• See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    news flash: a typewriter and UI research project were not designed for playing first-person shooters.

it wasn't well into the life of quake 1 that the idea of mouse aim really became at all popular

keybaord & mouse work well for the genre because developers have made them work well, and because they're ubiquitous. there's no reason you can't play a fun first-person game without.
    I don't think we're disputing that they _can_ be played without - more than it's a better control system as they're simply isn't a device with comparable granularity and acceleration as a mouse in console land. Sure the keyboard's nothing special (aside from having a vast array of keys at hand) but the combination of the two is a clear winner. In contrast, some game types (platformers) naturally suit a gamepad - and (newsflash) on the PC you've got the option of both..
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    Playing FPS on a console just takes getting used to. I've been a PC gamer for many years and when I first got Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter for my Xbox 360 I hated it, just couldn't see how anybody could use the given controls. Alas, after a lot of practise it began to feel completely natural and I wasn't missing my keyboard or mouse at all.

There's no doubt that a keyboard and a mouse is a great and probably the best way to control an FPS. However once you're accustomed to a joypad they aren't half bad either.

The console FPS genre does have a lot of benefits though. Every player is using almost identical controllers, has almost identical graphics and it's generally a fair and even playing field.
    The PC is quite the contrary, everyone has a different config, no fog hax, aimbot, wallhax, 3000dpi mice with 20 buttons. Not to mention it's hard to get a kill without the opponent shouting "OMFG HE HAX!!!!!1!1!1".

I might be a the only one but I hope they don't release an Xbox 360 keyboard and mouse.

Thanks
    • JimNastics's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb
      • Storage:
      • About 750gb me thinks...
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA ACS3 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • IDNet 8mb
    Quote Originally Posted by dangel View Post
    and (newsflash) on the PC you've got the option of both..
    Which then leads onto the obvious question, why on earth have Microsoft not released an optional keyboard and mouse for their consoles? It seems such an obvious thing to do in todays climate. I think there were rumours of this happening (same with PS3) but nothings been confirmed... I just can't understand it. I watched a video yesterday of someone showing off the Wii interface, in particular the instant messaging system - he used the remote to point and click on mobile-phone style keys to type out a message and I just sat there thinking "if only...".

Staying on the subject of the Wii, I certainly think it looks fantastic in general but the jury's still out on FPS's as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking forward to giving Red Steel a go, but from what I can tell the only way to spin the camera is to point the remote to the side of screen, at which point it turns at a set speed. We all know that with a mouse, you can spin 180 degrees in a split second... vital in the heat of battle.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS
    Quote Originally Posted by JimNastics View Post
    Which then leads onto the obvious question, why on earth have Microsoft not released an optional keyboard and mouse for their consoles? It seems such an obvious thing to do in todays climate. I think there were rumours of this happening (same with PS3) but nothings been confirmed... I just can't understand it. I watched a video yesterday of someone showing off the Wii interface, in particular the instant messaging system - he used the remote to point and click on mobile-phone style keys to type out a message and I just sat there thinking "if only...".
    "peripheral" input devices rarely see any use. they're annoying to buy, and annoying to use. how many games use the gamecube bongos? or the ps2 guncon2? or the xbox dance mat?

Staying on the subject of the Wii, I certainly think it looks fantastic in general but the jury's still out on FPS's as far as I'm concerned. I'm looking forward to giving Red Steel a go, but from what I can tell the only way to spin the camera is to point the remote to the side of screen, at which point it turns at a set speed. We all know that with a mouse, you can spin 180 degrees in a split second... vital in the heat of battle.
    you use the nunchuck, AFAIK.

