Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead or fixed pixels are they acceptable?

RFV
    Registered+
    Thanks

Dead or fixed pixels are they acceptable?

If Scan are really interested in customer care, why don't they implement a pixel check on LCD monitors prior to dispatch. They could charge for such a service and I'm sure the take-up would be huge, nobody wants to pay for an expensive LCD monitor only to find dead or faulty pixels, and then to be told the monitor cannot be replaced because it meets this or that ISO standard is like adding insult to injury! Personally if I've paid in excess of £300 for a 20.1 inch LCD monitor, and I receive one with 4 dead pixels, or 3 dead pixels, or 2 dead pixels, or 1 dead pixel, I don't care what ISO standard it meets ... it's FAULTY!!!

Right now there are other e-tailers offering pixel testing pror to dispatch ... why not Scan?

Thanks
    what if they got damage whilst they were delivered???

Its not possible , a lot of this stuff in this business get damage whilst its transported, it does come factory checked.
    I myself do think it would be good , but it just aint practical.

Large Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RFV
    If Scan are really interested in customer care, why don't they implement a pixel check on LCD monitors prior to dispatch. They could charge for such a service and I'm sure the take-up would be huge, nobody wants to pay for an expensive LCD monitor only to find dead or faulty pixels, and then to be told the monitor cannot be replaced because it meets this or that ISO standard is like adding insult to injury! Personally if I've paid in excess of £300 for a 20.1 inch LCD monitor, and I receive one with 4 dead pixels, or 3 dead pixels, or 2 dead pixels, or 1 dead pixel, I don't care what ISO standard it meets ... it's FAULTY!!!

Right now there are other e-tailers offering pixel testing pror to dispatch ... why not Scan?
    If the TFT is within fault tolerance I would assume they would not be able to obtain a replacement from the manufacturer.
    To err is human. To really foul things up ... you need a computer.

RFV
    Registered+
    Thanks
    So how come Aria amongst others are offering pixel checking, they guarantee the monitor free of any faulty pixels for, I think, a period of 48 hours, on a 20.1 panel the charge is 25 quid which is quite expensive, but not when you consider the price of 20.1 inch panels. If you shop around there are other e-tailers that will do the pixel test for 10 quid which would definitely be worth it if your buying a cheaper panel. Browse any of the "monitor sections" on the popular forums and that is the number one question you will see asked over and over again " are there any dead pixels". Nobody wants a new LCD with dead or stuck pixels period!
    Last edited by RFV; 28-08-2006 at 12:59 AM.

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    Nobody wants a new LCD with dead or stuck pixels period!
    eeeew.

Thanks
    So how come Aria amongst others are offering pixel checking, they guarantee the monitor free of any faulty pixels for, I think, a period of 48 hours, on a 20.1 panel the charge is 25 quid which is quite expensive, but not when you consider the price of 20.1 inch panels. If you shop around there are other e-tailers that will do the pixel test for 10 quid which would definitely be worth it if your buying a cheaper panel. Browse any of the "monitor sections" on the popular forums and that is the number one question you will see asked over and over again " are there any dead pixels". Nobody wants a new LCD with dead or stuck pixels period!

All manufacturing has defects, nothing is perfect. The ISO levels are there to ensure a good balance between production and cost.
    The problem with “pixel checking” services, is not the actually checking itself, but what happens to the monitor once it’s been found to have a dead pixel.
    Manufactures wont take them back as they fall within ISO levels, and they wont get sent to the next person who pays the £10 or so because they have done the same – guess where it goes ? Yup, the first poor bugger who doesn’t pay the £10 gets a monitor with dead pixels. I know for a fact Aria has done this, many other company’s do too – there isn’t a lot else they *can* do.

While I totally agree that dead pixels are annoying (I know how pee’d id be if my 24” Widescreen Dell had any), the issue isn’t with Scan (or the retailers), but the ISO limits and manufactures.

The only way you can guarantee yourself a dead free pixel TFT is to buy a “Class 1” produced one. These are what are used in mission critical situations, such as the military and hospitals. Even “pixel” checking services are prone to human error only far too often.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb
    iæm with Agent on this one. The more people opt for pixel checking, the more likely you are to get a duffer when you don't pay the premium.

I'm only speculating, but perhaps this wasn't possible with Scan due to space and staff constraints. We know they are strugling right now with their warehouse extension and increase in sales. Adding a pixel check service to this would probably be a nightmare. In fact, depending on the volumes of panels shipped, this might not be possible/practical at all.

