Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: News - Microsoft gimps Windows 7 for European users to comply with EU law

Thanks
    • lodore's system
      • Motherboard:
      • X570 AORUS MASTER
      • CPU:
      • Amd Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 2666 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Gigabyte AORUS 7000s SSD and sandisk 1tb sata 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 1080TI 11gb
      • PSU:
      • Ion+ 860W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 4000D AIRFLOW
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 34inch ultra wide quad HD 144hz and 24inch asus HD
      • Internet:
      • 80Mbps Zen

Re: News - Microsoft gimps Windows 7 for European users to comply with EU law

Hey Agent,
    which issues do you think the EU should be trying to tackle?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    Removing IE is pointless at this stage, although I do think a option to show a list of browsers and allow the user to chose is a good idea. This approach is actually taken with IE and setting the search engine.
    Ok but who decides which browsers are on the list? Do we all include all browsers known to man or just the big 4-5?

I do think the EU should be aiming their sights at other issues though. In the scheme of things, I don't think it's that important now and much more important matters in the computer industry should be tackled.
    You mean with Windows OS - if so, such as?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    Hey Agent,
    which issues do you think the EU should be trying to tackle?
    In the technology sector - quite a few!

1)Batteries in MP3 players / phones / other portable devices.
    A battery is a consumable and has a limited lifespan. Making these irremovable without damaging the player should be illegal, although I think the EU is already looking at this.

2)Buying a PC without Windows.
    Have you ever tried to get a refund on Windows, or specific that a machine doesn't come with it from the highstreet? It's a nightmare in most places. I asked Dell for this not too long back and was spoke to like a moron. In broken English I was told "Windows is part of the harddisk and removing it will break it". I know that Dell do business machines with no OS, but this kind of attitude is throughout the industry. I also had the same experience at PC World.
    I'm not saying supply PC's without an OS as default. I'm not saying that retailers should be forced to sell other OS (that's a separate subject), but I should be able to specify that I don't want Windows as part of the purchase and have this followed.

3)Net neutrality.
    I believe there should be strict rules in place to enforce what ISPs can, and can not do with data they are handling between the internet and the users machine, and where this information is presented to the user.
    Currently if an ISP blocks a website the laws are grey at best and in most cases simply can not be understood by any 'normal' end users. I'm not talking about port blocking / throttling - again another subject.

4)DRM
    There are little if any laws in place to protect end users in a closed DRM system. What happens if Steam turns off its servers tomorrow? What is in place to ensure I can still legally obtain the games and use them?
    What about games that have DRM activation by online authorisation, like Spore did? Some games have a limited number if installs and 'activations' - who decides this and what measures are in place to stop these companies from abusing the system in an attempt to get people to re-buy content?

The same goes for DRM on other content like CD and DVDs. Any DRM should come with CLEAR labelling of:
    a)What the DRM does and how it activates (for example, a disk check vs online activation)
    b)To what extent it modifies your system
    c)How any authorization programs can be removed if they are not removed with the main program when uninstalled.

I have a few more, but they are probably better suited to a new thread....

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    Ok but who decides which browsers are on the list? Do we all include all browsers known to man or just the big 4-5?
    Either you have an independent body to do it, or you have companies submit a request to Microsoft to be on the list. I don't know what method MS use for the search engines in IE, but I'd assume the same methods are applicable. Choosing this list is a sideline to it being there in the first place though.

You mean with Windows OS - if so, such as?
    No I don't mean with the Windows OS exclusively, I mean in general - Having a witch hunt against Microsoft serves no purpose and could be damaging. Although if any issues arise that happen to include Windows, then they should be investigated like any others. Some of the ideas I've listed above.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Thanks

I do not use WMP (MPC for movies and Foobar for music) so if forced to choose, I'd go for the version without WMP bundled. But I still think it's pretty daft. If you give the user the option to choose, I bet that the large majority will just choose they've been using at that point in time.

Thanks
    • Paul Adams's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2x250GB SSD / 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GeForce GTX1080
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps fiber

Removing IE is pointless at this stage, although I do think a option to show a list of browsers and allow the user to chose is a good idea. This approach is actually taken with IE and setting the search engine.
    I guess another option would be to force every browser to have its default/"first run" page to display a page on a public web server which can be maintained to have valid download links for the currently available browsers on the market.
    The problem there is that you have to have a browser to reach that page, naturally, so it doesn't satisfy the "bundling" bee that the EC have in their bonnet - catch 22.

