• Jedziah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit AB9 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Duo 2.4GHz (Conroe Core)
      • Memory:
      • 3Gb 800MHz Corsair Dominator
      • Storage:
      • 1x 160Gb WD Caviar, 1x 250Gb Samsung Spinpoint, 1x 500Gb WD External MyBook
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gainward 1Gb Nvida GeForce 8800GT Golden Sample
      • PSU:
      • Replaced a Hiper Type-R with branded Arctic Modular 650W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian 632 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x LG 19" Flatron (1 has sadly died!)
      • Internet:
      • 10mbps

Re: Overclockers UK Welcome back offer

I've used OcUK once too (and only once...)

Much like the other chap before, I ordered a PSU which was on offer and was at the time a fantastic deal. I did not expect the offer entail that I received an entirely different PSU to the one I ordered (wasn't modular and was not the brand which I had ordered). After being told I would have to front the returns shipping charge in order to receive the right one, I nipped it in the bud and just went for the refund.

Reminds me of the old fast show sketch where the wife would send her husband out to buy some milk and he would return with a bread bin and a strimmer!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perfectionist View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by xrob View Post
    What wrong with OCUK?
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    a lot of people [who?] think that the bias against OCUK is unfair and that a lot of the OCUK-hate is related to the fact that you get free postage with Scan on Hexus, so most people here tend to shop with Scan
    Well, I haven't bought much from Scan and though I've had one problem with them they weren't too bad enough that I'm still happy to purchase from them (they seem to be a lot more helpful on the forums rather than phone, unusually for companies) - and I can't stand overclockers UK anymore. Can't really say I'm biased towards Scan!

OCUK, looking at what I read via google (one of em, here's something that brings up a bunch more stuff) after I had my own troubles with the company and having a look at the forums I can pretty much guess what would happen if I posted something like this questioning company policy over there! Their forum's ran with a childish mafia theme to it with the owner of the company calling himself "The Don" and jackbooted junior employees looking to exercise their "authority" on anyone who "steps out of line"...

Hopefully it's understandable why someone would get a bit sick of paying £3 or so every time they want to call for the pleasure of being put on hold, plus £1 every further 10 minutes of the call and them never ringing you back even when they say they will get someone to. Even if it's not much, it's not right and is exploitive. Though my post asking Scan about the practice pretty much sums it all up I think, probably better than me getting into it all over again here

But even worse is the reasons for needing to call them: 1stly, my PC with a (retail, it was non-standard and I paid for it separately) Blu-Ray drive was missing software required to actually use it (Windows Vista has no native support for Blu-Ray video), hoop after hoop and denial after denial before finally getting an older version of what I should have actually got with it.
    2: no backup media whatsoever sent out to me so I was unable to reinstall windows when they later changed the motherboard (and so the network card, causing a lot of conflicts - they didn't even boot up the system it seemed let alone stress test it) I had to call quite a few times later on when I had problems to get it sorted, with several refusals before finally sending me out a disk
    3: very shoddy workmanship no QC testing whatsoever, one time I received the PC and it failed to boot up the day after with failed overclock settings, had to reset the speeds all back to default and send it back again. Same when I had problems with the graphics card, seemingly no bothering to test at all, just pick some parts chuck em in then ship it back out (to add insult to injury they give you an unbranded OEM replacement graphics card instead of the premium price sapphire you bought)
    There's probably more, it went on over half a year before I finally decided enough was enough and to send the whole thing back threatening trading standards and legal action if necessary to recover my money.

I think OCuk are pretty much one of those cowboy internet companies who it's fine to buy some bits from but hell if you need any support, returns, or find stuff missing after. Buying a built system from them is probably where you're most likely to notice things going bad, but I wouldn't even buy parts from them at this point in case I needed to get replacement/refund and have to actually contact someone who isn't an automated emailer robot. They really go out of their way to hide any contact numbers apart from the premium rate 0871 ones (it was actually EASIER to get the owner of the company's home address and other things which is pretty ridiculous).
    Didn't realise there was a whole thread about em, here's my experience I posted in another thread ^

Thanks
    • Tifosi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI LanParty UT nF4 SLI-DR
      • CPU:
      • AMD64 Venice 3200 s939
      • Memory:
      • 2x 1GB DDR400 Corsair XMS
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 2.5" 64GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce G210T / Geforce 7800GT
      • PSU:
      • ?
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V1110
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 12.04
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2405FPW
      • Internet:
      • VM

ditto I'd rather pay 10% more and use Scan or Ebuyer than touch OCUK.

Transmitthis

Also received bad service from them, missing item, rude emails.
    Def not ever using them again.
    There not any cheaper when you take in there high postage either.

I would hate to have to use their RMA or email for support from such a place.

Registered+
    Thanks

I have used OC's forums throughout this year, I find the folks there quite the jovial bunch, happy to help out when your in a psot of trouble. Saying that, I have yet to buy from OC's themselves...

Thanks

Bought few items from them didn't have any problems but at the same time never had 10% off

Thanks
    • tinners's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel P35 Shuttle
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6700 @ 3.2 GHz
      • Memory:
      • OCZ - 2Gb + Corsair TwinX 2Gb
      • Storage:
      • Raptor X 150Gb + 2TB Tranquil Windows Home Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX ATI 5770
      • PSU:
      • Shuttle PSU
      • Case:
      • Shuttle SP35P2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407WFP (A04)
      • Internet:
      • Talk Talk, hovering around 1Mb

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyMonkey View Post
    Thats because they havent all been banned yet...
    I was a happy OcUk customer and a big forum poster (1k+ posts) - Never had a problem.
    One day i had to return something and what a disaster that was. So i posted on the forums saying how pathetic the returns were as well as requesting an admin to give me an update on what was happening.
    Next day my ip was banned and account closed - They did that in a heartbeat to one of there top posters/contributors.
    Haha how very true. I tried to get some tips on how best to sort out my RMA problem via the forums, I didnt get banned but my post was deleted.

I have had nothing but hassle with OCUK. I have ordered a few things from them, and maanged to RMA one thing successfully (some dead memory) which took 3 attempts and 3 different photos of memtest taken on 3 different motherboards (yes I was that annoyed I went to my local computer shop to get them to test it for me with a number of boards)

The other memory I tried to RMA got sent back to me no fault found and a letter satying they had take £15 from my credit card to do the test. Again memtest fault on 2 boards, but no joy this time in getting OCUK to do anything about it.

I wouldnt take them up for an offer of something even if it was free for a fear that a) it wouldnt work or b) they'd take the money from my credit card later anyway.

Bunch of muppets

Registered+
    Thanks

I placed a big order with them a few years ago and didn't have any problems. My friend on the other hand, had a problem with a RMA and had a bit of a moan on their forum. Needless to say his post was deleted and he was banned from posting. He only managed to get his situation sorted after several particularly threatening phone calls to the wonderfully unhelpful staff in Staffordshire.
    Whilst my experience of buying from them was good, my friends ordeal (like so many others) was enough to put me off forever...

Registered+
    Thanks

I used OC a couple of times a couple of years ago and swore I would never use them again.

Missing items and rude responses mean that I vote with my wallet.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • idlehanz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5KC
      • CPU:
      • E8200
      • Memory:
      • Kingston Hiper-X DDR2 800
      • Storage:
      • WD RE2 80GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • PNY 8800GT 256MB
      • Case:
      • Old Chieftec monster DA01 or something
      • Operating System:
      • XP/Vista/Ubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

& here is quite possibly another good point in case for not using them!!

http://forums.hexus.net/help-technic...me-please.html

I wonder how many more they will burn before they end up taking their biz down under??

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789

Thread Information