Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Scan & Intel CPU Warranty Issues

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Scan & Intel CPU Warranty Issues

All Intel Products
    For post-sales technical support in Europe, the Middle East and Africa, support is offered in the following languages:
    English
    French
    Italian
    Spanish
    German Belgium 02 714 3182
    Denmark 38 487077
    Finland 9 693 79297
    France 01 41 91 85 29
    Germany 069 9509 6099
    Holland 020 487 4562
    Italy 02 696 33276
    Norway 23 1620 50
    Russia +7 495 6428537
    Spain 91 377 8166
    Sweden 08 445 1251
    United Kingdom 0870 607 2439 -
    08:30 - 16:00
    (United Kingdom time)
    Monday - Friday

Thanks

Is there an web page or site i can contact please i'm getting rather down on hanging on the telephone over this matter. I was also wondering if you had a contact rather then the general section which i could have gone to on friday.

thanks

Only real thing i can find is thisGeneral Warranty Information

Thanks

I should have an E8400 arriving tomorrow which I await with some concern. I guess there will be a few of us here who have ordered in the last week all receiving CPUs from the same batch in the next few days, all in the same boat.

I don't have an E6750 or similar to benchmark against but needless to say if I experience the problems outlined above I shall not be calling Intel to discuss, but will instead hoy it straight back to Scan as is my statutory right. Hoping it won't come to that though
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertrand Russell

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyaldred View Post
    Yes, if Intel verify that the temperatures are outside of their threshold for that CPU running with the stock cooler then the item can be returned to Scan within 28 days from purchase for a refund.

Obviously as per my earlier post supershank will need to speak to Intel to verify this.

Wesley

I wanted one of these and thats why this case is so interesting.

The Wolfdale is supposed to be cooler. If its not, and, as is possible, you have a faulty batch, shouldnt it be Scan that should sort this out with Intel and not the customer.
    Regardless whether its a batch issue or not, surely you should still be the mediators. The sale was with you and not Intel.

My opinion of Scan is high but when i read about you washing your hands of a potential batch wide problem (whether it is or not) then you are getting your focus very very wrong!

Where is this legendary serivce we hear so much about?

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    The Wolfdale is supposed to be cooler.
    Do Intel or Scan claim that anywhere? If so, and you can prove that it's not actually cooler, you might have some leverage there.

The whole HSF thing surprises me.. only in that Intel seemingly are ok with third party coolers. My retail AMD came with very clear warranty instructions that said the warranty was void with anything other than AMDs retail HSF and thermal paste.

Which kind of makes sense in that the warranty can't know how good the third party cooler is and AMD don't seem to have a certification program that classes certain coolers, pastes and installation engineers as meeting their standards.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Do Intel or Scan claim that anywhere? If so, and you can prove that it's not actually cooler, you might have some leverage there.

The whole HSF thing surprises me.. only in that Intel seemingly are ok with third party coolers. My retail AMD came with very clear warranty instructions that said the warranty was void with anything other than AMDs retail HSF and thermal paste.

Which kind of makes sense in that the warranty can't know how good the third party cooler is and AMD don't seem to have a certification program that classes certain coolers, pastes and installation engineers as meeting their standards.
    You need to read back a bit mate

The heatsink thing is sorted now, see Wesley's post.

There are also a few links to the Intel website claiming they are cooler.

I also agree with Blitzen - why should the customer have to deal with Intel direct?

What if Intel agree that supershanks's CPU is within guidelines (temp wise), but doesn't indeed run cooler than the previous generation CPU? Isn't that false advertising? Misleading? That would be messy wouldn't it?

Registered+
    Thanks

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post

Its technology is different than the previous generation(s) 65nm -->> 45nm
    It consumes less power.
    To have a Quad core running at similar temps to a dual core is madness. Its blatant that these cores aren't correct somehow.

