View Poll Results: Global warming

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Something - we must act now

24 48.00%
  • Nothing - The earth is fine

26 52.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Global Warming - something or nothing?

Thanks
    • NovaSphere's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x2Gb PC2-6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 640Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus ENGTX260 896Mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec Three Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2043BW

Re: Global Warming - something or nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by revol68 View Post

All i;ve seen on this thread from the deniers is conspiracy and poor conjecture mixed with a laissez fair attitude that doesn't think anything is an issue until it's directly facing them.
    This last thing is I think the main problem lol

"Out of sight, out of minds"
    "what doesn't effect me noticeably, isn't there"

Which just came to my mind, as many people thinking global warming is nothing, they come with the argument "earth and it's atmosphere is in a cycle, it's supposed to get warmer and than eventually cool down"
    Might some of those people explain, if not the greenhouse gasses are causing the global warming. What is causing the natural changing of the earth's atmosphere within this cycle?
    Last edited by NovaSphere; 06-08-2008 at 02:59 PM.

Thanks

Does it really matter if the human race becomes extinct? Dinosaurs were on the earth far far longer than we have been, we are but a tiny dot in comparison!

The only reason we worry is we are self aware and intelligent enough to try and do something to help ourselves. We don't have a right to exist on this planet, we just happen to.

If we get wiped out, as the dinosaurs were, the earth would recover and something else would emerge.

No big deal really.

Thanks
    • educatedfool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Infinity CFX3200/AM2
      • CPU:
      • AMD AM2 X2 6000 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB Patriot DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500Gb Sata II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD2900XT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • 900W Tagan
      • Case:
      • Antec 900, better than a hoover
      • Operating System:
      • XP32 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 22" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb BT

Global warming is happening, no doubt about it. The cause of it on the other hand is a matter of debate. The earth has been heating and cooling for millions of years. We are at the end of an ice age as it stands.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by j1979 View Post
    the video from youtube shows water flowing to the Don. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKPop...eature=related

OK agent it hardly rained at all that day! and it was all due to poor drainage??? the wicker is NOT a flood plain!

what the man and yourself fail to understand is that were is supposed to drian to ? the lowest point of the city center IE the river don, is already full! it was'nt jst the river Don, it was the Sheaf, Rivlin, Loxley. and all the brooks and streams the all burst.

It has never happened before and been recorded by humans!
    You're missing what I'm saying here, even though I've already said that I'm not trying to say this incident is entirely down to poor planning.
    You say the water is flowing to the Don - Okay, but what do you think is going to happen when a water from an existing flood reaches a river that has already flooded?

The entire region was under a lot of pressure from water. This has a knock on effect on everything from natural drainage (like rivers) to man made drainage systems.

But as I said in the previous post - do you not agree that the majority of flooding in the UK, even now, is down to poor planning and building on floodplains?
    "Evidence" such as "This is the worst flood I've ever seen" doesn't mean anything. Even when we use past records, they only go back a few hundred years. With something as complex as Earth and being about 4.5Billion years old, it makes drawing a conclusion like this very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    Agent, please could you quote my whole reply rather than just the introduction. I completely agree that scientific "facts" are "made" by arguing. I am not saying that people shouldn't question established beliefs. That would be the complete opposite of science and innovation.
    I didn't really see the point in quoting the entire post as I was only referring to that bit.

Intended or not, a comment like "ignore established facts and drive an already pointless argument" certainly implies that you think anyone with an opposing opinion is putting ideas forward that are "pointless" without examining them.

My problem with this thread is that people seem to support a view that is not shared among the vast majority of the scientific community around the world.
    Why is it an 'problem' though?
    If someone can make a point and backup what they are saying - let them. If they are wrong and / or have missed something, hopefully someone will put their view forward and correct them.
    It only takes one person to think differently to start a revolution.

