• Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus VG278HE
      • Internet:
      • FTTC

Re: * Star Citizen *

I share a lot of scepticism in this thread, at this point however I'm will to give them a price of a AAA game just to watch them try after being bitten by traditional developers so many times for the same price. I stumped up £40 for X which was just a damn car crash of a game, agreed. Truly woeful. I've already had more fun from my money reading the fiction from SC then I did from the whole X game. At this point I reckon their chances of getting it done and doing all the things they want at about 50/50(I very much thought of my purchase in terms of placing a bet). It's going to be fantastic or abysmal IMO. On the X comparison I think if it does go wrong it will be in the other direction due to cryengine, the big risk is FPS side being rock solid and the space side being cack.

On the single player point, the campaign is supposed to be long, branching and WC-esque according to Chris Roberts, that and the ability to just run a private server and play it like X(one of the good ones I mean) or X with friends, is very appealing to me too.

Easy to make promises of course but, I think they've got everything they need to do it, then again so did Egosoft...

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    Privateer was much the same, and Freelancer, and games like the X series to a greater extend. Most space combat games have also had major trade and exploration sides.
    I agree... however, with those I have played I did feel that, even in the singleplayer version, combat was very much the best/only way to progress much. It felt like the pew-pew was ultimately forced on you.
    Freelancer especially was all about the pew-pew and, as EVERY server now insists on reminding us - "This is a PvP server. If you want PvE and exploration, go play on one of those"... except pretty much all servers are PvP now.

Just look at X:rebirth to see how adding 'stretching your legs' can ruin a game.
    Aw, do I have to?

For those who just want the multiplayer side of things, sure. But some of us wanted a wing commander replacement too, not a skippable tutorial
    Given how 90% of those you encounter are expected to be NPCs, would this not qualify as a Wing Co replacement, then?
    I haven't actually gotten around to playing WC yet (got all 9 for $11 off GoG.com - yay me!) as I don't have a working joystick, but it sounds very StarLancery but with a more developed plot...

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I agree... however, with those I have played I did feel that, even in the singleplayer version, combat was very much the best/only way to progress much. It felt like the pew-pew was ultimately forced on you.
    Freelancer especially was all about the pew-pew and, as EVERY server now insists on reminding us - "This is a PvP server. If you want PvE and exploration, go play on one of those"... except pretty much all servers are PvP now.

Aw, do I have to?

Given how 90% of those you encounter are expected to be NPCs, would this not qualify as a Wing Co replacement, then?
    I haven't actually gotten around to playing WC yet (got all 9 for $11 off GoG.com - yay me!) as I don't have a working joystick, but it sounds very StarLancery but with a more developed plot...
    StarLancer was by the same chaps, but very weak compared to the awesomeness of the first few Wing Commander games, which were epic. You say you like Mass Effect right? Wing Commander was like the Mass Effect of space combat games - very very much story driven in a way you can't do in multiplayer - you can have background story sure, but not the same tale where your character plays a genuinely central and pivotal role.

Multiplayer games can be great for emergant story-telling, that is, where the scenario/situation lends itself to some kind of story-telling on the fly - see the big Eve battles and backstabbing/treachery for example. But we've kind of already got games for that. What we don't have are the games that recreate the old Roberts experience at Origin of single player story telling and characterisation - they did it again and again with WC, Privateer, strike commander and other Origin teams did it with the likes of Ultima etc.

Squadron 42 is going to attempt to do some of that, but the conclusion of that game is simply your admission into the mutliplayer part of the game more or less - there's not a lot of scope for you to be the hero of the confederation when you bump into 50,000 other heroes of the confederation.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

StarLancer was by the same chaps, but very weak compared to the awesomeness of the first few Wing Commander games, which were epic.
    I knew it was a CR game. I was actually kinda bummed that the story didn't really carry over into FreeLancer lore. One minute I thought we were winning, the next we kinda lost... Meh.

you can have background story sure, but not the same tale where your character plays a genuinely central and pivotal role.
    I think that's part of the appeal.
    In Freelancer, aside from the cutscene story moments, when you're out there just flying around, trading and taking missions, etc, you're just another bloke in a ship trying to scratch a living.
    Sometimes it does work and the reason I liked Mass Effect so much was how it balanced the hero stuff with being part of a 'team', such as it was. There was a bigger picture. But soooooo many games are about how you're THE hero, the Chosen One, the Destined One, the Only One, the Special One, etc etc... It's a little cliched.

