• BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    Quote Originally Posted by TomWilko
    But Playstation has the mass appeal with the showcase of games.

The DS has a huge catalog of games already - 99% of GBA games will work on it. This means that people can 'upgrade' to the DS and not render their old games obsolite; whereas psp buyers will have to buy everything from scratch.

just another nail in its coffin imho

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    Do you really think the PSP is going to die? Seriously?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Banned
    Thanks
    Look, this is how I see it:

On the one hand, we have the fact that everyone who has tried to compete with Nintendo since the launch of the GameBoy in 1989 has been crushed, pounded mercilessly into the ground, reduced to their component atoms, and scattered to the four corners of the globe. SEGA, Neo-Geo, and many more have tried, all have failed.

But Sony are a different animal; Sony arrived on the home console scene with the Playstation (which was originally going to be a CD add-on for the SNES, didn't you know?) and firmly established themselves not only as a credible third player, along with (at the time) SEGA and Nintendo, but as the market leader in a lot of cases.

What they also brought with them was credibility. The Sony image is vastly different to the Nintendo image; we, the educated minority, know it’s about games, but the uneducated masses are more likely to go for image, and Sony have a trendy, cool, 18-to-24-year-old's-play-with-our-stuff image. This is what Sony had that the other's didn't - they tried to take Nintendo on at its own game, and you can't do that in the handheld market, because, at the moment, and for the last decade and more, Nintendo is the handheld market.

No, Sony didn't try to beat them at their own game, they changed the rules of the game - and it worked. I think this is going to be a clash of two genuinely capable, well supported, great looking machines, with tons of good games. This will not be another first round knock-out for Nintendo.

On the face of it, both companies are in a very strong position - Nintendo are already the undisputed number 1 in this area, but Sony have another product which combines a genuinely good system, with a great screen and top notch games, to appeal to the real gamers, and the image of trendy street cred, to appeal to the chavs, kiddies and posers. Right or wrong, that's how it is.

We all know who's going to buy the DS, and we all know who's going to buy a PSP, the key is how much of the other's market can the two companies edge into? Is it more likely that Japanese Pokemon kiddies will buy a PSP, or that 24 year old style conscious gamers will buy a DS?

The core markets are set in stone, it’s the rest of us which will decide who comes out on top.

Personally, I'm a big Nintendo fan, and until recently the lure of the first-party Nintendo titles, such as the latest Mario and Zelda games were what influenced my purchasing decisions; that's why I got a Cube over an Xbox or PS2. After having spent the last few days reading review after review, impression after impression, checking out likely game releases and the like - I've decided to get a Sony PSP.

Make of that what you will. Both systems are going to sell by the bucket load though.
    Last edited by Stewart; 15-12-2004 at 02:42 PM.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    not die, but i dont think that it will be a big success. I think it will fall second to the DS, and when it comes down to it, thats as good as dieing. The gamecube came second in the end [between sony/ninty] and its pretty much died a death. Same with the N64 and all the other consoles like the DC/jaguar/neo geo etc

doubt they can both be out there doing very well at the same time. DS will come out on top as it has the better library of games - already has thousands at launch - its more novel/innovative with its 2 screens. better battery life, more resistant to screen scratches due to its clamshell design...just better suited to portability.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    The DS has a huge catalog of games already - 99% of GBA games will work on it. This means that people can 'upgrade' to the DS and not render their old games obsolite; whereas psp buyers will have to buy everything from scratch.

just another nail in its coffin imho
    Yes, that is one bonus. Although, after4 years of GBA ownership, I can honestly say i cant wait for some more suitable games.

One thing that bothers me is that GBA games are still ~£27, and considering they are on average pretty poor, and that DS games will be not much more, theres nothing really in it for the new buyer, only those who already have a bit of a collection.

Some gems, but easily 19/20 games on it are just horrid licensed cloned games to milk the parents out of their money

Banned
    Thanks
    Anyone claiming the GameBoy Advance doesn't have any decent games should play Advance Wars, Advance Wars II, Golden Sun, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Fire Emblem, Mario Golf: Advance Tour, Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Ninja Five-O, etc, etc.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    Anyone claiming the GameBoy Advance doesn't have any decent games should play Advance Wars, Advance Wars II, Golden Sun, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap, Fire Emblem, Mario Golf: Advance Tour, Super Mario Kart: Super Circuit, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Zero Mission, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, Ninja Five-O, etc, etc.
    Now now, re-read my post, you'll find my figures to be quite accurate. The game release list is at about 1800 now, so if you can name me 100 games for the GBA that are worthy of their price tag, i'll give you full credit

There are some golden games, some really great games, but the majority is really blatantly just attractive colours to lure parents to part with their cash.

