Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Misadvertised Product on Scan Website

Thanks
    If anyone has got their 7900GX2 and can find the setting in the graphics properties/control panel to turn on display on SLI usage (apparantly a green bar is overlaid on the game, showing how the graphics demand is split between the two cards), then please do tell.

Because it's described in the PDF manual you can download with the 91.37 drivers, but the setting just isn't there for the 7900GX2. And I can't help but wonder if it's working properly or not.

Thanks

DM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingmatt
    the setting just isn't there for the 7900GX2. And I can't help but wonder if it's working properly or not.

Thanks

DM
    It's not there for me either. I haven't benchmarked anything, but speeds seem in line with SLI at 1920x1200.

Thanks
    I dont have it either but fear not there are other ways of testing whether your card is working in SLI. Firstly download the prey demo benchmark here:

http://www.guru3d.com/newsitem.php?id=4127

You also need a copy of the prey demo if i remember correctly.

Now run the benchmark and note the results. The latest nvidia drivers have an SLI profile setup for prey, to activate it you need to change the PreyDemo.exe (or whatever its called) file to Prey.exe. Now re-run the benchmark and if you see an improved result then your GX2 is working correctly.

I know these instructions are kind of vague but im doing it off memory, the exact ones can be found on google.

Thanks
    Do we think that the card is running in "Multi GPU" mode (that's how the nVidia control panel displays it), not "SLI" mode, and the driver therefore doesn't offer the SLI visual indicator?

I ran Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, first level, at 1024x768 with all settings maxed and got 100fps solid. Wouldn't go higher (almost like it was VSYNCd but at 100 not 60?). I set the drive to multi display mode, not "multi GPU" and got 60-something.

So I get more FPS in "multi GPU" mode, just wondering why I can't see the SLI visuals to work out which SLI rendering mode is better.

And last night, playing Rise of Legends with all the visual settings maxed and again at just 1024x768, I got fps as low as 20 during a me vs 3bots match. That seemed surprising low, is that just that game? (C2D E6600, 2GB PC6400 4-4-4-12, this 7900GX2)

DM

Thanks
    Well i know for a fact that mine is running in SLI mode although I dont remember what the nvidia control panel display says. To test which SLI rendering mode works best you can change the profiles in the control panel. Lets you switch between alternate frame 1, alternate frame 2 and split frame. Test the game with all 3 and see which is fastest =).

Some games only take advantage of the SLI if you have selected the correct mode. For example prey fps goes up about 60% with Split frame as apposed to alternate frame.

20fps does seem low for Rise of Legends, do you have an SLI profile set up for that game? Also check for patches that might add SLI support.

I can play oblivion with everything maxed at 1280 X 960 at between 30 and 100fps. I never drop below 30. The oblivion patch added SLI support and the game ran noticably faster once i installed it.

Thanks
    i bought myself a new 7900 gx2 and had to get a case for it to fit, my bad i should have realised it was so mahooosive, got it in the case, turned on and got smoke and some beeping but no visuals, long story short, i sent it back to scan over several weeks ago. on the rma history it says replacement, but no invoice number and its been like that for a few weeks now. the card also nolonger exsist on scan's web page. i also haven't had any response to my emails. this order has been frought with general badness. perhaps this is a sign not get this card, or maybe no to use scan.

Thanks
    • Philipp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ROG Impact
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 550W RMX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Node
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" ROG Swift
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 20Mb
    Funkysnail

Please PM me your returns number (RMA) and ill have a look into it for you,

Regards

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipp View Post
    Funkysnail

Please PM me your returns number (RMA) and ill have a look into it for you,

Regards
    cheers
    sorry for the above rant, i'm a nice guy really

Thanks

Im feeling bad

After shopping around on the net for a 7950 found scan to have best pric.
    moded my case to be able to fit this huge card thinking all the 7950 are this big. but yesterday after the card had just died on me, found out that what I bought was not a 7950 as advertised but a 7900. which when I ordered the mmix it bargin (huh) on july 31st was not clear. just requested an rma from scan and hope they will take it back (usualy great service).I'll keep you posted about the reurn.
    By the way I spent a day modding my starwars case that I imported from the states for this if I knew their is a (short) 7950 I woud not touch my 300 pounds case.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information