Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed with Scan Sure/Sandy bridge service

Thanks

Disappointed with Scan Sure/Sandy bridge service

I purchased a Sandy Bridge CPU + Motherboard and some other parts in January soon after release. One of the things that made me decide to put everything together myself, was the fact I could be covered with ScanSure.

I put the machine together with no problems. Everything worked - until I heard about the chipset bug (and experienced some sata problems myself). So I can get a replacement though so no problem - However if the motherboard had had a failure/problem within the first week, and I could have got a replacement then, I could still have been covered by ScanSure. Because I have had to wait for replacements to become available, I am no longer covered of course. No problem I thought - Scan are well known for good customer care, and after spending >£500 with them in January they are sure to honour it so I can have a worry free transfer of the CPU.

Nope.

I understand the T&C are clear in ScanSure, but I don't feel I've been well looked after as a customer here. I also mentioned the fact I would have to get a new thermal pad/some paste too at cost (not much of course), and that was also something scan wouldn't help with (Much less important than the Scansure issue but I thought to mention it all the same).

Perhaps I'm being naive and was expecting a level of service that just isn't possible with the highly competitive market for PC parts. But I'm pretty sure if it was one of my customers, I would have sorted it out more to their liking.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: Disappointed with Scan Sure/Sandy bridge service

Surely Scansure is intended for accidental damage - since this damage is completely Intel's fault and nothing to do you with you, Scansure is neither here nor there?

Thanks

I'm just referring to the fact I will have to transfer the CPU to a new board, and it is a shame that if I wanted to be covered by scansure, I would have to purchase it again (separately). I just thought it wouldn't have been a great deal for them to extend the cover to the replacement board also. If the board had just been faulty for another reason, I could have had a replacement right away and still had cover.
    Last edited by exobuzz; 20-03-2011 at 02:07 AM.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Apologies, understand what you mean now. For what little it's worth, I agree.

Thanks

To be honest, I'm a bit scared as I didn't get any Scan Insurance as it would of cost me £75 I think - which I didn't have the money at the time

So my £1,500+ rig better not be a wasted of time and money
    "Famous like a drug that I've taken too much of. But I never ever trip, just peace, happiness, and love."

Registered+
    Thanks

well i was thinking of getting the scansure with what im looking at

but after that, i might have to rethink :-P

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by exobuzz View Post
    I purchased a Sandy Bridge CPU + Motherboard and some other parts in January soon after release. One of the things that made me decide to put everything together myself, was the fact I could be covered with ScanSure.

I put the machine together with no problems. Everything worked - until I heard about the chipset bug (and experienced some sata problems myself). So I can get a replacement though so no problem - However if the motherboard had had a failure/problem within the first week, and I could have got a replacement then, I could still have been covered by ScanSure. Because I have had to wait for replacements to become available, I am no longer covered of course. No problem I thought - Scan are well known for good customer care, and after spending >£500 with them in January they are sure to honour it so I can have a worry free transfer of the CPU.

Nope.

I understand the T&C are clear in ScanSure, but I don't feel I've been well looked after as a customer here. I also mentioned the fact I would have to get a new thermal pad/some paste too at cost (not much of course), and that was also something scan wouldn't help with (Much less important than the Scansure issue but I thought to mention it all the same).

Perhaps I'm being naive and was expecting a level of service that just isn't possible with the highly competitive market for PC parts. But I'm pretty sure if it was one of my customers, I would have sorted it out more to their liking.
    exobuzz

Thank you for the feedback.

Unfortunately it isn't feasible to transfer the Scansure Policy you have purchased across to the new purchase of the Rev 3 / B3 Sandy Bridge motherboard as the policy terms for this particular insurance expire's in 28 days.

In the interests of customer service I understand you may appreciate a new policy to be provided to the new system, which you need to re-build, however this is simply not feasible. As there is no way to create a policy free of charge and therefore if we were to do this for you we would have to do this for every customer also in this situation, which would potentially leave SCAN open to a large number of claims, which we are not covered by with a policy, therefore potentially resulting in a large loss.

The Scansure policy does only cover accidental damage, such as installation so if you would like to be protected when re-building your system a new policy would need to be purchased.

Best Regards

I can appreciate your point of view, however the Scansure policy is per basket

Registered+
    Thanks

Hey Chris

is there no way of adding scansure onto a 3XS OC bundle?

i notice i can get it with the case i want, but im scared ill break the mobo lol

Thanks

kellock

We can, this can be requested after the order has been placed on line ( via Support links, here or by calling the Sales dept) or during placing the order via the sales line.

Best Regards

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris P View Post
    Unfortunately it isn't feasible to transfer the Scansure Policy you have purchased across to the new purchase of the Rev 3 / B3 Sandy Bridge motherboard as the policy terms for this particular insurance expire's in 28 days.
    Thanks for the response.

If I buy another policy, the insurance provider makes money twice, Scan makes their cut twice, and me the poor consumer pays twice even though it is not my fault the board had a fault that I could not fix/replace within the 28 days. I think there is perhaps a compromise/balance to be found here somewhere ?

Thanks

exobuzz

I understand your point of view, however to re-iterate the Insurance policies are per order based for only 28 day's and you have had the benefit of this policy.

We have already spoken to the insurance provider and there is no scope for extending the policy or providing new policies against a new purchase as the policy only cover's against accidental damage and not design issue's.

Sorry for any disappointment.

Best Regards

Thanks

We have already spoken to the insurance provider and there is no scope for extending the policy or providing new policies against a new purchase as the policy only cover's against accidental damage and not design issue's.
    I was actually trying to suggest perhaps the possibility of the offer of a discounted policy, so that you don't actually "lose" any money, then you still have your profit from the first policy, the insurance guys are happy, I have some cover for the replacement board, I get to feel looked after, and you get to look great on the internet, and live up to your signature ;-)

Thanks

exobuzz

I'm afraid this is not possible as the policy has not relation to the design issue with the Sandy Bridge motherboards.

Best Regards

Thanks

exobuzz

I'm afraid this is not possible as the policy has not relation to the design issue with the Sandy Bridge motherboards.
    So you say you understand where I'm coming from but are unwilling to budge even an inch? pretty sad I guess I will have to reconsider who I use in the future for purchases. Thanks for your time anyway.
    Last edited by exobuzz; 22-03-2011 at 02:06 AM.

Thanks

exobuzz

I appreciate your point of view but was in hope the explanation provided would be adequate to give reason why a new scansure policy is required.

This is the same for everyone.

Regards

Thanks

And I was in hope a company I had just spent £500 with, could try and meet me halfway, or even give a small discount on a new policy as a gesture of goodwill. We could have been talking a couple of quid. Now I'll just take my money elsewhere.

[edit]
    To add, for people visiting this thread (it has quite a good google rank) - it is worth taking into consideration the extra cost of additional scansure insurance for a rebuild if a piece of hardware fails after you have installed it and outside of the 28 days.

I think it would be a good idea for scan to look into extending cover for the cases where a hardware item fails and needs rebuilding or rethink the policy a bit. If an item failed multiple times through no fault of the customer, it is unfair that they would need to keep buying new cover from no mistake of their own - in fact the current policy actually favours hardware failure!. Right now, I don't feel that scansure offers the peace of mind it claims to.
    Last edited by exobuzz; 22-03-2011 at 01:34 PM. Reason: additional info

Thread Information