Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 360 or PS3?

Thanks

Re: 360 or PS3?

Quote Originally Posted by Barrichello View Post
    I own both a PS3 and a xbox 360 - would you care to elaborate and clarify how i am a fanboy of the former?
    Just from this one thread we have the following.

PS3 or a console with a 70% failure rate - don't think i need to spell it out
    70% failure rate? where did you make that one up from? If you was going to make a proper comment on this thread, posting reasons why he should choose a PS3 over the 360 would have been better. But none of your posts had anything like that, why should anyone listen to your view when your not actually putting a view across?

Plus if we all wanted more clarification that your a Sony fanboy we only have to look at your sig, a Sony gamertag, plus text telling us you have a PS3 (as if we need telling) a Sony amp and a Sony screen.

Has all the piri-piri! GeorgeTuk's Avatar
    Thanks

I tend to ignore Barrichello now, he is and has been a vocal Sony fanboy for a while. There are a few that hang out here, most leave when they realise this is a pretty balanced set of forums but some remain.

Stealth Geek - And Proud!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    i'm not a fan of the "good games later" approach.
    That approach is fine providing there are enough good games to play while you wait for the later quality. Also, flagship Nintendo first-party titles are not just good games, they are (usually) the very best games you can play.

and right now, honestly, it's a struggle to find must-have games for the wii that warrant the sticker price.
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers Charged Football, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, and Trauma Centre: Second opinion are all worth the sticker price.

6 games that everyone will enjoy isn't bad, could add Wii Sports, Wii Play, Madden '08, Wario Ware... brings it up to 10 games. The VC games - small matter of some of the best retro games ever... throw in a few GameCube classics.

I think its fair to say that anyone buying a Wii today, even without the big hitters still to come, will be ok. And for many gamers, those not 15 years old who wear beanie hats, the new 3D Mario is the biggest game that will come out for this entire generation of consoles, so having the console which will let you play it is handy.

In short, I don't think there is an argument that buying a Wii right now is a bad idea because you will run out of quality gaming experiences and end up twiddling your thumbs.

As for the fanboy arguments, whoever is at fault, by constantly throwing fanboy claims at each other, you all drag yourselves down to the level of bickering children. 'Fanboys' have no credibility when they post their rants, its easy to spot from 100 yards, you don't need to post a reply shooting it down, it never got off the ground in the first place.
    Last edited by Stewart; 20-08-2007 at 04:09 PM.

Thanks

it's a games' worth
    Or two if you dont mind going preowned at somewhere like GAME/Gamestation
    You might even be able to pick up 3 of the older games of Ebay for £30....
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart View Post
    That approach is fine providing there are enough good games to play while you wait for the later quality. Also, flagship Nintendo first-party titles are not just good games, they are (usually) the very best games you can play.
    often.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers Charged Football, Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz, and Trauma Centre: Second opinion are all worth the sticker price.
    the last monkey ball game sucked, so i'm unable to get excited by the latest one. nor a football game. zelda and super paper mario, i'll give you (i keep forgetting that's out). and generally:

6 games that everyone will enjoy isn't bad, could add Wii Sports, Wii Play, Madden '08, Wario Ware... brings it up to 10 games. The VC games - small matter of some of the best retro games ever... throw in a few GameCube classics.
    hang on, did you just say something good about madden? O_o and who plays wii play after the first yawnfest?

i might be skewed on VC, since i already own most of the best on the original silicon.

I think its fair to say that anyone buying a Wii today, even without the big hitters still to come, will be ok. And for many gamers, those not 15 years old who wear beanie hats, the new 3D Mario is the biggest game that will come out for this entire generation of consoles, so having the console which will let you play it is handy.
    [blasphemy]mario sunshine sucked. i can't get excited about mario galaxy[/blasphemy]

In short, I don't think there is an argument that buying a Wii right now is a bad idea because you will run out of quality gaming experiences and end up twiddling your thumbs.
    many forum threads suggest otherwise

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Quote Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
    Just from this one thread we have the following.
    70% failure rate? where did you make that one up from? If you was going to make a proper comment on this thread, posting reasons why he should choose a PS3 over the 360 would have been better. But none of your posts had anything like that, why should anyone listen to your view when your not actually putting a view across?