Both of these factors should automatically make the CPU run cooler.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Both of these factors should automatically make the CPU run cooler.
    Not only should, but every review I read praised the chips low thermal output. Either there is a faulty batch, or the review samples perform radically different to the production chips, which are inexplicably gypsy. It's like buying an M3 on the basis of a road test in What Car magazine, only to have it delivered and upon complaining about it's lacklustre performance be told by the dealer that it falls within BMWs specified performance range of doing 0 - 60mph in something between 5.8 and 39 seconds...

I'm interested to read how everyone else gets on but for me, if my chip runs at radically different temps from the reviews I'll return it under the distance selling regs and let Scan be the ones to email/phone Intel . Have to say, I'm a little disappointed and very surprised at scan's behavior in regards to this situation.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JPreston View Post
    .... Have to say, I'm a little disappointed and very surprised at scan's behavior in regards to this situation.
    Scan are caught rather in the middle on this, though. After all, they get what they're sent, just like we do.

If they get a load of chips returned, they're not going to just want to write them off - they're going to want them to be replaced by Intel. And if Intel won't, Scan have a problem. So a lot seems to depend on whether the chips are actually faulty, or are not "as described" by Intel, or are viewed as being disappointing in terms of temp performance but within spec.

As for returning it under the Distance Selling Regs, that might work but it also might not. Yes, you can return products and do so without giving a reason. And no, though some have tried, it's not the case that they can simply reject returns if the products have been taken out of the packaging.

But does that mean you can install, test and then return? Only a court can answer that. But the guidance given by the OFT and the DTI suggests that the buyer is entitled to "inspect" the goods, in much the way that you would be able to had you bought them in person over the counter. That definition isn't actually embedded in the law, but it is certainly the "official" view and is consistent with the intent of the DSR in the first place. About the only thing the Regs actually say is that you, as the buyer, have a legal duty to retain the goods, take "reasonable care" of them while in his care, and return (or make available for collection) as stipulated by the DSR.

Actually, strictly speaking, the retailer MUST refund, and within 30 days at the most, after cancellation, regardless of the state of the goods or even if they haven't been returned. But they could then have grounds for a civil action against the consumer if the goods aren't returned or, when they are, if they aren't in a condition that is consistent with "reasonable care" having been taken.

Naturally, "reasonable care" isn't defined. It's for a court to interpret. But if the guidance from the OFT was used as a yardstick, if you bought over the counter, would any shop let you install and test prior to buying? Would Scan, if the consumer went to them in person? I can guess the answer.

So, and of course it's just my opinion, if a CPU had clearly been used, would Scan issue a refund, or would you have to take Small Claims Court action to get your money back? If you did do so, would you win? And if you did, would they then take court action right back on the basis that you'd failed the "reasonable care" duty? And if they did, who'd win?

And is it worth the risk of the hassle?

Personally, were I in your shoes, with the current doubts over this chip, I would cancel under the DSR and on arrival of the chip, send it straight back without ever opening the box. I certainly wouldn't install it to find out whether it exhibited the problem or not, because if it did, it might set off a chain of events that would be more hassle than it was worth.

For reference, I'm upgrading four of my systems (a server, a media server and two workstations). The two workstations were going to be E8400s, but until this temperature issue is resolved clearly, I'll either hold off on the order, or simply revert to Q6600/E6750, which is what I was going to do until the 8x00s launched. But I'm not prepared to take a chance on the 8400 right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Scan are caught rather in the middle on this, though. After all, they get what they're sent, just like we do.

If they get a load of chips returned, they're not going to just want to write them off - they're going to want them to be replaced by Intel. And if Intel won't, Scan have a problem. So a lot seems to depend on whether the chips are actually faulty, or are not "as described" by Intel, or are viewed as being disappointing in terms of temp performance but within spec.

As for returning it under the Distance Selling Regs, that might work but it also might not. Yes, you can return products and do so without giving a reason. And no, though some have tried, it's not the case that they can simply reject returns if the products have been taken out of the packaging.

yes but the customer contract is with SCAN not intel. SCANs contract is with Intel.

if scan have bought a batch of dodgy cpu's they need to go back up the chain and sort it out, not force their customers down this route.

how can you return under the DSR after opening and using the CPU thats not how it works.

