Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASUS P5W Deluxe Very Hot Motherboard Temperatures

Jay
    Thanks

ASUS P5W Deluxe Very Hot Motherboard Temperatures

Asus Probe is always telling me that the motherboard is overheating, it reached 50 oC withing a few minutes and start at boot at 30 oC

I think its the southbridge, if i put a fan near it it drops the temps by 10 oC.

anyone else having this trouble?

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!
    I didnt have the delux model, just the p5b standard, but i had the same problem, Asus probe(and bios) told me my conroe(6300) was running at 56 on low load, and a peak of 66 under stress. Sent it back to scan, they tested it all out told me it was fine, returned it to me and i tested it here and low and behold it was.

Under heavy load it idled at around 63-64 without any problems, desbite being a few degrees over intel's limits(61), so made me think it was just being recorded wrongly. Try stress testing it with a 3dmark05 or prime 95 and see if its stable, if it is something over heating it should crash before any dammage is done. If not it will be covered by warrenty(dont quote me on that, but thats what i was told when i asked around on my overheating problem). If all seems stable your best bet is to ensure you have plenty of cooling and just leave it.

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=82525
    http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=82532

Only thing i can think of it being was the thermal paste, as it needed to be replaced when i got the chip & mobo sent back to me. It was the only thing that was changed during the whole process.

Carefull if you do send it back to scan though, if they find it isnt faulty, it will cost you £25+. I sent my PC case back with the mobo & chip because it was very poorly made so my charge was taken off, but keep it in mind when you consider taking it back.
    Last edited by Andeh13; 16-08-2006 at 07:59 PM.

Jay
    Thanks
    thanks

this is not the CPU that is running hot though. Its either the north or southbridge on the board

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    check that the northbridge heatsink is actally making contact with the northbridge. even with a good heatsink on it, the northbridge runs very hot, but its worth checking the contact. i posted a pic of mine in a thread in the hardware section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Guys was wondering what coolers you are using on the conroe CPU and if any of you are using the conroe retail version or the conroe OEM version

In the past Previous Intel retail CPUs had heat sync already attached to the CPU, as i have not built a PC for a while i don't know about conroe.

If this issue only appears on conroe OEM versions would this narrow down the problem to thermal paste install not being correct or the heat-sync is not up to the job?
    Last edited by julian.day17; 17-08-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    not the heatsink for the cpu, the northbridge heatsink, the small square one in the middle of the board with the heatpipe coming from it. take that off and see if it was making contact properly.

the heatsink that come with the retail cpus is a bit rubbish to be honest, quite loud and not very effective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    stupid betond belief.
    You owe it to yourself to click here really.

Thanks
    Mine isn't having this problem at present. You've probably already done this, but make sure the copper heatsinks on the Northbridge etc have their plastic cover removed. It's quite hard to spot at first, but there are 3 copper parts with a plastic sheath over them to prevent damage during transport.

If you missed that, it would likely explain the temperatures.

Thanks
    There is this debate onmany forums around the globe but the reality of it is that most asus boards do fib about the temps.

As long as you are taking all necessary precautions , such as a fan to keep everything cold , even a fan over the mosfet that you get with most asus boards , also tweak the vcore to what it exactly needs on the northbridge which will also reduce heat and dont keep it auto.

Manually tweak everything and then at all the hotspots you find place a fan which will solve the problem. but that said if you dont you will be covered by the warrnty and it should be all ok.

The thing you will notice is before there wasnt that much emphasis on these things and with new applications all these new complications arise.

Also sometimes the BIOS you are using has the CPU and chipsets a wee be more overvolted. This brings temps up .

Overall the temps are exagerratted a wee bit by the BIOS and the aplication , dont worry about it too much , also let the heating compound settle which usually takes about a month thats for the cpu and the and reduce the MCH a bit and check iis stablity with prime
    Last edited by nope; 17-08-2006 at 02:59 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    Guys I just found out Zalaman has a new northbridge cooler the ZM-NBF47. Its shaped in a semicircle with no fan
    Has anyone tried one of these on an asus board and does it make a signifficant difference?

Thanks
    Madshrimps have done reviews on the northbridge check there and see if you can see the one you have bough,

However i do remeber a zalman one.

Thanks
    Jay what case do you have?

Jay
    Thanks
    Kandalf

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nope
    There is this debate onmany forums around the globe but the reality of it is that most asus boards do fib about the temps.

As long as you are taking all necessary precautions , such as a fan to keep everything cold , even a fan over the mosfet that you get with most asus boards , also tweak the vcore to what it exactly needs on the northbridge which will also reduce heat and dont keep it auto.

Manually tweak everything and then at all the hotspots you find place a fan which will solve the problem. but that said if you dont you will be covered by the warrnty and it should be all ok.

The thing you will notice is before there wasnt that much emphasis on these things and with new applications all these new complications arise.

Also sometimes the BIOS you are using has the CPU and chipsets a wee be more overvolted. This brings temps up .

Overall the temps are exagerratted a wee bit by the BIOS and the aplication , dont worry about it too much , also let the heating compound settle which usually takes about a month thats for the cpu and the and reduce the MCH a bit and check iis stablity with prime
    I pretty much agree with this. Asus probe is not the best at telling the truth

As long as your case is adequately cooled you are fine. Remember, there are people running the exact same hardware in countires that have far hotter ambient temps than the UK, so there is plenty of tolerance built in to cope.

Thanks
    Try connecting the small cooling fan that came with the board - works a treat. Also reseat the NB and SB with some Arctic Ceramique or AS5 - take that horrid gunk off of the coolers
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    This is driving me mad - finally built my new PC and despite splashing out on an Antec P180b case and Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro as I was specifically aiming for a quiet PC, I'm getting 45degs on the motherboard almost all the time according to PC Probe II, but I'm loathe to turn the fans up any further. This is when it's completely idle, I've barely got anything installed let alone running!

I've seen a thread on Anandtech's forums which says that PC Probe is more accurate than the BIOS readings...

DM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingmatt
    This is driving me mad - finally built my new PC and despite splashing out on an Antec P180b case and Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro as I was specifically aiming for a quiet PC, I'm getting 45degs on the motherboard almost all the time according to PC Probe II, but I'm loathe to turn the fans up any further. This is when it's completely idle, I've barely got anything installed let alone running!

I've seen a thread on Anandtech's forums which says that PC Probe is more accurate than the BIOS readings...

DM
    I wouldnt eworry till they are about 55c

You get a fan that you can stick near the mosfets and that does bring it down by about 4c.

Its the design of the board and you look carefully its not as goodly designed as the gigabuyte quad DS6.

What happens is both the PWM chips and northbridge do get very hot especially when you are gaming and the board has built up more hotspots if anything.

You will see across forums about this , also the foam sheild you get should not be placed under the board , that is for the boards that have these problems , they get worse with it.

If you dont have heating boardf problems then the shield is a good thing.

If you are worried clamp a fan over them but i dont see you getting worried. Write to asus about it , if you still think its bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information