Thread: RMA Issue - Please help

Registered+
    Thanks

RMA Issue - Please help

Placed an order for a new PC build - £769 worth of kit!

The PSU - Corsair 650TX has a noisy fan which I could hear in-situ over the PC case and CPU cooler fans!

I isolating the PSU by running it on a bench - bare with the green wire earthed and just a CD Drive hooked up for load. I could clearly hear the fan making a chirping noise - not the typical fan drone - one would normally expect.

So I raised an RMA for the PSU - RMA 228786

SCAN issued receipt email Thu, August 26, 2010 3:03 pm
    SCAN issued no fault found email Thu, August 26, 2010 3:21 pm

RMA tracking log states -

" ... Voltages fine via PSU tester and in BIOS. Connected to an Intel Quad Core bench, running Prime95 set to Max power useage, it has been running for about an hour ... PSU has been in Prime95 all night, fan isn't making any sounds ... "

So we have an impasse - I've tried calling SCAN on Friday and today - after being on hold on both occasions for 20 mins - I gave up.

I cannot email SCAN directly, I get bounced back ...

" ... The following email could not be accepted into our system, please use the Scan web site to log your query ... "

I've repeated my fault claim on their web form, adding that there really is no need to test this PSU on a system with 100% CPU for any length of time - the fan noise is there all the time, and to just run the PSU on a bench - the chirpng fan noise can be clearly heard. The sound was prominent enough for me to immediately notice it above the CM Sniper case fans and Apache fan, I bought at the same time - with the Sniper fan control set to minimum. If I set the Sniper fan control to max then of course the chirping moise is drowned out, which is what I suspect the tester is experiencing.

I've built many PCs and know what a PSU fan normally sounds like both brand new and years down the line - a brand new PSU fan should not be making any chirping like noises!

I'm a long term customer of SCAN and I spent over £750 on this order alone and would like to continue to be a SCAN customer.

I'd really like this to be resolved asap - Thank You.
    Last edited by gussie; 31-08-2010 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typo

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: RMA Issue - Please help

SCAN are insisting there is no fault and are going to charge me £35 + VAT = £41.13 to return the unit to me.

I've paid the fee and unless it has fixed itself in the mean time, will have the unit independently tested by someone here in the UK to prove that the fan is faulty!

Thread Information