Thanks

Well Intel Support Questionnaire filled in & sent.

I am having heat issues with my E8400 I have referred this to my retailer on their support site http://forums.hexus.net/1328212-post34.html , they in turn have told me top contact you.

I purchased the cpu to go in a HTPC i plan to build. I bought it on the basis of
    PRESS KIT - First 45nm Chips: Eco-Friendly. Faster. ‘Cooler’. , looking at the comparison with my main q6600 it's not giving me the temps i expect , bottom line with those temps i don't want a red hot htpc.

I have the CPu-z dumps to show my DTS values on load & idle. & also coretemp logs read from the cpu, should you require them

I have read that there may be some issues with the sensors
    & am unsure if this is the case , As noted in my tests on idle the core 1 Temperature appears frozen at 43C absolute DTS of 62C.
    I would like clarrification if at all possible :-
    1) Are my results within the normal operating window ??
    and / or
    2) Are my temperatures overstated due to inaccurate or faulty sensors.??

Thank you
    They reckon to turn the request round in a maximum of 5 days. not sure where that will leave me in terms of any DSR options I might have.

Thanks's for that Saracen , of course I appreciate that, but at the moment i feel more like a victim in a traffic accident.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Supershanks View Post

Thanks's for that Saracen , of course I appreciate that, but at the moment i feel more like a victim in a traffic accident.
    Indeed, the difference between scan and the end consumer is that scan are in the business of marking up items for retail sale and making a profit thereon - they therefore bear the risk of returns and TBH I would not have contacted intel at all.

That said I'm still going to take a punt on my back-ordered E8400 because:

1. it's entirely possible it will be fine.
    2. it's cheaper than E6750 and probably is still cooler than one running at 3Gig.
    3. the issue may well be that temps are over-reported and correctable with future BIOS updates, rather than real temperature problem.
    4. In the event of a real issue i trust scan to do right by their customers,their current responses to this issue notwithstanding.

Let's see what I am saying in a weeks time

Thanks

For comparison I have just built my latest PC with a E6750 CPU and Scythe Mine heat sink with 1,000 rpm stock fan from Scan and the CPU idles at 22 deg C and never gets above 36 deg C. I am really impressed as it is also very quiet.

Thanks

3. the issue may well be that temps are over-reported and correctable with future BIOS updates, rather than real temperature problem.
    AS reported previously the sensor is in the cpu. so a bios update to correect it is pretty well impossible.

How is the bios to check if the sensor is faulty, it's more likely batch based than CPU Type basrd. I.e some E8400 are ok other not.

If the sensors are faulty then, i'd not be happy, but at least i'd have some comfort that there was a chance that the Cpu may perform temperature wise as per the cooler blurb. I could use it for the purpose I bought it.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Well mine runs hot too, anywhere from 40-50 idle now, upto about 60 or just over when gaming, degree C that is. It also is effecting my asus p5n-d as its making that run hotter as a result(im thinking it would). But i have managed to cool that down to 40 idle instead of 56. My board is brand new(released on like the 30th) and that would mean the bios shouldnt be the problem for supporting 45nm atleast, working in america as far as i can see.
    This is using stock cooling and about 5 case fans.

Second cpu tends to stay around 40-50.

I will be watching this as i indeed think i have a faulty one and tbh i bought this as it runs cooler,ment to. So in theory it should last longer. Great work intel, no probs in america but in europe it =fail so far xD

edit: ok looking at the file of coretemp i can see my cpu hit 62C and the second core hit 56C, not good at all
    edit2: wow compareing these results to the guy(sorry didnt look at name ) who tested his q6600 against his e8400 it shows my cpu is running hotter then the quad core, fail. This must be a problem as my heatsink/fan are properly seated and working.
    Last edited by Hicks12; 04-02-2008 at 07:58 PM.

Thread Information