• Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Re: scan wont admit theres a problem with my q6600

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    You not only have a temperature problem but also a grammatical problem as well. Thankfully the second one easier to sort out . The comma key is there for a reason and your full stop key could do with more of a work out too. Seriously it would make your post easier to read and understand.

As for the first problem, it really does sound as though the IHS is not properly cemented to the core. Why Scan are testing it with a non retail Intel IHF I don't know but they shouldn't be in this case, but your not going to get any mileage with the overclocking argument. It is irrelevant that virtually all Q6600s will do 3Ghz, yours is rated to do 2.4Ghz and no more at default voltages. If it does that and stays within maximum specified temps with the standard HSF then there's nothing more that can be done. You've got a bum processor, end of story. If however, with the board on the test bench and Intel HSF fitted, after 24 hours of stress testing the temps go outside the maximum then you have grounds for a return. I'd use OCCT as the program to stress test it this generally taxes the cpu more than Prime95.

As others have stated going direct to Intel may yield better results. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.
    Edit: As is Blitzens /Edit

^^^ that is a fair point as not all processors are made equally and Q6600's are only rated to work at 2.4GHz withing certain temperature boundaries.
    so if the chips stays within the boundaries while under stress for a period of time then the chip is "okay" within a retailers eyes, if however as jimborae says, the cpu temp strays outside of the temp boundaries (while using the stock HSF) then you have grounds for an RMA, otherwise, unfortunatly it's something you may find you are stuck with....

In short: the processors are not made to be overclocked (hence why overclocking of any kind invalidates your warranty) they are meant to run at their stated specifications.
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

Thanks
    • polly69's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Pro Carbon
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1700X
      • Memory:
      • 8gb XMS3 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 5tb over internal 1tb over external and 1tb over 2 NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750w
      • Case:
      • nvida coolmaster coolmaster stacker 830
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 ultimate 64x
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2309W
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by jimborae View Post
    You not only have a temperature problem but also a grammatical problem as well. Thankfully the second one easier to sort out . The comma key is there for a reason and your full stop key could do with more of a work out too. Seriously it would make your post easier to read and understand.

As for the first problem, it really does sound as though the IHS is not properly cemented to the core. Why Scan are testing it with a non retail Intel IHF I don't know but they shouldn't be in this case, but your not going to get any mileage with the overclocking argument. It is irrelevant that virtually all Q6600s will do 3Ghz, yours is rated to do 2.4Ghz and no more at default voltages. If it does that and stays within maximum specified temps with the standard HSF then there's nothing more that can be done. You've got a bum processor, end of story. If however, with the board on the test bench and Intel HSF fitted, after 24 hours of stress testing the temps go outside the maximum then you have grounds for a return. I'd use OCCT as the program to stress test it this generally taxes the cpu more than Prime95.

As others have stated going direct to Intel may yield better results. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

These temps are at stock and like i said ive been runing it at 1.2v at 2.4gh but its been over 70c a couple of times ive sent printouts showing 65c to them but they have choosen to ignore them ive lost count the times ive changed HSF and remounted and took the motherboad out to make sure its seated correctly with no change in may be 1c either way so it is seated.
    My other setups are not showing temps like this its just the Q6600 i would understand scan if i had somthing to gain but all it is is a pain in my arse all i want is my pc to run without thermal issues.

Don't be afraid that your life will end ...
    .... be afraid that it will never begin

Thanks
    • polly69's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Pro Carbon
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1700X
      • Memory:
      • 8gb XMS3 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 ultimate 64x
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2309W
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin

Even once over 71c is once to often and as a customer i expect my rights to be considered as a Tech myself i see loads of these but its very rare for high temps i would expect scan to take my findings seriously. Its as though ive sent it for a indpendent accessment only the qualifed person is myself and if i say it has a fault who are they to question my findings most places say when your not happy take it to have it looked at by a pro and have a report made and we will then check the report im that person and they havent took me seriously.

Thanks
    • polly69's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Pro Carbon
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1700X
      • Memory:
      • 8gb XMS3 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 ultimate 64x
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2309W
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    Unfortunate....i agree.
    Its within its specified temperature limits at stock though so Scan arent obligated to replace it.

Just because it doesnt overclock to where you want it, and it doesnt stay cool when you do, that cant be a valid reason (rightly or wrongly) to RMA the chip.

If you piad more for it they will.

