Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 49 to 63 of 63

Thread: Heaven: Not so good??

  1. #49
    Pink & Fluffy! Elmo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Glarsgow
    Posts
    3,234
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    6 times in 6 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TiG

    Rising for the dead - well the simple fact that i believe in the afterlife means thats something thats fundemental. If there is indeed something more powerful than us, why is it not possible for someone to come back to life.

    Certainly medicial science allows us to bring people back from the dead now.



    TiG

    the afterlife (TM) isnt really rising from the dead... The afterlife is what happens to you after you die (that no one knows), and coming back to life means you continue to live your life on earth so i dont see how believing in the afterlife means that rising from the dead is "fundamental".

    Secondly, they didnt have defibrillators 2000 years ago

  2. #50
    Sublime HEXUS.net
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The Void.. Floating
    Posts
    11,819
    Thanks
    213
    Thanked
    233 times in 160 posts
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    I'm sure that one day science will be able to fully explain conciousness and spirituality, along with all the other weird stuff that we've not even begun to scratch the surface of.

    Personally I think string theory could have a lot to do with it, seeing as everything appears to be a function of vibrations (mucho simplified..)..
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

  3. #51
    Mike Fishcake
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    Anyway, I believe you should have the right to be religious, you should just never use that right,
    Make your mind up. It's one or the other! You should, but you shouldn't?

  4. #52
    Prize winning member. rajagra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,023
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BEANFro Elite
    But this is where the pickle is, because heaven has everything you can ever want etc etc and is only for good people. What if all wanted was to be with your g/f who is in hell?? Seems kind of mean to me to keep the two separated don't you think??
    That would be an ecumenical matter.
    DFI LanParty UT NF4 SLI-D; AMD64 3500+ Winchester ;
    2x XFX 6600GT ; Corsair XMS3200XLPRO TWINX 1GB;
    Dell 2405FPW TFT.

  5. #53
    Mike Fishcake
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rajagra
    That would be an ecumenical matter.


    "YES! YES!"

  6. #54
    Senior Amoeba iranu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    On the dinner table. Blechh!
    Posts
    3,535
    Thanks
    111
    Thanked
    156 times in 106 posts
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    Its 2005. We have probes on Titan, we have had a man walking on the moon for decades,
    He must be quite tired by now, I think I'll send him a cheese sandwich.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

  7. #55
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,069
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    7 times in 3 posts
    Jesus was real, by the way, he just probably made up the bit about being the son of God. Still, who hasn't done something foolish in their youth to impress a girl, huh?
    Im always telling people that Im a god...they dont seem impressed tbh.
    Therefore we can conclude that chicks do not dig god.
    Religious people dont get the girl. Sad but true.

    Ok so God proved his existance by Jesus etc...why not just do it again to "top up" his existance claim...

    Just send an email round or something? Belief is waning in him, so why doesnt he just let us know he is still around by sticking his hand out of the clouds and pointing at someone or something? Oh no thats right he "can't/won't"...come on...argue your way out of that one. The millenium would have been the perfect time..."Ok guys I've left it 2000years, but here I am! IM BACK!!!"
    Twigman

  8. #56
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    1,041
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    8 times in 8 posts
    • oralpain's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI "Blood Iron" P35-T2RL
      • CPU:
      • Intel Pentium E2140 @ 400x8 (3.2GHz), 1.375v
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 CL4 @ 500MHz (DDR 1000), 4-4-4-12-T2, 2.3v
      • Storage:
      • 2x Seagate ST3250410AS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA 8800GTS (G92) 512 @ 783MHz core, 1836MHz shader, 1053Mhz memory, stock cooling 70% fan speed
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic SS-500GB
      • Case:
      • Antec P182, with some small modifications
      • Monitor(s):
      • ASUS VW222U
      • Internet:
      • Time Warner "Road Runner" Cable - 16 megabit downstream, 1 megabit upstream
    How come Vaul gets to crap on religion, but I can't talk about masturbation?

    Anyway, concerning the dark matter bit, they didn't just make it up for no reason, there is evidence to support it's existance. Dark matter is simply any mass that cannot be observed. It's needed to make all this other stuff work. It's a filler to keep all these other laws and theories (concerning gravity and motion of galaxies and such bassed on the know laws of physics) accurate untill we can find out what dark matter is, or we find something better to replace it with. Thats how science works. It's dynamic.

    I find it alot harder to discount the scientific method (the method is sound even if some of the theories are not) than to discount religion (wich I don't discount entirely, as anything might be possible). After all, science can give a useful solution to almost any problem, eventually. Most religions can only claim that you don't need these secular solutions and should work on preparing for some afterlife. Just think of all the progress that could have been made in the real world if so many people where not so preocupied with this.

    Personally, I see blind faith as being a dangerous hinderance to everyone. Faith casues people to discount any other possibilities, thats what faith is, closing your mind to the idea that you might be wrong about something.

  9. #57
    Senior Member Kezzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,863
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    We'll find out this year if there's an afterlife or not. I kid you not.

  10. #58
    Large Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,720
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked
    99 times in 64 posts
    Is there any purpose Vaul responding to these threads? I think we all know his position already. Although it can't hurt trying to turn the people who seriously believe in this rubbish.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

  11. #59
    Real Ultimate Power! Grey M@a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,625
    Thanks
    52
    Thanked
    156 times in 139 posts
    • Grey M@a's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 7
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K (With H100i cooling)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, 1TB Cavier Black WD HD, 4TB Cavier Black WD HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390X Gaming Edition 8GB
      • PSU:
      • SuperFlower Leadex GOLD 850W Fully Modular
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG 24GM77-B 144Hz
      • Internet:
      • 100MB Virgin Media Cable
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    Write, mate. Not taking English, are you?

