

This is again bad because, we once again force a two teer haves and haves not. Those who have no means to do anything but pay NI (and often can't afford the insainely increased taxes we've had under new labour....) have no choice but to take the worst offer, whilst all the haves don't care how poor the service is because they expect not to use it.

So, why should i have to pay so much more, than someone earning say 30k, even thou i'd get no better support from it (in the case of many things, much WORSE)? Even thou the idea of surving on Job Seakers is a joke (its not even my travel card, how would i get to interviews? (as most i've had generally happen before work, peak time)

this is a classic example of leftist views been forced apon me with no choice. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not moving to the US any time soon, its just its hardly liberated.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Thats a classic tale of 'Pull the ladder up Jack and sod the rest!'

I earn good money and pay ALOT of tax but, whatever the state of the welfare system/NHS, it is still something to be proud of.

If you ever get hit by a bus crossing the street (god forbid), then will you be happy to lay there and die in the street as you haven't paid you fees for that service or would you be alright in getting into an NHS paid for ambulance. I think i know the answer to that.

I do agree that we pay alot out and see very little in return. However, when we are desperate, we know that help is available.

What you are saying is just a stones throw from the way the yanks do it and look what a bawls up they make of everything.
    Im just glad Thatcher isnt still around or you may well have had your way by now.

Welcome to stampytown! Salazaar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Salazaar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Steel Legend
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT

Hmmm, exactly as I suspected, a moderate leftie-liberal.

I should grow a beard or something.

____
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2

No great surprise in mine :

HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Thats a classic tale of 'Pull the ladder up Jack and sod the rest!'

I earn good money and pay ALOT of tax but, whatever the state of the welfare system/NHS, it is still something to be proud of.

If you ever get hit by a bus crossing the street (god forbid), then will you be happy to lay there and die in the street as you haven't paid you fees for that service or would you be alright in getting into an NHS paid for ambulance. I think i know the answer to that.

I do agree that we pay alot out and see very little in return. However, when we are desperate, we know that help is available.

What you are saying is just a stones throw from the way the yanks do it and look what a bawls up they make of everything.
    Im just glad Thatcher isnt still around or you may well have had your way by now.
    No i just get very upset because its been quite an up-hill struggle for me. When i first started work i was already earning more than both my parents combined, they live in cornwall ffs!

Schooling, completely failed to do anything for me, left in year9, bad dislexia completely un-treated because i was still able to scrape a C.

NHS, insaine waiting lists, with added cost. I wouldn't mind if i didn't have to pay for a perscription, why should someone who dosen't work get it for free, making me pay for theres, and not give me the same level of service (this is what i object too, the fact i'm given NO choice in funding it, and then treated as a second class cit). This goes on with regards to dentistry in a truely specail way.

I'm not crtising the NHS A&E, just the way its forced upon us, and whilst i'm forced to pay more than the average bear, i'm forced to not complain how bad the service is, by the most effective way (economic). If everyone on 40% tax was allowed to opt out on the NHS, i wounder how quickly the NHS would offer things like my asthma medication (which has greatly improved my quality of life during the summer hay feaver months, i really do think its a godsend, even at £500 a year), which intern allows me to work harder, and earn more, and pay more tax (which is surely good for everyone).

Health is a realativly minor complaint, i mostly hate the NHS for the fact they really messed up an opeteration twice. I would much sooner see a model like the singaporian one for non emergancy work. (i still belive in free education + health care for all, just think that there should be more freedom in it.)

Its the socail state that really really pisses me off, purely because it only rewards the lazy. It is of absolutely no use what so ever to me, nor has it ever been, nor, whilst i'm able bodied, will it be.

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

TheAnimus - your life sounds so full of hardship. It sounds just terrible. I bet you can barely ever do stuff you want.

Yes - tax sucks. And yes, there are a whole bunch of sponging free-loaders out there. However, I bet the government has spent plenty of money on you during your existence. And I bet you'll see some of it back in the future.

And yes, the NHS is a money-pit, and has more than it's fair share of problems. However, get a life-threatening illness or have a life-threatening accident and they are truly phenomenal IMO. The service and support they have given to my mother, in particular, has been faultless. I guess your experience with it has not been so good, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Fraz; 11-02-2008 at 01:15 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

What rubbish questions.

Thanks

All i'm trying to say is that its hardly a liberty is it?

As i've been saying i belive in free health care for all, hell my mothers probably a bigger drain on the NHS in a month, than i earn in two, but the point still remains.

I used the example of the inequality that exists within it. Your response "I bet you can barely ever do stuff you want". Why is it i assume you wouldn't say that to an Aids riddeled affrican orphan? Why should someone other than me make the decision? Why should i have to pay for a dentist, even after i've paid all this tax.... This is my complaint. Its worth noting i didn't sue the NHS, not because i didn't have a case, but because A, its only money, i'm not going back under the nife for anything thats not life threatening, so the money wouldn't do me any good for plastic surgery to repair the cosmetic damage. My body has done a good enough job healing itself internally. So its not like i'm some card carying republican.

I'm simply saying i don't get much choice what to do with my money, because others have decided for me. That annoys me, even if i'd come to the same conculusion, its still wrong.