You can still emerge as a famous hero in SC, playing a pivotal role in the solo campaign if you're good enough, but it's not guaranteed.
    I like how it's not the default destiny for every single player and bumping into 50,000 other Commander Shepards, Lara Crofts, Ezio Auditores, Christopher Blairs and so on are equally as immersion-breaking, IMO.

I dunno... I truthfully just hope it's enjoyable and makes me feel like a space pilot.

ZaO

any backers who can get to pax east? there's still some tickets left

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/rsvp/pax-east-2014

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Do you have to pay monthly etc ?

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Don't worry i just found it you buy the game, the online is then free.

Thanks
    • iworrall's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus B350M TUF Gaming
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 2700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB C14 Team Group "Dark Pro"
      • Storage:
      • 512Gb Samsung 970 Evo NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX3080 FE
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 1KW
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Core V21
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 / Kubuntu 19.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator X34A
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by erudito87 View Post
    Do you have to pay monthly etc ?
    You can if you want to. A monthly subscription of $10 or $20 during the development phase lets CIG produce the 3 weekly Youtube videos & Jump Point magazine.
    Anyone can watch the videos but the mag is subscriber-only. First year subscribers have also had their names on a plaque in CIG's lobby

Jump Point - a monthly PDF magazine full of development pics & stories from the SC universe.
    10 for the Chairman - Subscribers get to ask Chris Roberts questions. 10 are picked each week which he answers on Youtube
    Wingman's Hangar - Eric "Wingman" Petersen presents development updates & answers questions from the forums on Youtube.
    The Next Great Starship - As the name suggests, this Youtube show is in the "Talent" genre, showcasing fans from around the world, competing to creat a ship for the game to win $30,000 in hard/software.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • nepenthes's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel I3-3220
      • Memory:
      • 8gb DDR3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI 5770
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CX400
      • Case:
      • Fractal Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 20.1" LG
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

This was the first thing I ever backed on Kickstarter. Second was Elite: Dangerous

I've been tempted to play Freelancer again, but I found my old copy of Freespace 2 the other day. I forgot how much time these games suck up, I'm actually worried I won't be able to spend enough time on Star Citizen when it eventually releases.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by iworrall View Post
    You can if you want to. A monthly subscription of $10 or $20 during the development phase lets CIG produce the 3 weekly Youtube videos & Jump Point magazine.
    Anyone can watch the videos but the mag is subscriber-only. First year subscribers have also had their names on a plaque in CIG's lobby

Jump Point - a monthly PDF magazine full of development pics & stories from the SC universe.
    10 for the Chairman - Subscribers get to ask Chris Roberts questions. 10 are picked each week which he answers on Youtube
    Wingman's Hangar - Eric "Wingman" Petersen presents development updates & answers questions from the forums on Youtube.
    The Next Great Starship - As the name suggests, this Youtube show is in the "Talent" genre, showcasing fans from around the world, competing to creat a ship for the game to win $30,000 in hard/software.

Thanks for the info

Registered+
    Thanks

I almost backed this game on Kickstarter and keep seeing it pop up in the news, I've checked in on it every now and again and each time I'm very tempted to get it but it seems like the scope of this game is so huge and the time it requires you to invest in it might be a little too much for me.

ZaO

the dog fight module is going to be streaming live if anyone's interested: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/c...ast-Livestream
    Last edited by ZaO; 10-04-2014 at 01:38 AM.

SUMMONER

Last edited by SUMMONER; 11-04-2014 at 02:51 AM.

Splash

Not sure if people are aware (and conscious that this thread is for SC, but there have been quite a few mentions) but the Frontier crew released the single player alpha combat build of Elite: Dangerous to premium beta subscribers yesterday. I had a bit of a tinker but it just made it clear to me that I need to properly set up my controls

ZaO

Poor Chris and team. That Live stream didn't go so well :/ I'm very understanding of the situation though. It's still early days. Some of the guys in that crowd were really annoying. Was still cool to see some footage of it though. I hope they fix that thing up before releasing it. But I haven't got the impression they're trying to rush things out so far. So we should be good for that. Looks like I might be buying Elite Dangerous to play while I wait for Star Citizen. Any idea when the final release date is for that?

Page 9 of 23 FirstFirst ... 678910111219 ... LastLast

Thread Information