Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 49 to 64 of 184

Thread: 3000 founders edition cards UK

  1. #49
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    10,128
    Thanks
    605
    Thanked
    1,220 times in 1,121 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Yes, there's multiple issues atm, not just fab space, the 6000 series is built on TSMC n7+, but so are the ryzen cpu's, console SoC also Apple and Huawei us it so they are all fighting for fab space, nvidia is using Samsung 8N so it's mainly fighting for fab space with mobile cpu's
    fighting for fab space might be a bit hyperbolic, but it is a potential limit on production.
    Actually I wonder if ms and sony pressure to fix supply shortages of consoles has put gpu production on a lower urgency for AMD as for filling these contracts is of a far greater importance?

    Next we have the secondary component effects, increased demand and reduced production hasn't just effected the chips but all of the electronic components that go onto the pcb, so Bulk capacitor availability and prices could well of gone up effecting price and production.

    crypto mining is still a factor, having a big chunk of demand.

    Increased datacentre/AI demand while not directly effecting gaming card demand, the simularity of components could well be effecting production of gaming cards.

    With high demand and supply shortages, this year we've seen a big rise in scalping, truther adding to the issues.

    But my real worry is that this isn't just a one off storm but an ongoing trend that started a couple of years ago with the whole mining crisis and is just being built on year by year which is turning it into a bubble.
    and if it is a bubble what the heck will happen when it finally pop's?
    back in the 90's early 2000's there where quite a few companies who went under leaving us with this 2 horse race we have, granted that was more of a race for performance and market, but at the same time there were specialist workstation cards often running on far different hardware, nvidia and ati killed that market by using the same chip design for both pro and gaming cards (I seem to remember that a big chunk of the original geforce chip was based off a Licensed 3DLabs Glint chipset, rip 3DLabs)

  2. #50
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post

    However, having to rely on stock & price trackers, the same way/tools that many scalpers do, not a great situation to be in, it's one of the bad sides of a supply and demand economy.
    Completely agree with you. I don't think everyone waiting some arbitrary amount of time is the logical or practical solution though. For a lot of card purchasers, myself included, it's not about higher fps, it's about working more efficiently.

    At the end of the day, if we level the playing field with the scalpers then we reduce both their stock and their number of potential buyers - this is only a good thing. This is especially possible with the 30XX FEs as Scan limit them to one per person and also require captcha submission for the purchase.

    Thanks to PartAlert my 3070FE arrived today, paid £469... I don't understand how it would've been better for everyone if I waited and let that card go to a scalper.
    Last edited by xbloke; 08-01-2021 at 05:43 PM.

  3. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Somerset
    Posts
    1,112
    Thanks
    84
    Thanked
    137 times in 110 posts
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Quote Originally Posted by xbloke View Post
    Completely agree with you. I don't think everyone waiting some arbitrary amount of time is the logical or practical solution though. For a lot of card purchasers, myself included, it's not about higher fps, it's about working more efficiently.

    At the end of the day, if we level the playing field with the scalpers then we reduce both their stock and their number of potential buyers - this is only a good thing. This is especially possible with the 30XX FEs as Scan limit them to one per person and also require captcha submission for the purchase.

    Thanks to PartAlert my 3070FE arrived today, paid £469... I don't understand how it would've been better for everyone if I waited and let that card go to a scalper.
    That's an interesting way to look at it and that has to be figured in. The logic works better in a vacuum; outside of the vacuum, you would look at the system that creates both the opportunity for the scalpers and the necessity for legitimate consumers to go through such a ridiculous rigmarole just to get a fair deal, and conclude that the effect going the other way (difficult to quantify whether greater than the effect you mentioned, i'm sure it's possible but outside my skillset) is the fact that the prices that scalpers set are determined in part by the urgency and desperation customers feel, and by partaking in all the discords and twitters and so on (which i'm sure the scalpers check, if not use) you're contributing to that. Supply and demand works like a pressure system, in that a change in pressure far down the line needs to be equalized by something else, i.e. none of this happens in a vacuum. The least effect you could have is if you just avoid all those options and reload pages until you get one, and yes, that's one a scalper might have got, but it's also one another legitimate but desperate customer might have got and leads the scalpers to see more demand.

    If you add on top of that the exponential (i think?) effect that comes from scalpers making rational decisions about what level of profit is and isn't worth their time, and seeing that this is more than worth their time leading to them contacting their mates and ramping up in order to try to take over a higher proportion of the market, it further suggests that from the point of view of a rational self-interested person who's thinking about the long term, let alone other people, is to wait a few months down the line until the market sorts itself out, because really, that's not a big ask. You've gone this long without a 3060ti, a few months more won't hurt.