Thanks
    • Fraz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X58A-UD5
      • CPU:
      • Watercooled i7-980X @ 4.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • 24GB Crucial DDR3-1333
      • Storage:
      • 240 GB Vertex2E + 2 TB of Disk
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Water-cooled Sapphire 7970 @ 1175/1625
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Modu87+
      • Case:
      • Corsair 700D
      • Operating System:
      • Linux Mint 12 / Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 30" 3008WFP and two Dell 24" 2412M
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60 Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    I'm simply saying i don't get much choice what to do with my money, because others have decided for me. That annoys me, even if i'd come to the same conculusion, its still wrong.
    Who are the others that have decided for you - the government. The people that we have put into power. Tax is a consequence of society - at least we have some control over it, albeit with very high latency...

I'm surprised you're so annoyed about the money aspect of things. I get way more annoyed at having a substantial part of my life taken up doing work. I enjoy my job, but I can still think of things I'd rather be doing. Tax and work = fact of life. I can't see that changing in the near future.

Clearly we should work on developing robots that can do everything for us... but then they'd just enslave us, and everything would be really up the spout.

Thanks

Why obviously the others are the damn Gardian/Mirror reading lefties, the type who can only read a paper if every paragraph has at least 3 damn emotive words.

Tax gets higher until you get to 40%, the vast majority of people who vote for that, are too lazy/stupid/other-wise-motivated too be in the bracket.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

No think about it, taxes constrain people.

Take my pet peeve this month.

My student loan was dedutced against my Gross not net income. Utter c*nts.
    This is the correct treatment.

My total tax last month because of jan bonuses was 47.5% as a result.

How is there any liberty in that.
    Which by my quick and dirty calculation suggests your gross income for that month was around £23,000. Of which you received in-pocket £12,075, and you paid off almost £2,000 of your student loan.

Oh noes!

Shouldn't i get to opt out of certain useless schemes?
    Are you saying the NHS is a useless scheme, or was it just a throwaway remark unconnected to the following tirade?

Blah blah why should I pay for the NHS, when all I've used it for is some major surgery and 20+ years of support when I wasn't paying any taxes at all blah blah
    How about you simply imagine that all MY taxes are going towards the NHS, and then yours can be going towards the Police, or the Fire Service, or schools or some such. What's that? You've never been burgled, or had a fire, and you don't go to school now, so why should you be forced to pay for these things? A very good point indeed!

not all liberties we lose are civil ones.
    Eh?

Then take socail support. My share of the mortgage is £1208 a month. My income and national insurance contributions reflect this. Its ~33% of my net income, the perfect amount (granted over an insaine 25 years!).
    Which suggests your annual gross is around £73,000. Hope do you cope?

What happens if i loose my job for 3 months, will i get ANY help, regardless of the fact my NI contributions and income tax will of been more than enough. No.
    Yes you will, you'll get Jobseeker's Allowance, just like anybody else.

So the social supprot is useless for me, but again i have no choice, i vote with my wallet and save money myself to protect me and my flatmate from this happening.
    Yes, by purchasing the appropriate insurance cover for your mortgage. Something which poorer people could not afford to do.

This is again bad because, we once again force a two teer haves and haves not. Those who have no means to do anything but pay NI (and often can't afford the insainely increased taxes we've had under new labour....)
    Central government taxes under Labour (i.e. since the 1998/99 tax year, Gordon's first budget), have not changed significantly from the rates during Tory rule. Labour increased NI contribution rates by 1% in 2003/04, and introduced the 1% extension to National Insurance, but then dropped the basic rate of tax by 1% in 2000/01 and cut tax rates on dividends from 20/40% to 10/32.5% from 1998/99 onwards, so for many people tax under labour may have actually significantly dropped.

Local government taxes do appear to have raised disproportionately in the last few years, but is that the Labour government’s fault? Do Tory-run councils still charge low levels of Council Tax? Are we blaming increases in Council Tax on lower funding from central government – does this mean the government doesn’t have enough money to hand out – how could it get some more?

have no choice but to take the worst offer, whilst all the haves don't care how poor the service is because they expect not to use it.

So, why should i have to pay so much more, than someone earning say 30k, even thou i'd get no better support from it (in the case of many things, much WORSE)?
    So much more? Only 33% of the difference up to about £39k, and 41% of the difference above that. That still means you’re pocketing much more than half of the extra gross earned.

Even thou the idea of surving on Job Seakers is a joke (its not even my travel card, how would i get to interviews? (as most i've had generally happen before work, peak time)
    So you’re now suggesting that people couldn’t *possibly* survive on such a low income. Perhaps we should do something to help them, such as ensuring that they receive a good standard of health care, and free schooling. And perhaps some sort of scheme to help them into work. Maybe we should start the tax rates off low, to ensure that they keep at least a minimum of spendable income. Yes, those are good ideas. Right, how are we going to fund them?

Also, don’t worry, when you’re jobless you’ve got all day to go to interviews, so you can wait until after peak time ends. And to save money, you could get the bus.

this is a classic example of leftist views been forced apon me with no choice. Now don't get me wrong, i'm not moving to the US any time soon, its just its hardly liberated.
    Have you considered Iran?