I would also like to see that one put to the test.

Sceptical i am
    Blitzen look at your sig is your cpu anywhere near 60-70c even with that overclock mine it at stock and sitting idle its betwwen 48-53c as i cant risk overclocking with these tempratures its nearly double your tempratures and im using very good cooling. This is a snipit from the scan q6600 sale page notice what they class as componants the bottom 2HSF i have and am using AS5 i have a p35 motherboad ive also tried it in the Abitp35 with the same temps so either the chips faulty or these parts are not upto the job.

What more can i do to cool it apart from pack it in ice.

Energy Efficient Version 95W - SLACR G0 Stepping. This New 95W part runs cooler and greener!.

This Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0 SLACR CPU will run up to 3.30Ghz or higher (when overclocked) and used in conjunction with the correct Memory, Motherboard and updated Heat Sink Fan
    LN 15484 2GB (2x1GB) Corsair TwinX DDR2 XMS2 Dominator, PC2-8500 (1066)
    LN 18914 Abit IP-35 Pro, iP35 Express, S 775, PCI-E (x16), DDR2 667/800, SATA II, SATA RAID, ATX.
    LN 14373 Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound for CPU and Chipset Coolers
    LN 20676 Xigmatek HDT-S1283 (H.D.T.) 120mm PWM Fan x3 Heat-pipe Cpu cooler Quad Core Ready
    LN 20336 Akasa AK-925 REVO Thermodynamic Core2Quad Cpu Cooler
    Last edited by polly69; 06-06-2008 at 10:25 PM.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Quote Originally Posted by polly69 View Post
    Even once over 71c is once to often and as a customer i expect my rights to be considered as a Tech myself i see loads of these but its very rare for high temps i would expect scan to take my findings seriously. Its as though ive sent it for a indpendent accessment only the qualifed person is myself and if i say it has a fault who are they to question my findings most places say when your not happy take it to have it looked at by a pro and have a report made and we will then check the report im that person and they havent took me seriously.
    Firstly, there is no use multi-posting to moan at Scan now as they are at home.

Secondly, look here: Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600 - SLACR
    At stock speeds, the Q6600 GO Stepping CPU is rated as stable and compliant up to 71 degrees C which is what you are claiming to get.

If thats the case, then there is no point in RMAing the chip as it is within its specified parameters.

Unfortunately for you, regardless whether you are happy about it or not, the chip is good to go.
    Did you get unlucky? Seems so.......

Can you do anything about it? ....... I seriously doubt it.
    This Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0 SLACR CPU will run up to 3.30Ghz or higher (when overclocked) and used in conjunction with the correct Memory, Motherboard and updated Heat Sink Fan
    Its an impossible claim...every CPU is different.
    There have been a few here that cannot go over 2.8ghz.

Im afraid you are just going to have to get over it i think.

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

These temps are at stock and like i said ive been runing it at 1.2v at 2.4gh but its been over 70c a couple of times ive sent printouts showing 65c to them but they have choosen to ignore them ive lost count the times ive changed HSF and remounted and took the motherboad out to make sure its seated correctly with no change in may be 1c either way so it is seated.
    My other setups are not showing temps like this its just the Q6600 i would understand scan if i had somthing to gain but all it is is a pain in my arse all i want is my pc to run without thermal issues.
    Sending them printouts of it showing 65c isn't going to work though I wouldn't have thought. Personally seeing 65c is not abnormal if air cooling. Run the stress testing again at the correct default voltage and send them logs showing 70c+ and that will demonstrate something is wrong.
    Last edited by jimborae; 06-06-2008 at 10:37 PM.

Thanks
    • polly69's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Pro Carbon
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1700X
      • Memory:
      • 8gb XMS3 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 ultimate 64x
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2309W
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin

it has been over 71c a couple of times and what your not getting is this is 2.4ghz not 3ghz if it where your cpu i dout you would except that and as for scan being home i created this post around 5pm i thought it was scan hexus care can you explain why it was tested with a aftermarket cooler?

Do you run prime95 for 2 hours at very most and assume your overclocked quad is stable or do you leave it overnight if it throttles at 2.4 its faulty.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

it has been over 71c a couple of times and what your not getting is this is 2.4ghz not 3ghz if it where your cpu i dout you would except that and as for scan being home i created this post around 5pm i thought it was scan hexus care can you explain why it was tested with a aftermarket cooler?