  4. #52
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    I agree in part with wazzickle, but I don't think you can blame someone for buying an FE at MSRP!

    Just needs other people to be disciplined and wait for their opportunity to buy an FE at MSRP, rather than get impatient and buy a scalped one. However, there are always going to be people with more money than time that would rather just get the product even if they pay over the odds for it.

    I think really we should be laying the blame more at nVidia / AMD's door for failing to supply serious quantities of cards, rather than arguing with eachother

    For me if I wanted to get a 3080 I might spend up to £750 for a good AIB version, if I couldn't get hold of an FE, otherwise I will do my best to wait, although when you've been excited about a new build since the announcement in September, the waiting does get frustrating!

  5. #53
    Registered+
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    40
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post
    • Zatoichi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock B450m Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb DDR4 3200
      • Storage:
      • Loads
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3070 XC3Ultra
      • PSU:
      • Be quiet 800w
      • Case:
      • Fractal r4
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • hP omen 32

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    I think it would be simple for amd and nvidia to introduce a pre-purchaase registration database.
    2 cards per bank account.
    To buy more you need to declare a business account.

    That way they could demonstrably support the gaming community by limiting miners. They can limit sales to single card purchases only.

    They still sell all the cards they make and administering the registration is just an extension of the sh*t they do already.

    Yes miner communities will get around it to a degree but whilst they adjust it would give us a chance to get them at msrp.
    Won't help with individual scalpers either

    But if it releases 30% of production to the ACTUAL gaming community it a win right?

  6. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Location
    Lincolnshire
    Posts
    136
    Thanks
    22
    Thanked
    5 times in 5 posts
    • Duckboy79's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Strix B550-E
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5800x
      • Memory:
      • 32Gb 4x8 3600mhz CL16 Klevv
      • Storage:
      • 2x m.2 500Gb, 2x SSD 250 Gb, 1 HHD 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Rx 580 8Gb with NZXT G12 + H55 Cooling
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750w V2 Gold
      • Case:
      • Sharkoon
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • EG 1440p 144hz Adaptive Sync

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Zatoichi View Post
    I think it would be simple for amd and nvidia to introduce a pre-purchaase registration database.
    2 cards per bank account.
    To buy more you need to declare a business account.

    That way they could demonstrably support the gaming community by limiting miners. They can limit sales to single card purchases only.

    They still sell all the cards they make and administering the registration is just an extension of the sh*t they do already.

    Yes miner communities will get around it to a degree but whilst they adjust it would give us a chance to get them at msrp.
    Won't help with individual scalpers either

    But if it releases 30% of production to the ACTUAL gaming community it a win right?
    I wish this could happen, but it takes far too much common sense for it to ever happen, one can only wish.

  7. #55
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    I don't really believe nvidia minds who they sell their gpu's to all that much

    They reportedly sold a large quantity in a separate batch to miners

    So I can't really seem them too much out of their way to ensure individual gamers specifically get them, but I am perhaps a bit of a cynic

  8. #56
    Senior Member Kovoet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    885
    Thanks
    79
    Thanked
    49 times in 42 posts
    • Kovoet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG crosshair Hero VIII
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Viper 3733mhz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 980 pro 500GB Samsung 850 512GB,Samsung 860 1TB SSD & 950 PRO NVMe M.2 SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus RTX3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 680x
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Tuf VG32VQ1B
      • Internet:
      • 1GB Virgin

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Seen loads of these on facebook marketplace. Even I wouldn't buy them off there but why are they selling them.

  9. #57
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    10,128
    Thanks
    605
    Thanked
    1,220 times in 1,121 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Jmurr View Post
    I don't really believe nvidia minds who they sell their gpu's to all that much

    They reportedly sold a large quantity in a separate batch to miners

    So I can't really seem them too much out of their way to ensure individual gamers specifically get them, but I am perhaps a bit of a cynic
    Nope you're correct, Miners are big business now, they buy cards by the pallet not a few from retailers/websites
    and yes they'll have business accounts with nvidia, they'll not be paying retail price ether, probably they are offering slightly higher than trade price, which is still a chunk less than rrp but makes them a more interesting offer than most most retailers/distributers who will be pushing to lower the trade price so they can make higher returns without lowering the point of sale price or lower the point of sale price to try to grab market share without impacting returns.
    Most retailers don't scalp because they no what the effect on reputation will be in the long run, if they are selling above rrp then it's probably more down to increased Trade prices and that's miners and limiting retail sales too 1 gpu per-customer isn't going to change that, miners will already have there big bulk shipments of cards.