Thanks
    • JimNastics's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb
      • Storage:
      • About 750gb me thinks...
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA ACS3 8800GTS
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2005FPW
      • Internet:
      • IDNet 8mb
    Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post
    "peripheral" input devices rarely see any use. they're annoying to buy, and annoying to use. how many games use the gamecube bongos? or the ps2 guncon2? or the xbox dance mat?
    I would have thought a keyboard + mouse combo would be far more desirable and highly sort after compared to all of those, if at a decent price. I'm of the opinion that MS, Sony and Nintendo are all missing a trick by not bundling these in as standard and including a decent, highly functional integrated browser... I could see that being a massively popular feature amongst the public. Couple that with the ability to use the messaging system with a QWERTY keyboard, use text-chat in game, use the mouse + keyboard combo for FPS games and others where this argument is equally as valid such as god-games like The Sims, and you're on for a winner. It's a no-brainer I reckon.

you use the nunchuck, AFAIK.
    I've only seen videos of it in action, but from what I can tell the nunchuck is used for forward and back and strafe left and right... the remote is used to spin and look up and down by pointing at the relevant part of the tv.

Thanks
    • Lee`'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D
      • CPU:
      • i7 950
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600GT
      • PSU:
      • 700W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407fpw + samsung 205BW
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb unlimited
    Well when Shadowrun comes out for the PC and the 360 we shall see, but from this article from the shadowrun team it seems the controller was the more powerfull tool.

Of course this test is specific to that particular game it seems the controller was superior due to the fact it had more accessible buttons than the keyboard+mouse. I wonder if the people using the mice had 5 button mice?

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    I would have thought a keyboard + mouse combo would be far more desirable and highly sort after compared to all of those, if at a decent price. I'm of the opinion that MS, Sony and Nintendo are all missing a trick by not bundling these in as standard and including a decent, highly functional integrated browser... I could see that being a massively popular feature amongst the public. Couple that with the ability to use the messaging system with a QWERTY keyboard, use text-chat in game, use the mouse + keyboard combo for FPS games and others where this argument is equally as valid such as god-games like The Sims, and you're on for a winner. It's a no-brainer I reckon.
    I agree - if anything it might make me want a '360.
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    You guys seem to be forgetting where game consoles should be. The vast majority of us on here spend a lot of time in front of a PC on a desk due to us being computer users.

I go to my mates houses and the consoles are hooked up to TV's in living rooms and bedrooms. Go to my girlfriends sisters house and their kids PS2 is sat on the floor connected to TV in a play room, while they sit back on the couch.

Don't think a mouse is very comfortable to use on your lap.

Thanks
    Having been an avid FPS-er for years on end since I can remember (Castle Wolfenstein/Doom etc) and also always owning consoles, I can say that mouse + keyboard is awesome for FPS. It's fast fluent and accurate - very accurate.

But using a controller (in my case still learning) is pretty cool. Plus a controller doesn't tie you down to a desk staring at a screen a foot away from you. You can sit back on the sofa and relax whilst dying a lot against people who can use the controller
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruJockStrap View Post
    You guys seem to be forgetting where game consoles should be. The vast majority of us on here spend a lot of time in front of a PC on a desk due to us being computer users.

I go to my mates houses and the consoles are hooked up to TV's in living rooms and bedrooms. Go to my girlfriends sisters house and their kids PS2 is sat on the floor connected to TV in a play room, while they sit back on the couch.

Don't think a mouse is very comfortable to use on your lap.
    I don't disagree - in fact I agree entirely. It'd just be nice to have the choice tho

Thanks
    • Mblaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS PK5 Premium
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Intel X25 SSD + WD 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GeForce GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P180
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP w2207 (22" wide)
      • Internet:
      • Rubbish ADSL
    I'm pretty sure there was a mouse and keyboard combo available for the original XBox, saw it advertised in banners on some gaming websites. I was so temped to buy one to beat down my mate on Halo, but since I don't actually own an XBox I didn't bother.

I played a fiar bit of Halo but still sucked at it. You just can't get the same accuracy or speed of movement from a control pad, too many times I've died while waiting cause the 180 degree turn takes so long. Plus I was just **** at aiming with a control pad so that didn't help

Although I do aggree that a mouse and keyboard doesn't really fit the idea of a console, playing while sitting on the floor/couch with a bunch of people on the same screen, I still hate FPS's with a pad

it seems the controller was superior due to the fact it had more accessible buttons than the keyboard+mouse.
    That's a hell of a controller if it's got more accessable buttons that a keyboard/mouse combo

I have a 5 button mouse, plus the scroll wheel, and on my keyboard, not including WASD, I have 10 buttons I use as keybinds.
    I don't mean to sound cold, or cruel, or vicious, but I am so that's the way it comes out.

Thanks
    • Lee`'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6X58D
      • CPU:
      • i7 950
      • Memory:
      • 4Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8600GT
      • PSU:
      • 700W
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407fpw + samsung 205BW
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb unlimited
    The controller is designed to give players quick and fluid access to all the games controls
    Sorry, I was meaning to words to the above effect. I do recommend the article that I linked to though.

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kempez View Post
    Having been an avid FPS-er for years on end since I can remember (Castle Wolfenstein/Doom etc) and also always owning consoles, I can say that mouse + keyboard is awesome for FPS. It's fast fluent and accurate - very accurate.

But using a controller (in my case still learning) is pretty cool. Plus a controller doesn't tie you down to a desk staring at a screen a foot away from you. You can sit back on the sofa and relax whilst dying a lot against people who can use the controller
    agree but you cant ever ever turn as fast with a joystick as you can with a mouse. plus your thumb is no way near as accurate as your whole hand, i played cs on the xbox and almost cried its dire. no point playing imo.i used to like it but now i have seen what a differnce using a kboard and mouse makes when your agood at it il never ever look back

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by harry1 View Post
    agree but you cant ever ever turn as fast with a joystick as you can with a mouse. plus your thumb is no way near as accurate as your whole hand, i played cs on the xbox and almost cried its dire. no point playing imo.i used to like it but now i have seen what a differnce using a kboard and mouse makes when your agood at it il never ever look back
    Ye but I don't play a console to win - I play it to have fun. Whereas I play CS:S to whoop some ass
    Check my project <<| Black3D |>>
    Quote Originally Posted by hexah
    Games are developed by teams of talented people and sometimes electronic arts

Thanks
    • MadduckUK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 1x480GB SSD, 1x 2TB Hybrid, 1x 3TB Rust Spinner
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX750w
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Evolv mATX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SJ55W, DELL S2409W
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 80
    http://uk.xbox.gamespy.com/articles/565/565000p1.html

there we go. its a bit of a hack job tho but from what i can tell it works ok. id expect to see something similar for 360 at some point

an official one would be nice tho. just give us
    and a keyboard
    but in white, with green underneath (apart from the sensor)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephesians
    Do not be drunk with wine, which will ruin you, but be filled with the Spirit
    Vodka

Banned
    Thanks
    Having been a PC gamer for more years than I care to remember and a dab hand at FPS's, I've grown accustomed (nay attached) to the mouse + keyboard combination control system, as I'm sure have most of you guys. A few days ago I played COD:2 on the 360 for the first time, and it has compelled me to start a thread asking:

"Why would you play an FPS on a console?"

It's horrible. Completely horrible. How on earth ANYONE can willingly go from playing a PC based FPS to attempting to play with a joypad on a console is far beyond me... it felt ridiculously restricted and unnatural and I admit that I completely sucked, the people watching must have thought I was a grade-A nub, which I guess I am when it comes to console FPS's. I heard recently that Microsoft are toying with the idea of allowing 360 and PC owners to play against each other online... are they kidding me?! It would be some immensely biased towards us PC gamers, I can't believe even the greatest 360 players out there would have a hope in hell against your average PC player, let alone the l33t PC players.

A lot of people have said that COD:2 on the 360 is the best game out for the console, it makes me wonder if these people have even played it on a PC, and whether or not they know what they are missing. On the other hand, maybe the question is... am I missing something?
    amen! Consoles should stick to non fps games... I really feel sorry for some friends who just think they console is so great... they just don't know how the pc would send their junk into oblivion

In fact I would go as far as saying consoles feel a step backward rather than forward.

Graphics, Sound, Networking, Precision etc are all so far ahead... it's almost annoying
    Last edited by AlCapacino; 31-10-2006 at 08:34 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information