Do you run prime95 for 2 hours at very most and assume your overclocked quad is stable or do you leave it overnight if it throttles at 2.4 its faulty.
    Im sorry, but i think its more of a fact of 'what you are not getting'. (or choosing to ignore)

I dont know how many more times you can be advised but a Q6600 G0 Stepped Quad @ 2.4ghz is rated acceptable to 71 degrees C. If you dont like that and find it acceptable then take it up with Intel.
    Its a pig.....i wouldnt be happy either!
    Fact is, once again, that your CPU is performing within the manufacturers specifaications.
    Whether you are happy about it or not really isnt an issue, as unless Scan are feeling particualrly generous, they arent obliged to do anything more (neither would any other e-tailer)

BTW.........If you posted at 5pm, i doubt if Scan were around. Its a weekend remember and they have already answered your questions by your own admission, at another time.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • asmith's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5W-DH Duluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo E6600 @3.17Ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 PC800 4x1GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 3x 250Gb 7200RPM
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Power Color HD3870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Invasion
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MK241H 24" Full HD

Curiosity asks, what Temps are you getting both idle and under load on STOCK speeds with the STOCK cooler no overclocking what-so-ever?

Cheers

Thanks
    • jimborae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 9700K@4.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group DDR-3000 32Gig
      • Storage:
      • 1x Samsung 870 Evo 500Gb SSD, 1 x WD Red 4TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon 5700XT watercooled
      • PSU:
      • XFX 850W Black Edition
      • Case:
      • Phantek Enthoo Prime
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 xDell 24"
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet 70Mb

it has been over 71c a couple of times and what your not getting is this is 2.4ghz not 3ghz if it where your cpu i dout you would except that .......
    I do get it thanks very much and that is exactly what I'm saying.

Run the stress testing using OCCT with logging enabled at

1. Default clock speed (2.4Ghz)
    +
    2. Default voltage
    +
    3. Stock Intel HSF+
    +
    4. On an open test bench

Run the stress test for 24hrs, if your highest temps are 65c then yes I would accept that, seen it many times with crap Q6600s. I expect Scan have as well and as it's within limits, and this is all you have so far provided evidence of, Scan quite rightly have refused your rma.

If, however, you when you re-run the stress tests and temps of over 71c+ are recorded then something is wrong.

I know it's frustrating but if I am understanding you correctly I do think you a have bad cpu, you just need to prove it conclusively.

Thanks

Forget open case etc
    stress run it in a normally vented but closed case at stock volts/speed with stock cooler, with the case positioned where it may be reasonably be expected to live.

as is the case now you may find your temps overrun and quite legitimately. it is unreasonable to be expected to run your case opened and on the window ledge to 'improve airflow'!

Senior Citizen.
    Thanks
    • daza's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI P35 (the green one)
      • CPU:
      • X3210 @ 3.6ghz 1.38v
      • Memory:
      • OCZ Sli PC8500 @ 1050 mhz
      • Storage:
      • 6x 160gb hitachi Deskstars.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GTS (640mb) @ 630/2000
      • PSU:
      • 750w Corsair PSU
      • Case:
      • Lian LI V2000
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x 19" daewoo @ 1440x900
      • Internet:
      • 8meg BT.

Two things from extreme overclocking Ive learnt.

One, the amount of thermal interface material used is a huge factor to little and meh to much and meh.

two, a backplate can bring temps down by 5c maybe more.

three make tripple sure theres no caps raising the heatsink a few mm.

Then double check to see if the heatsink is making perfect contact.

If that doesnt work then upto 70c and theres nout you can do, no chip is made to be overclocked simple as.

Thanks
    • Dreaming's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • e6300 @ 2.8ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 PC6400
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB
      • PSU:
      • Antec Neo HE 550
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC A05B
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 22" 226BW
      • Internet:
      • NTL 4Mb/s

Quote Originally Posted by daza View Post
    Two things from extreme overclocking Ive learnt.

One, the amount of thermal interface material used is a huge factor to little and meh to much and meh.
    I've found it does very but not by the stated amount of the OP. Something like 10 degrees between good use of TIM and bad use of TIM. Of course I guess it's all proportional

I've seen issues like this before and whilst it does suck, the way the industry works means modders and overclockers get very raw deals because nobody guarantees things will work outside specification, so if it doesn't at all they can just tell you to get stuffed.

