Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: why did it happen to me?

Thanks
    Originally posted by DaBeeeenster
    Mate, I think the only reason people flame you is because your posts can be a little antagonistic with respect to cannabis users. Sometimes your posts come across as if cannabis use is the root of all evil in the UK, when everyone knows that the root of all evil in the UK is people drinking 9 pints of Stella...
    Sorry if it comes over like that, I just have pretty strong views bout it cos of what it did to me and my mates. I've written before in QT that if you're an occasional responsible user then I don't have a prob with it. If I wasn't on the phone to my g/f last night I probs would have gone out the back with everyone who was smoking it, just not joined in.

herbalist
    Thanks
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD
    Typical selfish attitude of a drug user! It's all 'me, me, ME!'
    You need to buck your ideas up. You are still a minor. If cannabis were legal, you would still be breaking the law by smoking it, as the age to use it would be 18.
    i was just stating my point of view and experiences, not saying that all other people should act and live by my views.
    good job i'm 18 on sat then aint it, haha. peace.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    Originally posted by Big RICHARD

Drugs do cause harm society, either directly or indirectly.

how exactly?

I take the point that some drug abusers can cause problems, but I dont see how this is any different from prgnancy, some women get pregnant and sponge off the state and bring up 8 kids who will make their neighbours lives hell for the next 18 years (or until they go to prison) other women are responsible and have only as many kids as they can afford (or want). what im saying is that its not all black and white, alcohol causes all those same problems (probably ona much larger scale) and I dont hear you calling for it to be banned. This is probably because you enjoy the occasional drink but your not an alcoholic, dont cause any problems and you dont see any reason to ban it. well, same with spliff smokers.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Thanks
    Personally, I don't have a problem with cannabis being legalized. If the law changes and that the possession of it (in whatever quantity) and the usage of it will not be breaking the law, that's fine. There's certainly sufficient evidence out there to suggest that smoking weed does not cause substantial health problems and that it does not result in anti-social behavior (of the type that we associate in modern Britain, anyway).

However, there's one final hurdle to get over before I'm comfortable with the legalization of cannabis... I know how the model in Holland works - you can physically walk into a shop and buy and smoke the stuff. There're cannabis dealers around that only sell you weed and the implements that you need to smoke it. That's great - an open, unregulated market - weed if freely available and there's no criminality associated with it. Meanwhile, you look back to the UK... Who can you buy weed from?

The problem is that, right now, the very people you can buy weed from can also sell you all kinds of dangerous drugs - ecstasy, cocaine, heroin and other hard drugs. I’m not suggesting that your dealers actually have all of these with him/her at all times. However, they can either get their hands on them with little difficulties or they know someone who can get you what you want (they certainly know the market better than any users). At the point when cannabis is legalized, these very same dealers will be dealing in both legalized drugs as well as illegal ones. How would a first time user of a legalized drug know what to do when the dealer promises him something that gives him/her a better ‘kick’?

It is all about economics and distribution channels. At the point of legalization, the only channels available for obtaining cannabis will be via existing dealers. Until some ‘more open’ channels of distribution become available, many of the dealers will be dealing in both legal and illegal drugs. Moreover, dealers don’t deal in drugs for love, they do it for the money. (And please don’t tell me there’s nothing else for them to do!) When a drug becomes legalized, the profit margins are going to fall, as other forms of distribution come into play. So, what are these dealers going to do to maintain their profit margins? One of the ways is to set up shop to deal in bigger volume. That’s the ‘good thing’ that can happen. However, there’s a darker alternative - they start dealing or get more involved in dealing other higher margin drugs, which are again illegal. Don’t forget, drug related crimes affects the Dutch society just as much as the British, there’re, by proportion, as many people addicted to hard drugs in the larger Dutch cities as there in those in the UK.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

herbalist
    Thanks
    Originally posted by spikegifted
    However, there's one final hurdle to get over before I'm comfortable with the legalization of cannabis... I know how the model in Holland works - you can physically walk into a shop and buy and smoke the stuff. There're cannabis dealers around that only sell you weed and the implements that you need to smoke it. That's great - an open, unregulated market - weed if freely available and there's no criminality associated with it. Meanwhile, you look back to the UK... Who can you buy weed from?
    in Holland, you can only buy weed in coffeeshops, not on the street. the weed you buy is to be smoked either in a coffeeshop or in private. the dutch police look down on and will stop people smoking it in public. they are damn efficient with dealing with the dealers of harder drugs as well (i saw a policewoman dive off a moped to catch a street dealer!)
    the dutch crime stats for addicts is a hell of a lot lower than here, i'll dig out the figures later. plus the average age of heroin and crack addicts is getting higher as kids realise how stupid it is through good education policy (actually giving them facts, not just 'dont do it cos its bad' crap).
    we can learn a hell of a lot from the dutch, its just that our government are too narrow-minded to look outside their sheltered little views. peace.

if war is the answer, then we are asking the wrong question
    2 things i hate the most - xenophobia and the french
    "chuffing"

Thanks
    Why is some ppl feel so strongly about weed? You dont need to bash they guy cause he messed up damn! big deal he smoke a joint! Some of you sound like you need to smoke a joint and relax... i guess some of you are with out sin or have never broke the law in some small fashion... give me a break. next time you screw up make sure you tell the judge that since you broke the law that you think you should be hammered! every one can say he deserved it but wait till you are put in that position, and see how quickly the tables turn

Thanks
    Originally posted by evildoc614
    i guess some of you are with out sin or have never broke the law in some small fashion... give me a break. next time you screw up make sure you tell the judge that since you broke the law that you think you should be hammered! every one can say he deserved it but wait till you are put in that position, and see how quickly the tables turn
    That's the completely wrong attitude towards the rule of law!!

