Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Are tattoos now socially acceptable?

Thanks

Re: Are tattoos now socially acceptable?

Quote Originally Posted by schmunk View Post

Meaningful...?
    Damn straight, heartagram FTW !

schmunk, did i say malc had chainsaw death tattoo'd across his forehead ? Hes an art student and his ink is all his own work, his body literally is a piece of art.

Now run along you self righteous muppet. Im not getting into an internet slanging match, you have your opinion, i have mine, i just think you need to take off your rose tinted glasses and see the "new" real world.

And pulling up a picture of shelly's tattoo to make yourself feel better...lame dude, very lame.

2. Received thanks from:

shelley bda (14-06-2009)

Thanks

And there lies your problem. Put the two groups together, along with the rest of humankind, then let's have the discussion...
    I don't have a problem. I'm perfectly happy to accept people regardless of what they look like.
    Furthermore I don't see the need to get the two groups together to have a 'discussion' about it, any more than I feel I have to question people who dye their hair colour (which is zero). What exactly is there to discuss? Why you think they have poor judgement? I'm sure they'll be well up for sitting down with you and trying to alter your view that is purely based on their looks

What someone does to their body is of no business of mine, and as long as that makes them happy I'm not sure why anyone else should either.
    To be honest I'm absolutely gobsmacked that your only answer is to get the entire human race to sit down and let their opinions of tattoos known because you don't like them. If such an event was to ever happen, I'd hazard a guess that more pressing matters such as war and famine would be top of the agenda.

Sight is amazing isn't it? Some people are willing to judge people on how they look so easily, yet if they were to lose their sight tomorrow in an accident they probably wouldn't give a second thought to ask the person that looks after them what their tattoo looks like.

I'm still waiting to hear evidence of your link between people having 'bad judgement' and a tattoo. A doctor I speak to regularly who has spent the majority of his life in a lab doing ground breaking research into cancer and genetic disorders has several tattoos. Bad judgement is the last thing I'd ever accuse him of having.
    Last edited by Agent; 14-06-2009 at 09:10 PM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

4. Received thanks from:

Cornholio (14-06-2009)

Thanks
    • jon bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 G0
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 250gb (Boot) 4x 500gb (Storage)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS HD5770 1gb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V1010
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 204BW
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet ADSL

Wink Re: Are tattoos now socially acceptable?

Meaningful...?
    Probably took you longer to find that old pic than it did for her to get that tat!

6. Received thanks from:

shelley bda (14-06-2009)

Thanks

There is no difference in..

Person A. Full of ink from head to toe with "said" qualifications

Person B. No ink but same qualifications.

Its called discrimination schmunk.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    I don't have a problem. I'm perfectly happy to accept people regardless of what they look like.
    Furthermore I don't see the need to get the two groups together to have a 'discussion' about it, any more than I feel I have to question people who dye their hair colour (which is zero). What exactly is there to discuss? Why you think they have poor judgement? I'm sure they'll be well up for sitting down with you and trying to alter your vie that is purely based on their looks

What someone does to their body is of no business of mine, and as long as that makes them happy I'm not sure why anyone else should either.
    To be honest I'm absolutely gobsmacked that your only answer is to get the entire human race to sit down and let their opinions of tattoos known because you don't like them. If such an avent was to ever happen, I'd hazard a guess that more pressing matters such as war and famine would be top of the agenda.

Sight is amazing isn't it? Some people are willing to judge people on how they look so easily, yet if they were to lose their sight tomorrow in an accident they probably wouldn't give a second thought to ask the person that looks after them what their tattoo looks like.

I'm still waiting to hear evidence of your link between people having 'bad judgement' and a tattoo. A doctor I speak to regularly who has spent the majority of his life in a lab doing ground breaking research into cancer and genetic disorders has several tattoos. Bad judgement is the last thing I'd ever accuse him of having.
    Never a truer word spoken.

One thing thats just sprung to mind...whilst inmates get ink to represent crimes and gangs etc, alot of soldiers in the wars, and in the navy also had tattoo's, taking that into consideration you think the men and women that fought for our country all those years ago have bad judgement schmunk ?

Banned
    Thanks

Nothing wrong with having a tattoo.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by modd1uk View Post

I was writing something very similar to what Agent did, down to the example with hair dye and people I know with tattoos who are clearly intelligent and accomplished, so as a whole, I agree with him.

Having said that, whether it's discrimination depends on the job at hand. In Japan for instance, tattoos, especially of dragons, are very often associated with the Yakuza (not unreasonably so). So it is sensible for the employer to pick the other person if such tattoos can not be easily covered.

Ultimately, the ability to do some job comes down to more than qualifications. In fairness, I'd be weary of hiring a baby-sitter with 'Chainsaw Death' on the forehead - but I do think those are extreme examples. I reckon that most tatoo wearers have them in places that can be covered.