I would like to hear a valid argument as to why global warming should not be an issue for our generation instead of rants about bad civil engineering.
    There isn't one to my knowledge, but then again I have never implied that. My posts were aimed at encouraging discussion of the issue from both sides, rather than having the usual dismissal of anyone with a different opinion on the Global Warming issue.
    In my opinion, its one of the most serious issues that's around at the moment and needs to be discussed about in length. But you only need to look through some of the posts on this forum to see the issue which is so common with the global warming debate - anyone who has the slightest disagreement with the theory or questions one of the almost religious fanatics on the subject will simply be brushed off as an "idiot". I've never seen such responses anywhere else in an area of science (well maybe religion )

I'm far from anti global warming, I just don't want this thread to turn into a soapbox for people to dismiss others without them backing up what they are saying (Which should be very easy for the global warming lobby given all the evidence out there)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 99Flake View Post
    Does it really matter if the human race becomes extinct? Dinosaurs were on the earth far far longer than we have been, we are but a tiny dot in comparison!

The only reason we worry is we are self aware and intelligent enough to try and do something to help ourselves. We don't have a right to exist on this planet, we just happen to.

If we get wiped out, as the dinosaurs were, the earth would recover and something else would emerge.

No big deal really.
    well in that case you won't mind someone calling round your house and drowning you and the people you know in the bath?
    what sort of muppet could claim human extinction is no big deal? I mean even the ability to relativise human history within the grand scheme of the earth or the universes history requires a human perspective.

Hey the holocaust, no big deal...

seriously why are so many tech nerds misanthropic dicks?
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by revol68 View Post
    well in that case you won't mind someone calling round your house and drowning you and the people you know in the bath?
    what sort of muppet could claim human extinction is no big deal? I mean even the ability to relativise human history within the grand scheme of the earth or the universes history requires a human perspective.

Hey the holocaust, no big deal...

seriously why are so many tech nerds misanthropic dicks?
    You are missing my point, of course I would mind if someone went out of their way to kill me, it is natural instinct to survive, hence why people get worked up about things like global warming.

What I am trying to say is global warming or not the human race will die out one day. A large meteor strike or other such natural disaster would put paid to us.

But as before the important part, Earth, the only planet we know of that can sustain life will survive and life will evolve again.

We are just animals like any other species that comes and goes on this planet. It is natural, it is a cycle and as an intelligent species we would be grossly presumptuous to think that we deserve to be around for ever.

Thanks
    • NovaSphere's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2x2Gb PC2-6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 640Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus ENGTX260 896Mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520W
      • Case:
      • Antec Three Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2043BW

No big deal really.
    A bit off topic but when I read this you reminded me of this;
    https://www.operationimmortality.com/

Take a look, it's rather interesting if not funny to see/read lol

Some comments stated inside (you'll get what I mean when you watched it)

Humanity - Aliens 1:0

Live long and prosper.

I love you.

They say if u play Microsoft CD backwards it has satanic messages on it.Heck thats nothing,play it forwards and it'll install windows!!

Hope to see you soon!

Drink lots and lots of Keiths Beer it will make you happy and feel good!

A life ? COOL! Where do I download one of those?

WOOHOO! IM IN SPACE! Dont worry,not all humans are idiots!

No fat chicks

Did we survive?

Silence,i KILL YOU!

Im Kirk,James Kirk.

The windows one is nice lol

a scumbag, arghhhh
    Thanks

You are missing my point, of course I would mind if someone went out of their way to kill me, it is natural instinct to survive, hence why people get worked up about things like global warming.

What I am trying to say is global warming or not the human race will die out one day. A large meteor strike or other such natural disaster would put paid to us.

But as before the important part, Earth, the only planet we know of that can sustain life will survive and life will evolve again.

We are just animals like any other species that comes and goes on this planet. It is natural, it is a cycle and as an intelligent species we would be grossly presumptuous to think that we deserve to be around for ever.
    Right so you actually have nothing interesting to say whatsoever, fantastic.