Plus if we all wanted more clarification that your a Sony fanboy we only have to look at your sig, a Sony gamertag, plus text telling us you have a PS3 (as if we need telling) a Sony amp and a Sony screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeTuk View Post
    I tend to ignore Barrichello now, he is and has been a vocal Sony fanboy for a while. There are a few that hang out here, most leave when they realise this is a pretty balanced set of forums but some remain.
    I am purely speaking from personal experience, and being an xbox 360 and a PS3 owner I feel qualified to do so in this thread. I meant 30% which is well published and known about, the 70% was a approx to my personal experience (3 repairs so far) call it a Freudian slip maybe on the amount of time it has been out of action If my views are not to your liking then I am happy you want to ignore me – to the best of my knowledge this is a public forum for posting ones opinions, nobody forces you to read or agree with them.

More importantly, the irony is not lost on me that the majority of xbox 360 owners who are quite happy to lament and ridicule the PS3 with impunity while obsessing over their xbox 360 feel comfortable calling me a fanboy. Prior respondents in this thread to myself criticise the PS3 unchecked, yet when I make a post to the contrary I am jumped upon like I have insulted their deity. A Priceless contradiction in its purest form

7. Received thanks from:

gtech (20-08-2007)

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

I am purely speaking from personal experience, and being an xbox 360 and a PS3 owner I feel qualified to do so in this thread. I meant 30% which is well published and known about, the 70% was a approx to my personal experience (3 repairs so far) call it a Freudian slip maybe on the amount of time it has been out of action If my views are not to your liking then I am happy you want to ignore me – to the best of my knowledge this is a public forum for posting ones opinions, nobody forces you to read or agree with them.

More importantly, the irony is not lost on me that the majority of xbox 360 owners who are quite happy to lament and ridicule the PS3 with impunity while obsessing over their xbox 360 feel comfortable calling me a fanboy. Prior respondents in this thread to myself criticise the PS3 unchecked, yet when I make a post to the contrary I am jumped upon like I have insulted their deity. A Priceless contradiction in its purest form
    there are good reasons to own a ps3. right now, however, none of them involve games. it's a better HD player (let's face it, blu-ray has won), it's quieter, it has a lower reported failure rate, it has more scope for tinkering. it just doesn't have any games to warrant buying as a games console yet. that and the pad sucks, the ui sucks, and online sucks.

Banned
    Thanks

Hex - Sunshine didn't 'suck', it was a fine game. Better than most others. Sunshine is average only when compared to other Mario titles - as a stand alone game (if for instance the same game was released with a different character, ala american Super Mario Bros 2) it would be well recived.

If you can't get excited about Galaxy, a game described by IGN E3ers as "perfect" and "the most fun to be had in any Mario game" then you is dead innit! Nailed on game of the year. Game of next year actually. Very probably game of the next 5 years. At least.

As for Madden - I wouldn't play it, but it did get fine review scores, and is apparently quite good... I suppose being American or at least liking Yanky Football would help though.

I missed Metal Slug Anthology as well... thats worth a blast.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Hex - Sunshine didn't 'suck', it was a fine game. Better than most others. Sunshine is average only when compared to other Mario titles - as a stand alone game (if for instance the same game was released with a different character, ala american Super Mario Bros 2) it would be well recived.

If you can't get excited about Galaxy, a game described by IGN E3ers as "perfect" and "the most fun to be had in any Mario game" then you is dead innit! Nailed on game of the year. Game of next year actually. Very probably game of the next 5 years. At least.

As for Madden - I wouldn't play it, but it did get fine review scores, and is apparently quite good... I suppose being American or at least liking Yanky Football would help though.