11. Received thanks from:

Cornholio (15-06-2009),shelley bda (14-06-2009)

Thanks
    • shelley bda's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Pro 875B
      • CPU:
      • Pentium 4 3.2
      • Memory:
      • 2 gig Geil
      • Storage:
      • Seagate 320 gig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Radeon 9600XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-R 580w
      • Case:
      • Beantech BT84B
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 15" TFT
      • Internet:
      • 2meg Nildram ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post

Ultimately, the ability to do some job comes down to more than qualifications. In fairness, I'd be weary of hiring a baby-sitter with 'Chainsaw Death' on the forehead - but I do think those are extreme examples. I reckon that most tatoo wearers have them in places that can be covered.
    I babysit Kids day in day out with my job - two jobs actually, am a Creche Leader for Shropshire County Councils Childrens Centres and I work as a Leader in a Pre-School, also run an After School Club.... No one has complained about my tattoo yet, Both Employers know about it, and it was never an issue

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shelley bda View Post
    I babysit Kids day in day out with my job - two jobs actually, am a Creche Leader for Shropshire County Councils Childrens Centres and I work as a Leader in a Pre-School, also run an After School Club.... No one has complained about my tattoo yet, Both Employers know about it, and it was never an issue
    People who moan about tattoo's are ignorant. They go by face value. A stigma always surrounds people who have tattoos, especially if they are on show and are numerous. I like tattoos, and have several myself. People always asume the worst when they seem them!!

Thanks

Meaningful...?
    Who are you to determine what is meaningful to Shelley? I have tattoo's on my left arm, very very prominent. My company have no issue with them, even the bikini clad Anime char. Our clients have never mentioned it when i've been doing site work, with some of them being company presidents. Its only the shallow minded that have issues.

15. Received thanks from:

0iD (15-06-2009),shelley bda (15-06-2009)

0iD
    Thanks
    • 0iD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Leave my mother out of it!
      • CPU:
      • If I knew what it meant?
      • Memory:
      • Wah?
      • Storage:
      • Cupboards and drawers
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Slate & chalk
      • PSU:
      • meh
      • Case:
      • Suit or Brief?
      • Operating System:
      • Brain
      • Monitor(s):
      • I was 1 at skool
      • Internet:
      • 28k Dialup

Quote Originally Posted by beanbandit View Post
    Who are you to determine what is meaningful to Shelley? I have tattoo's on my left arm, very very prominent. My company have no issue with them, even the bikini clad Anime char.
    Any chance of a pic? I've always been tempted by an Animé piece.
    I quite fancy Briareos Hecatonchires from Appleseed on my thigh, seeing as my upper torso is prettymuch covered & it would be out of character with what I have already (and for the record I'm Technical Director of a process machinery manufacturer).
    Last edited by 0iD; 15-06-2009 at 02:28 PM.
    [
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen
    When I say go, both walk in the opposite direction for 10 paces, draw handbags, then bitch-slap each other!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 0iD View Post
    Any chance of a pic? I've always been tempted by an Animé piece.
    I quite fancy Briareos Hecatonchires from Appleseed on my thigh, seeing as my upper torso is prettymuch covered & it would be out of character with what I have already (and for the record I'm Technical Director of a process machinery manufacturer).
    I'm having a semi-pro photographer take some pictures for me tomorrow, so i will post them in a couple of days time. I've been hankering for some Shirow work for some time, whenever i've got my copies of Intron Depot out i always think that some of his art would look good on my skin

Think we may need a "show us your tattoo thread"

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • 1GB of Corsair BH-5 and 512MB of something else
      • Storage:
      • 160GB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon X800Pro, flashed to XT
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Furthermore I don't see the need to get the two groups together to have a 'discussion' about it, any more than I feel I have to question people who dye their hair colour (which is zero). What exactly is there to discuss? Why you think they have poor judgement? I'm sure they'll be well up for sitting down with you and trying to alter your view that is purely based on their looks
    I think you either misunderstood or chose to ignore my point - As you note, certain groups may have a particular affinity or dis-affinity for tattoos (or any other aspect of appearance or behaviour). To limit one's discussion to one particular group is meaningless. You effectively made the same point yourself...

p.s. by 'your problem', I meant the problem with your argument, which you headed 'the problem'. Apologies if you found my wording aggressive.

OiD started the thread, I simply replied. As did you. There's no winner here.

To be honest I'm absolutely gobsmacked that your only answer is to get the entire human race to sit down and let their opinions of tattoos known because you don't like them. If such an event was to ever happen, I'd hazard a guess that more pressing matters such as war and famine would be top of the agenda.
    As above, you are being somewhat disingenuous.

True enough, I supposem, but not particularly relevant to this thread.

Why do you need evidence? I gave an opinion which, I expect, is backed with as much objective evidence as your opinion, i.e. none.

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Quote Originally Posted by jon bda View Post
    Probably took you longer to find that old pic than it did for her to get that tat!
    Literally hours...

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Yes, and...? Do you never discriminate based on appearances? How would you pick between the two people, if they were otherwise identical?

Thanks
    • schmunk's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit NF7-S v2.0
      • CPU:
      • AMD Athlon-M 2500+
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PSU:
      • Hiper Type-M ~400W
      • Case:
      • Antec cheapy
      • Monitor(s):
      • AG Neovo F19 LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 4MB/s

Never a truer word spoken.

One thing thats just sprung to mind...whilst inmates get ink to represent crimes and gangs etc, alot of soldiers in the wars, and in the navy also had tattoo's, taking that into consideration you think the men and women that fought for our country all those years ago have bad judgement schmunk ?
    I think that choosing to join the armed forces is not wonderful judgement (mitigated somewhat during the world wars, etc.) Will you hate me for that now?

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information