I think the solution is the only one practical, to allow the OEMs to decide how to bundle software on the systems they sell to end customers - they refresh their images often and most likely have to create brand new ones for each model of machine they produce anyway.

I think it kind of ironic that there are people complaining that there are too many "different versions" of Windows since Vista, and now a demand for yet more
    ~ I have CDO. It's like OCD except the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be. ~
    PC: Win10 x64 | Asus Maximus VIII | Core i7-6700K | 16GB DDR3 | 2x250GB SSD | 500GB SSD | 2TB SATA-300 | GeForce GTX1080
    Camera: Canon 60D | Sigma 10-20/4.0-5.6 | Canon 100/2.8 | Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3

Thanks
    • dangel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • See My Sig
      • CPU:
      • See My Sig
      • Memory:
      • See My Sig
      • Storage:
      • See My Sig
      • Graphics card(s):
      • See My Sig
      • PSU:
      • See My Sig
      • Case:
      • See My Sig
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • See My Sig
      • Internet:
      • 60mbit Sky LLU

Having given this some thought - the following occurs to me:

- as a dev i'd rather they left IE components in the system (as has been pointed out this would break stuff)

- I think MS are being rather cunning. They have no intention of actually doing this - it's a bit of premptive posturing on their part. It lets them paint the EU into a corner - and look at all our reactions.. they've done a clever job haven't they?

Overall though, I have to say, personally i've never minded IE being there - it's a useful catch-all - and i've only used Opera and FF (more recently) for years. One has to wonder about the wisdom of it really, because there's certainly enough momentum behind the FF religion these days regardless. From Opera's POV it's very different - and I can't blame them wanting to get more exposure (regardless of their tactics Opera is a very good browser).
    Crosshair VIII Hero (WIFI), 3900x, 32GB DDR4, Many SSDs, EVGA FTW3 3090, Ethoo 719

Thanks
    • Georgy291's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-p55-ud3
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 750 @4.2
      • Memory:
      • 4gig DDR3 1600mhz 8.8.8
      • Storage:
      • 1tb samsung F3 + 200gig WD caviar black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6850 XF
      • PSU:
      • antec 750w something or other
      • Case:
      • antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

can someone explain to me as if i was a 2 year old how exactly sticking a IE and WMP in to windows is considered "unfair"?

they have desighned the OS they should be able to stick in what ever they want.

its not as if they are stopping people from installing firefox or any others, people can still do that if they wish

also i mostly use VLC as my media player to watch videos and i use wmp for music. i use both i dont see how its so called "unfair" on vlc,

i also want windows to stick in default DivX codec and disk mounting (dimon tools type thing) sot in to windows as default...but i guess thats to much to ask
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Adams View Post
    I guess another option would be to force every browser to have its default/"first run" page to display a page on a public web server which can be maintained to have valid download links for the currently available browsers on the market.
    The problem there is that you have to have a browser to reach that page, naturally, so it doesn't satisfy the "bundling" bee that the EC have in their bonnet - catch 22.
    As above - I really have no problem with IE being bundled with Windows. An OS without browsing ability seems a bit insane today.
    Just to raise the point about needing a browser to reach that page - I presume any move by MS will not remove the core IE components of the OS. If this approach was taken, A simple form with the IE browsing component embedded would suffice surely?

As for the different versions - Isn't this down the the EU, almost everyone here agrees that a better approach would be to give the user the option, as opposed to having more versions on the shelf by the looks of it.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Andy_Carr's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD5
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 CO Stepping
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair TR3XG1600C8
      • Storage:
      • 60gb Vertex SSD, 2x640gb Western Digital Black + 1TB Western Digital Black + 500GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb Sapphire HD4870
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Modular 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900-2
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64 & Windows 7 Ultimate RTM
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • upt 8mb ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Georgy291 View Post

i also want windows to stick in default DivX codec and disk mounting (dimon tools type thing) sot in to windows as default...but i guess thats to much to ask
    7 has divx and mounting if you use Media Browser and Vista Codec Pack

