Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: The famous 'Why We Don't all Drive Mondeo's' thread...

Thanks
    • hitman67's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Something
      • CPU:
      • AMD 64 x2 4200+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB DDR Dual Channel
      • Storage:
      • 200gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nividia Go 6100
      • PSU:
      • ColorsIT 400w
      • Case:
      • ColorsIT Cool Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Compaq 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 1mb Broadband
    The thing is Audi have been sticking that Engine there for so long now they know how to set it up to work, I bet the first ones to use that were awful but as they made more they kept getting better until now they are amazing.

I was lucky enough to Drive an RS6 on Silverstone once and the kind of speeds you could pull it into corners in was amazing, Every part of me was wanting to brake but the car held and shot round like you would not belive, It doesn't feel like a large estate when driven hard.

The New RS4 is pretty hot as well, but my heart lives with the RS6 Avant.
    Last edited by hitman67; 04-02-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    [: O |=====|O :] Beyond Fashion Since 1948

Quote Originally Posted by XTR
    Ford Focus - I’m a boy-racer disguised as a sensible office worker at the weekends I'm a curry monster!!
    Correct apart from the working part

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MES
    Did they? Germans, see. World domination...
    Cosworth where split up. Audi own 'Cosworth Technologies' IIRC. They where responsible for the RS6 engine although it won't carry the badge.

Fox
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman67
    lol IMO the RS Line are gods in the motoring world, they get from a V8 what some struggle from a V10. The RS6 Avants 0-60 was under 4 Seconds for 2 tonnes of Family Wagon, now that's impressive. Plus it could be tuned to 670bhp and a top speed of 210mph!
    Thats becuase they were twin turbocharged - not belittling the acheivement, they were awesome cars, but it's hardly suprising a twin turbo V8 could equal a V10 in terms of power output

BMW 530i Sport | Ford Mondeo Ghia X RSAP

Thanks
    • hitman67's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Something
      • CPU:
      • AMD 64 x2 4200+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB DDR Dual Channel
      • Storage:
      • 200gb Samsung Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nividia Go 6100
      • PSU:
      • ColorsIT 400w
      • Case:
      • ColorsIT Cool Case
      • Monitor(s):
      • Compaq 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 1mb Broadband
    Yeah I know there BiTurbo, I just think when you look at the size and shape of the car, and look at the performance figures it's nothing short of spectacular.
    [: O |=====|O :] Beyond Fashion Since 1948

Quote Originally Posted by XTR
    Ford Focus - I’m a boy-racer disguised as a sensible office worker at the weekends I'm a curry monster!!
    Correct apart from the working part

Thanks
    Huge A6 manages to fit a V8 in the front?

Well I never.

Thanks
    • Butuz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z77 MPOWER
      • CPU:
      • I7 3770K @ 4.6
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS 1866
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3xR9 290
      • PSU:
      • be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10
      • Case:
      • Inwin H Frame
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
    What a silly thread! Noones mentioned that Nissan 0wnz0rd j00r w0rld. I look so cool when i drive my sports coupe in amongst all these ford mondeos that i almost want to get out and shout out loud "HOW COOL DO I LOOK YOU BOARING SUCKERS!!!!"

I said "almost"..... if i wanted to shout out loud "HOW COOL DO I LOOK YOU BOARING SUCKERS!!!!" i would buy an Audi TT instead

Buy whatever floats your boat, and sod everyone else that what i say.

Butuz

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    I look so cool when i drive my sports coupe in amongst all these ford mondeos
    I thought you had an s14?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz
    I said "almost"..... if i wanted to shout out loud "HOW COOL DO I LOOK YOU BOARING SUCKERS!!!!" i would buy an Audi TT instead
    Well you could, but then you wouldn't know how fast you were going, how much fuel you had, the time or even how hot the car is Did consider getting one for a major conversion, until all the reports of instrument failure.. They handle like crap stock too..
    But then, most Audi's do - even the RS' are built for motorway lugging rather than corner hugging perfection. It's only recently that Audi have even began to setup their cars for UK roads..
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

www.5lab.co.uk
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox
    Becuase I think the 7 looks quite dated now, especially the front end, and I love the E39. Plus the 7 is dog slow in 6 cylinder form.

i'm sorry, but

you're saying you want to spend MORE money on a OLDER car with LESS kit which is SMALLER because you like the way it looks?????

i'm sure someone's got a golf you can buy..
    hughlunnon@yahoo.com | I have sigs turned off..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangel
    Well you could, but then you wouldn't know how fast you were going, how much fuel you had, the time or even how hot the car is Did consider getting one for a major conversion, until all the reports of instrument failure.. They handle like crap stock too..
    But then, most Audi's do - even the RS' are built for motorway lugging rather than corner hugging perfection. It's only recently that Audi have even began to setup their cars for UK roads..