    But yeah, I think I am. Fair play, Hell could be Leeds and the Devil could be John Lesley, but push comes to shove, I'm right.

    You are born, you then proceed to 'be happy and don't be an arse', you have kids, you die. Your kids live on, and thats the reason for being.

    Its the fact that people can't accept that, that leads to this nonsense. Mixed with a fear of death and the unknown.
    Want to know the scary thing I studied English through college etc We shall call that one a slip of the old fingers. Your Leeds comment, you're right (got it right this time Vaul ) it is hell, who in their right mind would make the whole city centre a one way system 0.o As for the devil I do believe that is Orville the duck, annoying little bugger.

    Same as Vaul, you are born, you grow, you live your life you then take your ticket and wait in line for your 6 foot apartment under the earth. I don't understand why people fear death in all honesty, you know it's going to happen; you can't stop it, its just a matter of when and how that’s all there is to think about.

    Getting back on track of the whole heaven and hell thing, I honestly believe and see it as this. The bible is and will always be a collection of traveller’s stories that were told over the years and someone documented them. The whole good and evil / heaven and hell thing was a way of striking fear in those many moons ago, this planets early versions of what we call law today.

    I will tell you what, if they are real which is as likely as me marrying Kate Beckinsale I will eat my words. Other than that I see all religion as a bunch of stories to control people. Even worse is when they come to me in the street and try and ram it down my neck, they soon leave me alone.

    Lets look at Christianity shall we, what a load of crap, either these guys dreamed of this crap in their sleep or they discovered LSD all those years ago, Adam and Eve, ok this is almost plausable, man and woman, but we know it was evolution. The talking snakes, I can safely say drugs were in use at this moment of the writing. Rising from the dead, dear god, was George Romero around in this time shooting his new film? I could do this for every religion before you all bible bash me for picking on Christianity, I used it as an example.
    Last edited by Grey M@a; 06-07-2005 at 10:36 AM.

  12. #60
    Hexus.net Troll Dougal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    In your eyeball.
    Posts
    2,750
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    Why do people goto religion?

    Because they want to believe that they have something todo with their lives.

    You try to tell people that they where not put here for a purpose and a massive portion of those people will give up on their lives, not goto work, stop eating and die before their time.

    Religion is there to give people belief in going onwards.

    When religion was first started you have to imagine it as though a board of directors had to find a way to make people more productive.

    One religion won't do, people are not exactly the same, but they all wanted everything based on the same principles. So the Dead Sea Scrolls where born.

    There are probably even older documents that the dead sea scrolls where based on, but they are most likely lost with the ages now.

    When man was a primate he didn't have what we would call intelligent form, he wouldn't be able to question why he was here, he had predators, he had to go and hunt his food. Thinking would not arrive for a long time.

    ANd now in the current society belief is being questioned again, we have reached the level of intelligence where we do not need to be given a reason to go on, we have initiative we can find our own sources of living we want to explore. Search and so on.

    Imagine it as life, when you are a baby you are simple, when you are a teenager you need to be moaned at constantly to do stuff, when you are an adult you actively find something to do and persue it to the end.

    (Sorry for any sexism in this post 100% not intended)
    Quote Originally Posted by Errr...me
    I MSN offline people
    6014 3DMk 05

  13. #61
    Senior Member Kezzer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,863
    Thanks
    12
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dougal
    Why do people goto religion?

    Because they want to believe that they have something todo with their lives.
    Close, but not quite right. I've read a few religious books and recently i read a book on budhism called "the science of self realisation". It was very good and pointed out that the purpose of life was to serve others. The reason you get a pet isn't really for the compassion, it's because you have to feed it, thus serving it. God is someone you have to serve and since he is the all seeing all knowing all loving then he (or she) is the biggest and bestest thing you can serve It satisfies everyone to serve

  14. #62
    LUSE Galant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Gibraltar
    Posts
    3,253
    Thanks
    502
    Thanked
    555 times in 339 posts
    BEANFro I'd just like to know, who says heaven is what you said it was or that it works as you say it does?

    It's not the Christian viewpoint. Nor Buddhist, Islamic, or anything else that comes to mind.

    Seems to me you can't just argue about 'heaven and hell' when all that means is your own notion of what you think it means. If there's going to be a debate on the issue it would be good if we looked at specific examples and teachings.

    Straw man anyone?
    No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. However, many electrons were displaced and terribly inconvenienced.

  15. #63
    Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    next door
    Posts
    6,977
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked
    6 times in 5 posts
    beanfro is in love with a psycho bitch from hell...
    is what I conclude from his first post. personally I'd get out while you can mate!
    Powered by Marmite and Wet Dog
    Light Over Water Photography

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Need a good Team Co-Op style game for 2
    By Zak33 in forum Gaming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 11:31 AM
  2. good or no good idea?
    By mr_anderson187 in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 17-06-2004, 12:20 AM
  3. yeeah im back but it not good at all thx to scan
    By bigjonnyauk in forum PC Hardware and Components
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 22-05-2004, 01:59 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •