Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Misadvertised Product on Scan Website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu2003
    these are the same cards savastore were selling, they are deffinatly the 7900 but with the latest drivers show up as 7950 for some reason, i know at least 2 members who purchased this and were having performance problems, (cant speak for the latest drivers though)

notice the same product code:

PowerXS Part Number: PV-T71U-YDDB
    Hi Pingu - top of the morning to you! Regarding these performance issues, are these with this batch of cards from Scan or the other ones from Savastore? My understanding of these 7900GX2 cards is that they are functionally identical to 7950GX2. There are obviously some drawbacks to the physical design of the 7900GX2, but it should perform just the same. I know there are a number of peeps having performance issues with 7950GX2s, so perhaps the performance problems you mention would have occurred with true blue 7950GX2 cards as well.

Ginga

Thanks
    from savastore, but the product code is exactly the same,

the only issues ive noticed from the proper 7950gx2s and performance, is that
    users using a non native 16X pci-express slot, this is motherboard dependant
    im using a 7950gx2 in a asus p5w DH with no issues, where i was using this with
    an asrock stuck at 8x link width which gave lower performance.

Thanks
    I know that people with the 7900GX2 were having problems with the beta version of 91.31, but that issue seems to have been resolved with the official WHQL version apart from a couple of niggles.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacky
    Literally laughing my ass off when i saw it though. Thought the bubble wrap packing was big because it had some other stuff with it...turns out its just that the card is actually a RIVER BOAT.
    hahaha, for that price id expect more of a barge!

Thanks
    @ ChrisP and Lee. The card arrived and it is indeed the duo. The only reason I can't really use this at present is that my PSU only has 1 PCI-E power connection (which would have been OK for a standard 7950GX2). Everything else in my sys is ready to go (plenty of room and cooling, and a compatible mobo).

I notice that you are bundling the 750W PSU (which not only is modular but also is higher wattage than mine) with the card for little more than I paid for just the card. Is there any way that I could just pay the difference and get the PSU? Alternatively, I guess I could return the card and re-order the mix-it bundle, but this seems rather wasteful to me.

Your thoughts ...

Ginga

Thanks
    GingaNinja,

Please PM me your invoice number / real name and post code and I will look into this for you

Regards

Thanks
    PM Sent

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    Would this card work with the Asus P5W DH? Just i might change my order to include the current mix it offer only £67 more.
    Last edited by spazman; 01-08-2006 at 12:13 AM.
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisP
    This card is dtected as a 7950 GX2:-

The only difference is the length of the card and HDCP but is still a 7950 GX2 card. I will make the specifications a little clearly on Monday highlighting these differences.

However if you are not happy with the restrictions the length of the card may impose we can arramge a return for you.

Regards
    @ChrisP. Sorry to go on, but I completed the returns form yesterday and received a response stating that the product I received is a 7950GX2 that is incorrectly labelled (not a geforce duo, as stated on the card itself), and therefore I couldn't return it. I was of the understanding that you would accept returns of these cards based on the misleading product description. (The card clearly is not a true 7950GX2, although I accept that it is functionally almost the same.) Can you help?

I'm gutted really. If I'd just waited a little longer and seen the mix-it bundle I'd have been quite happy with this card (as opposed to a true 7950GX2) and PSU, but as it stands my current PSU can't handle the card, and I can't handle the additional expense of a new PSU. Hence, a return is my only option.

Ginga

Thanks
    PM sent

Thanks

Thumbs down Misadvertised 7950GX on Scan Website

Hi, I ordered the LN13666 the other day, thinking I was getting a 7950GX2.

What I received, as people here have, is a 7900GTX GX2. Having spoken to XFX, these are not the same cards as mentioned elsewhere.

Now, I know that the latest drivers detect them as a 7950GX2 functionally, but the reason they have a different designation is that they are totally different products.

For instance, can you SLi a 7900GTX GX2 to a 7950GX2? No you can't. If they were the same as Scan claim, that would be possible, and is where my real problem lies. If you guys were honest in your description of the product, I as the consumer would be able to make an informed choice based on factual information. The fact that Scan still describes this product dishonestly despite the complaints indicates one of two things;

Either A) Scan is deliberately trying to deceive customers to make a fast buck (not a thought I subscribe to, or they wouldn't be where they are today)

OR

B) Scan has an awful lot of these things and is trying to shift them pronto.

If B) is the case, I would expect that selling them cheaply with the correct description is the way to achieve this and make Scan be talked about in positive terms.

My own experience of Scan (my first) wasn't helped by the fact that the card I received was used. I'm hoping the 7950GX2 promised in the description will get sent to me by return but am I just being hopelessly optimistic?

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    If you want return the card, please contact the Returns department at the following link requesting an RMA number etc and they will assist you further.

The link can be found Here

Best Regards,

Thanks
    Yup, done that on returns No. 141532.

Not too optimistic that I won't just get the same card back - probably even the exact same one I sent back, despite it being used (I wasn't told at any stage about that)

Just haven't had the impression at any stage in my dealings with Scan about this that you guys even think this is a real problem - hence my pessimism.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonebardier
    My own experience of Scan (my first) wasn't helped by the fact that the card I received was used.

Used?

Thanks
    Yup, used.

Anti - static bag was opened and looked used, paperwork inside and label on the A/S bag indicated it had been returned and sent out again, blanking plate was bent through poor packing - whole experience has been a little shoddy to say the least.
    Last edited by Bonebardier; 03-08-2006 at 05:10 PM.

Thanks
    That means that Price Band 6 was used, as opposed to Price Band 5... not that the product was used.

Thread Information