hmm.. the dashpod failure is very rare (consider the UK is the TT's biggest market)... and the handling pretty good - I found the grip levels, steering feedback etc. much better than expected considering the poor press - but as you said it's happier at high speed doing proper bahnstorming... I'll have another one day, a 4WD... I think the RS' manage pretty well, even on UK roads...

what will you convert instead?
    Last edited by J4MES; 06-02-2006 at 04:30 PM.
    http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    ...because you like the way it looks?????

i'm sure someone's got a golf you can buy..
    a common factor when choosing a car methinks...

...and my Golf ain't for sale

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MES
    hmm.. the dashpod failure is very rare (consider the UK is the TT's biggest market)... and the handling pretty good - I found the grip levels, steering feedback etc. much better than expected considering the poor press - but as you said it's happier at high speed doing proper bahnstorming... I'll have another one day, a 4WD... I think the RS' manage pretty well, even on UK roads...

what will you convert instead?
    I hear dashpod failure isn't rare at all - both from owners and the trade but perhaps there's just more of it in East Anglia Damn expensive to replace too Didn't the story even make Watchdog the other week?
    TT's rubbish for handling IMHO - at least if you're looking for a two seater sports car rather than a pose-o-mobile(tm). Even the 'hot' version with the clever DSG system is rubbish in anything but a straight line (although the 'launch control' is fun to play with). But I digress - it wasn't built as a car for someone like me, moreover a car for people to buy as an alternative to something like a 320ci All badge and no trousers! No different (to my mind) the last-model S3 which got panned road a track by the FWD Leon Cupra R.
    RS' are big cars - and they feel it (i'm talking last series as i've not driven anything that recent) and again they're aimed at a different market - most sold are avants which are basically load luggers for well-to-do gentlemen (and priced as such). Audi openly admit they want to improve their current range on UK roads - they're now doing extensive testing over here in response the critism.

What would I convert instead? Tricky. If I want something really hairy i'll go for an old-style Ibiza (1.8t) and stick and IHI in it (along witha pelican diff to get the power down) as a few have already done. I might even be tempted to convert the leon depending on whether i pick up another car in the next couple of weeks. It's amazing what you CAN do with FWD (although noone believes it until they drive/ride in one with a proper diff) thesedays, but of course 4wd is preferable if you're thinking of pure traction and neutrality. Personally, for everyday driving i'm not keen on RWD - though the steering 'feel' is usually better, it's usually less forgiving in bad conditions (and i'm no F1 driver which doesn't help..). Then again, people do take nice light cars like the elise or even the old MX5 and do some fun stuff to them
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Fox
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 5lab
    i'm sorry, but

you're saying you want to spend MORE money on a OLDER car with LESS kit which is SMALLER because you like the way it looks?????
    Nope, facelift 7's are, generally, not cheaper than facelift 5's and like I said, there is quite a performance difference between them - the 728i takes over 9 seconds to hit 60, you need a 740 or a 750 to get proper performance, and you won't find a 2001/2002 750iL for less than the price of a 2001/2002 530i.

BMW 530i Sport | Ford Mondeo Ghia X RSAP

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard
    I'm with Rave.. I think the E38 is simply HOT It's MASSIVE... and FAST in V12 form

I've seen a couple... Including when I was stuck on the motorway for an hour and a half not moving cos of an accident, and a woman in an E38 V12 had flattened her battery by leaving the lights on Had to help find the terminals under the bonnet (battery in boot)

I would own one now, or in a couple of years if I could afford the running costs (unlikely). I don't need anything remotely that big or luxurious, it's totally unnecessary, but I just... want one.

I drove an E38 V12 for 6 months, and yes, starting the bugger was a lottery

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dangel
    ... Then again, people do take nice light cars like the elise or even the old MX5 and do some fun stuff to them
    we'll have to agree to disagree on the TT handling then...

having had 3 MX-5's, a TT and now the Elise, I'd stick with a Leon - the 5 doesn't feel that special, you're not a TT fan anyway, and the Elise has it's limits (unless you get the Toyota engined one)... if you go VAG I think you'll find a bigger marketplace for parts/tuning, especially as the Germans go nuts for it... don't get me wrong, the k-series is fine, and tunable, and the '5's engine is completey bomb proof (and you can get >200bhp from the 1.6) but... well, I'd take the TT, so I guess you might be happiest with a Seat Leon...

Thanks
    You can drop a VAG 1.8T 20V engine into an Elise easily enough as I understand it. Best of both worlds?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread Information