Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Asus T3-p5g965

Thanks

Asus T3-p5g965

Hello all, just wanted to share some information regarding this product SCAN are stocking. I was looking for a nice living room PC on an Intel based platform, and i spotted the ASUS T3-PH1 (Scan code: LN16216). Checking out the ASUS website for this product, i was amazed, so instantly it went in my cart:

- Asus T3P-5G965 BBONE SYSTEM
    - 1Gb (2X512Mb) CorsairTwinX XMS2
    - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 775
    - Asus DRW-1608P3S Black 16x16 DVD±RW
    - 2x320GB Western Digital (Not RAID edition)

The system itself is great, easy to setup, P5B based motherboard and the BTX platform is very quiet and silent. Asus did a good job in the layout of the case too, so you can fit the CDROM and 2 HDD's in very easily. However, there is NO USER MANUAL in the box for this system, just a quick setup guide. Asus hasnt made one yet!

Booting the system up, my first shock came when i realised there is NO RAID options in the BIOS, or anywhere. The website claims there is RAID. Major dissapointment there.

Installing Windows, everything is fine, the system is fast, quiet and very stable. However, for those looking to use Optical out (TOS Link), i gotta tell you that ITS NOT WORKING. I think the reason for that is the Soundmax drivers are just really really crap. There is no option anywhere to enable or disable this! Even the analog 5.1 is not that awesome.

On another note, the FRONT CARD READER has no drivers yet either, so its just a nice decorative item for the time being, so that can't be used.

Lastly, for those wanting to hook up to an HDTV, the onboard G965 graphics card doesnt seem to support custom resolutions (i.e. 1360x768), so you are stuck with 1280x768 as max, or just buy a graphics card.

Other than these problems, which if ANYONE knows any solutions to i'd apreciate your input, this system is amazing, stylish and silent! If ASUS fixes these issues then this system will be amazing. Too bad for the RAID!

Also, well done to SCAN for stocking this so soon, however, it seems to be something like an experimental project by ASUS. I did email ASUS regarding these issues, but all they replied was to RMA it, and i dont want to RMA everything after i built it, just because of some lame drivers, but if any SCAN people know that a new revision of this comes in, queue me up for a relpacement!

No links because im not allowed to yet, sorry!

Thanks

Unhappy

I got this response from ASUS when i asked what to do regarding the issues above:

Dear sir/madam,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
    My name is Penny. It's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

Please contact your dealer and let him test T3-P5G965 for you. If the problem still exists, please let him send the system to ASUS RMA, we will test it and help you to resolve the problem. Sorry for any inconvenience.

If you have any problem, please refer FAQ(Frequently Asked Questions) or contact us again. We will try our best to help you.
    http://support.asus.com/faq/faq.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Sincerely,

Penny
    ASUS Customer Service Center(China)

I've had some more issues with it now, some unknown devices in Device Manager, and some oher PCI communications device. There are no drivers for these on the included CD. Also, the ASUS DVD writer doesnt burn anything, just wasted 3 DVDs.

I dont want to take everything out and return it, its a lot of trouble. Does SCAN have any advice? Should i just wait for ASUS to sort themselves out?

Thanks
    Try install the Ai-Booster, this will remove the unknown PCI device. And did you install the chipset driver?

Thanks
    Ai Booster is not supported on this mainboard, says the installer. It didnt come with any Ai stuff on the CD either, but i did manage to install it as ATK0 110 ACPI utility, but it seems like every other reboot the machine stops working.

Seems like this product is getting worse. All i can do is sit and wait for ASUS to update the drivers and bios it seems, and no response from SCAN here im thinking it might be an overall faulty system! I wanna burn some DVD's! :S

Im sticking to my original claims though, aside from all that, this would be a perfect system if the bugs were fixed

Thanks
    Blimey! Looks like I've had a lucky escape on this one!
    Been after this since the start of September and spotted it on the Scan website last week and only didn't order it immediately 'cos Asus had got two names for it and 2 specs for the PSU - Acidmax is the PSU 300W or 250W?
    I see that Asus have dropped the T3-PH1 name now.
    Got back today from a 4 day holiday in wet, wet south west spain and only didn't order 'cos I was locked out of my house for 3 hours! Then luckily I found this post.
    The details on the Asus website about this barebones are shockingly poor.
    The product is just not ready, and not complete yet!

Just seen that on the Asus support forums they have at last created a T3-P5G965 subforum, but as at 20:09 on 26th October no one has yet posted. I got some goodish help on there for my A8N-VM CSM build.
    Hope you get your system sorted.
    I might have to rethink doing a Conroe mAtx build. Back to gazing at uninspiring cases for Friday for me then,

Thanks
    Well im glad i could at least help someone I've got the 250W one, the voltages are very stable so far, especially the +5 even with 2 HD's. Of course, the IDE channel failing, the optical out not working, no RAID and the front card reader not working kinda ruin the whole thing. I would RMA it but ill wait for Scan to see if they get a new version of it. Its kinda weird for a manufacturer to release such an incomplete product. Maybe they are planning some BIOS updates or some sort of miracle to fix everything

Have you found any decent mAtx snedger?

