Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CRT or TFT?

Thanks
    hm, well as ive just "impulse bought" a 2005FP.. im not one to talk about being careful. lol

i was originally in your situation, wanting a really nice 17" tft to ensure i wasnt dissapointed due to dead pixels, low quality /motion blur, slow response etc... but after a few weeks considering everything, spoke to lots of people, everyone that has a 19" is happy they bought that over the 17" (can add to the price alot to get a nice low response .. some nice hyundai imagequests avail, aswell as samsungs (and dells who use sammy panels). i was gona get a top of the line iiyama 17", then i saw the top of the line 19" and allowed myself the extra £80 for it, as i figured monitors are gona be standardly 19" and above in a few years, which i hope it would last.. ive had this crt for 7 years now, and i thought, why not.. looked around, asked more people, "GET THAT DELL" was the impression i got.. aria.co.uk special offer saves you £129 on a 2005FP (only £350 inc vat).. so what the hell, 4 inputs for uni (tv / dvi for comp / camera svid), 12ms response (for a 20.1" widescreen tft.. nice. ), good contrast and brightness. ill let you know on my opinion when i recieve it, it best be right as i spent most my money on it

general message from everyone suggests bigger = better, but dont go low quality in exchange for larger screen. dells are very good price and qual atm, and as an ex-avid CRT user ill let you know how it compares in fast paced games, tv / dvds, desktop, appearance etc
    er, if your northbridge fan is humming loudly, disconnect it. _dont_ kick the side of the case, it _will_ break it.
    i know :/

Banned
    Thanks
    Look forward to hearing what you think of your new 19' TFT arsen!

Thanks
    I bought a 19 inch tft off of aria.co.uk, great unit and if you want they'll test it before they send it out to you for dud pixels, it costs 20 quid ish for the test but if you want perfect....
    99.9% of all computer problems are caused by the software between the keyboard and the chair. (A8N-Sli deluxe owners excluded)

Thanks
    I still have a sony g520 21" crt. Ive been tempted by the dell displays and the hp l2335 many times. But 12ms still isnt good enough for tfts to compare to crts yet. They have made a 19" 4ms panel used by viewsonic in one model and benq have an 8ms tft out. These are supposed to be good but I want screen space and great response times as well as better colour reproduction and brightness.
    I have seen and experimented with a few screens as I build systems for friends, and Ive had a dell 2001, sony 19" and a couple of cheapo 17" tfts in my house to play around with as i set up systems. the 2001 was a very very good monitor. but still with the ghosting.

Feels like ive been waiting forever for a 4ms 23" widescreen tft with a very thin bezel and minimilistic silver casing deisgn .. Yes, yes im very particular about my system.

Registered+
    Thanks
    I'm still using my Samsung 19" 957DF CRT, as I'm too cheap to buy a TFT

My sibling bought a Benq 19" TFT, its so much lighter and saves space. PQ is quite good, had to return the first one as it had 3 dead pixels.. OK with the second one.

Thanks
    I'm still on my 19" IIyama VMpro454 crt, but I need to switch to TFT soon to save the deskspace. Any offers?

Bry
    Registered+
    Thanks
    Id personally go for a vp191b ora Xerox XA7-192i . Both use the P-MVA panel from AU Optronics. Which means they are truly good for gaming as resposne tiem is always below 16ms and not just G2G like TN panels, have wide viewing angles (great for movie playback) and offers true 8 bit (16.7 million colours) unlike the other 6 bit TN panels. However these ones do cost £300.
    Personally though its money well worth spent as i dont see a point in buying a TFT that might be lighter and save disk space but actually perform worse in practcially every aspect than a CRT (apart from maybe brightness and contrast)

Thanks
    agreed. a good crt still beats a good tft hands down in most applications, but tfts have been closing those gaps. Now is probably a pretty good time to think about switching to TFT if you need the space back or need the lightweight monitor for lans etc. I was sorely tempted by the vp191b but decided to wait, partly because something better might be out in a year when I replace my pc. Might as well flush out the lot in one fell swoop!

I think the vp191b's main drawback [edit: snip :my mistake!] is (apparently) noise during some dvd/video playback in varied colour over large area backgrounds (eg water, foilage I guess...). Clicky for (imho) a very thorough review of the 191b

Personally I think I might buy the new 19" Xerox (XA7-192i) as the replacement for my iiyama VMpro 454 crt. Cheaper, and by the sound of it a great screen with a decentish warranty system in place. The 7 day return for a pixel error is laid out clearly too.
    Last edited by jamena; 29-09-2005 at 05:31 PM.

Bry
    Registered+
    Thanks
    um jamena where did u get that info as i think youa re mistaken. The vp191b using the P-MVA panel from AU Optronics and as such it has probably one of the best viewing angles for a home TFT atm. certainly far better than any TN panel monitors

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bry
    um jamena where did u get that info as i think youa re mistaken. The vp191b using the P-MVA panel from AU Optronics and as such it has probably one of the best viewing angles for a home TFT atm. certainly far better than any TN panel monitors
    my bad! Sorry, just wrote that out of "memory" which is obviously suffering from age a little at the moment! earlier post edited. Not quite sure how I got it into my head that the 191b had poor viewing angles when it comes to movies and multiple people, probably getting mixed up with the l90D or something...

Thread Information