Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving connection?

Thanks

Improving connection?

Is there anyway to improve an existing broadband internet connection WITHOUT changing ISP's?

Here are my symptoms:
    * Freezing in CS:S, then in the top-right comes some red text that says "connection problems". This means I have to restart the game, and then wait for my ping to be reasonable (it's either good or bad - nothing half way).

* Disconnecting from IRC.

* Just now, I tried to download an update for AVG, and it said "internet connection failed. Please check your internet connection settings".

I'm on BT 512 kbps. Don't ask me for the exact package name because it's some BT one given to us for my Dad to use for home working. I've already made a thread about changing our ISP, and basically the answer's "no", so that's out of the question.

just getting a bit peed off with this now....

Thanks
    Try calling up BT and asking for the gain to be turned up... this sorted a lot of connection dropout issues for me.

Also, go for the minimum number of connections between the PC and the ADSL socket or router and ADSL socket... so if you're running off three extension leads, consider moving the PC or try and get one continuous run of cable..

Make sure you have a microfilter on EVERY piece of equipment plugged into the line.
    Last edited by Nick; 21-01-2005 at 05:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    are you connecting through a router? if so try directly connecting just to make sure
    and try a diff computer if you have one. That way they cant fob you off

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard
    Try calling up BT and asking for the gain to be turned up... this sorted a lot of connection dropout issues for me.

Also, go for the minimum number of connections between the PC and the ADSL socket or router and ADSL socket... so if you're running off three extension leads, consider moving the PC or try and get one continuous run of cable..

Make sure you have a microfilter on EVERY piece of equipment plugged into the line.
    What's gain? Why isn't gain up for everyone, and therefore equal, and why would they turn it up for me?

AFAIK - my PC is connected though the minimum amount of wires possible.

Internet > Filter > USB modem > PC

Quote Originally Posted by Kumagoro
    are you connecting through a router? if so try directly connecting just to make sure
    and try a diff computer if you have one. That way they cant fob you off
    I don't use the other PC (even though it's right next to this one), but AFAIK, that's having no problems. Having said that though, that PC COULD get away with dial up, as the most taxing thing run on it over the net is games on the neopets website from my sister. Webpages are loading OK on my computer, therefore everything on the other one should be fine as that's all it's used for.

What do you mean by "they can't fob you off"? Who's "they"? Is it BT?

I don't think I'm in much of a position to be calling BT up anyway. The connection has been given to us free of charge from BT as my Dad works for BT from home occasionally. It's not correct to complain about something that was free anyway IMO.

If nothing can be done, we will be getting our own broadband connection at the end of next month (BT again though ).

Thanks
    Gain is basically the voltage they send the signal down the line at. If its too strong
    then it amplifys the noise resulting in the opposite effect you want. I meant BT
    they are lazy like other compaines too. I say try the other PC on the line just to make sure its not your PC thats causing the prob in someway.

Thanks
    That's the point though - I can't try it on the other PC. It's only happened using programs that are only on my PC.

Thanks
    well put them on the other one for testing.

Thanks
    Sounds to me like interference on the line... check that everything connected to your phone line has a microfilter, and that means one filter per bit of equipment.
    "OH OOOOHH oOOHHHHHHHOOHHHHHHH FILL ME WITH YOUR.... eeww not the stuff from the lab"

Thanks
    The modem's the ONLY thing on the line. If the problems continue (only started yesterday), I might try somethings on the other PC.

Thanks
    Your dad hasnt gone and tried to use the old phone cabling for network wiring has he? please say no...

Thanks
    LOL - no, not yet. I will try my very hardest for him not to do that . TBH, I don't think he will now.

Question: How come my connection is not uaually at 100%? Why isn't it either on (full) or off (0%). For example. I'm downloading something now, and it's anywhere betweek 5 and 85%. Surely if it's downloading, then it'd be quicker to use 100% of the connection?

Thanks
    OK, I'm cunfused over the percentage of the connection thing... how are you connected, wifi or wired?

Where are you getting this percentage thingie from?

Title Contender
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajbrun
    LOL - no, not yet. I will try my very hardest for him not to do that . TBH, I don't think he will now.

Question: How come my connection is not uaually at 100%? Why isn't it either on (full) or off (0%). For example. I'm downloading something now, and it's anywhere betweek 5 and 85%. Surely if it's downloading, then it'd be quicker to use 100% of the connection?
    youve lost me mate, you sure your not talking about your CPU usage?

Thanks
    swap the microfilter out.

connect your USB modem via a powered USB hub

ensure you are running the latest drivers for your USB modem

those 3 should keep you busy for a while
    my Virtualisation Blog http://jfvi.co.uk Virtualisation Podcast http://vsoup.net

Thanks
    Ah yes, i had dissconection problems and i found that it was a falty filter.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckard
    OK, I'm cunfused over the percentage of the connection thing... how are you connected, wifi or wired?

Where are you getting this percentage thingie from?
    If you press CTL+ALT+DEL, then click on networking, it tells you how much you're using you internet connection in %. Right now, I'm thinking it's supposed to be less than 100%. Here's why I think so:

If it's 100%, then the speed it shared. If it's less than 100%, then everything gets 512 speed.

Is that correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information