Laws exist in society, simple. They're there not to be bent or pushed and see if you can get away with it. No!! Getting caught breaking of law, no matter how small the infringement is, deserves punishment. That's what the law says. There's no emotion nor prejudice in the application of law.

If you don't want to be caught or punished, there're two ways of doing things: 1) don't break the law to begin with, or 2) break it and try to get away with it. There is a choice. Getting caught breaking the law and then b!tch about it after is just plain naive! If you don't like the law, have it changed if you can. Otherwise, go buy a desert island and live like a king there. If you can't, live with it.
    Last edited by spikegifted; 15-10-2003 at 07:43 PM.
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly. - Batman costume warning label (Rolfe, John & Troob, Peter, Monkey Business (Swinging Through the Wall Street Jungle), 2000)

G4Z
    Thanks
    • G4Z's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb DDR2 5300
      • Storage:
      • 2.5Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte HD4870 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Tagan 470W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dual Acer 24" TFT's
      • Internet:
      • 16mb sky ADSL2
    Well, the reality is if you likely to buy one drug then you may well be inclined to try others, for me this started with... you guessed it alcohol. So I dont think its gonna make much difference to the harder drugs really, I do though think that it would be good to give people the opportunity to go and buy it from a shop rather than have to actively look for a dealer and that may well cut out some people moving on and screwing their lives up but in all honestly people who want to take drugs will take them regardless of its legal status. In america you can get life (in some states) for possetion of weed and yet still lots of people smoke it. I just dont see why the government has the right to tell you what you can and cant put in your body, whatever the circumstances. The only person that decides what I take, is me. It is a misconception that drugs ruin your life, in a lot of cases they can improve your life for the better and really make you look at things in a different way.
    HEXUS FOLDING TEAM It's EASY

Photographer; for hire!! shiato storm's Avatar
    Thanks
    ok, theres some truth in what you're saying. yes drugs make you look at things differently and yes you should be able to decide what you put in your body or not, but lets face it thats not going to convince many people on why drugs should be either legalised or not. but I think you are missing the point and I hesitate in wanting to call you immature in your opinions because you must have some sense of reason in there...

Its all wrapped up in the social problems drugs cause. Ok, so YOU may not be affected adversley towards the drugs you might lay your hands on but no one is the same. some people get all happy and have a good time, other poeple get seriously violent and end up ruining other people's lives - beating them up, rapeing them or even murdering them.
    there's also the money problem - which I know you're about to say "well if they legalised it there wouldn't be a problem"... well you'd be wrong. take an example (though not the same it may be similar):
    America early century; Prohibition. in that time when Alcohol was illegal (drinking, owning etc) more alcohol was consumed than if it were legal. they make it legal again and nothing changes, alcohol consumption still high. think of it with drugs - made legal, now everyone can get their hands on it...its a freeely available comodity that poeple clearly take advantage of.
    its also a lot cheaper which makes it so accessable.
    drugs are expensive.
    if some one who becomes dependant on drugs has no money what do you think they do? hmmm?
    they go and mug/rob etc. to get just that little bit more. they don't go to work, thus claim off benefit, and spend most of their time off their heads (thats addicts by the way). they become a drain on society. Have you ever met or seen a drug addict? have you? to say it is a misconception that drugs ruin your life is so far off the ark you might as have been aiming into space...
    yes they chose to inject/snort/whatever into themselves but look at them now. rock bottom. its a sad sight to see someone like that but they exist as examples of what it really is to have ben affected by drugs.

there's also the issue of addiciton and the dangers of drugs. hardcore users that just consume drugs need more each time round, don't question that - its a fact, the chemicals in each injection start to replace the natural chemicals in the brain and the rest of the body. So much so that you eventually become (here comes the Buzz word) "Dependant". the brain acts differently, so differently in fact that normality is a distant dream to these poor unfortunates. with thoushands of dependants already, just think of the degredation in life if millions ended up like that.

it is known that certain drugs actually kill. if not 'cut' properly the power form drugs can be lethal when a low grade cutting agent is used. you don't hear about it but believe me when I say it, lots of people - addicts - who have taken poorly cut drugs die. their body just cannot cope with even a mild infection or disease because of how thier system has been messed up from continual abuse.

Again I'd accept that in some cases smoking weed has been proven to increase the quality of life for people with disabilities but to use that as a basis towards 'make drugs legal because I choose what goes in my body' isn't strong enough.

if a substance can cause such problems why legalise it?...at least with alcohol you just wake up the next day feeling crap, the effects of ecstacy (for example) last 3 days...