Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scan Warranty Failure

Registered+
    Thanks

Scan Warranty Failure

My ASUS P5N32-E SLI motherboard died (no POST nothing) so I had to claim on the 3 year warranty, but Scan only seem to want to replace it with a very dodgy board that is probably someone else's return or something.

Wed 22/10/2008 - The first RMA was issued
    Thu 23/10/2008 - I posted the board off
    Mon 27/10/2008 - Scan marked the RMA received
    Tue 28/10/2008 - Scan marked the RMA completed

Fri 31/10/2008 - I had to collect a package from Basingstoke after missing two deliveries (I hate citylink) which turned out to be a replacement board.
    - The box, manual and CD etc were from a P5N32-E SLI PLUS instead of a P5N32-E SLI, but that wasn't much of a problem to me, although they could have sent me my original manual etc back.
    - Upon initial inspection the replacement motherboard itself looked ok and was the right model. There was a hole in the slightly tatty motherboard box (picture - liandri.co.uk/pictures/DSC_0015.JPG ), but no visible damage underneath the board and it got into the BIOS ok so I left it.

Fri 21/10/2008 - I got around to installing the board (things got in the way) and discovered why the one week turn around was too good to be true, several components around the firewire header had previously blown up (pictures - liandri.co.uk/pictures/Dsc_0008_2.jpg and liandri.co.uk/pictures/DSC_0008.JPG ).
    - Add to that consistent crashes in the BIOS when left idle for half an hour and I filled out another return query.

Mon 24/11/2008 - I was emailed with a new RMA number
    Tue 25/11/2008 - I posted the replacement board back, total postage costs now £15.70. I included a photo of where to find the fault and a copy of the query text where I offered to accept any new ASUS s775 board or partial credit instead.
    Thu 27/11/2008 - I was emailed with a RMA status update to Awaiting Replacement / Credit, with 'tested by technicians, fault found' set.

Tue 02/12/2008 - Several days went by and I couldn't check the second RMA status on the Scan website since the invoice number wasn't accepted, so I filled out a query requesting the invoice number.

Wed 03/12/2008 - The second RMA status was reverted to Items Tested, No Fault Found !
    - I called the 0871 number and was told that they couldn't find any damage and it had been tested in Vista for 20 minutes ok.
    - I told them to look at the firewire connector thinking the instability was largely irrelevant in comparison and suggested I email them the picture again, which was accepted and I was told to email it to Ian, it didn't bounce.

Thu 04/12/2008 - My invoice number query was answered, the invoice number on the second RMA was fixed.
    - I filled out another query requesting a RMA update since the status was still set to no fault found.

Mon 15/12/2008 - Having heard nothing from Scan for over a week I called to find out the status. 'Mark' claimed that the board was working fine for them and
    since I had the board for a month (actually 3 weeks) before making the second return query that I must have damaged it and that they have a 48 hour policy anyway;
    therefore the returns department had refused to replace it on the 6/12/2008 without telling me and they would send it back to me.

Looking at the Scan terms the 48 hour policy is in the 'Delivery of the goods' section, which talks about delivery costs and damage in transit issues,
    nevertheless point six states 'In respect of any damage to goods reported to us after 48 hours of delivery we shall require proof from you that the goods were damaged before receipt by you.'.

Obviously Scan couldn't have missed something like this fault when the board was first sent to me, even though they couldn't find it later with a picture of where to look - so its therefore a damage issue ?
    Or am I really being asked to prove when the components blew up ?
    If a picture of the 'damage', clearly a blown up component failure, taken before I sent it back is not proof its faulty, what is ?
    And even if they had blown up whilst in my possession in normal use of the board, then isn't it again covered by the ASUS warranty ?

What I don't understand is surely ASUS have to foot the bill for their three year warranty, so why are Scan doing this ? Most ASUS boards sold on Scan are heavily advertised as having a three year manufactorer warranty (the details are lacking). I am posting this so you know the true risks. I have used Scan a lot over the years and this is very disappointing. I can't accept a motherboard with such an obvious failure as a replacement, particularly for a 24/7 server machine it was going to go into.

- Mike

RMA number 191320
    Received and tested by AndyC
    Authorised by IanH

RMA number 193132
    Authorised by MichaelW
    Received and tested by Lee

Thanks

Re: Scan Warranty Failure

Hope you get an answer to this.

Doesn't seem right to me.

Busy with life
    Thanks
    • burtie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-MA790X-DS4
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II 955BE @ 3.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair (2x2GB) TwinX XMS2
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 80Gb Seagate 500Gb Samsung 500Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HiS HD 4850 IceQ 512MB x 2 Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX 650W ATX PSU
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC-7S
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer X222W
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb Bt

Should be coverd in warranty with ASUS by looking at the picture. Also how was you supposed to of damaged that firewire socket? unless you've attacked it with a solder gun.

Scan Computers Technical/Returns Mark@SCAN's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS MAXIMUS VII GENE Z97
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 2400MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB Samsung SM951 NVME & 1x 4TB WD Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone SST-ST75F-G Strider 750w
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Hi,

I have asked if we can have the board returned to our supplier for further inspection, however this does not change the rejection already placed upon the RMA by SCAN.

I should have an update tomorrow with regards to sending it back to our supplier and will update the thread and PM you further when I hear back.

Regards

Thanks

Perfectionist

You shouldn't have the Reception Number, this is not an advertised Direct Number or an option on our Phone System, so do not use it.

Use 0871 / 01204, our phone system has no preference nor do we deliberately make it hard for customer's to contact us- How many possible ways to contact SCAN do we advertise?, we make it as easy as possible to contact us.

We don't hide the 0870 web site you linked to, its there in the public domain but the reason we use an 0871 number is because we don't want to offer a premium rate for the support services we offer.

Any other queries feel free to contact me....

Keep this thread on topic from now on....

Regards
    Last edited by Chris P; 16-12-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Thanks

Question Re: Scan Warranty Failure

(ignore/delete this, meant to send in PM, was writing here to copypaste since it had a quote for Chris' post)

Registered+
    Thanks

So "Fault found, awaiting credit authorisation" can be retracted but an RMA rejection can't ? If you think the board works please test both firewire ports.

I await to hear the news from your supplier.

- Mike

Thanks for your support guys.

Registered+
    Thanks

Scan DON'T care

Amazingly I have received this obviously defective motherboard back again. To add to the insult it wasn't even properly wrapped this time, the ASUS box was just put in a citylink bag and the accessories were dumped directly on top of the board inside, probably causing further damage.

I can no longer check the status of the second RMA on the website it says RMA not found. And Scan have gone all quiet - again. The last I heard was the above.

Does anyone know the name of the Managing Director at Scan ?

Mike

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

how much damaged did there poor excuse at packaging cause once the wrapper was off as they have probably damaged lots of parts meaning they have to RMA it again now

the 2nd hand banana 8800gtx they sent me was loose inside a box and was sticking through the side, so its not just you that gets something packed by an idiot.

there was no argument when i sent it back, just a nice and quiet refund, and i dare say a foot up the packers arse.

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Hi,

As per your conversation with myself last Saturday 13/12/08 it was agreed that the board would be returned back to yourself.

Further to this you posted here 16/12/08 the contents of which are above, further to this I replied stating that I would request if your motherboard could be sent back to the supplier for there ultimate descision as to repair, replace or reject the board.

Unfortunatly in the meantime the board was sent back to you as per our conversation last Saturday. The descision to return the board to our suppliers was only made after the board had already been dispatched back to yourself.

I can confirm that our returns department IS happy for us to return the board back to the suppliers for them to inspect. I will forward details on Monday 22/12/08 for us to arrange collection for the board the week commencing 05/01/09 as from today our returns/testing department is closed over the xmas period.

Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

As I'd assume It would be frowned upon me for me to post such information directly, although it can be easily found at companies house etc.

Also hexus have here an article which provides a name. http://channel.hexus.net/content/ite...&search=dollar

I've spoken to the md a few times over the years he's a top chap. Although not easy to track down, as you can imagine the directors are not exactly customer facing on a daily basis. Plus this time of year is no doubt chaotic for many retailers, making people at the top allot harder to pin down.

However when things do go very wrong, and your left with few other choices, they are approachable and do assist with things.
    If you do take this route, plan everything carefully, they inevitably wont have much time to spare for you, so straight to the point, be clear courteous and professional, I'm sure you will get a good response back.

Registered+
    Thanks

Collection is fine, I wait to hear from you.

Registered+
    Thanks

I haven't heard from Scan since the above post, can I have an update on this ?

Thanks
    • Mark@SCAN's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790k @ 4.7ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 980
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • SilverStone FT03B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL U2711H
      • Internet:
      • SKY Fibre Unlimited

Hi,

Please accept my apologies for the delay, with xmas and new year I simply forgot

Please PM me with your invoice or previous RMA details and I will arrange for collection.

Regards

Registered+
    Thanks

RMAs 191320 and 193132.

Not sure what format you prefer for private message (the Hexus MSN messenger activex control didn't work).

Thanks

Mike12345 wont be able to use hexus PM yet as he has not enough posts..

Thread Information