I missed Metal Slug Anthology as well... thats worth a blast.
    metal slug with tacked-on motion controls?

that's a game that demands a proper man-size joystick, and you know it!

anyway, i learnt to start ignoring reviews a long time ago, when people started gushing about turok 2 or FEAR or other such drivel

Banned
    Thanks

There at least, you are right. The problem with these fanboy arguments, is that, as 99% of them are between people who illogically big up which ever console they own, whilst slaging off the other one, there is no real debate; no real chance of anyone changing their mind. Just a constant stream of point scoring.

Also, its impossible to reply to them without sounding like someone who cares too much, and is just as bad.

Course - everyone could stop doing it, and realise that because you own a PS3\360, you don't have to prove you made the right choice every 10 seconds, by bitching like a child about whichever one you didn't buy.

Fat chance though.

Hex - Metal Slug is best played with the classic pad, as the motion controls need to be ignored for best enjoyment.

Never try, never fail!
    Thanks

If you don't have a HDTV, get a Wii. Actually get a Wii anyway. You will save many pounds, get to use the first console since forever that isn't the same as the last console with twice the power, and have the likes of Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Smash Bros to look forward to.
    And have almost nothing to play until then. My wii is gathering dust at the moment but im pretty sure its due to a lot of developers thinking the wii was going to flop and now they have realised the mistake has been made and are getting busy.

Im hoping the game drought sorts itself out soon as its getting pretty dusty

Banned
    Thanks

Apart from all the games I just listed, you are 100% right!

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

there are good reasons to own a ps3. right now, however, none of them involve games. it's a better HD player (let's face it, blu-ray has won), it's quieter, it has a lower reported failure rate, it has more scope for tinkering. it just doesn't have any games to warrant buying as a games console yet. that and the pad sucks, the ui sucks, and online sucks.
    In response, i think its strange to say online sucks? when

a) Works fine for me - countless games of motorstorm with no issues/drop outs.
    b) its free

Please elaborate on your personal experience on your PS3 that leads you to this conclusion?

In regard to the pad - i much prefer the PS pads to the xbox ones. If you mean the rumble feature i personally have no issue with it - neither does the wife

Games wise - Tekken dark res\Ninja Gaiden Sigma/Motorstorm/The Darkness keeping me more than happy.

15. Received thanks from:

gtech (20-08-2007)

Never try, never fail!
    Thanks

I find a lot of them are 20 minute games though, where they get turned off after looking for a deeper experience (excluding zelda).

Monkey ball is ok for single player, but the mini games just arent as good as the small selection in the original game, they have completely butchered monkey target (which i thought was the best).

Warioware is also pretty good, but lacks any longevity and when my mates come round they get frustrated as the microgames often dont give much indication on what to do for a few go's and its a lot of trial and error for a party game.

Trauma centre is just a port of the ds game (already played it)

Mario strikers is great but the online is a snore fest of glitches and the computer is no fun to play, leaving it only as a game to play with mates

Paper Mario looks ok, but is meant to be fairly short from what i have read and a touch easy (true?)

Resi Evil i already have on the gamecube

So thats why my wii is suffering maybe a bit more than most peoples

Banned
    Thanks

Hmm.

I'd say if you don't like any of the games considered to be the best avalible at the moment on the Wii (or any other console) then you've bought the wrong console.

Thats a fine collection of games you've dismissed for one reason or another... the Wii is a great choice for most people, as its cheap, the games are great, and its more than a box that has more power than the last box - but if you don't like the games and don't play it much, sell it.

Thanks
    • steve threlfall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Core i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD6870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX750
      • Case:
      • Antec P280
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 WFP 24" Widescreen, Rev A04
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 120/12 mb

I own both a PS3 and a xbox 360 - would you care to elaborate and clarify how i am a fanboy of the former?
    It is inferred by your constant berating of the 360, at every given opportunity and your apparent joy, in more than a few threads, at the news of the reliability issues.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information