RFV
    Registered+
    Thanks
    ask yourself this question, your shopping for 20 or 24 inch LCD in the £300 - £400 price bracket, who are you gonna buy from, a retailer that offers pixel testing that guarantees the monitor you receive will be free of pixel defaults, or one that doesn't. Even if they charge 25 quid, it's a no-brainer!

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    is this really scan related? seems like a general observation thread....
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Flat cap, Whippets, Cave. Clunk's Avatar
    Thanks
    personally, if it was aria, i wouldnt give them the steam off one of my turds, nevermind £25 for alledgedly checking something properly. have you ever returned anything to aria with a specific fault, only for it to came back to you 8 weeks later with the same fault, and be charged for the priviledge? good luck with them anyway, you will need it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk
    personally, if it was aria, i wouldnt give them the steam off one of my turds, nevermind £25 for alledgedly checking something properly. have you ever returned anything to aria with a specific fault, only for it to came back to you 8 weeks later with the same fault, and be charged for the priviledge? good luck with them anyway, you will need it.
    i totally agree mate - there in the same sort of league as OCUK and eBuyer
    Contrary to the odd name and translucent-grey color, Pocari Sweat does not taste like sweat
    Hardware:

Main PC
    - See 'My System'
    Server - Athlon XP 1700+, 1GB, 500GB HD
    Laptop - Compaq AMD Turion 64 X2, 60GB HD, 1GB
    Media Centre Shuttle - P4 3.0 Skt 775 Shuttle, 1GB, 120GB HD
    NAS - 400GB
    Home Entertainment - Xbox 360 with 37" HD LCD TV, Acoustic Energy Aegis EVO A speakers (5,1), Yamaha RXV359 AV reciever
    Media Centre II - X2 4000+, 1GB, 400Gb Vista Ultimate

Thanks
    • Sumanji's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB, Samsung 970 EVO 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 850W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C TG
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GK950F 34" (3440x1440 @144Hz)
      • Internet:
      • Verizon FiOS (1Gb / 1Gb)
    Even if they charge 25 quid, it's a no-brainer!
    Why don't you buy from Aria then?

Thanks
    All TFT monitors sold by Scan are of class 2 specification only. This includes all monitors sold in the past and in the near future.

http://www.scan.co.uk/iso.asp

Unfortunately pre testing TFT monitors for dead pixels prior to dead pixels would not be feasible.

Sorry

Thanks
    Surprised at this really.

I bought a 1280x720 projector (from Ivojo) and most places offer a pixel check when you buy a projector. Ivojo happen to do them for free (and were chucking in a free bulb when I bought it). It's an LCD display, it has pixels which can be stuck or dead, and to test one of those takes hours PLUS all the hassle of setting it up with a screen, dark room, etc.

'course they cost a lot more than a monitor too, but still. I'd never buy a display and risk one bit of it being broken - let's face it, stuck or dead or whatever = *broken*.

Are Class 1 monitors that hard to find?

DM

Thanks
    • Lee H's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z370 Carbon Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 8700K Unlocked CPU
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 LPX
      • Storage:
      • 250GB 960 EVO + a few more drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6GB Palit GTX 1060 Dual
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750W Modular Blue
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T White Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 PRO
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" Asus MX279H & 24" Acer 3D GD245HQ + the 3D glasses
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media
    Quote Originally Posted by dancingmatt
    Are Class 1 monitors that hard to find?
    Try EXTREMELY Expensive rather than hard to find. They can charge the premium for these as the places that require these the 'best' equipment, and they tend to be willing to pay more for displays which are pixel perfect.

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC
    The thing is, you don’t need a dead pixel guarantee, because under the distance selling regulations you have the right to return anything you buy within 14 days for a full refund (unless it is perishable or made to order, wich clearly does not apply here). You have to give a reason, but the retailer can’t refuse the return if they don’t agree with the reason.

I had this discussion with scan telesales when I brought a laptop from them. I said that if when it arrived there was a serous problem with dead pixels. (more than one or two stuck sub pixels), I would just return the laptop and say that I did not like it, so if they wanted to save themelves the cost of carrage, faf at the warehouse, and visa’s commission for charging and refunding me, they could save themselves some trouble by checking the screen before the laptop went out.

They said that they could not do that and that if I wanted to return the laptop once I had it, that was my right, but their dead pixels policy could not be changed. As it was there was no problem with the laptop’s screen, so the situation did not arise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information