Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Internet Explorer 7 Release Date!

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    yup, and the open source code is what makes firefox a better solution IMHO, seeing as any major vunerabilities can be fixed by anyone with the know-how and access to the source code. Whereas with IE, you've got to wait for Microsoft to pull it's finger out of it's posterior, if it ever does..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    • spazman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte DS3
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB Corsair PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 320gb RAID 0 , 250gb IDE , 160gb IDE, 400bg USB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 7900GX2
      • PSU:
      • 750watt Enermax
      • Case:
      • Akasa Eclipse
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" LCD 19" CRT
      • Internet:
      • Be Unlimited
    I shall never offend my PC again by using IE again, long live FireFox!!!!!
    NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii, GBA, DS, PSone, PS2, PSP, PS3 60gb, XBOX, XBOX 360, Master System, Game Gear, Mega Drive, Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine, Neo Geo CD

Xcelsion... In Disguise. Xaneden's Avatar
    Thanks
    Well, I can't disagree with your open source points, and I am not a great fan of Microsoft. But I still think people are being a bit too complacent with FireFox. Lets face it, nothings perfect, so why do people think this winning streak of security will continue?
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    Oh and guys, its Xcelsion, not Excelsion or Excelsior. Thanks.
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcelsion
    Well, I can't disagree with your open source points, and I am not a great fan of Microsoft. But I still think people are being a bit too complacent with FireFox. Lets face it, nothings perfect, so why do people think this winning streak of security will continue?
    Exploits will be found in Firefox, thats almost certain. The difference is, it will probably be patched a hell of a lot quicker then MS patch their software.

btw Xcelsion, can you please start using the edit button to update your posts, seeing 3 of your posts in a row is getting pretty annoying
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    A few points i'd like to make about things here. Firefox is good for two reasons.
    The first is its not a microsoft product, Microsoft make Very good products and IE is sadly one of its worst. Its security issues have been the cause of huge worldwide viruses being spread. Does IE does what it says on the tin, yes it does. But its downsides are huge because of the holes it has in it.

Is Firefox a better product than IE on a browsing level, to be honest probably not, its marginal at best. I've never been a great fan of tabbed browsing so thats not a big benefit, but what i can do with Firefox is customise it. FireFTP like tumble has mentioned is ACE, easy to use and at my finger tips. IE's inbuilt FTP is the most useless POS that i've ever used, crashes IE very frequently.

The other thing I would say about IE is that on slow/overwhelmed sites IE is useless, won't display anything till the page is complete. Firefox helps resolve this and allows you to at least see what isn't loading.

Anyone signing up to World of Warcraft on the First night will agree with me if they tried both...

On a more personal note, people will quite happily defend a product when they see someone posting so much praising IE7, a product that isn't out yet
    One might even say Xcelsion is a IE7 developer heheh

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Will work for beer... nichomach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • nichomach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom II X6 1055T 95W
      • Memory:
      • 16GB DR3
      • Storage:
      • 1x250GB Maxtor SATAII, 1x 400GB Hitachi SATAII
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 1060 3GB
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 500W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Elite 430
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 20" TFT
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcelsion
    Bluntly, the much vaunted SP2 has in some respects helped with security, but it's not the great cure-all that it was hyped to be. IE7 may be more secure than IE6; I certainly hope that it is, especially since you really don't have a choice about whether you have IE installed or not if you run Windows, and IE vulns will still affect systems whose default browser is something other than IE (thanks, MS, for delibarately tying the web browser in to the OS so deeply that trying to get rid of it breaks your machine, just to sidestep the legal actions around product tying). That said, FF has started out by being more secure than IE, and it shows every sign of going on the same way. No-one's complacent, but as it stands, FF is more secure than IE, period.

Thanks
    Lol, TiG, I can't even program, let alone develop Internet Explorer.... Well, I suppose many people would say Microsoft are in the same situation.

I pretty much agreed with everything you said there TiG, and at the end of the day, its up to everyone whether they prefer explorer integration etc, or customisatione etc.
    New Sig on the Way...

TiG
    Walk a mile in other peoples shoes...
    Thanks
    Sorry Xcelsion, but thats just made me laugh so hard, for someone who has so much to say about security not being a developer/being able to program, Pretty much gives everyone else justification to rubbish your arguement.

The good point you make however is that it IS peoples choice which browser they want to use. I only use IE when i'm required to, Netscape navigator 3.3Gold till i had to use an IE product for work.

But firefox's credibility in the industry is growing and its actually the browser of choice for the company i work at now.

TiG
    -- Hexus Meets Rock! --

Thanks
    Well to be honest TiG, I've not got that much to say about security. All I am saying, is that people seem to think FireFox = Security, and that maybe they are being a bit too complacent?

It feels like I'm repeating myself now, so shall we all get back on topic about Internet Explorer 7, and post any new info we find about it instead of rowing over which browser is best, because we all have different opinions about it.
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy
    I am clueless.

Really truly clueless.

I have to ring people to help me set up a router. I need help with anything that doesn't have a steering wheel.

But Firefox made total sense to me, on day one. Not only do I like Tabbed windows, and love hitting Control and then the link, or pushing the mouse button in on the link, but I find it faster for over 90% of my browsing. The pictures do take a tad longer to load. But when I remember the amount of time I spent having to Cntl Alt Del out of IE becasue it locked up, I stop worrying about it and wait 3 seconds longer.

I love the Tools, I love being able to open ALL the links in one file with one click, as I do with lots of my organised folders. I LOVE the shortcuts tool bar, which I found with no help at all.

But most of all I like the way a Microsoft engineer did a presentation TO Microsoft Staff USING FIREFOX.

It's then that I laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    Lol, Microsoft have a history of using other people's software for their own means. I can't remember where I read it, but the Windows 95 logo was made using Mac OS.

Lets put it this way. When I used ME, Internet Explorer always crashed. But in XP, for me personally, it hardly ever crashes. So for me, I like it.

If other people don't, then thats 100% fine with me. People have given their opinions of why they like FireFox, and why they don't like IE, and I've given mine.
    New Sig on the Way...

Thanks
    i think thats more down to ME being a steaming pile of turd

This thread has made me take another look at FireFox seriously and so far i havent noticed any difference in speed. Although i might just stick with it simply because of the mouse gesture navigation

Thanks
    M$ staff use FF. Fact.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber
    I have completely uninstalled IE from my system now, only use firefox. Got sick of the security exploits on IE that seem to pop up every few days.

Most annoying thing with IE is that I have Norton Personal Firewall on and fully configured but somehow when using IE I get constant pop ups and always getting loads of adware and malware on my system, currently have a malware virus on my system, have removed it loads of times and it just keeps coming back, think its gonna have to be a format to get shot of this one. It shows as iexplore.exe on the current processes list on XP. NAV, Spybot and also Ad Aware cant remove it, when I boot into safe mode and do full system scans with the 3 programs they dont find it at all, damned annoying. Even tried manual removal in safemode but when I boot back up the file it has created has changed its name and back again (Almost removed it at the min as I get a popup when I boot up saying cant find a few things and when the net is left there is no activity showing, its literally an IE exploit)

Think I have got this through poor security on IE hence why I uninstalled it and now just use Firefox.

Thanks
    Erm you can't completely uninstall Internet Explorer, Ferral, its a core part of windows. Many games still require it for its core technology, as do a large majority of programs, including many Windows networking tools. The best you can do, is patch it patch it patch it, then just stop using it.
    Last edited by Xaneden; 16-02-2005 at 04:42 PM.
    New Sig on the Way...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information