Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Pc Help for novice

Thanks
    well it sounds like everything is "working" to a greater or lesser extent but you have incompatbilities or something

so dont assume anything is ever innocent, but still try and narrow it down logically as much as you can

Thanks
    the psu works fine, im taking my computer to someone to try it out as he'll have spare parts to test it. Ive got a feeling that its the motherboard thats not working.

thanks for your help guys

James

Thanks
    ok,

ive tired a PCI gcard in the computer and it didn't boot, the psu is also making a loud clicking noise??? What is the problem?

Im going to ring scan and see if they can exchange some of the components.

thanks

James

Thanks
    i suppose you could always try a replacement motherboard, but i doubt its the problem, not being rude or anythign of the sort, but its ur first build, there is a good chance that soemthign may not be connected up. i dont know what to suggest really. who was the PC guys u took it to? was it s a shop or soemone u know who knows a lil bit bout PC's?
    PowerColor HD 4850 512MB
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz
    Coolermaster Centurion 5 All Black
    Corsair 450W VX 450W PSU
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB

Thanks
    wrong post
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Hi,

the pc guy ive took my pc too has his own shop and has built many computer for myself and for my dads buisness so he should know what he is doing. I also had a friend to look at it whos also built a few computers and he said everything looked fine?? First thing i want to sort out is the psu, then i want to test the mobo and cpu.

Is there anyone in leicester on this forum willing to help me??

thanks

James

Thanks
    Just wondering are all these components definately compatible with each other??

AMD Athlon 64 3500 + Socket939 , Venice Core, 2.2GHz , 512KB Cache, Retail
    BFG GeForce™ 7800 GT OC™ 256MB
    1GB Corsair Value Select, DDR PC3200 (400), 184 Pin, Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 3
    ASUS A8N-SLI SE NF4 SLI, S939, PCI-E (x16), DDR 400, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX
    580W HiperPower Type-R Modular Black PSU Quiet Dbl Fan aPFC ATX2.2 20/24 Pin

I know that the ram works, but i need to return the psu due to clicking noise. The processor works also, just need to test the card and mobo at but am struggling.

thanks

james

Thanks
    This might sound condecending but... did either of the people you asked to look at it actually try to turn in on?

Did it start, and by start I mean complete or at least attempt to complete a POST?

What sort of "clicking" does the PSU make, loud? soft? regular? fast? slow?

In terms of connecting the PSU to the mainboard you've used the 24pin cable from the PSU into the 24 stocket on the board? (your PSU does not require a 20 > 24 pin adapter, if its only 20pin clip the 4pin connector which on the same cable loom to the side of the 20pin). You the 4 pin "P4" connector connected to the mainboard via the "ATX12V" stocket above the CPU and a 4pin molex in the "ez-plug" socket?

I don't see anything that should cause compatiblity problems however could you read the manufacturing code off the side of the CPU box, it will start ADA3500.

Thanks
    When they did check it they both did try the power on, all that happens is the fans start moving and that is it?? Nothing comes up on the monitor (and yes, i have turned the monitor on, and is connected into the right slot on the pc, im using a dva to vga adapter).

The psu clicking sound is load and frequent, lick click, click, click, click ..............

Ive connected the psu to my motherboard correctly, 20 pin into the 24 pin slot then the 4 pin next to the 20pin, in the 24 pin slot. Also another 4 pin is in a slot next to the cpu and a long white rectangle 4 pin into the ez_plug. Ill be able to get you the manufacturing code later today. Thanks

James

Thanks
    neideas on what i should do, im going to get the psu exchanged for a start.

thanks

James

Thanks
    sounds like a good start, normally you would have either a fully working psu or a completely dead one (or at least one that stank badly of burning) and id say it would be highly unlikely to be that

but as its clicking its obviously duff, there must be something screwed up with the control circuitry

you did set the switch on the back (if there is one) to 230V didnt you?

Thanks
    there is no switch on the back of the psu?? Should there be

Thanks
    no thats ok then, as long as you didnt buy it from north america

i doubt you would get it to switch on if that was the case

Thanks
    there si not switch on the back of the PSU, my hiper type R 580 has a switch ont he back.
    PowerColor HD 4850 512MB
    Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L iP35 Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz
    Coolermaster Centurion 5 All Black
    Corsair 450W VX 450W PSU
    Samsung SpinPoint F1 500GB

Thanks
    ok, im going to get the psu exchanged for the same model then try the computer again. Also, i just need to try the gcard and cpu but have no other computer compatible with them??

thanks for your help guys

James

Thanks
    Just tried the psu on my current computer and all that happened was that the fans moved and a screen appeared which is black and shows components of the computer and pauses there, nothing else happens??? Nothing comes up on my new pc. Does it sound like the psu is the problem? I cant really explain the screen that came up but its got a logo of some sort in the top righthand corner, all black with white writing, then nothing happens, usually the windows sign appear and loads.

anyideas

thanks

James

Thread Information