Tell me when people talk about the holocaust do you pipe up with this kind of irrelevant misanthropic crap? "Oh well 6 million dead is nothing, all human life will probably get wiped out eventually".
    "The less you eat, drink and buy books; the less you go to the theatre, the dance hall, the public house; the less you think, love, theorise, sing, paint, fence, etc., the more you save – the greater becomes your treasure which neither moths nor rust will devour – your capital. The less you are, the less you express your own life, the more you have, the greater is your alienated life, the greater is the store of your estranged being." Karl Marx

Thanks

I get your point completely; after all, we are just another species on an insignificant speck located in a mediocre galaxy floating somewhere within another super-cluster.

But even so, do you have no regard for the survival of our species? Do you not want to do something to make it that much easier for our descendants to discover time travel or un-paritcles or god's ass poking through a hole in the universe? Are you just content to let our built up knowledge just die and accept it as another climate casualty?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    I'm far from anti global warming, I just don't want this thread to turn into a soapbox for people to dismiss others without them backing up what they are saying (Which should be very easy for the global warming lobby given all the evidence out there)
    I assumed everyone would know the basic gist of why (reportly) global warming is happening. That is why I didn't bother quoting an IPCC paper explanation CO2 and emissions and farting etc. However I did quote an extract showing the academies of science that signed the paper and agreed that the findings were, as far as they know, correct. I think this is sufficient evidence that CO2 is causing the increase in temperatures that we are experiencing. And I feel that this is sufficient "evidence" to "backup" what I am saying.

Thanks

Shouldn't it be climate change rather than global warming.... cos it aint really getting hotter in the UK.
    If anything its UK wettening.

Mike Fishcake

I find that the larger the size of the engine in a person's car, the less likely they are to agree with the existence of man made global warming.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Why is it an 'problem' though?
    If someone can make a point and backup what they are saying - let them. If they are wrong and / or have missed something, hopefully someone will put their view forward and correct them.
    It only takes one person to think differently to start a revolution.
    The only "backup" I have seen from climate change deniers is that "the Earth naturally gets hotter and colder" or "the Earth is coming out of an Ice Age". This completely misses the point in that it still implies that the climate is going to change. It is widely accepted (see above post) that the climate is going to change dramatically in the next century, so I don't see how a natural change would be any better (or less worrying) than a man-made change.

Let's assume that the connection between global warming and CO2 emissions are a lie and that the multitude of evidence (see above post) is really caused by Earth coming out of an ice-age. Ice caps are still going to melt, ocean currents are still going to change and cities are still going to buried beneath the sea. How can anybody say that things are going to be OK just because CO2 or methane or nitrous dioxide didn't cause it? Global warming is a big issue for us regardless of what caused it. It's the fact that it's happening that's important.

Lol I'm not targetting you Agent, you just have very good quotes to help illustrate my point.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Fishcake View Post
    I find that the larger the size of the engine in a person's car, the less likely they are to agree with the existence of man made global warming.
    I find the larger the size of the engine the bigger the grin on their face and the smaller wallet they have

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    The only "backup" I have seen from climate change deniers is that "the Earth naturally gets hotter and colder" or "the Earth is coming out of an Ice Age". .....
    Which is exactly what my posts are aimed towards. It doesn't matter which side you fall on, "pro" or "anti".
    People posting "anti" global warming posts without backing up what they are saying are no better than people from the "pro" lobby calling them idiots without looking at anything that they may post.

The last post of yours is very different to your first post claiming its a "pointless argument" to disagree with current "facts" - Although in fairness your latter posts make me think that we actually have the same point of view on this, now you've expanded on the first post
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks
    • educatedfool's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Infinity CFX3200/AM2
      • CPU:
      • AMD AM2 X2 6000 3.0Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB Patriot DDR2 800 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500Gb Sata II
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD2900XT 512MB
      • PSU:
      • 900W Tagan
      • Case:
      • Antec 900, better than a hoover
      • Operating System:
      • XP32 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer 22" Widescreen
      • Internet:
      • 8Mb BT

All this gassing on about it and discussion all over the internet, whilst interesting (some), has done very little to help stop it, infact it has probably done more harm.

But it appears to be in our nature to rabbit on about sh*te rather than actually do anything constructive.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information