Thanks
    Thanks for confirming that the PSU is 250W.
    Asus advertise it as a feature that you can fit a PCIE graphics card and 250W is going to be a bit low, unless the PSU is 99.99% efficient - I don't suppose, that if you get the case open soon, you could post how many amps on the +12V?
    I thought that I had seen others with IDE problems and after a quick search I found some info http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us
    Probably not totally relevant, but who knows?

Have you looked at the Asus P5B-V and P5B-VM manuals - they have similar specs and might give some clues.

I think that the Antec Fusion case looks just about perfect for an HTPC, but my "client" doesn't like it.
    The Antec NSK1300 looks pretty good until some reviews tell you that a PCIE card won't fit without cutting bits out of the interior.
    Thought I liked the Aopen G325, but not sure about solely case cooling with the PSU fan.
    Lian-Li have got a couple of very good looking mAtx cases, might look at them again.

Might be a while before Asus sort this one out, but will be a good systems then!

Thanks
    I was actually planning on getting a GFX card, 7900GS, will let you know if things burn, but it cant be that bad with this core2!

Nice cases, but ready made solutions are so much easier. If you can wait longer im sure more 965 platforms will appear!

Thanks for the link, it didnt help, the drive detects fine, just doesnt burn right. Will test it more thoroughly this weekend and see if i can get everything refunded or some :S

Thanks
    Ah, new XFX 7900GS 480M and reconnecting internal connectors for SPDIF sorted OPTICAL OUT issues and proper HDTV resolutions. IDE issues persist, perhaps after format tonight things will be working. No updates from ASUS either!

Thanks
    Acidmax
    Just popped onto the Asus downloads and see that there are two BIOS download versions - I thought that I only saw one the other day. The date on the latest version is a while ago and doesn't appear to directly address your issues - but might help.
    Have you already got the 0308 BIOS?

Seeing as you are definitely cracking open your case - could you please post the +12V amperage?
    Cheers
    snedger

Thanks
    I've updated the BIOS, nothing seems to have changed, except for the issues of course mentioned in the change log. But still no RAID etc. There are even some spelling errors in the bios

Regarding the +12V amp rating, im not cracking it open yet, but i will let you know snedger if i do!

Other than that, im looking into silencing my 7900GS atm Im pushing the limits of this little thing!

Thanks
    Acidmax,
    I'm on the verge of joining you in that oh-so smelly brown river, with no means of propulsion.
    My shopping list is similar to yours - would you mind temporarily being an Asus salesperson?
    - optical drive. is there loads of room, or would installation have been easier with a reduced length drive?
    and what colour would fit in best?
    - case cooling. I can't see if there is any preinstalled cooling. Is there any? Is there anywhere to add fans? What do you reckon is needed?
    - cpu cooling. is there room for a big CPU cooler? did you use the stock intel solution?
    Cheers
    snedger

Thanks
    Im glad to see you are interested after all It does look good sitting behind my TV!

In terms of optical drive, i'd go with a standard beige white, cause its only exposed when you eject and having a black one (like i do, dont ask) looks odd!
    Case cooling isnt really needed because its a BTX case and the airflow is quite optimal. The CPU cooler is already included, its an ASUS BTX solution which works quite well, runs at about ~1050RPM even when i play Company of Heroes and never goes loud unless you use both cores at 100% for a few minutes. So i'd go with the OEM processor that doesnt include the cooler, saves you some money!
    Also considering there is no RAID, you could just go with a large drive rather than two smaller ones, and expand later!

Maybe you can get Scan to check what PSU is included with the rest of their stock, as mine is 260W and im pushing the limits with it!

Thanks
    regarding the PSU: if you check out the power usage in the Hexus review of quad core then you'll see that duo is about the limit for this bbone

Did you try playing CoH with the onboard graphics?

Thanks for info on the optical drive. I'll get a beige NEC that does labelflash.
    For the HDD, A 250Gb Samsung will be more than sufficient.

Just going to see what come up on "Today only" and then put the order in.

Thanks
    Yeah it is the limit for it! But it works so far, so its alright! CoH with onboard, as compared to the 7900GS?! Lets just say the eye candy was not even there with the onboard!

Let me know how your setup goes! My friend recommended this to me:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=3851&s=1

Hmmm...

Thanks
    I got my purchasing team to order in the new T3 as we are going to be making a gamer system based around this. As soon as i saw it on Asus' site i got my guys on the case.

We should have the new AM2 V3 version in by the time this is posted and maybe a system ready for this shortly.

Thread Information