13. Received thanks from:

Blitzen (11-02-2008),Fraz (11-02-2008),kalniel (11-02-2008),Lee H (11-02-2008),nichomach (11-02-2008),Salazaar (11-02-2008)

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Why obviously the others are the damn Gardian/Mirror reading lefties, the type who can only read a paper if every paragraph has at least 3 damn emotive words.
    Well, I'm disagreeing with you, and I only ever read the FT, or the motoring section of the Saturday Telegraph if I happen to be at my/my wife's parents' house.

Tax gets higher until you get to 40%, the vast majority of people who vote for that, are too lazy/stupid/other-wise-motivated too be in the bracket.
    Could you clarify this statement? I'm not sure what you're getting at. (honest question)

15. Received thanks from:

Fraz (11-02-2008),nichomach (11-02-2008),Salazaar (11-02-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schmunk View Post
    Yes you will, you'll get Jobseeker's Allowance, just like anybody else.
    No, you have to be employed for over 3 months to get a sausage.

Yes, by purchasing the appropriate insurance cover for your mortgage. Something which poorer people could not afford to do.
    Which most products are been investigated by the FSA (which my student loan isn't regulated by) for actually offering no real protection.
    Central government taxes under Labour (i.e. since the 1998/99 tax year, Gordon's first budget), have not changed significantly from the rates during Tory rule. Labour increased NI contribution rates by 1% in 2003/04, and introduced the 1% extension to National Insurance, but then dropped the basic rate of tax by 1% in 2000/01 and cut tax rates on dividends from 20/40% to 10/32.5% from 1998/99 onwards, so for many people tax under labour may have actually significantly dropped.
    The levels of tax to which i'm complaining mostly are the fact NHS dentists are virtually non-existant (thanks mostly to NL policy) things like paying to goto uni (to have to pay of in a loan form thats completely un-regulated pegged against base my arse) etc. All this ontop of an already high income tax.

So much more? Only 33% of the difference up to about £39k, and 41% of the difference above that. That still means you’re pocketing much more than half of the extra gross earned.
    Missing the point, if your choosing to earn only 30k, why should you get to pay less for things like the recent example for me again of dentist? Its un-fair and against my principles to charge one person more for health care than another.

So you’re now suggesting that people couldn’t *possibly* survive on such a low income. Perhaps we should do something to help them, such as ensuring that they receive a good standard of health care, and free schooling. And perhaps some sort of scheme to help them into work. Maybe we should start the tax rates off low, to ensure that they keep at least a minimum of spendable income. Yes, those are good ideas. Right, how are we going to fund them?

Also, don’t worry, when you’re jobless you’ve got all day to go to interviews, so you can wait until after peak time ends. And to save money, you could get the bus.
    As i've said i've got a mortgage to keep up, and we don't want to let that slip do we? Interviews as i said, are normally in the morning before the market opens for the kind of work i do, i'm good, but no ones going to bend over backwards to give an interview slot around my un-employed time schedule. Its also cheaper to take the tube, than the bus, if you live with a few changes on the way. (but walking would only take me about 2.5 hours acording to ASK's walking directions).

All i'm saying is i would rather be able to opt out of so many things. Un-employment benefit (i'll kill myself with a mixture of worthlessness and realised actual low self estime before i'm un-employed for a year, as i would just be a cancerous drain on others, bit un-fair.)

So we get back to this point, i don't like my spending allocations been dictated by the masses, as the masses are quite frankly as selfish as i am, so its the minority who end up having to support them.

So i'll say, once again. I'm in favour of a health care, just sooner go towards the singaporien one for non emergency treatment. This will result in better treatment i belive, and better quality of life.

I'm dead against any form of a welfair state, it only serves to reward thouse who deserve no reward.

I can't stand the student loans company, and the notion of people having to pay to goto university. The notion you have to pay more to goto a top flight one makes me feal quite physically sick. (as i would of been religated to portsmouth under this new regeme).

Thanks

Could you clarify this statement? I'm not sure what you're getting at. (honest question)
    The people who are voting to tax so heavily thouse who work harder, are of course generally not those in the bracket they are choosing to tax.

If you say, "hello x on street, would you like to pay less tax, because we will make this other person, y pay it for you" if x is a larger population than y, people say yes, democracy works. And bingo.

People generally act in a selfish manner.

IBM
    there but for the grace of God, go I IBM's Avatar
    Thanks
    • IBM's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6600 Core2Duo 2.40GHz
      • Memory:
      • 2x2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-6400
      • Storage:
      • 150G WD SATA 10k RAPTOR, 500GB WD SATA Enterprise
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Leadtek NVIDIA GeForce PX8800GTS 640MB
      • PSU:
      • CORSAIR HX 620W MODULAR PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Black Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WPF A04
      • Internet:
      • domestic zoom

Economic Left/Right: -3.12
    Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.10

But I'm finding myself pausing at some of the socialist or libertarian questions and thinking that maybe they're wrong more often.....the older I get, the harsher I get....
    sig removed by Zak33

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information