Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: disappointed with scan RMA

Thanks

disappointed with scan RMA

Hi guys,

The monitor I bought from Scan 1.5yrs ago developed a fault in the backlight but it had 3 yrs warranty so I contacted the manufacturer LG but since the monitor is discontinued they couldn't fix/replace it. They told me to contact Scan and sent me a letter to send to them with the RMA to explain the situation. The letter basically said that Scan would be responsible for replacement.

So I RMA the monitor to Scan and it has been tested etc showing the fault but I have been refused to be given an equivalent spec monitor. The monitor I had a tilt/swivel/height adjustable stand and used a decent panel rather than the cheap TN panels. TN panels are no use to me as I do image work due to poor viewing angles.

I have been offered only monitors within the £200 range which is ridiculous. These monitors are no way equivalent spec to the one I had originally purchased. The monitor still has 1.5yrs warranty left so I fail to understand why I am being treated like this. If my 500gb hard drive broke under warranty I don't expect the replacement to be a 200gb drive!

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Re: disappointed with scan RMA

Out of interest, what monitor was it?.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Not knowing the specific legalitys myself i would imagine they would offer you a replacement upto the value of your previous purchase.

So if you original was £200 they are only have to replace to that amount.

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

This isn't Scans fault.
    You have been palmed off by LG.

Thanks
    • leepen@scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Sniper M5 mATX Z87
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4670K @ 4Ghz - Prolimatech Megahalem / BitFenix Spectre Green
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP (Green) 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1x Ssung 2TB, 2xSsung 1TB, 240GB OCZ VTX3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 650
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM550w
      • Case:
      • Aerocool Dead Silence Cube (Lime Green)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27iiyama XUB2790 Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 50MB Virgin

In many cases such as these, we only honour the warranty for the first 12 months. After that it's pure manufacturers warranty. I'd suggest having a stern word with LG to see if there's an equivalent model that can be offered as legally, you are entitled to a repair/replacement from the manufacturer, not the retailer in this case.
    Lee P Retail Sales & System Quotes - leep@scan - 0871 4724786 (Direct) - Check out my mixes here;

www.mixcloud.com/penrar

Thanks

It was a LG 245wp which cost me around £445 at the time.

I had a few phone calls with LG before I contacted Scan and they couldn't replace it and didn't have the parts to repair. Now I'm stuck in the middle with no monitor...

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Legally LG have to offer you a repair or replacement. So no isn't a valid answer. Contact your Citizens Advice Bureau. Also maybe try asking Saracen on these forums for some info. He is very good with things like this.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • Meaker's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P55M-UD4
      • CPU:
      • i5 750 (4.34ghz)
      • Memory:
      • GSkill 1600 Ripjaw @ 1333 6-6-6-22 1.5v
      • Storage:
      • 2x 320GB Western Digital RE3 Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • HD5830 1GB @ 1000/1375
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 600W silent pro
      • Case:
      • Antec P180 mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 21.5" Benq 1920x1080 LED + 19" Hanns-G 1440x900
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb O2

Also within reason its spec not price.

When I bought a 3kg Pentium M 2ghz notebook it was unreasonable of the company at the time (not scan) to offer me a 4.5kg P4 notebook.

Also yes I agree go kick LG's ass.

Good companies like BFG will take your old 6800GT and give you a 9600GT as a replacement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by neonplanet40 View Post
    Legally LG have to offer you a repair or replacement. So no isn't a valid answer. Contact your Citizens Advice Bureau. Also maybe try asking Saracen on these forums for some info. He is very good with things like this.
    Actually, no they don't, the contract is with Scan. LG have confirmed the monitor can't be repaired so its up to Scan to sort something, although legally the most they have to do is offer a part refund based on the use so far.

Si

Thanks
    • Blitzen's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ABIT iX38 QuadGT
      • CPU:
      • Intel Quad Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz : 30 Degrees Idle - 41-46 Degrees Load
      • Memory:
      • 4 x 1GB OCZ Platinum PC6400 @ 4-4-4-12
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 500GB Samsung Spinpoints - RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX 285
      • PSU:
      • Enermax MODU 82+ 625W
      • Case:
      • Antec Nine Hundred
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic Q22wb 22" Widescreen - 5ms
      • Internet:
      • O2 premium @ 17mb

Quote Originally Posted by simonf7 View Post
    Actually, no they don't, the contract is with Scan. LG have confirmed the monitor can't be repaired so its up to Scan to sort something, although legally the most they have to do is offer a part refund based on the use so far.

Si
    What i would expect is the monitor is returned to Scan and then forward it to LG.
    Scan are not responsible for the repair/replacement so you lost your way there. If LG say no way, then Scan and the OP should really take it up with LG.

Where you get the part refund bit from then god only knows as you have confused yourself.
    The part refund is not determined by Scan but by LG if they accept the monitor is not repairable and do not want to replace it.
    Scan certainly dont offer part refunds off their own back and rightly so.

Last point where you are not 100% is the contract being with Scan. To an extent you are right. But......after 6 months it is up to the OP to determine there was an inherent fault.

Sorry....but this is totally an LG issue that they should be dealing with but Scan should be doing the leg work for the return to LG.

Thanks

Perhaps Scan can try getting LG to replace it somehow? Can LG just refund the money I paid if they can't sort anything out?