    The biggest damage in availability atm is scalpers, it's a very difficult thing to do well, you have to predict what's going to sell and how much you can get away with over rrp, you have to get in when it's hot but before it's run out or the price has gone up then sell when demand is highest and supply lowest to get the most inflated price you can.
    Now don't get me wrong, scalpers are scum, but it's not an easy thing to do well for a long time (many can get lucky once but that's it)

  10. #58
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    31
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    1 time in 1 post

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    Nope you're correct, Miners are big business now, they buy cards by the pallet not a few from retailers/websites
    and yes they'll have business accounts with nvidia, they'll not be paying retail price ether, probably they are offering slightly higher than trade price, which is still a chunk less than rrp but makes them a more interesting offer than most most retailers/distributers who will be pushing to lower the trade price so they can make higher returns without lowering the point of sale price or lower the point of sale price to try to grab market share without impacting returns.
    Most retailers don't scalp because they no what the effect on reputation will be in the long run, if they are selling above rrp then it's probably more down to increased Trade prices and that's miners and limiting retail sales too 1 gpu per-customer isn't going to change that, miners will already have there big bulk shipments of cards.

    The biggest damage in availability atm is scalpers, it's a very difficult thing to do well, you have to predict what's going to sell and how much you can get away with over rrp, you have to get in when it's hot but before it's run out or the price has gone up then sell when demand is highest and supply lowest to get the most inflated price you can.
    Now don't get me wrong, scalpers are scum, but it's not an easy thing to do well for a long time (many can get lucky once but that's it)
    I feel like some retailers, or someone in the chain at least is scalping to some extent, most of the prices I've seen I don't think I'd pay. Think I've seen Gigabyte gaming oc 3070 for like £670/680 which is more than a 3080FE!

    I just hope that it doesn't take too much longer for some sensible prices and a bit of availability! Been waiting a fair few months now...

    Would like to just put it off and ignore it all for a couple months til things are better, but don't seem to be able to do that very well at the moment stuck at home!

  11. #59
    Senior Member Pob255's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    The land of Brum
    Posts
    10,128
    Thanks
    605
    Thanked
    1,220 times in 1,121 posts
    • Pob255's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX8350 & CM Hyper 212+
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 2gb Corsair Vengence 1600mhz cas9
      • Storage:
      • 512gb samsung SSD +1tb Samsung HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EGVA GTX970
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic GX 650W
      • Case:
      • HAF 912+
      • Operating System:
      • W7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • iiyama XB3270QS-B1 32" IPS 1440p

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    oh that's just overclockers, they've never been shameless when price gouging, but they just keep getting away with it.

    Have a look on amazon marketplace, there are people who want £900+

    I give to you "Beauty Masters" https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?me=A7FNDQ...A1F83G8C2ARO7P
    who sell skin care products and have Two whole Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 GAMING OC 8GB Graphics Cards for just £932 each

    That is a scalper, when you have low availability and add in a bunch of scum like that and you get the situation we're in.

    Miners do effect the situation, they divert stock before it can get to retail and push up whole sale prices (again I agree with you that trying to ban miners from retail is pointless because they don't buy retail)

    what I keep trying to get at is that it's not a single cause and effect, there's lots of factors going on, they are stacking together atm to really make things bad which in turn are having other knock on effects eg the crazy 2nd hand market
    One thing I also concede that is possible is lots of little price rises along the supply chain, esp if there is reduced production, the many steps on the chain will rise prices to cover the loss in volume.
    However that should all be shown in the RRP not just the point of sale price.

    here's another interesting point only people who have stock are people who are selling high above rrp

  12. #60
    Fetchez la vache!
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Dorset
    Posts
    515
    Thanks
    48
    Thanked
    46 times in 35 posts
    • dannyboy75's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF Gaming B550 Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5800X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair DDR4 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent Rocket NVMe 4.0 500GB, Samsung 840 SSD 500Gb, WD 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 3080 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Aerocool Mod XT 750W
      • Case:
      • Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 110/10

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Quote Originally Posted by Pob255 View Post
    oh that's just overclockers, they've never been shameless when price gouging
    Or Overchargers, as I affectionately like to call them...

  13. #61
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    88
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Just a quick question.

    I've been looking for the 3060ti Founder's Edition since I missed out on launch day. Have any of these FE cards ever been made available by Nvidia since? I can't even find them listed on any retailer anywhere, let alone find one in stock!

  14. #62
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    28
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Yes but not too often and you have to be quick.

  15. #63
    Registered+
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    I got a new RTX 3070 Founders Edition for RRP on the 6th by following a bot on Telegram. It went completely smoothly, unlike on launch day when I kept getting timeouts and eventually failed.

  16. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2021
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts

    Re: 3000 founders edition cards UK

    Nvidia randomly drop them through Scan and they're gone in 2 minutes. Last drop was on 11/01/2021. Joining a Discord or Telegram stock alert group is the only chance you have of getting one.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •