Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Farcry..."what the firefox" is up with the lighting?

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks

Talking Farcry Thread: awesome game!!

just got Farcry (yay!) - thanks to daveham's awsome bargain hunting skills - but on the first level - as in, THE FIRST THING YOU SEE, it looks horendously bright and just so so wrong. I'm meant to be in a drain of some sort but its lit up like god knows what? I've no idea whats going on but it seems as though everything is backwards, shadows = light and vice versa.
    anyone able to shed some...erm...light on whats going on?

p.s. if you haven't got it yet GO NOW, its a game pack from Simply.co.uk, 6 for 9.99 includes farcry, splinter cell, prince of pursia, lego? and starsky& hutch...
    Last edited by shiato storm; 04-03-2005 at 11:26 AM.
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    I would say patch it up to version 1.31 mate (mind you version 1.1 may actually do you and avoid version 1.2 like the plague, that was the patch that was pulled due to causing major problems), may well resolve all the problems you are having.

Thanks
    I have the same problem. I never tried fixing it before but I'll give the patch a shot.

Thanks
    Yeah the patch fixes it, thats what happened to me. Went to 1.3 and the crazy yellow lights were gone. I picked up my copy before chirstmas tucked away in the virgin megastore sale for £6, bargain. Haven't played it much though, too much half-life2 and counter strike.
    Cheiftech Matrix/xp 2600@ 2.3ghz/ Abit NF7 v2/1gb GEIL value dual channel pc3200@ 2.5-3-3-6/XFX 6600gt/80gb Western Digital boot disk/80gb maxtor for storage and games/LG cdrw/Nec 3500A

Thanks
    hmmm...ok, but the patch is hooooge!!

Thanks
    ok, so i started downloading the update 1.3 but underneath where you get it theres a huge list saying 'known issues'...
    and there are a lot of them!

how can a game 'so good' have so many issues?? :mind boggled: !

Thanks
    I patched up to 1.3 before I even started and played right through the game with zero issues.

Thanks
    ok, playing it now

absolutely amazing!!
    what res you reckon i can get it too comfortably 1132 or 1024?

Thanks

A Truely Awesome Game!!!

right, here's how I got on.
    never played HL 1 but seen my bro playing it and at first I thought it was similar in style, then I saw the cut scenes! eyes, lips and facial expressions moving around! how far we've come. The game play seems a mix of HL and No one lives forever, in that its quietly confident in maintaining the suspense but there appears to be an edge of humour to it all; guards shouting etc. There's also the aspect of driving as a first person shooter - which I think was first on the pc in NOLF (?) - and it seems to work quite well, despite being on an island there's bags of space to fly around in, and get up enough speed to do some damage! And if a jeep/buggy doesn't work I can always shoot up a few inept guards and steel a boat! or a hang-glider!!
    Which brings me onto world detail, its wonderful. I started out at 1024 resolution and thought, na not that great. cranked the resolution up one notch...i almost cried. palm trees sway, grass - individual blades of grass - blow gently as you near them. water laps serenely at the shores of an idilic island. I could feel the rays of sunshine beating down on me from there. There's just the slight problem in that some plonker has littered it with inept guards and lots of firearms...careless that! I haven't a clue about fps I was at, sufice to say it was smooth as a baby's bottom, movement was easy and fluid - still need to get used to the controls a bit, and the default keys has one of them right the way over on the num-pad(!) so i'll need to spend a moment sorting that out.
    I find the realism quite staggering too, and not just how it looks but how the whole environment acts. Our character can only carry 5 weapons at a time, good thinking i reckon, when on earth are you ever going to be able to carry a rocket launcher, 2 automatic rifles, hand gun, sniper rifle and a machette all at once? point made. on the shooting side of things its almost there but could be a touch more sensible, on numerous occasions I emptied entire clips at one person only to have to reload and shoot a couple more times to finish them off. Now I know they may be wearing armour of some sort but it was a little confusing at first - though since I have been aiming at heads with much more rapid results. In one of the first sections I shot some guard in a tower in the head with enough force that he toppled backwards off the top - bit of a matrix 'Dodge this' moment in fact; gun to head, blam, bloke goes flying...it was all rendered in stunning eye candy which, dare I say it, glorified death a little!

I don't know how long I played for last night, I didn't want to stop, each part just led so naturally onto the next that it draws you in. I can't hear a word that guy is saying on that mobile phone type thing, incredibly quiet most of the time, and if I pushed the volume up I'd wake the neighbours with gunfire(!), unfortunately he hasn't got his own volume control...so far he keeps directing me to come and meet him and I've been shot at/blown up/run over - he's a cr*p tourguide tbh and I've still not met him! I am also a teeny bit myffed about how it all got started; his boat got rocket fired seconds after his bird jumped on a jetski (where was she going and what were they doing there in the first place?) then he's running through some woods being chased by some funny looking creatures and wakes up (having swum all the way from the boat underwater) in a drain?! bit random but you have to start somewhere I guess.
    I have got just past blowing up the radar tower, so god knows how far that is in the game, but I've picked up info that some dude is creating gentic monsters of some sort(?) and is going to use his DNA to try and form a link to stabalise them. So it sounds like its getting a bit HL-like but I could be wrong. its all quite absorbing and I had to stop otherwise I'd have got no sleep at all!... so, yup decent game. haven't tried the others in the pack yet but will do shortly...if they're as good as this one i'm n for a treat!

farcry = awesome game, goes well with UT and UT2004. (whats the farcry multiplayer like?)