Though I think testing the CPU with an aftermarket heatsink is a bit suspect. I mean, with the temps you're getting, using the stock heatsink on a hot day isn't going to have much trouble pushing it outside of specifications.

Really lots of sympathy for you but 'thats the way the cookie crumbles', if you're overclocking and/or modding generally you are except from warranties . But seeing scan being quite nice before they might help, but then again they might not.
    Dreaming

C2D E6300 @ 2.8 | | Abit IP35 Pro | | 4GB Corsair XMS2 800 | | BFG 8800GTS OC2 320MB | | 500GB Western Digital for OS + 1500GB Seagate for Storage | | Antec NeoHE 550 | | Lian Li PC A05B | | Samsung 226BW 22"

Thanks
    • polly69's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X370 Pro Carbon
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1700X
      • Memory:
      • 8gb XMS3 DDR3
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows10 ultimate 64x
      • Monitor(s):
      • DELL S2309W
      • Internet:
      • 200mb Virgin

ive just been and reinsalled it in my main pc for the first time since ive had it back and when i went into the bios to change the setting on the first boot after being in for 30 seconds it was showing a temprature of 62c with the Xigmatek HDT-S1283. I then spent 20 minutes making sure it was seated correctly and it was so next i changed the HSF for the other HSF they promote for the q6600 the Akasa Revo bubble jet the mounting system is different with that but still no good the tempratures are higher now than when i sent it back.

I didnt do any benchmarking as it was only on for minutes both time and i have my pc set to run coretemp and everest at startup and it was hitting 67c just loading startup programs so benchmarking loading all 4 cores up would have thottled it back within second and shut my pc down.

Ive ordered another board a Asus P5K-VM iG33 from scan it will be here monday and i will be using Zalman CNPS8000 Ultra Quiet Low Profile CPU Cooler because ive taken the quad out because i know it would have shut down im going to test it in this new board from scan on monday this wil confirm 110% that its faulty.

I dont know why everyone is talking about overclocking as im stock what im getting at that its stinking hot at 2.4ghz so what chance do you have at 3.3ghz which they are basically saying it will do with the right componants.

I would be more than happy at 2.4ghz at 35c it was a choise between this Q6600 and a E8400 looks like i made the wrong choise and that i will be giving up the £130 i paid for this cpu because its useless if it blows up theres nothing stopping it taking out my motherboard and graphics card i shall be ordering a E8400-8500.

I forgot to mention that i put my E4400 back in and its running at a happy 34c with the akasa revo

Thanks
    • not_my_ip's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5K
      • CPU:
      • Core 2 Duo E8200 @3.21
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB 800 TwinX
      • Storage:
      • Samsung F1 7500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Liberty 400W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Swing
      • Monitor(s):
      • Hanns G HU196D
      • Internet:
      • Adsl24

I fully understand polly69 disappointment. CPU running at 67c after few minutes on better than stock cooler is just wrong. Especially that this CPU is running on default settings.

On my own topic Wesley from returns said that OC voids warranty, when on Scan own webpage: This Intel Core 2 Quad-Core Q6600 G0 SLACR CPU will run up to 3.30Ghz or higher (when overclocked) and used in conjunction with the correct Memory, Motherboard and updated Heat Sink Fan

Is it just me or here is encouragement to OC CPU, and if anything goes wrong Scan will say, sorry no warranty you overclocked this and this void warranty. I'm just confused in matter of warranty and overclocking.

Anyway I can't judge who's fault is there, as we seen here only one side of the story. I'm really sorry for Polly as this must be v. disappointing atm. Good luck

Registered+
    Thanks
    • asmith's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5W-DH Duluxe
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo E6600 @3.17Ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 PC800 4x1GB Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 3x 250Gb 7200RPM
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi Power Color HD3870
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 Invasion
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MK241H 24" Full HD

I didnt do any benchmarking as it was only on for minutes both time and i have my pc set to run coretemp and everest at startup and it was hitting 67c just loading startup programs so benchmarking loading all 4 cores up would have thottled it back within second and shut my pc down.
    revo
    That does sound way too high for me from what I have read on the internet, far from normal the only other reason I can think of which would warrant these high temps is possibly a faulty onboard sensor on the motherboard itself.

Other than that have you tried using an external means of measuring core tempuature such as a multi fan control with temp diodes?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information