Thanks
    • Georgy291's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ga-p55-ud3
      • CPU:
      • intel i5 750 @4.2
      • Memory:
      • 4gig DDR3 1600mhz 8.8.8
      • Storage:
      • 1tb samsung F3 + 200gig WD caviar black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6850 XF
      • PSU:
      • antec 750w something or other
      • Case:
      • antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" acer @1080p
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE @ 22mb

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Carr View Post
    7 has divx and mounting if you use Media Browser and Vista Codec Pack
    windows 7 has got dvd burning soft, not dvd mounting

by mounting i mean creating a virtual drive where you can load iso file to emulate the disk
    Quote Originally Posted by MadduckUK View Post
    now that i think about the word "throttled" in a certain light... its not so far different to strangled really

our boiler broke so we has no heating or hot water, this is the bloody result ^^

Thanks
    • Barrichello's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-4790 (3.60Ghz)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 2 x (250GB) Samsung 840 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce GTX 770 (DC2OC 2GB GDDR5)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750HX
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define R4
      • Operating System:
      • Linux/Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ XL2720T
      • Internet:
      • 100MB/100MB

Most people use IE because they are comfortable with it.
    Which is simply bad habit imo.

I think of friends/family pcs i have has to clean up over the last couple of years. Reason? They all had IE.

Having installed FF with noscript on these PC's i haven't heard a squeak from them, other people likewise have noticed this as well. I cant speak for present IE8 (had a look but not impressed/ just so used to using FF on Linux as well probably ) but the last incarnations have not given me much confidence.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Andy_Carr's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EX58-UD5
      • CPU:
      • i7 920 CO Stepping
      • Memory:
      • 6GB Corsair TR3XG1600C8
      • Storage:
      • 60gb Vertex SSD, 2x640gb Western Digital Black + 1TB Western Digital Black + 500GB Samsung F1
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb Sapphire HD4870
      • PSU:
      • Thermaltake Modular 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900-2
      • Operating System:
      • Vista x64 & Windows 7 Ultimate RTM
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • upt 8mb ADSL

by mounting i mean creating a virtual drive where you can load iso file to emulate the disk

I suggest before putting your foot in it you should read my post properly in future

Use the Media Browser plug in which has the facility to mount using Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone CD.

I'll try not to be too patronising with you but you may want to follow this link and do some reading if you are able

http://www.mediabrowser.tv/

Having lots of posts does not make you right

Registered+
    Thanks

No, this is not true.

You will be given an option as to what browser you want to install.... this is an EU directive...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Carr View Post

I suggest before putting your foot in it you should read my post properly in future

Use the Media Browser plug in which has the facility to mount using Daemon Tools or Virtual Clone CD.

I'll try not to be too patronising with you but you may want to follow this link and do some reading if you are able

http://www.mediabrowser.tv/

Having lots of posts does not make you right
    Nor does being new or having a handful of posts entitle you to that sort of attitude.

"and do some reading if you are able" indeed? Perhaps you need to do some reading yourself, including our rules on insulting other members, and expected standards ..... if you wish to continue posting here that is?

When you take that sort of tone, all it does is provoke a similar response (which, Georgy, it had better not) and it ends up wrecking threads. That is not going to happen in this thread.

15. Received thanks from:

Arthran (15-06-2009)

Thanks
    • TAKTAK's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 970 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 5700 XT 50th Anniversary
      • PSU:
      • Be Quiet SFX-L 600W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-O11 Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Ultrawide
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb FTTP

Actually... something interesting that i found in win7's media centre is that it picks up .iso's...

It shocked me when i first spotted it, and i had to hunt down the files to make sure i hadn't extracted the DVD files.

Makes things a load easier though , just playing the files straight off without mounting them before hand.
    Post Counts and Other Rewards, Rules, Folding@Home, Fans: Push vs Pull vs Push-Pull, Corsair PSU OEMs.

Quote Originally Posted by razer121 View Post
    Would you like me to enter you? it would be my pleasure
    TAKTAK.co.uk

17. Received thanks from:

Agent (13-06-2009),Arthran (15-06-2009),digit (13-06-2009)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TAKTAK View Post
    Actually... something interesting that i found in win7's media centre is that it picks up .iso's...

It shocked me when i first spotted it, and i had to hunt down the files to make sure i hadn't extracted the DVD files.

Makes things a load easier though , just playing the files straight off without mounting them before hand.
    Ohhh, I never knew that, thanks for the heads up

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread Information