Thanks
    • leepen@scan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Sniper M5 mATX Z87
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 4670K @ 4Ghz - Prolimatech Megahalem / BitFenix Spectre Green
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP (Green) 1600Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1x Ssung 2TB, 2xSsung 1TB, 240GB OCZ VTX3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 650
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM550w
      • Case:
      • Aerocool Dead Silence Cube (Lime Green)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27iiyama XUB2790 Monitor
      • Internet:
      • 50MB Virgin

Really does depend on the warranty terms. Many items are direct warranty with manufacturer, especially monitors. In most cases we can only honour the warranty internally within the first 28days or 12months dependant upon the item. After this, you need to contact the manufacturer as your warranty is with LG, not Scan. Look @ the warranty terms for the following LG monitor;

http://www.scan.co.uk/Product.aspx?WebProductId=964136

Details

Duration: 36 months

Type: Direct

DOA Period: 28 days

RTB Period: 1 months

Manufacturer Contact Details

Manufacturer: LG ELECTRONICS

Telephone: 0870 607 5544

If the monitor is;

a) Faulty within 28 days - we'll refund or replace
    b) Dead on Arrival - We'll refund or replace

Otherwise, this is a direct warranty purely with manufacturer after the initial 28 days. Now I'm not saying this is the case for your monitor but this, generally speaking, tends to be the case with monitor warranties.

Give us a call on Tuesday when we're back in the office.

All the best
    Lee P Retail Sales & System Quotes - leep@scan - 0871 4724786 (Direct) - Check out my mixes here;

www.mixcloud.com/penrar

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
    What i would expect is the monitor is returned to Scan and then forward it to LG.
    Scan are not responsible for the repair/replacement so you lost your way there. If LG say no way, then Scan and the OP should really take it up with LG.
    In theory, and how it should work, is the OP should only have to deal with Scan as that's where the monitor was bought. In reality where a warranty is offered by the manufacturer it can be quicker to bypass them and go direct to the manufacturer. It is against the OP's statutory rights for Scan to palm him off to the manufacturer when things go wrong, ultimately its Scan's responsibility to sort it out.

Where you get the part refund bit from then god only knows as you have confused yourself.
    The part refund is not determined by Scan but by LG if they accept the monitor is not repairable and do not want to replace it.
    Scan certainly dont offer part refunds off their own back and rightly so.
    Nope, not confused, if something is not repairable and there is no suitable replacement, the legal minimum a retailer has to offer is a part refund based on any usage the purchaser may have had. In my experience though, most retailers tend to offer some sort of replacement and don't go down this route very often.

Last point where you are not 100% is the contract being with Scan. To an extent you are right. But......after 6 months it is up to the OP to determine there was an inherent fault.
    We'll have to agree to disagree as I am 100% correct the contract is with Scan, the 3 year warranty may be offered by LG but it is up to Scan to make sure LG honour it as it is them who sold it to the OP, not LG. Although, again, in reality it may be quicker for the OP to deal with LG direct. Where your 6 months quote comes into it I don't know, I know the OP has to prove the fault is inherent after this time but it doesn't magically mean Scan are suddenly released from their statutory obligations.

Sorry....but this is totally an LG issue that they should be dealing with but Scan should be doing the leg work for the return to LG.
    You're right, Scan should be doing the leg work, but if LG don't come through its up to Scan to sort something out with the OP.

Anyway, hopefully Saracen will be along soon to put us all right

Si
    Last edited by simonf7; 24-05-2009 at 03:51 PM.

Thanks

Thanks for the info guys, not sure what to make of it all as there is conflicting info

Scan have offered a part refund but I didn't want this, just want a working monitor of the same spec! I will call Scan on Tuesday and see what else can be done although I think it is better if they can try sort something out with LG as I didn't get very far with them. Hopefully they have a different response this time as I contacted them beginning of April I think.

I'm beginning to wish I bought the Dell in the first place

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aphex View Post
    Thanks for the info guys, not sure what to make of it all as there is conflicting info
    For what it's worth, simonf7 is pretty much on the money (at least as far as my understanding of consumer law is concerned).

You might as well just see what Scan have to say on Tuesday - I won't stick my oar in now and risk unnecessarily inflaming a situation which should and in all probability will be resolved amicably, but do bear in mind that warranties (whether from the supplier or manufacturer) don't in any way replace or invalidate your statutory rights under the SoGA.

Thanks

I will not go into too much detail here although I do have the act and all its relevant terms and conditions as PDF's on my hard drive.

There are 2 completely separate parts to this thread, one is regarding the warranty and the legal situation, they are completely separate and distinct.

A warranty is in addition to your legal rights, not in place of them; and it is a criminal offence to try and avoid your legal responsibilities if a claim is made regarding the legal responsibilities of the seller. (Yes I did say criminal offence not a civil offence)

However this does not appear to be the situation here unless this is a known inherent fault with this particular monitor there may not be any legal rights involved. If this is the case the claim is against the warranty offered by the manufacturer which is in ADDITION to your statuary rights not against Scan.

Theoretically in this situation Scan are quite within their rights to wash their hands of the whole matter, whilst this may not be the best solution in terms of customer relations they are entitled to do so. In this instance Scan have not said they will not help, they have asked the original poster to wait until Tuesday when they will see what they can do to help.

I am not the greatest fan in the world of Scan after the past few weeks handling of the scansure affair, however I have to say they do appear to be acting in good faith and trying to help so I suggest giving them a chance to exactly that.

If you want chapter and verse including the paragraphs of the relevant acts wait until Saracen is around because this is a hobby of his (and he types a lot better than me) but I am certain he will tell you much the same thing even if he uses different words. (PS Remember its a Bank holiday weekend so he may not be around as much as normal)

Thread Information