Im not saying the GBA is the only system with that problem, but out of all the systems ive played (excluding the previous gameboys), it seems to have it worst.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Spud1
    not die, but i dont think that it will be a big success. I think it will fall second to the DS, and when it comes down to it, thats as good as dieing. The gamecube came second in the end [between sony/ninty] and its pretty much died a death. Same with the N64 and all the other consoles like the DC/jaguar/neo geo etc

doubt they can both be out there doing very well at the same time. DS will come out on top as it has the better library of games - already has thousands at launch - its more novel/innovative with its 2 screens. better battery life, more resistant to screen scratches due to its clamshell design...just better suited to portability.
    From the public response, especially those in countries that have not received it yet, interest is very high!

I mean, i made a thread on an american board on the launch of the PSP, the response from just looking at the machine got a lot of newcomers interested, then even more came along as they links to reviews and gameplay footage. Battery, again, was really the only one concern on their mind. But 14 pages later it was clearly the handheld they found more appealing and were prepared to pay a little extra.

But we'll see if those people will actually show through on US release

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcos
    Now now, re-read my post, you'll find my figures to be quite accurate. The game release list is at about 1800 now, so if you can name me 100 games for the GBA that are worthy of their price tag, i'll give you full credit

There are some golden games, some really great games, but the majority is really blatantly just attractive colours to lure parents to part with their cash.

Im not saying the GBA is the only system with that problem, but out of all the systems ive played (excluding the previous gameboys), it seems to have it worst.
    Wasn't aimed at you mate, it was a general statement. I was making the point that the Nintendo GBAs back catalog is a strong plus-point for Nintendo.

But if you insist, I'm sure if you look on IGN at the GBA section, taking all the games which scored, say, an 8.5 or above out of 10, there would be in excess of 100 games. Lets just agree that having a back-catalog of great games, regardless of exactly how many there are, is a positive thing for Nintendo.
    Last edited by Stewart; 15-12-2004 at 05:29 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaul
    Wasn't aimed at you mate, it was a general statement. I was making the point that the Nintendo GBAs back catalog is a strong plus-point for Nintendo.

But if you insist, I'm sure if you look on IGN at the GBA section, taking all the games which scored, say, an 8.5 or above out of 10, there would be in exsess of 100 games. Lets just agree that having a back-catalog of great games, regardless of exactly how many there are, is a positive thing for Nintendo though.
    Ah right, its just that you posted right after my statement, made it sound like a reply to me

And agreed on second point

MD
    Thanks
    • MD's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-M PRO
      • CPU:
      • i5 - i3570k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 2 x 256GB SSD's (Samsung and Crucial)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVidia 640
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 600W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08e MATX
      • Operating System:
      • Win 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Dell Flat Panel
      • Internet:
      • 60mb Virgin Media
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12..._media_add-on/

Makes it interesting now, VERY interesting.

m@
    Please do not message me about Scan Free shipping, I no longer work for HEXUS.net

Banned
    Thanks
    They seem very sure that Nintendo will outsell the Sony machine, just like everyone was sure the Playstation wasn't going to eat into SEGA and Nintendo's market... now, the Playstation is the market leader, SEGA don't even make them anymore and Nintendo is licking its wounds after the Cube got outsold.

MAybe it will, maybe not, but its interesting because Sony tend to do well when they release a system, but handhelds is Nintendo's #1 dominated market.

A clash of the titans.

Sublime HEXUS.net
    Thanks
    • Stoo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Mac Pro
      • CPU:
      • 2*Xeon 5450 @ 2.8GHz, 12MB Cache
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 1600MHz FBDIMM
      • Storage:
      • ~ 2.5TB + 4TB external array
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 4870
      • Case:
      • Mac Pro
      • Operating System:
      • OS X 10.7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Samsung 244T Black
      • Internet:
      • Zen Max Pro
    According to Nintendo before "The DS and PSP are aimed at very different markets, so they should be able to co-exist without any trouble", they seem to have changed their tune a bit

Anyone else thinking that media add-on makes the big N look a bit desperate?
    After all, the DS *really* isn't designed for media playback - I think it'll look dire on that low-res screen, and having the brightness up full to make watching movies etc a nice experience, and decoding mpeg4 video can only be a bad thing for the battery life..

Also, with the added cost it will make the Media DS quite a bit more expensive (once the price come down to actual retail prices), and is bound to be inferior media wise than the PSP..

Now who is shooting themselves in the foot?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by visidigi
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/12..._media_add-on/

Makes it interesting now, VERY interesting.

m@
    I think thats a pretty lame idea

Thanks
    http://insider.ign.com/articles/573/573833p1.html

Wonder how long until i can import for the normal RRP price, a friend just paid £290 for his

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre
    hmm a media card..sounds interesting to be honest.

Its a good move by nintendo really. The console is still designed around, and for games, but it just has extra functionality. Whereas the PSP was designed for both.

Agreed this will mean that the DS will be poorer than the PSP at video playback, but then its gameing potential is better as that was designed for in the first place Would be cool to be able to play mario64 and then watch an episode of the simpsons [taken from my official dvds ofc]. The low resolution shouldnt really be a problem, i watch low res stuff on my iPaq without much trouble.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information