• Falcon GameMax
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG27AQ G-Sync 165 Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200/20 FTTP

Re: * Star Citizen *

The beta for Elite is due in May, I don't think any dates have been mentioned beyond that although most discussion/rumour on the Frontier forums suggests the beta will run for months rather than weeks.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Looks like I might be buying Elite Dangerous to play while I wait for Star Citizen. Any idea when the final release date is for that?
    Due end of year.

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Due end of year.
    it's gonna beat star citizen to the punch then if it makes it out this year. hopefully it'll drive cig to make star citizen really good. as i think ED could be pretty sweet looks like i'll be playing both..

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by erudito87 View Post
    cool. just watched them. there are a few good videos of the dog fighting module at pax going around as well. they managed to sort the issue after the presentation, so lots of people got to have a proper go on it

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

cool. just watched them. there are a few good videos of the dog fighting module at pax going around as well. they managed to sort the issue after the presentation, so lots of people got to have a proper go on it
    How good this game looks makes wonder if i need to upgrade lol

ZaO

How good this game looks makes wonder if i need to upgrade lol
    your current setup is very similar to mine. should perform about the same i think. depending on how mantle and other things turn out. but i am having a guess at medium-ish settings to get a fairly consistent 60fps. that guess is bs really though. and so is everyone else's at this point! once the whole persistent universe is there, then with procedurally generated planets at some point. i can see setups like ours struggling big time! so one thing's for sure: upgrade needed? hell yes!!! just wait until we have more to go on. game is still early in development. don't expect release until 2016 sometime i say.

though i will definitely be leaving some feedback about the dog fighting module here for you guys that are interested. that should be with us pretty soon! but i wonder how optimized that thing is right now. probably not very...

ZaO

new video about the dfm. skip it to about 22:40 (stuff before then, you've probably already seen). it's looking good though guys! can't wait
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE3WxpO4jW0

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

your current setup is very similar to mine. should perform about the same i think. depending on how mantle and other things turn out. but i am having a guess at medium-ish settings to get a fairly consistent 60fps. that guess is bs really though. and so is everyone else's at this point! once the whole persistent universe is there, then with procedurally generated planets at some point. i can see setups like ours struggling big time! so one thing's for sure: upgrade needed? hell yes!!! just wait until we have more to go on. game is still early in development. don't expect release until 2016 sometime i say.

though i will definitely be leaving some feedback about the dog fighting module here for you guys that are interested. that should be with us pretty soon! but i wonder how optimized that thing is right now. probably not very...
    That makes sense but my stock 670 has been annoying for some time(too noisy when i game and at 2k the more demanding games get like 40ish fps rather than 60) so i probably will go for an asus or msi aftercooler edition 780 or maybe even pick up a nzxt g10 and 120mm aio cooler and maybe oc but using manual overclocking kinda scares me lol.
    Last edited by outwar6010; 21-04-2014 at 05:59 PM.

ZaO

That makes sense but my stock 670 has been annoying for some time(too noisy when i game and at 2k the more demanding games get like 40ish fps rather than 60) so i probably will go for an asus or msi aftercooler edition 680 or maybe even pick up a nzxt g10 and 120mm aio cooler and maybe oc but using manual overclocking kinda scares me lol.
    ah you're playing at quite a high res. before this 7970, i had the gigabyte windforce x3 overclocked gtx 670. it was a great card, and very quiet! i only got rid of it because i wanted more vram. so i got the amd equivalent. but i don't think you should bother upgrading to a 680 mate. that's sort of pointless. you won't see much performance gain from it. and you'll only end up upgrading again for star citizen. but if you really want to upgrade sooner than later. then maybe try and go for something quite a lot more powerful if you can afford it. something with lots of vram too. that way you might be able to avoid upgrading again by the time star citizen is here. or you can just crossfire/sli your new card

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

ah you're playing at quite a high res. before this 7970, i had the gigabyte windforce x3 overclocked gtx 670. it was a great card, and very quiet! i only got rid of it because i wanted more vram. so i got the amd equivalent. but i don't think you should bother upgrading to a 680 mate. that's sort of pointless. you won't see much performance gain from it. and you'll only end up upgrading again for star citizen. but if you really want to upgrade sooner than later. then maybe try and go for something quite a lot more powerful if you can afford it. something with lots of vram too. that way you might be able to avoid upgrading again by the time star citizen is here. or you can just crossfire/sli your new card
    Sorry my bad i meant 780. Do you think its worth attempting to oc my 670?

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Sorry my bad i meant 780. Do you think its worth attempting to oc my 670?
    Not until the game comes out. Then see what kind of performance you need.

ZaO

ah right. yeh a 780 would be a nice jump. but i also think that it's best to wait for the game to come out. assuming it's the main reason for your upgrade. if there's other games you want to upgrade for before then. then just go for the best option you can get your hands on. because i am absolutely certain that star citizen is going to require an all round powerful machine to run it well. but just think - you can buy a 780 now for whatever price they're selling for, or you could get the same card a year later and pay less for it. still having it in time for star citizen. or there might be an even better option at the time. no need to rush it basically. i don't like that as an option myself. which is why i'm hanging on to my setup for now. besides, setups like ours are still very decent! they should hold up pretty well for a little while yet.

as for overclocking your 670 - read up on it first if you're not already familiar with the process. make sure you do it right and don't fry it! is your 2500k overclocked btw?? they're so easy to overclock! and you can get a massive boost from doing that i know a great guide on overclocking them. i can share some info with you if you want it?

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

ah right. yeh a 780 would be a nice jump. but i also think that it's best to wait for the game to come out. assuming it's the main reason for your upgrade. if there's other games you want to upgrade for before then. then just go for the best option you can get your hands on. because i am absolutely certain that star citizen is going to require an all round powerful machine to run it well. but just think - you can buy a 780 now for whatever price they're selling for, or you could get the same card a year later and pay less for it. still having it in time for star citizen. or there might be an even better option at the time. no need to rush it basically. i don't like that as an option myself. which is why i'm hanging on to my setup for now. besides, setups like ours are still very decent! they should hold up pretty well for a little while yet.

as for overclocking your 670 - read up on it first if you're not already familiar with the process. make sure you do it right and don't fry it! is your 2500k overclocked btw?? they're so easy to overclock! and you can get a massive boost from doing that i know a great guide on overclocking them. i can share some info with you if you want it?
    Yep my 2500k is ocd to like 4.3ghz. Yeah you're probably right i should just wait. However if i see a 780ti for 300 quid im going for it lol What worries me about gpu overclocking is that there's no automatic way of doing it so it must be more complicated and risky.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Yep my 2500k is ocd to like 4.3ghz. Yeah you're probably right i should just wait. However if i see a 780ti for 300 quid im going for it lol What worries me about gpu overclocking is that there's no automatic way of doing it so it must be more complicated and risky.
    AMD GPUs used to have an automatic overclock (auto tune), pretty sure nVidia had an equivalent.

16. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (26-04-2014)

ZaO

i would say that overclocking automatically is more risky. it should always be done manually in small stages, with proper testing. don't trust software to do it for you. do it old school with the bios settings (cpu). as far as i know, there's nothing decent for the job yet. would love to be wrong on that one though... gpu's are easier to overclock i think. you generally only have a few different things to adjust. but i never usually overclock them. as to this day, i'm still not sure what a decent way of stress testing them is. you need something that can monitor artifacts for you. there was a program called something like "octt" for this. but i didn't trust it. the test was too easily disturbed and would report false errors too. but just playing games is a pretty decent test for an oc'd gpu i guess..

18. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (26-04-2014)

Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 7891011121320 ... LastLast

Thread Information